christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pros and Cons of Abeka and Alpha Omega

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

~pearl

~pearl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
I will soon be purchasing my kids homeschool curriculum (grades 2nd and 4th) and I am on the fence between Abeka and Alpha Omega. Can anyone give me a list of pros and cons between these two? Thanks.

~pearl

~pearl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
Wanted to add that we will be doing a great deal of traveling next year and wondering if this is a factor.

Trusting Jesus

Trusting Jesus

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
Oh how I loved homeschooling! I can't give any advice between the two, but I do know that Abeka is very popular where I live. I used School of Tomorrow and was very happy with it. Later, though, I bought various things through Christian Book Distributors and Shekinah.

Bravo for you for homeschooling. :wacko:

<>< ><>
Nathele

IslandRose

IslandRose

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts

I will soon be purchasing my kids homeschool curriculum (grades 2nd and 4th) and I am on the fence between Abeka and Alpha Omega. Can anyone give me a list of pros and cons between these two? Thanks.

I actually used both during my years of homeschooling. ( I homeschooled all 3 of my kiddos all the way through graduation)

Abeka is excellent in English. I mean the best. I did find Abeka to be work intensive, though. I spent an hour or more many evenings preparing the lessons for the next day. If you are going to be on the road, Alpha Omega would probably be the best way to go. You use the LifePacs so there is less to carry and you can enrich with other texts when you wish... for instance, get an Abeka grammar book to beef up the Language Arts. I did my work through an umbrella school... Summit Christian Academy and they let me use Saxon Math instead of the LifePacs. I like Saxon for the constant review work. Their last couple of years my two younger kids used some of the Switched on Schoolhouse, which is Alpha Omega's LifePacs on computer. That was nice because it saved me from a lot of grading time.

Mom2Many

Mom2Many

• PipPip
  • 131 posts
I used Abeka this past year with my 2nd grader and K5'er. I loved it for Kindergarten, but not so much for 2nd grade. It's a very good, structured program, but....what I didn't like, it's geared very much for a classroom of many children, so there is lots and lots of busy work. I find that my son is constantly repeating the same concepts, even after they've been mastered. I used to spend an hour a night going through each lesson and suiting it to our homeschooling needs, now I sit down on Saturday's and do the entire week.

We made the switch for the following school year to Alpha Omega Lifepacs. I just went through the entire Language Arts and Math programs for my soon to be 3rd grader and I think this is going to work much better for us. There's very little planning on my part. What I love about it is, my son will be reading to learn and then doing activities based on what he's learned. Once a concept is mastered he moves on with only a little review if necessary. The selling factor for me with the Alpha Omega was, it's much more Biblically based than what I found Abeka to be. Each and every subject has memory verses that relate to what they are working on and they are always touching on the concept of our Creator :thumbsup: Every story that is read is something from the Bible with Bible References and there is even some Character training thrown in. And you can pick up your Lifepac and take it with you. It's very light, anywhere from 40 to 80 pages a Lifepac and everything the child needs to learn is in one Lifepac.

Hope this helps a bit!

~pearl

~pearl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I think I am leaning towards Alpha Omega, now can anyone tell me the best place to buy it? :)

Mom2Many

Mom2Many

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I think I am leaning towards Alpha Omega, now can anyone tell me the best place to buy it? :)

You can go right to www.aophomeschooling.com

Also, if you wait until April, their 2009 stuff is out and it's 20% off :whistling:

~pearl

~pearl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I think I am leaning towards Alpha Omega, now can anyone tell me the best place to buy it? :24:

Also, if you wait until April, their 2009 stuff is out and it's 20% off :24:

Ooh Thanks so much sis!

Mom2Many

Mom2Many

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I think I am leaning towards Alpha Omega, now can anyone tell me the best place to buy it? :laugh:

Also, if you wait until April, their 2009 stuff is out and it's 20% off :laugh:

Ooh Thanks so much sis!

You are welcome :emot-hug:

Shiloh62

Shiloh62

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Oh how I loved homeschooling! I can't give any advice between the two, but I do know that Abeka is very popular where I live. I used School of Tomorrow and was very happy with it. Later, though, I bought various things through Christian Book Distributors and Shekinah.

Bravo for you for homeschooling. :taped:

<>< ><>
Nathele

Bravo to your homeshooling. I feel that if I had been homeschooled, I wouldn't have had enough personal disipline to carry out my studies; I guess itsnot for everyone. Sometimes, a more structured environment is in order, even necessary.

Somer

Somer
  • Members
  • 55 posts
My kids have always been in a christian school but because of finances , I'm going to start homeschooling them (K5 and 5th grade) after reading this I feel more encouraged. Thx . :thumbsup:

gocarroll711

gocarroll711
  • Members
  • 14 posts
Hi everyone! I found Abeka to be a lot of work, too, like Mom2Many. It was good, don't get me wrong, but I actually have one unique...umm...I'll call it a critique. I noticed they focus a great deal on writing cursive. I've also noticed that recent studies from collegiate students and professionals across the country, cursive writing is a dying art. It was invented because of the quill pen, and so is no longer needed, especially with the technology of today.

I'm sure they have good reason to teach Kindergartners cursive, but I don't think it will remain as relevant information for the kids when they grow up.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,786 posts
When I was homeschooled I used Alpha and Omegas switched On schoolhouse, mixed in with some of their book stuff, and all the SOS was on the computer which I liked since I loved computers. Only problem is, if you have a very technologically sound child, it can be easier for them to learn how to cheat. It was very good curriculum though, very educational and easy to understand.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network