christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You're filled with the Holy Spirit!?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

ABMF

ABMF
  • Members
  • 18 posts

I am told that christians are filled with the Holy Spirit. Yet i cannot believe that everybody is telling the truth! The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity. All of which have individuals who can disagree on every level! How can the Holy Spirit be so confusing? Therefore i have come to the conclusion that many people are living a lie. They have created an idealised God within their own mind suited to their own personal tastes and preferences. Everybody likes to think they are filled with the Holy Spirit but reality shows me otherwise. Whats worse is i know of no way to test whether or not somebody is filled with the Spirit. It all a matter of hearsay.

There is a way to test the spirits to know what or who they are of. There is a way to test to see if some one has the Holy Spirit in them. There is the biblical test that shows an outward sign. If the person does not have the Holy Spirit they will not have the biblical evidence. The only Initial evidence given of receiving the infilling of the Holy Spirit is shown scripturally to be speaking in tongues. Acts 2, 10, 11, 19 among the strongest to show that evidence. The infilling or receiving of the Holy Spirit is not to be confused with salvation.It is a separate event coming after the, or following salvation. Some teach the lie that you are not saved unless you are baptised in water and receive the Holy Spirit. Denominations are not of God. Not His idea. 

Consider the contents of what one person wrote :

Why is speaking in tongues so important? The best book for reference for this topic is the Bible.

Lets Take a look at John Chapter 3. Here we see a man called Nicodemus who came to Jesus to talk to Him. See John chapter 3.

Its important to note special attention to the words of Jesus that He replied with.

Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3

Now we understand the born again experience is salvation. Romans 10

But what about the other two required experiences that Jesus mentions here?

Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. John 3:5

So here is a total of 3 things mentioned. We have identified the one 1 Born again(salvation) 2 Born of water(?) 3 Born of the Spirit(?)

Remember Peter? lets take a look at what Jesus told Him in Matthew.

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Now what are these keys that Jesus told Peter He was going to give him?

Lets back up. The apostles who followed Jesus and were with Him and believed Him left and decided to go back to life as usual after Jesus left.

Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.”

They said to him, “We are going with you also.” They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing. John 21.

Back to the same old grind, life as usual, (which happens to so many believers after they get born again.)

So what was the single experience that we can see and note in scripture that changed there hearts, minds and attitudes from going back to fishing to being men of God who preached with signs wonders and miracles?

PENTECOST! There they received the the infilling of the Holy Spirit that empowered them to live a life for Jesus Christ and be HIS witnesses!

Okay so right after the infilling of the Holy Spirit we see an attitude change in Peter, He went from "I'm going fishing" to preaching with power! So what about those keys to the kingdom that Jesus said He was going to give him? He proclaims them boldly!

Lets take a look! Lets tune in to right after peter preaches Jesus Christ in a wonderfully powerful message! What was the crowds reaction?

“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

Did you catch that? He mentioned three things that they are to do! Number one Repent! Number two! Be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ! Number three receive the gift of the Holy Spirit! Three keys to the christian life!

1“Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” -Jesus

1“Repent"- peter

2"unless one is born of water" -Jesus

2"be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ"-peter

3"and the Spirit"-Jesus

3"you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit"-peter

So here we see it!

So what about this whole tongues deal being evidence of the Holy Spirit? Lets stick with Peter's experience on the issue. We all know the bible said they spoke with tongues when the Holy Spirit came and filled them at the first.

And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Acts 2.

So lets take a look at the event of when the gentiles received the Holy Spirit!

We know in Acts 10 that Peter needed a little working over to be able to prepare his heart to preach to the gentiles. (visions of the sheet being let down from heaven clean and unlcean)

So near the end of acts 10 we see Peter, who Jesus told that He was going to give the keys of the Kingdom, preaching to the gentiles. Let read and see what happens and how this ties in!

He was preaching Jesus to them explaining the gospel :

While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered, “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.

Look at that! The evidence that they got it was speaking in tongues! Are we greater then those of the bible that our experience does not have to match?

