christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

a true prophet

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

Benobi1

Benobi1

• PipPip
  • 215 posts
I would like to know more about prophecy, i am doing some studies into prophesies that was done in the early 1900's and would like to know more:

what carateristics does a prophet (need to) have, to say that this man is a prophet...

vlad

vlad

• PipPip
  • 152 posts
As far as I remember there is not expected to be any prophet before Jesus Christ comes. Of course many people predict things sporadically but they fall short of being prophets. Jesus was the last prophet on Earth. But I read about Daniel both in the New and in the Old Testament. That was a prophet who could even retell a dream of another person when he had forgotten it. I have just read that Vanga predicted there would be some radical changes before 2012. May be. As I have understood they might be either very good or very bad depending on what decision they make. I remember I predicted the fall of the USSR in the 70's and some other things especially when I was in anger and irritated but of course it had nothing to do with real prophecy. I could never predict anything at will that is about something in particular by concentration of mental energy. I think very many people are giveen a chance to predict once in a while. But that is prediction only and to every real prediction there is a heap of false predictions. As for learning more about it I guess the books are written sometimes by those who never ever predicted anything and even if they did that is all beyond human understanding. And they never understand why and how it happens. Neither do I. That is a miracle.

Edited by vlad, 06 April 2010 - 12:09 PM.

Hawkins

Hawkins

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Unless one claims that he understands the Book of Revelation 100% to deny it, it is clearly stated that there are witnesses/prophets sent when the end time comes. Moreover, whether prophets shall be sent is determined by God instead of men, and only a false prophet will think that he can speak for God.

Edited by Hawkins, 15 April 2010 - 10:46 AM.

Guest_real truth_*

Guest_real truth_*
  • Guests
To 'prophesy'.. is to speak forth God's Revelation.. His Word.. and prophecy is intimately intwined not just with Jesus when He came.. and when He will come again.. but also with scripture. Revelation.. scripture.. is called 'prophecy'.

(2Pe 1:19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

(2Pe 1:20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

(2Pe 1:21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

These verses are all about scripture- which equals prophecy

So prophecy is not just predicting the future.. it is completely intwined with Jesus.. and scripture. So when someone thinks they are prophesying by starting to say what is going to happen to someone in the future.. what they are doing is not fully prophecy in the biblical sense.. and actually is very little different than horoscopes.. astrology etc..

Luk 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

The gift of prophecy... was all about sharing God's Word with people.. who did not have a complete scripture to draw from.. with the NT in process. Once the NT was finished.. (and I don't mean when the canon was approved by men.. but when it was finished BEFORE any council approved it)... they could put away that gift.. and draw purely from scripture as the complete prophecy they need.

Also... if someone really has the gift of prophecy.. when they speak about the future.. they should NEVER be wrong. Why? Because it is God speaking through them.. not the persons own insight.

Same goes for the gift of miracles.. it should always be 100 percent healing.. instant- with no recurrence of that same problem. If someone has a problem in the same area after a supposed healing.. it ain't a healing.. unless it is a brand new problem that has nothing to do with the original. Why? Again.. because it is God doing the healing.. and He doesn't do half jobs!

So prophecy.. is scripture.. it was about foretelling the coming of Christ.. and is about the future in Revelation.. but just telling someone about what is going to happen in their life? Has no difference to pagan fortunetellers.

Blien

Blien

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts

I would like to know more about prophecy, i am doing some studies into prophesies that was done in the early 1900's and would like to know more:

what carateristics does a prophet (need to) have, to say that this man is a prophet...

1. I forget the verse in the Bible.. but it essentially says this. Everyone who claims to be a prophet must have all their predictions come true. And considering how detailed Bible prophecies are, this is no easy feat for anyone to accomplish without God.

&

2. A prophet also a man (or woman) who declares the truth. You can see this with Jeremiah who went through so much trouble for declaring the truth.

So these two qualities need to be in place.

humbleseeker

humbleseeker

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I realy think it depends upon the church that you attend on how, you will get a definition on prophecy especially modern day prophecies.

Blien

Blien

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
I would forget the definitions that any church has and stick to what the Bible says.

I really hate how some modern day prophets will "prophesy" something they want to come true... kind of like the "name it and claim it" gang. As if they have some kind of magic spell or something to make it come true. It's really stupid. I don't see anything like that in the Bible that God approved of. What I do see is GOD saying NOT TO DO THAT.

