christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You're filled with the Holy Spirit!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
250 replies to this topic

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

If someone tells you he is thus filled, you may doubt it as he leaks!

If you have never been born again and are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit, it seems to me you are getting ahead of yourself.  The filling is something different from being indwelt and regenerated by the Holy Spirit.  The only directions I know of in the Bible for how to be filled are found in Ephesians 3:14-19 where the expression is "filled to all the fullness of God."  But don't jump there; start at verse 1 of chapter 1.

Denominations are another topic.  Christians do not agree on everything.  IMHO the only people in groups that agree on"everything" are cultists.  Christians are not know-it-alls.  We trust the Lord Jesus as our Savior.  There is One Body of Christ consisting of everyone who really trusts Christ as Savior, having Him adequately defined (if not perfectly).  When one trusts Christ as Savior, one is transformed from sinner to child of God and baptised by the Holy Spirit into His Church, the One Body of and Bride of Christ.  You may disagree with your earthly brothers and sisters on many things, but you surely are part of their family.  If you are part of the Geezlepuss Family, you are stuck in it; if your big brother is a Republicrat and your little brother a Libertarian, while you remain a Green Party enthusiast, you are all still a bunch of Geezlepusses.  Of course there may be some imposter Geezlepusses around who found the Knights of the Geezlepuss. That doesn't invalidate the Noble Geezlepuss family.

To know what someone is filled with, see what spills out when they get shaken!

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

True-Faith50

This is not the way to go about things. 

Please respect the TOS that you agreed to when you joined Worthy. 

From the Terms of Service.

"If you have a problem with any of the Moderators or Chat admin, please keep it private.

If you disagree with one of their decisions, make use of the PM system or email or the Repost Post button to get satisfaction. (Matt. 18:15)"

You may contact a board servant  at worthyboards@gmail.com

Nigel. (ncn chat servant) 

rebbell

rebbell

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

I am told that christians are filled with the Holy Spirit. Yet i cannot believe that everybody is telling the truth! The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity. All of which have individuals who can disagree on every level! How can the Holy Spirit be so confusing? Therefore i have come to the conclusion that many people are living a lie. They have created an idealised God within their own mind suited to their own personal tastes and preferences. Everybody likes to think they are filled with the Holy Spirit but reality shows me otherwise. Whats worse is i know of no way to test whether or not somebody is filled with the Spirit. It all a matter of hearsay.

Ye shall know them by their fruits.....we must be washed by the water of the Word, being clothed in HIM, to know the difference between a good apple and a rotten apple.

God bless

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

I am told that christians are filled with the Holy Spirit. Yet i cannot believe that everybody is telling the truth! The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity. All of which have individuals who can disagree on every level! How can the Holy Spirit be so confusing? Therefore i have come to the conclusion that many people are living a lie. They have created an idealised God within their own mind suited to their own personal tastes and preferences. Everybody likes to think they are filled with the Holy Spirit but reality shows me otherwise. Whats worse is i know of no way to test whether or not somebody is filled with the Spirit. It all a matter of hearsay.

And it is necessary to prove to you that we (Christians) are filled with the Holy Spirit because????? Because you are not a believer - it will be very hard for you to understand the concept of being filled with the Holy Spirit - it is not something you can measure or calculate... it is something we feel and cherish - it is a gift from God. To feel the Holy Spirit you must have submitted to Him and asked Him into your heart. There is a basic and foundational concept that is common in Christianity....

John Chapter 3:

5 Jesus answered, �Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, �You[c] must be born again.� 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.�[d]

The Holy Spirit is meant to be a vital part of a believer. It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit. When people say "God told me or the Spirit has led me to believe" they are immediately taken seriously. Or at least should be because it is God speaking through them. This basic and foundational concept has become a complicated and confusing one. The verse you quoted only underlines the importance of knowing whether or not one is filled with the Spirit and legitamately being led by it. As i said in my post, the amount of denominations clearly show, some people are not being led by God.

