christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

why we are redeemed

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

DanL

DanL
  • Platinum Member
  • 57 posts
The question: “Why are we redeemed?”
The scripture: Ephesians 1: 3 (I)Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in (J)the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as (K)He chose us in Him before (L)the foundation of the world, that we would be (M)holy and blameless before [d]Him. (N)In love 5 [e]He (O)predestined us to (P)adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, (Q)according to the [f]kind intention of His will, 6 ®to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in (S)the Beloved. 7 (T)In [g]Him we have (U)redemption (V)through His blood, the (W)forgiveness of our trespasses, according to (X)the riches of His grace 8 which He [h]lavished on [i]us. In all wisdom and insight 9 He [j](Y)made known to us the mystery of His will, (Z)according to His [k]kind intention which He (AA)purposed in Him 10 with a view to an administration [l]suitable to (AB)the fullness of the times, that is, (AC)the summing up of all things in Christ, things [m]in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him 11 [n]also we [o](AD)have obtained an inheritance, having been (AE)predestined (AF)according to His purpose who works all things (AG)after the counsel of His will, 12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in [p]Christ would be (AH)to the praise of His glory. 13 In [q]Him, you also, after listening to (AI)the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also [r]believed, you were (AJ)sealed in [s]Him with (AK)the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is [t](AL)given as a pledge of (AM)our inheritance, with a view to the (AN)redemption of (AO)God’s own possession, (AP)to the praise of His glory.

Ephesians 1:3-14 gives many answers to the question.
1. He chose us in Him before (L)the foundation of the world. (God had a plan from before the beginning for our redemption. He always fulfills His plans.)
2. that we would be (M)holy and blameless before [d]Him. (God is holy. To be in His presence, we must be redeemed in order to be holy.)
3. (N)In love 5 [e]He (O)predestined us to (P)adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, (We are redeemed because it fulfills His plan. He loves us and we are His children.)
4. according to the [f]kind intention of His will (Because He wanted to.)
5. 6 ®to the praise of the glory of His grace, (That He might be praised and worshipped in love.)
6. which He freely bestowed on us in (S)the Beloved. (We did not earn or deserve redemption through Jesus. It is a free gift.)
7. 7 (T)In [g]Him we have (U)redemption (V)through His blood, the (W)forgiveness of our trespasses, according to (X)the riches of His grace 8 which He [h]lavished on [i]us (Only blood can redeem blood. Only forgiveness can make us clean. We cannot earn either, they are a rich gift given at great cost.)
8. . In all wisdom and insight 9 He [j](Y)made known to us the mystery of His will, (Redemption also came that we might know His wise and knowing plan for us.)
9. Z)according to His [k]kind intention which He (AA)purposed in Him. (Again, redemption is given in kindness and love. It is the purpose and goal of God fulfilled in Jesus, who was begotten for the very purpose of redeeming us.)
10. 10 with a view to an administration [l]suitable to (AB)the fullness of the times, that is, (It was time for redemption! It was time that God’s vision of an administration, a covenant, came to be.)
11. the summing up of all things in Christ, things [m]in the heavens and things on the earth. ( Our redemption through Jesus is a summing up—of bringing things together, of all the prophesies of all those millennia before of everything God had planned for heaven and earth to merge into the fulfillment of His glorious plan!)
12. In Him 11 [n]also we [o](AD)have obtained an inheritance, having been (AE)predestined (AF)according to His purpose who works all things (AG)after the counsel of His will, (As children, our redemption is a way of God writing us into his will! Which is what He planned from the very beginning and which is always fulfilled!)
13. to the end that we who were the first to hope in [p]Christ would be (AH)to the praise of His glory. (There it is—His ultimate purpose! That we, who were the first to hope in Christ, would be the crown jewels in His crown of glory! Who else or how else could anyone or anything save us!)
14. 13 In [q]Him, you also, after listening to (AI)the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also [r]believed, you were (AJ)sealed in [s]Him with (AK)the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is [t](AL)given as a pledge of (AM)our inheritance, with a view to the (AN)redemption of (AO)God’s own possession, (AP)to the praise of His glory. (And there it is again—we hear, we believe, we are sealed, we are pledged an inheritance as children, we become God’s very own loved possession—all to the PRAISE OF HIS GLORY!

