christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You're filled with the Holy Spirit!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
250 replies to this topic

Dionysiou

Dionysiou
  • Seeker
  • 99 posts
I am told that christians are filled with the Holy Spirit. Yet i cannot believe that everybody is telling the truth! The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity. All of which have individuals who can disagree on every level! How can the Holy Spirit be so confusing? Therefore i have come to the conclusion that many people are living a lie. They have created an idealised God within their own mind suited to their own personal tastes and preferences. Everybody likes to think they are filled with the Holy Spirit but reality shows me otherwise. Whats worse is i know of no way to test whether or not somebody is filled with the Spirit. It all a matter of hearsay.

Hunterpoet

Hunterpoet

Royal Member

• Members *
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

I am told that christians are filled with the Holy Spirit. Yet i cannot believe that everybody is telling the truth! The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity. All of which have individuals who can disagree on every level! How can the Holy Spirit be so confusing? Therefore i have come to the conclusion that many people are living a lie. They have created an idealised God within their own mind suited to their own personal tastes and preferences. Everybody likes to think they are filled with the Holy Spirit but reality shows me otherwise. Whats worse is i know of no way to test whether or not somebody is filled with the Spirit. It all a matter of hearsay.

My first question would be ...who told you this...that Christians are filled with the Holy Spirit???

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

I agree it's rather crazy - the divisions I mean.

A lot of people go the the denomination they grew up in, others with the first church they attended, etc.

Most of our denominational differences differ over things that are not as important as we make them out to be for the most part. And a lot of times we just accept what we were taught and never bother to ask the Holy Spirit about whether it is true or not. It's hard for us to break our old mindsets, too. And then there's the problem of not recognizing His leading.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,359 posts

May I suggest instead of taking peoples word for it, do a study about the Holy Spirit yourself. You will find that not everyone that believes are filled. They are sealed for salvation, they are led by the same Spirit, but until you surrender completely to God, He will not "fill you" with His Spirit.

Consider this ... if you only allow God to rule over you 10% of the time, then all He has to work with is 10%. How can one be "filled" when you only give Him 10%?

Those who have been filled with the Spirit have given Him their whole life, not a fraction of it.

Have you also considered the pride and arrogance of man? Humans want to believe they have Gods favor and will claim things that are not true. Consider also how man continues to use their free will to do their own will, despite the leading of the Holy Spirit. God did not make puppets. Being led by the Holy Spirit does not equate to being fill by His Spirit.

TomPJr

TomPJr

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

I believe that you are correct in what you said, however there is a way to test it. The ONLY way to test it is to decide whether or not whatever they practice or preach is in-line with scripture. It is sad though, that many out there misinterpret scripture and believe that their false spirits are form God. We must also remember that there is a great impressionable human element that is easily persuaded by the lies and manipulations by Satan, who has had thousands of years at perfecting his delusions. It is very important for us to study for ourselves, and not just follow blindly what some religous organization preaches. Satan has a counterfeit for everything good, and in many cases, multiple counterfeits. he even has a counterfeit "holy spirit". I beleive that there are many people out there filled with spirits alright...not necessarily the right one tho.

There are so many denominations because we are human and we let that get in the way, and Satan uses that to his advantage. It sure makes it seem impossible to find the true one, and people get wrapped up in chasing religions, rather than chasing God. Truly study the WORD, and be open minded, and allow God to lead you. You might find yourself fellowshiping with multiple religions before you find the one that adheres to scripture, nevertheless, what is more important is that you follow your convictions. God judges us according to what we do with what we know.
Rat poison is 99% good food and 1% poison and it is deadly. Satan uses this same technique with false religions and false spirits, so be careful, and if you find through genuine searching, that your denomination is preaching something contrary to scripture, then you should leave that denomination.

Dionysiou

Dionysiou
  • Seeker
  • 99 posts
Good points. I sometimes forget about obvious things such as giving God your all. I suppose the core of it all is, i wish it were different. I wish we were all on the same wavelength. This division only discredits our beliefs.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,099 posts
Just because we are indwelt with the Holy Spirit doesn't mean we are all turned into robots without reason and free will. We are still affected by our environment and our life experiences. All it takes to be saved and thus instantly indwelt and sealed for salvation by the Holy Spirit is the self realization that we are sinners, that there are consequences for our sins, that we need a Savior and that Jesus Christ, through what He did on the Cross, paid those consequences and is that Savior. If we believe this through faith, confess and repent of our sins, then we are saved; sealed by and in the Holy Spirit. But we are still affected by our thoughts, by our humanity, in it's fallen state. That, in my opinion, is why there are different denominations within "mainstream" Christianity (those who follow the Scriptures exclusively) and why we may disagree on some aspects of the meaning of Scripture. Those who bring in extraneous ideas and books should question their own beliefs and with whom or what they are actually filled with.

