christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Teaching your kids the Ten Commandments

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

shodan

shodan

• PipPip
  • 136 posts
At the LifeLight festival Labor Day weekend, one speaker, a famous skateboarder, asked how many knew the Ten Commandments. Another band noted the need for parents to mentor their children. A big part of that should be teaching them the basics about God's word.

Here is a poem that makes it easy to teach kids the Ten Commandments. Share it with others.

http://textsincontex...n-commandments/

Edited by shodan, 06 September 2012 - 11:17 AM.

B3L13v3R

B3L13v3R

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Interesting word thought, I like the fact that it admonishes the children to read the rest from Exodus 20 as well.

From your link:

Above all e"se love God alone;
Bow down to neither wood nor stone.
God’s name refuse to take in vain;
The Sabbath rest with care maintain.
Respect your parents all your days;
Hold sacred human life always.
Be loyal to your chosen mate;
Steal nothing neither small nor great.
Report, with truth, your neighbor’s deed;
And rid your mind of selfish greed.

This is an easy way for children to begin to learn them. As they grow, read them the text itself, Exodus 20."

-In addition, here is a link to a free pictorial "Teach Kids the Ten Commandments" (flipchart) from Living Waters.

This is a PDF which can be saved to your computer.

Based on children's pictures on memorizing the Ten Commandments, a test at the end with message of Salvation in Christ.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,458 posts
Amen~!

shodan

shodan

• PipPip
  • 136 posts
Thanks for that other resource!

Hope people will pass these links around to other Christian parents. With biblical illiteracy so high, we need to work steadily on rebuilding the crumbling walls.

linehaul

linehaul
  • Members
  • 39 posts
I fully believe we should study and understand the Ten Commandments. I believe we should teach our children too do the same. But it is impossible for mankind to ever live up to the Ten Commandments. God gave the Ten Commandments and only God could and did fulfill them.

So why study them.. Once you understand that you can not fulfill the Ten Commandments, and that if you do try and fail, you'll be judged by the Ten Commandments (not good). You come to the understanding that they are a teacher,, they are trying to teach us that we needed something else to unlock the doors of Heaven. We needed another way to be judged. Jesus is that key, and Jesus is our spokesman in Heaven and is our defense attorney at time of Judgement (very good).

God Bless
Linehaul

georgedrw81

georgedrw81

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
The Ten Commandments can be fulfilled by each one of us every moment and it is our journey to arrive to the True Light through Jesus.
Blessings

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

The Ten Commandments can be fulfilled by each one of us every moment and it is our journey to arrive to the True Light through Jesus.
Blessings

Amen!

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Of course our children are merely carnal in nature until they receive Christ and are able to walk in the spirit. The 10 commandments are an excellent teaching tool, as they are righteous though we do not get our righteousness from doing them.

Gary

linehaul

linehaul
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Blessings

georgedrw81,,

Oh how I feel for you.. The Ten Commandments are the absolute standard of absolute Perfection,, Given by God, written by His hand into the stone tablets.. To achieve the fulfillment of the Ten Commandments you have to be absolutly perfect,, mankind is far from perfect. The Ten Commandments where given by God, later fulfilled by God in the form of the Son "Jesus" that man could recieve the fulfillment through Jesus.. You are seting yourself up for one rough time if you beleive you'll ever fulfil the Ten Commmandments.

I'm not going to go into the full detail, but believe me when I say you'll never be Saved or Justified in or through the Ten Commandments.. You just cannot acommplish this task. The Ten Commandments are still a valued teaching,, simply because it helps to fortify our commonsence and morals..

God bless
Linehaul

linehaul

linehaul
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Blessings

Amen!

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Of course our children are merely carnal in nature until they receive Christ and are able to walk in the spirit. The 10 commandments are an excellent teaching tool, as they are righteous though we do not get our righteousness from doing them.

