christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What about eating and drinking in the sanctuary?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

ambassadorforchrist

ambassadorforchrist
  • Banned
  • 8 posts
Shouldn't the sanctuary be repected and reverened? You're there to show respect to God and the pastor delivering the message, right? Are there any scriptures supporting this view?

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

Shouldn't the sanctuary be respected and revered?

well not the sanctuary itself but I guess I understand what you mean

what's going on that you ask these questions? just wonderin........

ps: I don't think it's a good idea necessarily to eat and drink in there..but sometimes parents
might give a child something

firestormx

firestormx

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Shouldn't the sanctuary be repected and reverened? You're there to show respect to God and the pastor delivering the message, right? Are there any scriptures supporting this view?

The old testament is said time and again to be an example, an illustration if you will. Lev. 10 is a great example of what you are talking about. The message of a lot of the old testament in regards to the temple or holy places is simple. Treat that which is holy as holy. We are not suppose to treat that which is holy as we would things that are common. That's why GOD made such a point about making sure it was understood that , that which is Holy is set apart. Today most treat these verses as if they only dealt with us, since our bodies are now the temple of GOD. But if everyone is so adimit, that our churches are the house of GOD, Places that are set apart to worship GOD. Then shouldn't it be treated with more respect? People would not have marriage relations in the church, or smoke a ciggerette in the church because it would be disrespectful. So I agree it is disrespectful to eat or drink on the church. Unless it's like feeding a baby or small child. Jesus said that the temple was a house of prayer. If the designated place of prayer and worship becomes common by our actions, then whats left that's holy.

2 Tim 3:1-5
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

In the verses above it's talking about those that don't know GOD and there behavior in the last days. It's also a sign of the enviroment in which we will live. Not everyone who goes to church is saved. Not everyone who says they are saved and have a relationship with Yeshua actually does. If this is how people will be acting and they don't respect anything else, why would they respect that which is holy? All we can do is love them and as we draw nearer to Yeshua, pray that we will all be an example that GOD can use to show forth his glory. I hope this helps. May GOD bless you

Edited by firestormx, 29 June 2012 - 09:37 AM.

D-9

D-9

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Just my own opinion, but I agree. I wouldn't mind if someone brought a bottle of water or something mundane like that. However I do see eating as being disrespectful. At my Church service is done right before lunch time, and I think everyone starts to get hungry at the end, but we all slug it out and wait patiently for service to end before going off eating. So unless it's a small child or something I do think it would be disrespectful to the pastor, congregation, and God's message to pull out some food in the middle of service and munch away.

At Christmas time there's a special Christmas Eve night service where we do hand out food and drink to all in the middle of service, but that's a special occasion and part of the scheduled worship, and I don't have a problem with that and other like-minded events.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,964 posts
ya know, it's a BUILDING. God doesn't live in the building, He lives in the hearts of His people. the sanctuary is just the gathering place. it is not "holy". the temple of the old testament was used for many things, but not (as i understand it) for sunday morning sermons.

now this isn't to say that there are times when eating in the sanctuary is inappropriate... like during the sermon, we shouldn't be snacking on chips and sandwiches. not because it's a holy place though... but because it is inconsiderate of everyone around you, and disrespectful of the pastor.

i think those who believe that the sanctuary should be revered and food should never be eaten in that room should consider what that means to SMALL churches who are limited on space. goodness... the church i belong to in vegas (i am still a member there, although i live 1200 miles away now) was TINY! we sometimes served food to be eaten in the children's education room and outside, but there were other occasions when that wasn't an option and we had the women's luncheon, or new year's festivities (including food), or lock-ins with movie night and snacks right there in the sanctuary. i've attended many other small churches were similar events, even pot luck dinners, took place in the sanctuary. it's often the only part of a church large enough to hold events like that.

is it disrespectful? irreverant? unholy? absolutely NOT! nothing of the sort. it's a celebration of God's children getting together to fellowship and to worship Him even with food. oh wait... are we allowed (biblically) to worship the Lord with food? YOU BET! blow the dust off the old testament and read up on how frequently God talks about food in conjunction with worship, tithe, praise, honor. and aside from the sin offering, what do ya'll think happened with all the different offerings? the wave offering and the grain offering and all those others? some went to the levites (who ate their meals in the temple i think, some part of it anyway), and.... well.... surely the rest of all that food wasn't just thrown out! it was eaten! consider all the feasts that God instructed His people to prepare... and share... i know people think of all these things as having been burdensome obligations, but i suspect they were celebratory feasts that everybody enjoyed thoroughly. did it matter where they ate? probably not as long as it wasn't the part of the temple that was forbidden to any but the priests. our modern day churches don't even slightly resemble the temple, neither in design nor in functionality.

so all this talk about disrespecting the sanctuary seems rather petty and silly to me. and i really don't think God cares a bit one way or another. it really depends on the church... and if a large church has the space to designate certain areas off limits for food and drink, there's nothing wrong with them making such rules. for churches who have no such rules, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
Define "sanctuary"

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts
In Rome Italy I know of a church that once a week opens it's doors and sets out tables
in the aisle of the church all the way down to the alter.

They place clean fresh linen table cloths, china and not plastic plates, all the trimmings of the best restaurant are not spared.
Then the doors open and those that live on the street and those that have little, walk in.

It's a sanctuary, a blessing , a meal. Served with love and a friendly face and an ear to listen if you wish.

Does God disapprove? personal I think not.

I only went once because I didn't often wish to mix with others but that one time I did,,,
well, it was a good feeling, I was grateful to come in out of the cold winters day.
It was a privilege to eat in God's house and I think He was pleased to see me there.

Want to know something , they also run a soup kitchen in another part of town on a daily basis, so really didn't have to use the, "Sanctuary" church.
Yet they did; I believe that was a good use of the, "Sanctuary" .

