christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Martial Arts

karate ufc mma kata

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

GojuBrian

GojuBrian
  • Members
  • 61 posts
Any other martial artists here. I know of jasoncran. :madgrin:

shodan

shodan

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
Yes, Judo.

jasoncran

jasoncran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
ah yes three grapplers.

Cobalt1959

Cobalt1959

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,441 posts
I took Judo in the late 80's. Wouldn't remember much if any of it now.

GojuBrian

GojuBrian
  • Members
  • 61 posts
I took judo for a few years as well, but my base art is Goju. We integrated grappling about 10yrs ago and it's been a blast. Going on 22yrs of study with the usual life's bumps in the road. It's not something I'll ever give up.
I wonder if we're the only group that does kata and groundfighting? lol

Good to see there are others here!

jasoncran

jasoncran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
brian funagoshi said grappling did help his karate.

GojuBrian

GojuBrian
  • Members
  • 61 posts

brian funagoshi said grappling did help his karate.

OH ofcourse! Any outside learning can only benefit what you already know. Why limit yourself to one or two ranges of fighting?

InHeavensService

InHeavensService
  • Members
  • 29 posts
Yup! I work in MMA and train here in Michigan to go amatuer next year.

Hapkido, Submission Wrestling, Olympic-style Boxing, Wing Chun, and Kenjutsu.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts
I took a little Tae Kwan Doe as a kid, but not for long, certainly didnt make black belt. Ive thought of picking it back up again, but its so time consuming, and modern arts is so much easier.

Ohio Royce

Ohio Royce
  • Members
  • 13 posts
Ji Do Kwan

GlidingWings

GlidingWings

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
Martial Arts can be a sport to some. But I would not approve to the level of Claude Van Damme way of fighting in real life. Martial arts have created a lot of action in movies. I’ve always liked this in movies. And when I was growing up I wish I could do this kind of stuff.

But now at 40, I don’t think that way. I think now it is good for self defense if needed. If used as a sport I would recommend head gear and other padding to not make this dangerous for others to get seriously injured. This is the kind of stuff the Armed Forces should know in combat however.

I once joined a class shortly in tae kwon do. This was not a class for serious fighters. They only allowed practice but not full contact hitting. I would call this a class for amateurs. And some got belts just for feeling better about themselves. But when I saw a girl with a Blue belt on and could not perform a jump kick the right way I knew this place was not of professionals. Everyone seems to be an amateur accept the teacher. Under my disabilities I worked along with other students teaching me a few things here and there. The teacher seemed to not be too interested in helping me personally.

I also don’t want to bow to any flags or symbols or to that inner meditation stuff. I believe in praying to God the Lord only. I would either know or not know without bowing or personal meditation. I would not want to attack but only to defend if I needed. I still consider Bruce Lee as the best Martial Artistist of all time. I have read a book how he physically and mentally got himself ready for these things. He only stood about five foot seven or eight inches at 175 pounds. But Bruce Lee was totally very quick and a powerhouse. Bruce Lee won against Chuck Norris. He could fight against anyone at any size and has trained people over six feet five inches tall. He also did lots and lots of rigorous exercises that helped to build his strength and speed. He was into Jeet Kune Do and Jun Fan Gung Fu his version of Kung Fu. Jeet Kune Do allowed him to master this art to a style he could perform at best. Why don’t schools teach the styles of Bruce Lee? Too Dangerous? Too complicated? I am not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts
actually gliding, that was all movie magic in the "fight" with chuck norris, it was part of the plot, and it was after chuck norris beat him. Theres rumors of a friendly spar off set, that Chuck Norris won, but nothing document because Chuck Norris would never fight Bruce lee in an actual up front match because he did not consider Bruce lee a real fighter (in a competition sort of way) so they never actually met in a full on competitive match, to say otherwise is rumor. Im not going to get into a debate about whos the best, but right now I do believe Chuck Norris holds the record-6 time world champion, never lost. Im not saying Bruce Lee wasnt a good martial artist-all Im pointing out, is Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris never actually "fought" so you cant really tell whos the best between the two. Even if the off screen sparring match took place, it was more of a friendly match, and not a competition match where both gave it their all, to see who was the best. Everything on screen, was staged according to the script, and you can't judge whos the best by that.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
Well, not sure if this adds anything to the Norris/Lee "debate", but the men I studied under, were trained by Norris. After shooting the movie Enter the Dragon, Mr. Norris came to the studio (dojo), and talked about it some. The only things that stuck in my mind about it was how he looked (dressed like a movie star in my mind) and one statement he made, words to the effect of:

"Bruce has such respect for my abilities, that I am the only one he has allowed to hit him in a fight scene." At the time I understood that to mean, that Mr. Norris was saying that had Mr. Lee not allowed it, then Mr. Norris would not have been able to accomplish it. In hindsight, I realize that was probably not what he meant. Never-the-less, it was obvious to me that Mr. Norris also had respect for Mr. Lee's abilities. One of my instructors (trained by Norris himself) said he believe Mr. was far more dangerous being both obviously strong, and incredibly fast.

In the following article, Chuck Norris recalls his experiences with Bruce Lee:

http://www.wnd.com/2007/01/39508/

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,202 posts
I always got the feeling from hearing interviews from Norris that they both had respect for each other. Lee was a talented martial artist, and Church Norris did say he would never actually fight lee because he didnt consider lee a "fighter" in the sense that Lee did not use his martial arts on a competitive level-the "fights" they did have were either choreographed, or were friendly sparring matches that neither actually considered to be a true fight.

And I imagine, people of their caliber, they are good at it, and their reaction time is so good, that if they had a stunt man actually hit them, chances are they would deck them out of mere reflex, and someone would get hurt, unless that other person was on par with them. Lee was very strong, and very fast and agile-probably faster then Norris was, however Norris was also very strong and powerful, but I think Norris was a little stockier and could take a bit more of a beating then Lee could. In an all out hypothetical matchup (which was never actually done) where both pull all the stops out, I think in all honesty, its anybodys guess who would win I imagine it would be a tossup. Im biased Norris, but to be honest I think its a question that was never really answered and never will.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
I think that "who knows" aspect is sensible. Norris did outweigh Lee, that is certain. Lee's muscles definition might indicate a power to weight advantage, analogous to how a smaller, less powerful motorcycle, can beat a heavier more powerful car. This would create a speed advantage for Lee, which is hard to defend against, but Norris had a reach advantage. The total power, I do not think is relevant here though, because either man was certainly capable of delivering devastating power. Had they ever engaged in the ring, it might have come down to how their different styles interacted.

Regarding size, I am reminded of a well known martial artist from the days of my training, John Natividad, aka "the Giant Killer". As I recall, he was a heavyweight, but was much smaller than other heavyweights. At the time I remember him, he was ranked #4 heavyweight full contact in the U.S. and practiced Tang So Do (Norris' style - as a student of Norris) and at that time, a student of his, was my instructor, who was ranked #3. John, like Chuck, is a Christian.

My main two instructors, ended up in big trouble later in life, trouble that I think they would have avoided, had they been Christians. Too bad, they both had a lot going for them, but pride and ambition can ruin lives when there is nothing to check those human traits.

I seem to remember ( getting back to the Lee Vs Norris scenario ) seeing Norris asked in an interview once:
"Which one of you would when in a fight"? Norris did not answer directly but said that he (Norris) was a professional, which sounds like Norris thought he would win. Pressed again, Norris said something like neither of them wanted to go there.

Barabbas

Barabbas
  • Members
  • 78 posts
Judo when I was younger, now Jiu Jitsu. Also a big sword fan, I have my Bokken, Shinai, and Katana, and a few other edged pieces. I'm pretty sure there's another sword under the Christmas tree right now...ohhh yes....

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network