It gives authority in that whatever a christian says, if being led by the Spirit

What makes you think Christians are perfect? Quite the opposite in fact. We are all sinners. The difference is that we acknowledge the fact that we are sinners, and strive for perfection (which is unobtainable if by perfection our standard is Jesus). But we know we are forgiven our sins (repentance is a big factor in that), and that we live under Grace (if you need an explanation of grace, just ask), and that heaven is our reward. Having said that, hell plays no part in a saved believers life. It is a non entity (what comes out of it from time to time to attack us is a reality, but hell itself? Nah.....)

The bible tells us (you should read it sometime), that we are to test every word and action against scripture. Personally when someone says to me God has given me a message for you, I test the waters very carefully. however when God has a direct word for me, I know it.

I cannot for instance say God has given me a word for you, he has not. However He has given you a word directly from Him.

It's called the bible.

Blessings

I don't think christians are perfect. Testing every word and action against scripture is great, as long as you have the right interpretation to begin with. I have no issue with people who give their opinion on things, only with those who say "God told me this" or "God showed me that" and expect them to take their word on it. Some people who are confused can cause others to join them.

""God told me this" or "God showed me that"

So you think such a claimer might be talking thru his hat?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,999 posts
""God told me this" or "God showed me that"

So you think such a claimer might be talking thru his hat?

:thumbsup:

God Told Me This

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

God Told Me That

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

So Hats Off

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Psalms 103:1

To God

And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. Revelation 5:11-13

EnochBethany

EnochBethany

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity. All of which have individuals who can disagree on every level!

Some Christians strive, some thrive and others static. I think our lives differ so is because of our experiences and what we've been taught. The Parable of the sower explains the different levels of belief in the Word. Paul was upset at the Corinthians because people started to follow men instead of God, 1 Corinthians 1. I believe that doctrines of denominational churches are man made doctrines (spiritual gifts, baptism, forgiveness of sins etc).

Mark 7:
But you say, 'If a man says to his father or mother, "Whatever profit you might
have received from me is Corban"—' (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no
longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of
God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many
such things you do."

Being saved the Spirit is given as a gift, being filled with the Spirit comes when our relationship deepens.

Ephesians 5: 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

When we are filled with alcohol we see the fruit of it (drunkenness). When we are filled with the Spirit the effect are:

Galatians 5: 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

There are also gifts of the Spirit (given by the Holy Spirit) 1 Cor. 12 used in ministering to others. That mainly depends on what the believer is willing to believe for or desire.

Even though, the body of Christ believes some things differently. The one thing we do believe in is: Jesus is Lord! Praise God!

1 Corinthians 12

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.

filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

I would exclude "the measure of" as they are an English interpretive addition to the actual Bible text (see KJV, ASV 1901, etc.).

This passage starting at Eph 3:14, is the only passage I know of that tells one HOW to be filled.

You may think of it as dominoes:

1. Intercessory Prayer (Paul for the Ephesians)

2. God grants

3. Holy Spirit strengthens weak inner man

4. Faith by the Ephesians

5. Christ dwells in the heart (center, not periphery of being)

6. the Ephesians grasp the immense love of Christ

7. the Ephesians are filled.

Point 4 is the only thing the Ephesians are told to do in the list.

Everything else is done for them by someone else.

Now I don't say you cannot do domino 1 for yourself, only in this text it is not "you," but someone else praying for "you" that starts it.

zeke

zeke
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Good points. I sometimes forget about obvious things such as giving God your all. I suppose the core of it all is, i wish it were different. I wish we were all on the same wavelength. This division only discredits our beliefs.

Another thought on this matter which relates to some of the posts above is:
On the rare occasion I feel 'filled with the Spirit' it is a momentary thing. It is a feeling of oneness with God that usually comes at a time when I am certain that I am completely in line with his will for me. That feeling might last for the few moments when I am actually acting and living in whatever way truly produces goodness in and around me. That sense of oneness can fade in a heartbeat.
At first I was disappointed by those feelings because I thought God was only paying attention to me, and supporting/guiding me, when He felt like it. I've since come to believe that I am only with HIM part of the time, and so he can only fully embrace me for a moment or two, here and there.