Have a read here... the whole chapter of Jeremiah 38 is about false prophets but here is a sample.

Jeremiah 38
16 This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says to his people:

“Do not listen to these prophets when they prophesy to you,
filling you with futile hopes.
They are making up everything they say.
They do not speak for the Lord!
17 They keep saying to those who despise my word,
‘Don’t worry! The Lord says you will have peace!’
And to those who stubbornly follow their own desires,
they say, ‘No harm will come your way!’

18 “Have any of these prophets been in the Lord’s presence
to hear what he is really saying?
Has even one of them cared enough to listen?

Jeremiah 38
34 “If any prophet, priest, or anyone else says, ‘I have a prophecy from the Lord,’ I will punish that person along with his entire family. 35 You should keep asking each other, ‘What is the Lord’s answer?’ or ‘What is the Lord saying?’ 36 But stop using this phrase, ‘prophecy from the Lord.’ For people are using it to give authority to their own ideas, turning upside down the words of our God, the living God, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.

37 “This is what you should say to the prophets: ‘What is the Lord’s answer?’ or ‘What is the Lord saying?’ 38 But suppose they respond, ‘This is a prophecy from the Lord!’ Then you should say, ‘This is what the Lord says: Because you have used this phrase, “prophecy from the Lord,” even though I warned you not to use it, 39 I will forget you completely. I will expel you from my presence, along with this city that I gave to you and your ancestors. 40 And I will make you an object of ridicule, and your name will be infamous throughout the ages.’”

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,536 posts

.... what characteristics does a prophet (need to) have, to say that this man is a prophet....

Was You Sent Or Did You Went?

Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:
And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.
Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.
Isaiah 6:5-8

Anybody Can Be A prophet

Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said unto them, Shall I go against Ramoth-gilead to battle, or shall I forbear? And they said, Go up; for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king. 1 Kings 22:6

But To Be A Prophet Of The Living God

And Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the LORD besides, that we might inquire of him?
And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, There is yet one man, Micaiah the son of Imlah, by whom we may inquire of the LORD: but I hate him; for he doth not prophesy good concerning me, but evil. And Jehoshaphat said, Let not the king say so.
Then the king of Israel called an officer, and said, Hasten hither Micaiah the son of Imlah.
1 Kings 22:7-9

One Must Speak The Word Of God

And Micaiah said, As the LORD liveth, what the LORD saith unto me, that will I speak.
So he came to the king. And the king said unto him, Micaiah, shall we go against Ramoth-gilead to battle, or shall we forbear? And he answered him, Go, and prosper: for the LORD shall deliver it into the hand of the king.
And the king said unto him, How many times shall I adjure thee that thou tell me nothing but that which is true in the name of the LORD?
And he said, I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd: and the LORD said, These have no master: let them return every man to his house in peace.
And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, Did I not tell thee that he would prophesy no good concerning me, but evil?
And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.
And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.
And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.
And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.
But Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near, and smote Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the LORD from me to speak unto thee?
And Micaiah said, Behold, thou shalt see in that day, when thou shalt go into an inner chamber to hide thyself.
And the king of Israel said, Take Micaiah, and carry him back unto Amon the governor of the city, and to Joash the king's son;
And say, Thus saith the king, Put this fellow in the prison, and feed him with bread of affliction and with water of affliction, until I come in peace.
And Micaiah said, If thou return at all in peace, the LORD hath not spoken by me. And he said, Hearken, O people, every one of you.
So the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat the king of Judah went up to Ramoth-gilead.
1 Kings 22:14-29

Check It Out!

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

>>>>>()<<<<<

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:19

Love, Your Brother Joe

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:21

EricH

EricH

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,526 posts
Moved from the Doctrinal Forum to the Prophecy Forum

heavenlyfather

heavenlyfather
  • 3 posts

1. I forget the verse in the Bible.. but it essentially says this. Everyone who claims to be a prophet must have all their predictions come true. And considering how detailed Bible prophecies are, this is no easy feat for anyone to accomplish without God.

&

2. A prophet also a man (or woman) who declares the truth. You can see this with Jeremiah who went through so much trouble for declaring the truth.

So do you think prophets really exsist and can they lead you wrong just to make their visions come true. :emot-questioned: :emot-questioned:

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,536 posts

.... So do you think prophets really exsist....

Well

Despise not prophesyings. 1 Thessalonians 5:20

Yes!