More evidence and exhortation needed that tongues are a valid and initial sign of the baptism?

Lets take a look at PAUL! In Acts 19 we find that he has found some believers and begins to talk with them. We all should agree that believers are ones who have gotten the salvation experience under their belt.

here goes :

And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.”

And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?”

So they said, “Into John’s baptism.” Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

WOW look at that! They had not yet even been baptized in the name of JESUS CHRIST! So what did they do? They got re- baptized. I lay it to you that many! in Christianity have not gotten baptized correctly and need to do so to complete key number 2! But wait? what happened? the first initial evidence recorded there? THEY SPOKE IN TONGUES!

What does Jude 1:20 give the command of?

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

Tongues explained :

For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. (your mind can't grasp it for the carnal mind is enmity with God)

What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. ( just some of them?) no each of them!)

All above found in 1 Corinthians 14

And I will close with this! If this is not reason enough and your faith is not quickened well....

here it is :

"and these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;.." Mark 16:17

There is a difference between the gift of tongues mentioned in the bible as a listed Gifting and your regular prayer language of tongues"

I hope this helped. 

simplejeff

simplejeff

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

footnote for research:

look in Matthew.  "the poor in spirit",  AND "the poor" .... AND "every word of Yahweh"

look in ACTS "continually full of JOY and PEACE"

i.e. no one overcome by depressions, sorrow, the enemy ((even when arrested, beaten and tortured,and executed))

look in about 26 places in the NT the ('true') believers lived "as one" "in union" with GOD! and with one another.

or , simply,  look at Yeshua's one final statement , the first one also, in priority of truth to see if someone is 'really' HIS or not HIS..... 

what Yeshua told everyone the Father called....

one of the first things the wolves tore out of the flock when Paul departed Ephesus.

still gone from most assemblies everywhere on earth.

still something required to be HIS.... or did Yahweh's Word change ? (directly what Yeshua says is required to be HIS)

thereselittleflower

thereselittleflower

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

If someone tells you he is thus filled, you may doubt it as he leaks!

If you have never been born again and are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit, it seems to me you are getting ahead of yourself.  The filling is something different from being indwelt and regenerated by the Holy Spirit.  The only directions I know of in the Bible for how to be filled are found in Ephesians 3:14-19 where the expression is "filled to all the fullness of God."  But don't jump there; start at verse 1 of chapter 1.

Denominations are another topic.  Christians do not agree on everything.  IMHO the only people in groups that agree on"everything" are cultists.  Christians are not know-it-alls.  We trust the Lord Jesus as our Savior.  There is One Body of Christ consisting of everyone who really trusts Christ as Savior, having Him adequately defined (if not perfectly).  When one trusts Christ as Savior, one is transformed from sinner to child of God and baptised by the Holy Spirit into His Church, the One Body of and Bride of Christ.  You may disagree with your earthly brothers and sisters on many things, but you surely are part of their family.  If you are part of the Geezlepuss Family, you are stuck in it; if your big brother is a Republicrat and your little brother a Libertarian, while you remain a Green Party enthusiast, you are all still a bunch of Geezlepusses.  Of course there may be some imposter Geezlepusses around who found the Knights of the Geezlepuss. That doesn't invalidate the Noble Geezlepuss family.

To know what someone is filled with, see what spills out when they get shaken!

To know what someone is filled with, see what spills out when they get shaken!

I like that!  :)

Bible2

Bible2

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

genesisjks said in post 6:

I am still waiting for the Holy Spirit.

No need to wait.

For besides getting water baptized, believers can get Holy Spirit baptized (Acts 11:15-16, Acts 10:44-46). They usually have to ask to receive the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13b) baptism, for it is usually not given to them automatically at the moment they become believers. That is why Paul the apostle asked some believers: "Have ye received the Holy Spirit since ye believed?" (Acts 19:2).