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts
I will NOT write I am having a snack...repeat 100's

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

and if a large church has the space to designate certain areas off limits for food and drink, there's nothing wrong with them making such rules. for churches who have no such rules, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

that's not altogether unreasonable at all... actually, this one sounds interesting:

In Rome Italy I know of a church that once a week opens it's doors and sets out tables

They place clean fresh linen table cloths, china and not plastic plates, all the trimmings of the best restaurant are not spared.
Then the doors open and those that live on the street and those that have little, walk in.

I like it because it is for those who have little or who live on the street...reminds me of the wedding feast that Jesus spoke
of where those invited turned it down and so those on the street were brought in...I'm not saying they are the same
(for clarity's sake) but it does remind me of it

I'm still wondering why the op tho, what brought on the question so maybe we can frame an answer better?

was it a free for all or what?

2Joyful

2Joyful

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts
You know and I understand..
When a time is set aside for just eating..as in a Fellowship and the church is small and needs to use that area..that's fine. But during service..I don't believe so.

Reason..
Hi my name is Joyful..and I am the domesticated goddess for our church. Those that eat and drink..tend to know it draws attention. So they ease it out to the kids or to themselves..in the process..spills and crumbs are every where. Drinks or juice being spilled..leaves stains. Peppermint candy and gum sticks on the carpet/floor. If spills are not taken care of in a timely matter..the spot has found a home. Early morning prayer..brings the coffee spills and jelly stains. Some won't even take their trash out...

This is an on going subject where I work..and it cause a hardship..because I keep cleaning the carpet over and over. And let me tell you..as any establishment..the church is no different..people will comment or complain on how..it looks/ being taking care of. If anyone helps with housekeeping at their church..I'm sure a percentage can share..no many choose to operate in that ministry. I feel that there is a place and time for every thing..and no matter how large or small the church is..there is a place within the building.. where you can go and give the kids juice/snacks. As well as for early morning prayer..leave early enough and eat breakfast in the car or wait until leaving. Babies are a totally different story..I feel that's alright.

Is it biblical not to eat/drink..I have no idea..
But I do believe..respect should be given to the House of the Lord.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
I would not eat during a sermon, or while worshiping (can't sing with a mouth full of food...), but we meet in a hall, and on the side we have tables set up for tea, coffee, juice, etc, for after the service, we then hang out and drink coffee, etc, while the team on duty puts away the sound equipment, etc.

I just think that eating while our pastor is teaching is a bit disrespectful.

Otherwise, does Jesus mind if we eat in the same place we worship? I don't think so, as long as it is not during the service and only because that can detract from the message, and as I said, is disrespectful to the person delivering it, not for any scriptural or doctrinal reason.

The next night there might be a wedding or a party in the same space we use to meet...

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

1 Corin 11
20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

How about showing respect and reverence through what you eat and drink (not where you eat and drink) since if you are a believer, you body is the temple of God. Just a thought!

OldShep

OldShep

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

It's a sanctuary, a blessing , a meal. Served with love and a friendly face and an ear to listen if you wish.

Does God disapprove? personal I think not.

I only went once because I didn't often wish to mix with others but that one time I did,,,
well, it was a good feeling, I was grateful to come in out of the cold winters day.
It was a privilege to eat in God's house and I think He was pleased to see me there.

Want to know something , they also run a soup kitchen in another part of town on a daily basis, so really didn't have to use the, "Sanctuary" church.
Yet they did; I believe that was a good use of the, "Sanctuary" .

Sounds like a very good use of a building that was not being used as a meeting place for the Christians that go there that day.

Mat 25:35
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
Mat 25:36
I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
Mat 25:37
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?
Mat 25:38
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
Mat 25:39
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
Mat 25:40
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Dennis

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts
my church often has dinners in the sanctuary, often because its the largest room in the building. I would say it depends on the church really-leave it up to the church to decide whats appropriate and whats not, whats most important, is the church bodies reverence toward God.

Oneaccords

Oneaccords

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

i cant think of any scriptures at the moment. Now i can

1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
1Co 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
1Co 3:20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
1Co 3:21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
1Co 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
1Co 3:23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

The temple in Jerusalem got destroyed about 66 AD. Therefore there was no temple building for the Christians, the Christians are the temple of God. Respect the Christians.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

1 Corin 11
20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

The verses above actually are with reference to a specific occurrence and are not general instruction unless the same
type of situation would exist, The Corinthians were making a meal of it...drinking, getting drunk etc while supposedly
observing the Lord's supper.

That, is not how to remember our Lord and so Paul tells them to stuff their faces at home and do their drinking elsewhere
and to have reverence. These are not verses telling us to abstain from eating or drinking in the sanctuary

In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. 18In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. 19No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval. 20When you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, 21for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk. 22Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? Certainly not!

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
Act 17:24 The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man,

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts
I agree with both sides, yes the we are the temple of the Lord but, if you have a specific place for worship and have another for dining then NO the sanctuary should not be a place for eating or drinking. If you only have a sanctuary and have removable chairs and the service is completed then yes you should eat there. But, if it is one of the purpose driven style churches where anything goes including the minister coming in and having his coffee while inspiring you - NO! My suggestion is LEAVE!

rjp34652

rjp34652

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Americans are so FAT and OBSESSED with eating that they can't stop it for an hour to sit in god's house and feed their spirit instead of their faces.

The only thing worse than someone pigging out during a worship service is the satanic shepard in the pulpit who lets him do it. Those who preside over such services are not God's leaders. They are parasites on the body of Christ and liars who make those who follow them twice as fit for hell as they are themselves.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by rjp34652, 02 July 2012 - 10:53 PM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network