Matt712

Matt712

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Good points. I sometimes forget about obvious things such as giving God your all. I suppose the core of it all is, i wish it were different. I wish we were all on the same wavelength. This division only discredits our beliefs.

Another thought on this matter which relates to some of the posts above is:
On the rare occasion I feel 'filled with the Spirit' it is a momentary thing. It is a feeling of oneness with God that usually comes at a time when I am certain that I am completely in line with his will for me. That feeling might last for the few moments when I am actually acting and living in whatever way truly produces goodness in and around me. That sense of oneness can fade in a heartbeat.
At first I was disappointed by those feelings because I thought God was only paying attention to me, and supporting/guiding me, when He felt like it. I've since come to believe that I am only with HIM part of the time, and so he can only fully embrace me for a moment or two, here and there.

Dionysiou

Dionysiou
  • Seeker
  • 99 posts

Another thought on this matter which relates to some of the posts above is:
On the rare occasion I feel 'filled with the Spirit' it is a momentary thing. It is a feeling of oneness with God that usually comes at a time when I am certain that I am completely in line with his will for me. That feeling might last for the few moments when I am actually acting and living in whatever way truly produces goodness in and around me. That sense of oneness can fade in a heartbeat.
At first I was disappointed by those feelings because I thought God was only paying attention to me, and supporting/guiding me, when He felt like it. I've since come to believe that I am only with HIM part of the time, and so he can only fully embrace me for a moment or two, here and there.

I too know a feeling which fades. Sucks when you come down from it. Technically though, we are still being tested and battling through life. The reward period will go on for eternity so i can't really complain. Then again, if you can manage to stay in His will imagine the possibilities.

Botz

Botz

Worthy Servant

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts
Hi Dionysiou, I don't really think different denominations cause that much division...I have worshiped happily with Baptists, Evangelicals, Pentecostals, Anglicans (high and low), Messianic, et alia.....they just cater for certain emphases that were important at a given time, and have largely grown and built upon that.

True division comes from doctrines that are introduced into a community of Believers, that are unbiblical, unedifying and ultimately destructive. Two examples might be Marian doctines held by Catholic and Orthodox communities, and followers of the teachings about King James Only...predominantly found in small communities of strict Baptists.

I expect there are other comparisons, but even the two examples above do not disqualify the adherents to such doctrines from being my brethren in the L-rd, if they have a saving faith in Jesus.

Believer1997

Believer1997

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,823 posts

And it is necessary to prove to you that we (Christians) are filled with the Holy Spirit because????? Because you are not a believer - it will be very hard for you to understand the concept of being filled with the Holy Spirit - it is not something you can measure or calculate... it is something we feel and cherish - it is a gift from God. To feel the Holy Spirit you must have submitted to Him and asked Him into your heart. There is a basic and foundational concept that is common in Christianity....

John Chapter 3:

5 Jesus answered, Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, You[c] must be born again. 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.[d]

Dionysiou

Dionysiou
  • Seeker
  • 99 posts

And it is necessary to prove to you that we (Christians) are filled with the Holy Spirit because????? Because you are not a believer - it will be very hard for you to understand the concept of being filled with the Holy Spirit - it is not something you can measure or calculate... it is something we feel and cherish - it is a gift from God. To feel the Holy Spirit you must have submitted to Him and asked Him into your heart. There is a basic and foundational concept that is common in Christianity....

John Chapter 3:

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You[c] must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”[d]

The Holy Spirit is meant to be a vital part of a believer. It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit. When people say "God told me or the Spirit has led me to believe" they are immediately taken seriously. Or at least should be because it is God speaking through them. This basic and foundational concept has become a complicated and confusing one. The verse you quoted only underlines the importance of knowing whether or not one is filled with the Spirit and legitamately being led by it. As i said in my post, the amount of denominations clearly show, some people are not being led by God.

Edited by Dionysiou, 04 March 2011 - 06:15 AM.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

The Holy Spirit is meant to be a vital part of a believer. It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit.

"It"?

Believer1997

Believer1997

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,823 posts

The Holy Spirit is meant to be a vital part of a believer. It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit.