Believers usually receive Holy Spirit baptism through prayer accompanied by the laying on of hands, subsequent to water baptism (Acts 8:15-17, Acts 19:5-6). Holy Spirit baptism won't result in speaking in tongues for everyone (1 Corinthians 12:30), but for almost everyone, as tongues are one of the Spirit's lesser gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8,9,10,11,28; 1 Corinthians 14:5). Many believers haven't yet experienced Holy Spirit baptism simply because they haven't yet asked for it, under the principle of "ye have not, because ye ask not" (James 4:2b). Many believers haven't yet asked for it because they have come under the influence of mistaken teachings which say it is no longer in effect. Believers can get hands laid on them to receive Holy Spirit baptism at any Pentecostal-type congregation, or at any charismatic-type congregation, which can be of almost any denomination.

genesisjks said in post 6:

I am still waiting for the Holy Spirit.

Everyone, both believers and unbelievers, has some minimal measure of God's Spirit by which they are able to exist (Acts 17:28, Psalms 104:30) and have human consciousness (John 1:9). Believers have some greater measure of the Spirit, by which they are able to understand and believe the scriptures (1 Corinthians 2:12-16, John 20:22, Luke 24:45-47). Believers who have received Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 11:16, Acts 19:2a,6) have an even greater measure of the Spirit, by which they are able to operate in one or more of the Spirit's gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-11). Because Jesus is God (John 1:1,14), he has the Spirit in an infinite amount, beyond measure (John 3:34).

Bible2

Bible2

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Dionysiou was quoted in post 13:

I am told that christians are filled with the Holy Spirit. Yet i cannot believe that everybody is telling the truth! The most obvious and discrediting fact is that there are thousands of different denominations of christianity.

Christians aren't to divide into denominations (1 Corinthians 1:12-13; 1 Corinthians 3:4), and they can't interpret any one Bible verse in a way which contradicts what the Bible as a whole teaches. Also, different interpretations of the Bible don't mean that its doctrines can't be known for certain, but that it, like the Holy Spirit, doesn't take away the free will of Christians (and those who wrongly claim to be Christians), who can wrongly employ their free will to reject the Bible's sound doctrines to chase after man-made fables instead (2 Timothy 4:2-4). If all Christians would become willing to accept what the Bible teaches when it is taken in its entirety (2 Timothy 3:16, Matthew 4:4, Isaiah 28:9-10; 1 Corinthians 2:13), then all Christians could become united in what they believe (1 Corinthians 1:10).

Bible2

Bible2

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Believer112 was quoted in post 16:

Paul was upset at the Corinthians because people started to follow men instead of God, 1 Corinthians 1.

That's right.

Believers shouldn't identify themselves after any man-made denomination (1 Corinthians 1:12-13; 1 Corinthians 3:4), but should all simply be "Christians" (Acts 11:26b, 1 Peter 4:16).

I believe that doctrines of denominational churches are man made doctrines (spiritual gifts, baptism, forgiveness of sins etc).

Note that spiritual gifts aren't a man-made doctrine, but are Biblical.

Also, the Holy Spirit's gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-10), which operate in believers who have received Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 19:6, Acts 11:15-16, Acts 10:44-46), won't cease operating until Jesus' 2nd coming. For 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 means that just as only when children become adults do they put away childish things, so only when believers become perfect when they see Jesus face to face at his 2nd coming (1 John 3:2) will they no longer need Spiritual gifts such as prophecy, tongues, and the word of knowledge (1 Corinthians 12:8,10). During the future tribulation, which will just precede the 2nd coming (Matthew 24:29-31), are some in the church going to reject the ministry of the 2 witnesses, simply because it will involve them prophesying and performing miracles (Revelation 11:3,6)?

Because the 2nd coming, like the preceding tribulation, hasn't happened yet, all the Spirit's gifts are still operating in the church today, within Pentecostal-type congregations, and within charismatic-type congregations, which can be of almost any denomination. God's Word commands believers to operate in the Spiritual gifts when believers come together (1 Corinthians 14:26-31). So congregations today should be careful not to quench the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19), such as by despising prophesyings (1 Thessalonians 5:20) or forbidding all speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:39). Tongues are one of the Spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-10) through which believers can be regularly edified (1 Corinthians 14:4,5,12,26). Not all Holy Spirit-baptized believers will speak in tongues (1 Corinthians 12:30), but almost all will (cf. Acts 19:6, Acts 10:45-46), for tongues are one of the Spirit's lesser gifts (1 Corinthians 12:28; 1 Corinthians 14:5).