Gary

gdemoss,,

Romans 1:1-6
[1] Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
[2] (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
[3] Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
[4] And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
[5] By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
[6] Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

Romans 1:11-17
[11] For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
[12] That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
[13] Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.
[14] I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
[15] So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
[16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
[17] For therein (therein = The Gosple) is a righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Here's a starting point for you to continue on with.. You find Paul goes on to teach all the world is Guilty (both Jew and Gentile) under the Law of the Old Testiment,, the Old Covenant.. Jesus has given us the New Testiment,, a New Covenant,, a new Law.. the Law of Grace by the sheading of His blood.. The Law of Salvation by the Death and Resurecton of our Lord.

God gave the Law of Absolute Perfection and only God could fulfill this Law.. Jesus is the only person to have walked the earth that could, would and did fulfill the Ten Commandments.

God bless
Linehaul

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Blessings

Amen!

Gary

gdemoss,,

[1] Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
[3] Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
[4] And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
[5] By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

[11] For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
[12] That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
[13] Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.
[14] I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
[15] So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
[16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
[17] For therein (therein = The Gosple) is a righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Here's a starting point for you to continue on with.. You find Paul goes on to teach all the world is Guilty (both Jew and Gentile) under the Law of the Old Testiment,, the Old Covenant.. Jesus has given us the New Testiment,, a New Covenant,, a new Law.. the Law of Grace by the sheading of His blood.. The Law of Salvation by the Death and Resurecton of our Lord.

God gave the Law of Absolute Perfection and only God could fulfill this Law.. Jesus is the only person to have walked the earth that could, would and did fulfill the Ten Commandments.

God bless
Linehaul

Your wasting your time with me if you think that you will somehow teach me that we cannot be like Jesus. That is not biblical. While none of us can be without sin because we were born with it in our flesh and have given in to it as slaves until Jesus came to set us free, the bible explains clearly that God has provided us with everything we need to be able to walk as Jesus walked while he was here. My desire is to utilize the tools God has provided to do just that.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts

Blessings

You can keep the ten commandments for your entire life from birth and still go to hell.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts
I might add that we taught our kids the two commandments.... the two that Jesus gave us to live by when we are saved.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts

I might add that we taught our kids the two commandments.... the two that Jesus gave us to live by when we are saved.

Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Not;

"These two commandments abolish the 10".

The 10 exist as a witness on how to obey the two. If you commit idolatry, make graven images, take the Name in vain or pollute the Sabbath, you are not obeying the greatest commandment. If you dishonor your parents, murder, commit adultery, steal, bear false witness or covet, then you are not obeying the second greatest commandment.

Take a look at who goes to heaven and who goes to hell....

Matt 25:31-26:1
31 "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 "And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You drink? 38'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39'And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' 41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' 44 "Then they themselves also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' 45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

NASB

You might want to stress this to your kids.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,813 posts
Oh, and btw..... which of the ten commandments did these people break?????

The laws of moses including the ten commandments are designed to make you fear God and not do things.

The commandments that Jesus gave us are designed to have us love God and to do things, not abstain from things.....

And you won't get to heaven if you're not operating within the two commandments that jesus gave us.

linehaul

linehaul
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Blessings

Amen!

Gary

gdemoss,,

God bless
Linehaul

Your wasting your time with me if you think that you will somehow teach me that we cannot be like Jesus. That is not biblical. While none of us can be without sin because we were born with it in our flesh and have given in to it as slaves until Jesus came to set us free, the bible explains clearly that God has provided us with everything we need to be able to walk as Jesus walked while he was here. My desire is to utilize the tools God has provided to do just that.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

gdemoss,

I'm not saying you can't be like Jesus, I'm saying you can't be Jesus. There is no saving grace for us as humans within the Ten Commandments. We just can not fulfill them. Jesus is the truth, the light and the way.

God bless
linehaul

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Blessings

Amen!

Gary

gdemoss,,

God bless
Linehaul

In Jesus Name,

Gary

gdemoss,

I'm not saying you can't be like Jesus, I'm saying you can't be Jesus. There is no saving grace for us as humans within the Ten Commandments. We just can not fulfill them. Jesus is the truth, the light and the way.