"It"?

Yes..... I wondered about that as well....

Matthitjah

Matthitjah

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,514 posts

"It"?

No, He!:wub:

Believer112

Believer112

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity. All of which have individuals who can disagree on every level!

Some Christians strive, some thrive and others static. I think our lives differ so is because of our experiences and what we've been taught. The Parable of the sower explains the different levels of belief in the Word. Paul was upset at the Corinthians because people started to follow men instead of God, 1 Corinthians 1. I believe that doctrines of denominational churches are man made doctrines (spiritual gifts, baptism, forgiveness of sins etc).

Mark 7:
But you say, 'If a man says to his father or mother, "Whatever profit you might
have received from me is Corban"—' (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no
longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of
God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many
such things you do."
Being saved the Spirit is given as a gift, being filled with the Spirit comes when our relationship deepens.

Ephesians 5: 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

When we are filled with alcohol we see the fruit of it (drunkenness). When we are filled with the Spirit the effect are:

Galatians 5: 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

There are also gifts of the Spirit (given by the Holy Spirit) 1 Cor. 12 used in ministering to others. That mainly depends on what the believer is willing to believe for or desire.

Even though, the body of Christ believes some things differently. The one thing we do believe in is: Jesus is Lord! Praise God!

1 Corinthians 12

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,490 posts

John Chapter 3:

5 Jesus answered, Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, You[c] must be born again. 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.[d]

The Holy Spirit is meant to be a vital part of a believer. It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit. When people say "God told me or the Spirit has led me to believe" they are immediately taken seriously. Or at least should be because it is God speaking through them. This basic and foundational concept has become a complicated and confusing one. The verse you quoted only underlines the importance of knowing whether or not one is filled with the Spirit and legitamately being led by it. As i said in my post, the amount of denominations clearly show, some people are not being led by God.

It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit

What makes you think Christians are perfect? Quite the opposite in fact. We are all sinners. The difference is that we acknowledge the fact that we are sinners, and strive for perfection (which is unobtainable if by perfection our standard is Jesus). But we know we are forgiven our sins (repentance is a big factor in that), and that we live under Grace (if you need an explanation of grace, just ask), and that heaven is our reward. Having said that, hell plays no part in a saved believers life. It is a non entity (what comes out of it from time to time to attack us is a reality, but hell itself? Nah.....)

The bible tells us (you should read it sometime), that we are to test every word and action against scripture. Personally when someone says to me God has given me a message for you, I test the waters very carefully. however when God has a direct word for me, I know it.

I cannot for instance say God has given me a word for you, he has not. However He has given you a word directly from Him.

It's called the bible.

Blessings

Dionysiou

Dionysiou
  • Seeker
  • 99 posts

"It"?

Lol "It" isn't an insult or anything. There just isn't any words that i am aware of which can properly describe the Spirit.

Believer1997

Believer1997

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,823 posts

"It"?

Lol "It" isn't an insult or anything. There just isn't any words that i am aware of which can properly describe the Spirit.

Perhaps as you grow in your search and walk with God, you will be able to feel and describe the Holy Spirit in greater definition. Feeling the presence of the Holy Spirit is a great gift of peace and love from our Heavenly Father.... adequately describing this gift is often difficult. Blessings!

Dionysiou

Dionysiou
  • Seeker
  • 99 posts

John Chapter 3:

It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit

What makes you think Christians are perfect? Quite the opposite in fact. We are all sinners. The difference is that we acknowledge the fact that we are sinners, and strive for perfection (which is unobtainable if by perfection our standard is Jesus). But we know we are forgiven our sins (repentance is a big factor in that), and that we live under Grace (if you need an explanation of grace, just ask), and that heaven is our reward. Having said that, hell plays no part in a saved believers life. It is a non entity (what comes out of it from time to time to attack us is a reality, but hell itself? Nah.....)

The bible tells us (you should read it sometime), that we are to test every word and action against scripture. Personally when someone says to me God has given me a message for you, I test the waters very carefully. however when God has a direct word for me, I know it.

I cannot for instance say God has given me a word for you, he has not. However He has given you a word directly from Him.

It's called the bible.

Blessings

I don't think christians are perfect. Testing every word and action against scripture is great, as long as you have the right interpretation to begin with. I have no issue with people who give their opinion on things, only with those who say "God told me this" or "God showed me that" and expect them to take their word on it. Some people who are confused can cause others to join them.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network