Different believers receive different kinds of tongues (1 Corinthians 12:10). Some tongues are languages which people can understand (Acts 2:4,8), while other tongues are languages which people can't understand (1 Corinthians 14:2), not even the speakers (1 Corinthians 14:14). Unintelligible tongues could include ancient human languages which are unknown to history, ancient human languages which are known to history but aren't understood, and angelic languages (1 Corinthians 13:1). Unintelligible tongues aren't useless, however, for when they are prayed or sung privately to God without interpretation (1 Corinthians 14:2,28), they edify the spirits of those who speak or sing them (1 Corinthians 14:4,14-15, Jude 1:20) to bless God and thank God (1 Corinthians 14:16). And when unintelligible tongues are prayed or sung out loud in a congregation and then Spiritually interpreted (1 Corinthians 12:10b-11), their interpretation edifies the whole congregation (1 Corinthians 14:5b,12,13,26). When Christians sing in tongues to God, they are singing the "spiritual songs" which the Bible distinguishes from psalms and hymns (Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16).

The Bible sets no restrictions on how much believers can pray and sing to God in tongues out loud at home or silently in church (1 Corinthians 14:28) (just as regular praying can be done silently: 1 Samuel 1:13,17). Indeed, Paul the apostle prayed and sung to God in tongues in private more than anyone (1 Corinthians 14:18-19). But regarding church meetings, the Bible sets strict rules on speaking tongues out loud: They aren't to be spoken out loud in church meetings unless there is someone present who can Spiritually interpret them to the whole congregation (1 Corinthians 14:28). And even when a tongues-interpreter is present, at the most only 3 people should in turn speak out loud in unknown tongues, which should then be interpreted to the whole congregation (1 Corinthians 14:27). Everyone who has received the gift of tongues should be praying for the separate gift of the interpretation of tongues, so that he or she can edify others (1 Corinthians 14:12-13; 1 Corinthians 12:10b).

I believe that doctrines of denominational churches are man made doctrines (spiritual gifts, baptism, forgiveness of sins etc).

Note that baptism isn't a man-made doctrine, but is Biblical.

Also, in order to be saved ultimately, believers must get water-immersion (burial) baptized into Jesus' death for our sins (Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21, Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12, Galatians 3:27, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16). If people believe with all their heart that Jesus Christ is the human/divine Son of God (Acts 8:37), they can get baptized anywhere there is water (Acts 8:36) into which they can be fully-immersed (buried) (Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12). They need to make sure to be baptized in the name of God the Father; and of the Son, Jesus Christ; and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19, Acts 2:38). Believers can get water-immersion baptized at, for example, a Baptist-type congregation.

thereselittleflower

thereselittleflower

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

You do realize the posts you are responding to are like 4 years old?  Well I guess ones still in the thread are over a year old, but they respond to posts from 2011?

simplejeff

simplejeff

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

that's good if the 10 year old to 1800 year old heresies can be overcome by the testimony of Yeshua and the Blood of the Lamb in as many visitors as are willing to come to Yeshua instead of resist Him.

the Truth has no expiration date.

simplejeff

simplejeff

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Paul was upset at the Corinthians because people started to follow men instead of God, 1 Corinthians 1.

That's right.

Believers shouldn't identify themselves after any man-made denomination (1 Corinthians 1:12-13; 1 Corinthians 3:4), but should all simply be "Christians" (Acts 11:26b, 1 Peter 4:16).

Note that spiritual gifts aren't a man-made doctrine, but are Biblical.

