christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Shooting sports - "Postal Shoots"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

Guest_TheChief_*

Guest_TheChief_*
  • Guests
Haven't seen this on the Boards yet, so will make the venture as long as no one is offended.

Starting a hobby known as "Postal Shoots," which works as follows:

(1) The shooter may utilize any pistol that has been or is in current use by military or police units (I will be using a Czech vZ-82 in 9x18 Makarov, a C & R that is very inexpensive and has relatively high availability).

(2) The target is a standard playing card, placed at 7 yards (21 feet) from the firing line.

(3) Only "iron sights" are permitted; no optics or lasers allowed.

(4) The shooter fires 5 shots from the pistol, attempting to get the tightest "group" on the playing card.

(5) The shots must be fired while standing, freehand, with either one or both hands being used to control the firearm.

When completed, the target is mailed to a collection site, and the targets are measured. The smallest "groupings" (center to center) of 5 rounds win awards of various kinds. The contest is on the "honor system" as to making sure the target distance is what it is supposed to be. Normally, the target is signed, along with information as to the type pistol, caliber, and ammunition information.

For a pistol using ammunition such as 9x18 Makarov, it is a fun and inexpensive way to have target practice. For things such as .45 caliber, it gets a bit more pricey unless you use hand-loaded ammunition (my next step up).

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,930 posts

:24: Chief's Going POSTAL! :24:

Hunterpoet

Hunterpoet

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
Sounds fun, but my .44 would be a bit much for a playing card at 21 feet. Next time out I'll give a try.

Guest_TheChief_*

Guest_TheChief_*
  • Guests

Sounds fun, but my .44 would be a bit much for a playing card at 21 feet. Next time out I'll give a try.

Might be difficult getting enough pieces of the remaining confetti together to make up enough of the card to measure!

Later I may try it with my FN/FAL at 100 yards (once I get it sighted in)...

cjmartel

cjmartel
  • 1 posts
Hey Chief,
I am new to this sight, so bear with me please.
At my gun club we do lollypop shoots. Here's how this one works:
You can use any .22 rifle, scoped if you prefer. The lollypops are placed 25 yards away. These lollypops are the miniature blow pops, very very small.
Each shooter gets five pops, and if you need, up to ten rounds. You definitely need a scope, you go five rounds to determine the winner. In the
unlikely event of a tie, the shooters then shoot at the sticks! It is a ton of fun.
Let me know what you think.

Guest_TheChief_*

Guest_TheChief_*
  • Guests

Hey Chief,
I am new to this sight, so bear with me please.
At my gun club we do lollypop shoots. Here's how this one works:
You can use any .22 rifle, scoped if you prefer. The lollypops are placed 25 yards away. These lollypops are the miniature blow pops, very very small.
Each shooter gets five pops, and if you need, up to ten rounds. You definitely need a scope, you go five rounds to determine the winner. In the
unlikely event of a tie, the shooters then shoot at the sticks! It is a ton of fun.
Let me know what you think.

Now THAT is interesting! "Realistic yet challenging" comes to mind :)

Going to pick up some of the mini-Blow-Pops tomorrow and take Silver out back to the range to try it out. Will post on results!

Thanks!

guppy

guppy

Advanced Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
Eargerly looks forward to hearing if the blow pops blow up, or if the blow pops can still be blown up. hmmmmmmm... perhaps this is the real reason they are called "blow pops"

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,642 posts
On occasion at work I carry a .458 or .375 magnum. They are a tad big for shooting lollipops or playing cards :whistling:

bryanw92

bryanw92

• PipPip
  • 127 posts
When I saw the title of this thread, I imagined a "Postal Shoot" to be something a little more...ummm...dynamic than punching holes in a playing card. :-)

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts
looks like it may be fun, might have to break out my 1911 and give it a try. (yes, the 1911 is still used my military and police units)

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network