AMEN to enter into the DEEP things of our LORD SEEK HIS FACE AND BE WILLING TO DO HIS WISHES FOR OUR LIFE

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

I do not believe in the term "filled with the Holy Spirit". I believe all who are saved have the Holy Spirit, but He will not force Himself onto anyone, meaning that He can only operate in the areas you allow Him to operate. If you give Him only 10% of yourself, He will only operate within that 10%, though He has the ability to operate within you 100%. The closer you walk in Him, the more you give to Him, the more He is able to work within you. He does not wait outside of you until He is allowed to fill you, He is already in you and awaits for you to bring down the walls in you so He can operate within that part of your life. When people say they had been "filled with the Holy Spirit", I believe they are saying that they broke down one barrier in their lives and experienced the Holy Spirit move within that new area.

I pretty much agree with One Light.. But at one point I completely surrendered my life to God to give Him access all areas of my life. I figured that I pretty much make a mess of things, and He had done such a great job with the problem areas I had given Him thus far, so why not give Him the whole thing. While I knew there were areas yet to be revealed to me that He had not entered, I gave Him a cart blanche. That is when God filled me. He then poured His love and joy into me in an overwhelming way, which carried me through some very tough times to come.

Many people are looking for an experience and feelings rather than surrendering to God. Feelings come and go when we become aware of other issues: we hit our finger with a hammer and experience great pain, and suddenly out attention is drawn to the painful finger. That does not mean that God' presence has departed. It only means that our attention is directed elsewhere temporarily. Brother Andrew wrote Practicing the Presence of God, which I read 40 years ago. I only remember the title. We can live in communion with Him. To me, this is what it means to be filled with His Spirit.

I used to have a rollarcoaster spiritual ride. I was either having a great blessing or was down because I had screwed up or because I had lost the "feeling". Finally I told God I wanted to stay in the cleft of the Rock--not on the mountain top and not in the valley--just nestled close to the Lord. And over time this has come to be. Don't even know how or when. Somewhere in seeking His Face and His will, and spending time in His Word, I realized that my eyes had been opened to the fact that His Presence is always in me and with me. His Word dwells in me. Now the biggest battle is the crucifixion of self, so that more of Him can be seen by others. lol 'Let you know when I've "arrived". That will be heaven!

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,617 posts

Exactly Willamina.  Yet, what we consider as being full is being full of what we have given.  I honestly believe that we will not know the completeness of His filling until we are with Him.  As we look in a mirror dimly, or through a glass darkly, for understanding of scripture, so is our walk with Christ.  When we think there is nothing else to give up, He opens another closet we had forgotten about and exposes more.  Yet, that does not take away from how He uses us as He can and the blessing He gives other through us.

Feelings are fickle ... here today, gone tomorrow.  Faith is not, though we may feel we have little or no faith at times.  When we feel faithless, that is because we are looking within ourselves and not at Him, the giver of faith. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,999 posts

Exactly Willamina.  Yet, what we consider as being full is being full of what we have given.  I honestly believe that we will not know the completeness of His filling until we are with Him.  As we look in a mirror dimly, or through a glass darkly, for understanding of scripture, so is our walk with Christ.  When we think there is nothing else to give up, He opens another closet we had forgotten about and exposes more.  Yet, that does not take away from how He uses us as He can and the blessing He gives other through us.

Feelings are fickle ... here today, gone tomorrow.  Faith is not, though we may feel we have little or no faith at times.  When we feel faithless, that is because we are looking within ourselves and not at Him, the giver of faith. 

~

So Amen~!

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13

ABMF

ABMF
  • Members
  • 18 posts

There is a way to test the spirits to know what or who they are of. There is a way to test to see if some one has the Holy Spirit in them. There is the biblical test that shows an outward sign. If the person does not have the Holy Spirit they will not have the biblical evidence. The only Initial evidence given of receiving the infilling of the Holy Spirit is shown scripturally to be speaking in tongues. Acts 2, 10, 11, 19 among the strongest to show that evidence. The infilling or receiving of the Holy Spirit is not to be confused with salvation.It is a separate event coming after the, or following salvation. Some teach the lie that you are not saved unless you are baptised in water and receive the Holy Spirit. Denominations are not of God. Not His idea. 