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

Yes He Does!

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
John 14:1-3

And His Body Too!

But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God,I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
Acts 2:16-18

Even The Girls!

Joshua-777

Joshua-777

Royal Member

• Worthy Prayer Partner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts
Prophecy is still active today. Wether it be by vision, Prophetic tongues, Or by the Lord putting the words on your heart to say, it is revealing the secrets of the heart of a man, it can also be revealing the future of a man, warning about future events. It is never used to create new doctrine, and can always be tested with scripture.

How I came to the Lord holds true to 1 Corinthians 14:24-15
I came to know the Lord by someone speaking prophetic tongues, I feel back into drugs when I first was saved, Before I did someone had a prophecy I was in a dark place.

1 Corinthians 14:24-15 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

Guest_yod_*

Guest_yod_*
  • Guests
A priest represents the people to God

A prophet represent God to the people.

Everyone who is a christian has acted in both roles at some time in their life. Whenever you witness to someone, or give them advice as from the Lord, you are acting in the office of prophet.

What you are really asking is if there are "seers" in the body. This concept of "prophet" today is closer to the greek "Oracle" (a diviner of the future) and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people claiming to be oracles of a sort. Most of them are taking educated guesses and calling it prophecy. Many of them are convinced of their own importance without having a reason...like Todd Bentley for example.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,640 posts
Jesus came as a priest (ministering to us and interceding with God for us), and a prophet (teaching us and telling people about the Word) Before Jesus prophets said "this is the word of God I have been told to tell you", Jesus said "I say unto you". (because He is God). And he also came as our King.

And I agree completly with Yod, there are too many "prophets" out there (in the incorrect sense).

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,536 posts
Agreed Yod And Fez

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
James 3:17

And Here's Another's Thoughts

Letter to A Reluctant Prophet

by Chip Brogden.

Dear Friend,

It is with a certain fearfulness that I respond to your inquiry, for I am not an authority on such things. I can certainly relate to your reluctance at being identified among the company of the prophets when so many false apostles, prophets, and teachers abound. I wish I could point you in a proper direction, but I can only point you towards the Lord. It is He who selects His messengers, and I have nothing to offer you by way of what to do.

At most, perhaps you can look upon me as an example of what NOT to do, and take some word of counsel from a weak brother who has made many mistakes and endured many failures along the way. Perhaps you too will have to make even the same mistakes in order to learn, yet following my advice could perhaps help you to avoid the unnecessary heartache and cruelty inflicted upon yourself and others when thinking that you are doing God a service.

I would counsel you, first of all, to be a Christian. Do not spend too much time focused on that which is prophetic. Do not come to others as a prophet, but as a child. Let Christ be your obsession, not the prophetic word. For “the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” There need not be turmoil in your heart about your calling; it is clear that you are among those that are “the Called, according to His purpose.” And what is His purpose? That you be “conformed to the image of His dear Son.” That, above all, is your first calling.

Many are eager to wear the Prophet’s mantle, but are reluctant to bear the Christian’s cross. This cannot be. Given the choice between Christian or Prophet, choose Christian. Serve God as the earthen vessel you are, in the place you find yourself to be. Perhaps the Lord will indeed use you in some prophetic way, but if not then at least you have been faithful with the “one talent” you have been given. God will not give five talents to those who cannot be faithful with one, and will not give ten to those who cannot be faithful with five.

If you are a Christian first you will remember that you should walk softly, with meekness and humility, while esteeming others as better than yourself. Then the prophetic word, when and if it comes, will be seasoned with the appropriate amounts of mercy and grace. Remember that without love you will inevitably become as sounding brass – all judgment. If we cannot or will not stay in Love, God will set out to humble us shamefully before our brothers and sisters that we may know the depths of our hypocrisy and self-righteousness. That is evidence of HIS great love for all of us.

Now, concerning the prophetic word itself. God will give you the “what”, but the “when” and the “how” are left up to you. “The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.” You can be right on target with the “what”, but if you screw up the “when”, and especially the “how”, you do yourself and others unnecessary harm.

Jesus says, “Take my yoke upon you (this speaks of RESTRAINT on the way WE want to go) and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly of heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” What then? He gives us liberty to speak, but allows us to suffer for speaking out of ourselves. He bids us to be restrained, to take our liberty and give it back to Him, knowing that we can do nothing of ourselves. He does not force us to wear the yoke, but invites us saying “take My yoke.” By giving up our freedom, we will receive it again.