Also, the Holy Spirit's gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-10), which operate in believers who have received Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 19:6, Acts 11:15-16, Acts 10:44-46), won't cease operating until Jesus' 2nd coming. For 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 means that just as only when children become adults do they put away childish things, so only when believers become perfect when they see Jesus face to face at his 2nd coming (1 John 3:2) will they no longer need Spiritual gifts such as prophecy, tongues, and the word of knowledge (1 Corinthians 12:8,10). During the future tribulation, which will just precede the 2nd coming (Matthew 24:29-31), are some in the church going to reject the ministry of the 2 witnesses, simply because it will involve them prophesying and performing miracles (Revelation 11:3,6)?

Because the 2nd coming, like the preceding tribulation, hasn't happened yet, all the Spirit's gifts are still operating in the church today, within Pentecostal-type congregations, and within charismatic-type congregations, which can be of almost any denomination. God's Word commands believers to operate in the Spiritual gifts when believers come together (1 Corinthians 14:26-31). So congregations today should be careful not to quench the Spirit (1 Thessalonians 5:19), such as by despising prophesyings (1 Thessalonians 5:20) or forbidding all speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:39). Tongues are one of the Spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-10) through which believers can be regularly edified (1 Corinthians 14:4,5,12,26). Not all Holy Spirit-baptized believers will speak in tongues (1 Corinthians 12:30), but almost all will (cf. Acts 19:6, Acts 10:45-46), for tongues are one of the Spirit's lesser gifts (1 Corinthians 12:28; 1 Corinthians 14:5).

Different believers receive different kinds of tongues (1 Corinthians 12:10). Some tongues are languages which people can understand (Acts 2:4,8), while other tongues are languages which people can't understand (1 Corinthians 14:2), not even the speakers (1 Corinthians 14:14). Unintelligible tongues could include ancient human languages which are unknown to history, ancient human languages which are known to history but aren't understood, and angelic languages (1 Corinthians 13:1). Unintelligible tongues aren't useless, however, for when they are prayed or sung privately to God without interpretation (1 Corinthians 14:2,28), they edify the spirits of those who speak or sing them (1 Corinthians 14:4,14-15, Jude 1:20) to bless God and thank God (1 Corinthians 14:16). And when unintelligible tongues are prayed or sung out loud in a congregation and then Spiritually interpreted (1 Corinthians 12:10b-11), their interpretation edifies the whole congregation (1 Corinthians 14:5b,12,13,26). When Christians sing in tongues to God, they are singing the "spiritual songs" which the Bible distinguishes from psalms and hymns (Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16).

The Bible sets no restrictions on how much believers can pray and sing to God in tongues out loud at home or silently in church (1 Corinthians 14:28) (just as regular praying can be done silently: 1 Samuel 1:13,17). Indeed, Paul the apostle prayed and sung to God in tongues in private more than anyone (1 Corinthians 14:18-19). But regarding church meetings, the Bible sets strict rules on speaking tongues out loud: They aren't to be spoken out loud in church meetings unless there is someone present who can Spiritually interpret them to the whole congregation (1 Corinthians 14:28). And even when a tongues-interpreter is present, at the most only 3 people should in turn speak out loud in unknown tongues, which should then be interpreted to the whole congregation (1 Corinthians 14:27). Everyone who has received the gift of tongues should be praying for the separate gift of the interpretation of tongues, so that he or she can edify others (1 Corinthians 14:12-13; 1 Corinthians 12:10b).

Note that baptism isn't a man-made doctrine, but is Biblical.

Also, in order to be saved ultimately, believers must get water-immersion (burial) baptized into Jesus' death for our sins (Mark 16:16; 1 Peter 3:21, Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12, Galatians 3:27, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16). If people believe with all their heart that Jesus Christ is the human/divine Son of God (Acts 8:37), they can get baptized anywhere there is water (Acts 8:36) into which they can be fully-immersed (buried) (Romans 6:3-11, Colossians 2:12). They need to make sure to be baptized in the name of God the Father; and of the Son, Jesus Christ; and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19, Acts 2:38). Believers can get water-immersion baptized at, for example, a Baptist-type congregation.

when the disciples immersed others in Scripture following the book of John, 

they immersed into the Name Yeshua.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2015 part of the Worthy Network