Consider the contents of what one person wrote :

Why is speaking in tongues so important? The best book for reference for this topic is the Bible.

Lets Take a look at John Chapter 3. Here we see a man called Nicodemus who came to Jesus to talk to Him. See John chapter 3.

Its important to note special attention to the words of Jesus that He replied with.

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3

Now we understand the born again experience is salvation. Romans 10

But what about the other two required experiences that Jesus mentions here?

Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. John 3:5

So here is a total of 3 things mentioned. We have identified the one 1 Born again(salvation) 2 Born of water(?) 3 Born of the Spirit(?)

Remember Peter? lets take a look at what Jesus told Him in Matthew.

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Now what are these keys that Jesus told Peter He was going to give him?

Lets back up. The apostles who followed Jesus and were with Him and believed Him left and decided to go back to life as usual after Jesus left.

Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.”

They said to him, “We are going with you also.” They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing. John 21.

Back to the same old grind, life as usual, (which happens to so many believers after they get born again.)

So what was the single experience that we can see and note in scripture that changed there hearts, minds and attitudes from going back to fishing to being men of God who preached with signs wonders and miracles?

PENTECOST! There they received the the infilling of the Holy Spirit that empowered them to live a life for Jesus Christ and be HIS witnesses!

Okay so right after the infilling of the Holy Spirit we see an attitude change in Peter, He went from "I'm going fishing" to preaching with power! So what about those keys to the kingdom that Jesus said He was going to give him? He proclaims them boldly!

Lets take a look! Lets tune in to right after peter preaches Jesus Christ in a wonderfully powerful message! What was the crowds reaction?

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

Did you catch that? He mentioned three things that they are to do! Number one Repent! Number two! Be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ! Number three receive the gift of the Holy Spirit! Three keys to the christian life!

1“Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” -Jesus

1“Repent"- peter

2"unless one is born of water" -Jesus

2"be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ"-peter

3"and the Spirit"-Jesus

3"you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit"-peter

So here we see it!

So what about this whole tongues deal being evidence of the Holy Spirit? Lets stick with Peter's experience on the issue. We all know the bible said they spoke with tongues when the Holy Spirit came and filled them at the first.

And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Acts 2.

So lets take a look at the event of when the gentiles received the Holy Spirit!

We know in Acts 10 that Peter needed a little working over to be able to prepare his heart to preach to the gentiles. (visions of the sheet being let down from heaven clean and unlcean)

So near the end of acts 10 we see Peter, who Jesus told that He was going to give the keys of the Kingdom, preaching to the gentiles. Let read and see what happens and how this ties in!

He was preaching Jesus to them explaining the gospel :

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered, “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.

Look at that! The evidence that they got it was speaking in tongues! Are we greater then those of the bible that our experience does not have to match?

More evidence and exhortation needed that tongues are a valid and initial sign of the baptism?

Lets take a look at PAUL! In Acts 19 we find that he has found some believers and begins to talk with them. We all should agree that believers are ones who have gotten the salvation experience under their belt.

here goes :

And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”

And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”

So they said, “Into John’s baptism.” Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

WOW look at that! They had not yet even been baptized in the name of JESUS CHRIST! So what did they do? They got re- baptized. I lay it to you that many! in Christianity have not gotten baptized correctly and need to do so to complete key number 2! But wait? what happened? the first initial evidence recorded there? THEY SPOKE IN TONGUES!

What does Jude 1:20 give the command of?

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

Tongues explained :

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. (your mind can't grasp it for the carnal mind is enmity with God)

What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. ( just some of them?) no each of them!)

All above found in 1 Corinthians 14

And I will close with this! If this is not reason enough and your faith is not quickened well....

here it is :

"and these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;.." Mark 16:17

There is a difference between the gift of tongues mentioned in the bible as a listed Gifting and your regular prayer language of tongues"

I hope this helped. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network