IGNORED

Bible Challenge....

Guest LadyC

Guest LadyC

ok, candice suggested i post the details here.... and i decided to make it happen on fb, where we can invite non-worthy people to join in too!

here's the deal. i've set up a group on facebook for those who wish to participate either as active participants or as prayer support partners... because this endeavor will take a lot of prayer support. i know, i've done it. and i if anyone was praying me up last year when i did this, they certainly kept it a secret from me. i did it, but it was really hard.

the challenge is to study through the bible in 90 days. the catch is, this year instead of just going straight through from genesis to revelation, i'm doing it chronologically. and i'd really like to have others do it with me! the actual reading part isn't going to start until july 21, but the prayer support would be welcome even now!

my hope is that several people will not only commit to reading according to the schedule, but that every day on the group's page, participants will post their progress in SOAP format. if you're not familiar with SOAP, here's a brief explanation:

S = a scripture or passage that really stood out to you that day

O = your observation about the scripture's context

A = how you can apply this passage to your life

P= a simple prayer to wrap things up.

i think it would be incredibly edifying to be able to read what others got out of reading the same chapters. and it would be very nice if on the daily notes, the prayer supporters who aren't actively participating in the 90-day schedule would check in and let everyone know that they're still praying for us.

i can't stress how important the prayer support is! this is such a huge commitment. reading through in 90 days is really only about the equivalent of 12 pages per day, which is roughly an hour of time, but how many of us actually spend that much time each day in bible study? it's harder than one would think! especially when life gets in the way, and i've got a LOT of life that will be getting in my way during this year's endeavor... i've got to fly to florida for two weeks to help my daughter when she has her baby, and finding quiet time and the motivation to study scripture while i'm there is going to be tough.

so, who is with me? i'm currently setting up the reading schedule. i'm using youversion.com to create the schedule so that it stays chronological. if you want to give it some thought, i've added the link to the facebook group page in my signature. oh, and please feel free to invite others, whether from here or on facebook or wherever. i don't expect to have a HUGE number of participants, but my goal is to have at least 10 active studiers and as many prayer supporters.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Sounds Great! I'll See you on FB!

Yes

Oh and I shared on my fb page

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

It sounds really interesting! My Bible is just in the standard order though .... not sure how hard that would be. Plus I am already sort of doing a book study of Beautiful in God's Eyes. Although I have been meaning to actually read the Bible right through!

A question - is it going to be an open or a closed Facebook group?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

Hi LadyC,

I would like to participate in this but I don't see your facebook link. This is my facebook link if you want to add me that way.

Never mind found it.

Edited by PeterH

Guest LadyC

It sounds really interesting! My Bible is just in the standard order though .... not sure how hard that would be. Plus I am already sort of doing a book study of Beautiful in God's Eyes. Although I have been meaning to actually read the Bible right through!

A question - is it going to be an open or a closed Facebook group?

it will be an open group! the easiest way to do this, if you DON'T have a chronological bible, is to create an account on youversion.com, select the chronological plan, then edit the start and end dates for july 21 and oct 18. youversion is awesome, AND it's available for i-phones and androids too. (and it's free.) with youversion, when you log in, it will have the day's schedule all laid out in the proper order, and you can read it online. you can even listen simultaneously. (or you can listen while doing other things, but i'm not able to focus that way.) as you read each chapter, you check it off, and it records your progress.

for those who have a chronological bible, it's probably going to be easier to divide the number of pages by 90, and then mark off that many pages to read each day. the order may vary a little bit from the schedule i'll be posting, but that's ok.

if you're using a regular (canonical) bible, you could print out the schedule i'm in the process of posting on fb, and then mark off the chapters you've read.

and even if you can't commit to doing that much reading each day, we'd love to have you join as a prayer supporter, and you could read the SOAP's that people post each day, i can imagine you'd still get a lot out of that!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Is there any way for people who don't actually have a fb account (me :taped: ) to access this?

Guest LadyC

Is there any way for people who don't actually have a fb account (me :taped: ) to access this?

still_climbing, what happens if you click the link? can you at least see the group page? last year i copied and pasted all my SOAP entries onto a message board (not this one).... not sure i want to do that this year, because i'm going to have so much stuff going on. have you considered joining facebook? seriously, you don't have to tell people you're on there!