No, we cannot just do what Jesus did, because Jesus bore the yoke of His Father at all times. We cast off the yoke so quickly. We are untrustworthy, but He is faithful. Let us not just imitate Him, but let us learn of Him. Let us not only be familiar with His Word, but let us become acquainted with His Ways. It is not enough to memorize what He said, we must take His yoke upon us and walk in tandem with Him.

Since Christ bids us to “learn of ME”, beware of those who will try to gain access into your life with an inordinate desire to mentor or shepherd you. We may certainly seek the advice, prayers, and counsel of other mature believers. Even the little children in the Kingdom of God can teach us much. But people can only carry us so far, and there is a certain human pride which results in the teachers trying to form the students into their own image. This will not do. The Anointing, Who is the Christ, will teach you all things. His Spirit will lead you into all Truth. His grace is sufficient. There is no man or woman who can give you anything apart from what you have already in Jesus, for we have been “blessed with every spiritual blessing in heavenly places in Christ”.

Do you see dear friend, that God is more concerned with the messenger than the message? Do you see that the minister is more important than the ministry? If the messenger is wrong, the message will be wrong too. If the minister is wrong, the ministry will be wrong. And do you see that the Lord of the work is more important than the work of the Lord? Meditate on these things.

There really is no famine of the Word of God. If God is able to find the right vessel the Word will come forth in abundance. Therefore, He takes much time to mold, fashion, train, refine, purge, break down, build up, discipline and create His prophets. Yield to that process. It cannot be rushed, but it may certainly be hindered. We cannot force the Spirit, but we may certainly quench Him.

Ah, your gifts are given to you in a moment’s time, but your fruit, your character, YOU, develops over many seasons of God’s dealings. Do not be thrilled with your gifts, only observe if you are fruitful in Spirit, bearing much fruit, abounding in love, joy, peace, faithfulness, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, meekness, and self-control. You can be sure that there are more gifted people in the world than you, yet the fruit is what will remain when the gifts pass away. Never neglect the place of abiding in Him, and you will remain a fruitful branch in the Vine.

Expect misunderstanding. Expect persecution. Expect ridicule. Expect mistreatment. Expect suffering. Expect rejection. Then, you won’t be surprised when it comes. And when it comes, shut your mouth, go to the cross, and die so you can live. Learn to kiss the hands that nail you to the cross, for as you are decreased, He is increased. It is not a better living we need, but a better dying. We cannot reach Pentecost but by way of Passover. There can be no resurrection without a crucifixion. There is no crown without a cross. To live, is Christ: to die is gain.

So if you want to boast, take pride in the things that make you weak, for when you are weak, you are strong – in Him. Be afraid of the praise and acceptance of others, for they are the fertilizer for the self-important and grandiose thoughts that are yours by nature anyway, which spring up in the shallow ground of your carnal mind. Carry about the Death of the Lord so you may have the Life of the Lord. Be ready to suffer with Him, that you may reign with Him.

And now, some practical advice:As much as possible, stay away from money. Freely you have received, freely give.Have no part in foolish and unlearned questions, either in the asking of them or in the answering of them. Give up your opinions and go to the cross.Refuse to promote yourself, “your” word, or “your” ministry. If God gives you something to say, let Him see to the promotion of it.The loftiest spiritual service will never take away from the most mundane earthly responsibility. Take care of your family, your pet, your lawn, your business, your neighbor. Keep your teeth brushed and your hair combed.

Don’t be afraid to make tents. If you want to eat, work.

Be slow to anger and quick to forgive.Before, you would never apologize even when you knew you were wrong. Now, be willing to apologize even when you know you are right.

This is my counsel, dear friend, and perhaps something I have said in this brief letter will bear witness with you. With these words then, I commit you to the care of the Lord Jesus Christ, Who is able to complete the work which He has begun in you and see you through to maturity, as you are rooted and grounded in Him, being thoroughly equipped and strengthened by His Might which works in those who have taken up the cross to find power in weakness.

Of course, if I may serve you in any way, I hope you will call on me without hesitation, for

I am your brother,

Chip Brogden

Amen!

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

&

So do you think prophets really exist and can they lead you wrong just to make their visions come true. :whistling: :emot-questioned:

The Old Testament clearly states that God can allow a false prophet's claims come true to test His people. Deut 13:1-3.