HisMindinme

HisMindinme

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

The question: “Why are we redeemed?”

Because He chose to.

2Th 2:13 But we ought to thank God always concerning you, brothers, beloved by the Lord, because God chose you from the beginning to salvation in sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth,

1Co 1:27-29 But God chose the foolish things of the world that the wise might be put to shame, and God chose the weak things of the world so that He might put to shame the strong things. (28) And God chose the low-born of the world, and the despised, and the things that are not, so that He might bring to nothing the things that are, (29) so that no flesh might glory in His presence.

L.J.

L.J.
  • Members
  • 73 posts
Because He wants a relationship with us. He doesn't have to have one, but He wants one. And there is no relationship unless we are redeemed. I for one get chills thinking that

the Almighty Creator of the world wants a relationship with me. Its like no other relationship I have. With all others, the voice in the back of my mind says "If they would only

know your secrets, your skeletons, your failures. They would run so fast and so far from you." But not our Father. He knows all my sins, and still loves me and wants me to be

close to Him.

I know this isn't biblical, but my thought is that Jesus had our names on his mind when He was on that cross.

Take John 3:16 and replace "world" with "us" or "me" and you will understand why He wants to redeem us.

Your brother in Christ,
L.J.

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
L.J., God knowing absolutely everything about me makes it so easy to go to Him and tell Him where and how I have sinned.
That is the MOST freeing thing He could do for me, beyond buying my Salvation through Christ's death on the cross.

He has invested Him self in each of us. He said He is not willing that any should perish, which to me says He is willing that all should be saved and that all were predestined to be saved, but because of the personal decision of many, they shall not be.

DanL

DanL
  • Platinum Member
  • 57 posts
I maybe should have said at the beginning that this topic came up in chat when Candice asked the question. She knows the answer, but she wanted scripture to back it up.
The first response in my head was Matthew 5:16
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
Candice thought there was more to it than that, so I took it as a homework assignment.
After finding the passage in Ephesians 1, it became clear that there were, indeed, many reasons. God had our salvation pre-planned since before the beginning, and all the other reasons, but you will notice that the phrase that occurs three times in that passage is "to the praise of His glory."
Wow! "To the praise of His glory!" What an awesome thought.
After I had studied the passage and unraveled all those reasons, the first thought in my head was, "God wanted us to be the best thing He has ever done!" Of course, Jesus is the best thing God has ever done, but the best thing He ever did was for us! To the praise of His glory!
And LJ, I sure think Jesus knows the names in the Lamb's Book of Life. so your thought, is indeed Biblical: John 10:27
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;"
Now, knowing all this, it's incredibly clear that my response to God's plan of redemption from my life should be to live every second of my life to the praise of His glory!

artist pj

artist pj
  • Platinum Member
  • 15 posts

I maybe should have said at the beginning that this topic came up in chat when Candice asked the question. She knows the answer, but she wanted scripture to back it up.
The first response in my head was Matthew 5:16
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
Candice thought there was more to it than that, so I took it as a homework assignment.
After finding the passage in Ephesians 1, it became clear that there were, indeed, many reasons. God had our salvation pre-planned since before the beginning, and all the other reasons, but you will notice that the phrase that occurs three times in that passage is "to the praise of His glory."
Wow! "To the praise of His glory!" What an awesome thought.
After I had studied the passage and unraveled all those reasons, the first thought in my head was, "God wanted us to be the best thing He has ever done!" Of course, Jesus is the best thing God has ever done, but the best thing He ever did was for us! To the praise of His glory!
And LJ, I sure think Jesus knows the names in the Lamb's Book of Life. so your thought, is indeed Biblical: John 10:27
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;"
Now, knowing all this, it's incredibly clear that my response to God's plan of redemption from my life should be to live every second of my life to the praise of His glory!

AMEN! And AMEN! :)

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network