christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

spanking

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
do you think that sending children to bed earlier for a bad behavior is a decent punishment I hear at preschool some parents do that and I wonder if that is appropriate to send them to bed earlier or if it would work?

chloe_fantastic

chloe_fantastic

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

do you think that sending children to bed earlier for a bad behavior is a decent punishment I hear at preschool some parents do that and I wonder if that is appropriate to send them to bed earlier or if it would work?

I do this sometimes with my children and yes, it works.

However, they are older, 12 and 9. It's more effective with the 12 year old. Now I don't know if that's due to age, temperament, gender or what. Also to be effective, the child has to be mature enough to understand what's going on. Most toddlers wouldn't.

deleted *

deleted *
  • Members *
  • 0 posts

I send my children to bed early sometimes. One thing I don't do is send them to their room as a form of discipline. I make them sit at the kitchen table. They don't get a chance to be alone, and they hear the house and the enjoyment they are missing. My son has been at the table for a little over two weeks now.

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
two weeks like non stop? :o

deleted *

deleted *
  • Members *
  • 0 posts

two weeks like non stop? :o

He gets to go to school. Hahaha. He earned it, plus he is 11, probably should have added that.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts
when theyre in diapers, I find a little smack on the hand is just about as effective as a spanking. Just sayin.

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
Shalhevet,
First THANK GOD for that strong willed child of yours,that strong will will serve him well in the future!!
and if you're like me when folks said that to me i thought ok great but how does that help me now???!!
I think we all get a strong willed child..LOL and it's not like they come into this world holding a book that sat's "My instruction Manuel" on the front, altho that would be great wouldn't it!!..LOL

My strong willed child was my son as well....Spanking was always a last resort for me.....and little by little my son and I figured it out together....
I once heard it said to decipline means to deciple and deciple means to teach....I liked that alot!!
now I was a yeller,but once I learned not to do that, but instead use a calm voice with him...He knew the difference ..when momma was calm that mean't she mean't business and he would stop challenging me...now this wasn't fool proof there were times when he would decide to push the envelope....

I've always said that I'm my kids best friend and worst enemy...a praying mother..LOL

when those times would arise that he would continue to challenge me, i first sent a quick prayer heavenward, then would follow as the LORD lead!!
when he was about 8 he decided that he didn't want to go to schol, he wanted to stay home and play nintendo.....
I didn't go crazy..I just killed him with kindness....
I mean this kid gave an Oscar winning performance!! you would have thought that the angel of death was commin for him any minute, until he was sure that the bus had lewft and then he would be askin if he could come into the livingroom and watch T.V.

So I let him stay home, when he asked i said no honey you need to get some rest, do you think you could eat a little something?? yes ok sweetie.... I made him the worst soft boiled eggs and toast that you've ever seen in you're life...Lunch time the same thing....then i sweetened the pot and made his favorite dinner....But once again he got soft boiled eggs and toast....He almost beat me to the bus stop the next morning.. I thought he was gonna break down and cry when i suggested that maybe he should stay home one more day just to be sure that he was well...LOL

The most important thing that you have to do is present a united front( You and your husband)..I may have disagreed with the way my husband handled a situation, or he with me..but our kids never ever knew it...this was something that we discussed in private....

if you remain calm before you know it you will be able to guide your strong willed child with your eyes, all my kids had to do was look at my eyes and know if what they were plannin would fly..LOL

Remember Shalheve, GOD Is a Parent too!!

GBU Sweet Sister!!

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
Okay I like eggs but I couldnt eat that and toast for every single meal. Man that is a good idea. Make fave meal then make them eat what they had to eat for morning and lunch. Wow you have some creative ideas.

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
Coffeespiller87,

Only because I know the creater and Greatest Parent that ever lived!!!

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Restrict what the child really enjoys, or remove that privilege for a period of time. I have four children, at times the punishment is early going to bed, at times a time out. It has to be a clear sign for unaccepted behavior. OF course, the more consequent patterns for that, the better as the child can understand what is to follow with certain things.

I've been working in kindergardens for some years and met hundreds of kids so I've seen what the consequences are for letting kids decide over everything. That will in no way happen in my house. But parents should above all look at the mirror and see what things we are doing that send wrong signals to the offspring.

In today's egocentric world many give money instead of time and often the rebellious behavior is a call for attention (not always). To have a good connection with the child certainly prevents potentially much the need for punishing. The effect of the environment is another thing. Therefore we are heading away from 'civilization', because it's all getting rather weird in downtown.

Off topic, but consider the possibility of demonic activity in kids too, perhaps from the school, tv. internet, etc. even relatives, friends. So we certainly ought to pray for our kids and kids in general. Often they do not know how to handle these things.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Restrict what the child really enjoys, or remove that privilege for a period of time. I have four children, at times the punishment is early going to bed, at times a time out. It has to be a clear sign for unaccepted behavior. OF course, the more consequent patterns for that, the better as the child can understand what is to follow with certain things.

I've been working in kindergardens for some years and met hundreds of kids so I've seen what the consequences are for letting kids decide over everything. That will in no way happen in my house. But parents should above all look at the mirror and see what things we are doing that send wrong signals to the offspring.

In today's egocentric world many give money instead of time and often the rebellious behavior is a call for attention (not always). To have a good connection with the child certainly prevents potentially much the need for punishing. The effect of the environment is another thing. Therefore we are heading away from 'civilization', because it's all getting rather weird in downtown.

Off topic, but consider the possibility of demonic activity in kids too, perhaps from the school, tv. internet, etc. even relatives, friends. So we certainly ought to pray for our kids and kids in general. Often they do not know how to handle these things.

Interesting name you have. What does it mean?

Ivy

Ivy
  • Members
  • 10 posts

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them". Prov. 13:24

"Discipline" implies that you are discipling someone,...ie. teaching them.

Therefore parents should discipline their children with love (and when they are calm), always explaining to the child why he/she received said punishment.

Parents also need to alter the type of discipline to make it age appropriate.

Blessings.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network