God bless
linehaul

Jesus came to take away the sin (singular) of the world away. To destroy the works of the devil, which was causing man to do that which is right in his own eyes, which eyes were opened but not enlightened in the garden of Eden. We can now most certainly fulfill the righteous requirements of the law, when we walk in the Spirit given unto us and not in the flesh. The flesh profits nothing but the Spirit of the living God can quicken our mortal flesh so that we do not have to continue in sin as a slave to sin but instead can become slaves unto righteousness. Presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice unto God which is our reasonable service, everything else being unreasonable. We must die to ourselves that we might be alive unto God.

The 10 commandments are a cake walk when the Holy Spirit is overflowing your cup. Especially since God cleared them up for us as concerning things like the Sabbath and all (that was for you joco :) ) What we need to do is simply submit unto him and ask, seek and knock. Knowing that all things are possible with God, including having the power to empower us to do his will always.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,107 posts
OK, one thread has been closed because of the bickering about the Sabbath, This thread is about teaching your children the 10 Commandments. Even though the Sabbath is part of this, I highly suggest that this thread does not go down the same road as the last. Focus on the teaching and the children, not the Sabbath.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Blessings

Amen!

Gary

gdemoss,,

God bless
Linehaul

In Jesus Name,

Gary

gdemoss,

God bless
linehaul

Jesus came to take away the sin (singular) of the world away. To destroy the works of the devil, which was causing man to do that which is right in his own eyes, which eyes were opened but not enlightened in the garden of Eden. We can now most certainly fulfill the righteous requirements of the law, when we walk in the Spirit given unto us and not in the flesh. The flesh profits nothing but the Spirit of the living God can quicken our mortal flesh so that we do not have to continue in sin as a slave to sin but instead can become slaves unto righteousness. Presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice unto God which is our reasonable service, everything else being unreasonable. We must die to ourselves that we might be alive unto God.

The 10 commandments are a cake walk when the Holy Spirit is overflowing your cup. Especially since God cleared them up for us as concerning things like the Sabbath and all (that was for you joco :) ) What we need to do is simply submit unto him and ask, seek and knock. Knowing that all things are possible with God, including having the power to empower us to do his will always.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

Good answer Gary. I'm just note sure what you meant by, " Especially since God cleared them up for us as concerning things like the Sabbath and all". How did He "clear them up"?

What Onelight said. No need to get another thread locked because there is no agreement on what it means to keep the Sabbath. You and I have expressed ourselves in the other thread. We disagree. God will sort it all out soon. Have a great day.

Gary

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

I was not referring to the Sabbath, but to all Ten Commandments in general and how "God cleared them up". Does that mean "how He showed us in the NT that they should still be kept" or that "He showed us in the NT how they should be kept" or something else?

That he showed us through Christ how to fulfill all the righteous requirements of the law and much more. To help us to understand why it is that the priests profane the temple and are blameless, which is important since we have a priesthood of our own as we minister in the temple daily before the Lord offering sacrifice. Christ in us, the hope of glory. All praise, honor and glory unto God for sanctifying us in his truth that we might walk worthy of the vocation wherein we are called by the spirit and not the letter.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,107 posts

OK, one thread has been closed because of the bickering about the Sabbath, This thread is about teaching your children the 10 Commandments. Even though the Sabbath is part of this, I highly suggest that this thread does not go down the same road as the last. Focus on the teaching and the children, not the Sabbath.

One cannot separate teaching the Sabbath from teaching the Ten Commandments. The best way to teach them to our children is by example. They see how we refuse to cheat on our taxes and steal from the government; they see how we return money to the cashier if she gave us too much change. By our example, they learn not to steal. The same holds true for all ten commandments. However, if they see us working on the seventh day, they learn to do the same. They learn to break the 4th commandment and figure out ways to justify doing so. If, however, we do not need to keep the fourth commandment any more, then this thread should be renamed "Teaching Your Kids The Nine Commandments."

Jesus said it best. As for an example, He should be everyone's example.

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Teach this and allow the Holy Spirit to do His job. He was sent to condemn the world of sin, not us.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network