Hawkins

Hawkins

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

So do you think prophets really exsist and can they lead you wrong just to make their visions come true. :noidea: :noidea:

Matthew 23:34
Therefore I am sending you prophets and wise men and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town.

Basically, prophets are God's representative called supernaturally. A prophet carries God's message to be made known to people, whether the message itself is a prophecy or a revelation or simply a teaching.

The Holy Bible is crafted in a way that a lot of prophecies are used as a testimony that it is from God. And the Bible prophecies will come to pass one by one till the end of days. Then God's misteries are said to be completed.

Revelation 10:7
But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets."

As a result, prophecies today have not much bearing on the Bible's witnessing. To a certain extent, prophecies no longer have a role after both OT and NT are completed, unless a new role is defined for the existing value of prophecies to be valid again. Before that, even common folks are supposed to be able to prophesy, that is, prophesying is no longer unique to the prophets.

Acts 2:17
'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.'

On the other hand, the term 'prophesy' covers a much broader area including revelation. It is prophesied in the Book of Revelation that God' witnesses will come during end times. Most likely, they are going to reveal the truth of the Bible such that the world of unbelievers will be tormented.

Revelation 11:10
The inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and will celebrate by sending each other gifts, because these two prophets had tormented those who live on the earth.

It is also prophesied in Daniel that certain meanings of Bible verse are hidden from humans and will be revealed near the end of days.

Daniel 12:4
But you, Daniel, close up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge."

So starting from Paul, the role of prophets are to reveal the 'secrets in the scroll'.

Now have a look at the scroll itself, with the seven seals.

Revelation 5:1
Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals.

Revelation 5:3
But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it.

Revelation 5:5
Then one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals."

It is possible that the seals will be open by our Lord one by one and revealed to us by His end time prophets.

So will there be prophets today and in future, yes. But their role may be much more on revelation than on future telling.

Edited by Hawkins, 30 May 2010 - 09:22 PM.

SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete
  • Members
  • 30 posts
I guess this all depends on what kind of prophet you are talking about.

Old testament prophecy is done. Old covenant prophecy would be a better way of saying it. People forget that most of the New Testament is still the old covenant.

The old covenant prophecy was concearning the Hebrew people and God dealing with the Hebrew people through the Law and dealing with nation based on how they dealt with Isreal. All old covenant is related to this.

New covenant prophets have a quite different calling, since they work in accordance with the new coveanant is should be quite different, for the very first thing God says about the new covenant is, Jerimiah 31:31-32 "31"Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD.

No not like the old covenant, so what is the new prophet declaring? Is it a future thing? No,

Hebrews 4:7 "7He again fixes a certain day, "Today," saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before,
"TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE,
DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS."

and

Galatians 3:25 " But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor."

Todays prophets aren't telling of great peril to come, no, New Covenant prophets are telling about the finshed work of the cross and howcome you are included into it.

John 19:30 " 30Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit."

LadyPrudence

LadyPrudence
  • Members
  • 5 posts

First I would suggest that you read the Old Testament about prophets. Prophets and Apostles wrote all of scripture. Apostles are just another level of being a prophet. Prophets have artistic abilities. What I mean is they are gifted in the arts...they have the ability to sing, dance, write, draw, play musical instruments etc. They will have dreams and visions at early ages and know things that will happen. Pastors cannot train prophets, either the Holy Spirit does it or some go to prophetic schools. Only God through the Holy Spirit can call you a prophet. You can have prophetic training but it is something that God puts into you before you are born. All prophets see Jesus or have seen Jesus at some point and time. Prophets hear the voice of God speaking to them a lot - it is hard to turn off. I think I said enough for you to digest. Hope I helped some.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,640 posts
I don't think you can be trained to be a prophet. The gift is given to you or not, it's that simple.

The Holy Spirit may place something on a believers heart for a moment, use them to get a message across, and that can happen to anyone.

Cuurie Blake attended a conference once. All the ushers had name tags saying prophet Fred, or Prophet John on their shirts.

The usher said, "Hi I'm prophet John, whats your name?"
Currie said "If you are the prophet you tell me" :emot-hug:

How do you know if a man is a true prophet? "By their fruits shall you know them"

Mat 7:15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
Mat 7:16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Mat 7:17 So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
Mat 7:18 A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.
Mat 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'
Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

Calling yourself a prophet in the eyes of man, or God, is a serious thing, and not to be taken lightly.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network