Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shodan

Teaching your kids the Ten Commandments

44 posts in this topic

Sigh.

The 2 Laws of love sum up all the Law and the Prophets.

The 10 Commandments are guidelines to help show us what that looks like.

Can we leave it at that?

You either have to say that they are no longer valid and we are under the laws that Jesus gave us if we are believers, or one must still live by the fourth commandment, for no one has stripped only one from the ten...... so no, I personally can't leave it at that...

Interesting. Other members here have expressed continued disagreement with you as well, joco, yet you are not accusing them of attacking or maligning you. Why are you singling me out this way?

Interesting. Other members here have expressed continued disagreement with you as well, joco, yet you are not accusing them of attacking or maligning you. Why are you singling me out this way?

I am not singling you out. I guess you haven't been following my posts too closely. I have accused several others of attacking me personally instead of my message. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. That is to be expected. My problem is with people that feel it necessary to speak evil of me rather than addressing the supposed errors in my beliefs.

See, when you say something like...

the supposed errors in my beliefs.

It comes across as a bit haughty......

I agree with nebula about the "theological whip" joco. Sometimes we need to season our answers and replies with grace, because these words travel all over the place, and some people's skins are not as thick as others.

I am not singling you out. I guess you haven't been following my posts too closely. I have accused several others of attacking me personally instead of my message. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. That is to be expected. My problem is with people that feel it necessary to speak evil of me rather than addressing the supposed errors in my beliefs.

See, when you say something like...

the supposed errors in my beliefs.

It comes across as a bit haughty......

I agree with nebula about the "theological whip" joco. Sometimes we need to season our answers and replies with grace, because these words travel all over the place, and some people's skins are not as thick as others.

OK Fez, I'll try to season my words with more salt than I have been using.

Now how about you commenting on this section of Mercy Me's song:

And Lord said

Have no other gods but God

To worship idols just won't do

Be careful with the way you use God's name

And keep Sunday special too.

Do these words teach truth to our children? Did "the Lord" really say to keep Sunday special? Was I wrong to express righteous indignation over this? Even if I were a Sunday keeper, I would know how false this statement is.

You need to relax a bit.Your "righteous indignation" is a bit strong?

We are talking about a song for kids at Sunday school! Most of whom would have forgotten the song five minutes after they were asked to cut out an angel shape, stick wings on it and cover it with silver glitter and glue and stand it alongside the sheep cutout they made last week....

I would like to see where the bible commands that we display 'righteous indignation' toward that which we do not agree or see as truth. If I am wrong for choosing to meekly instruct those who set themselves in opposition instead of giving them the what for and berating them for being wrong then please help me see my wrong.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

Now how about you commenting on this section of Mercy Me's song:

And Lord said

Have no other gods but God

To worship idols just won't do

Be careful with the way you use God's name

And keep Sunday special too.

Do these words teach truth to our children? Did "the Lord" really say to keep Sunday special? Was I wrong to express righteous indignation over this? Even if I were a Sunday keeper, I would know how false this statement is.

Little children do not understand big theological concepts the way adults do. How is interpreting the 10 Commandments into a catchy tune with simple concept expressions for children to catch on to the bigger meaning as they grow up worthy of righteous indignation?

Joco, serious question, if you feel like answering. If not I understand.

Which denomination would you say you are, and which church do you attend? As I said feel free to say it's not my business, but it would give me a better understanding of the basis of some of your posts?

Joco, serious question, if you feel like answering. If not I understand.

Which denomination would you say you are, and which church do you attend? As I said feel free to say it's not my business, but it would give me a better understanding of the basis of some of your posts?

Sorry, I missed this from a previous post where I had asked you the same question.

After being kicked out of my church for starting to keep the Sabbath, my eyes were opened to the problem with denominations. They are locked into their denominations beliefs and have great difficulty believing anything contrary to church doctrine. So when the light of truth shines upon them. they are either too brainwashed or too fearful to embrace the light. The few that do embrace doctrines contrary to their church's doctrines are quickly silenced one way or another. I choose to be unaffiliated with any group. I am a servant of the Master Yeshua and a child of Almighty Yahweh. I live by the words of wisdom found in both the old and new testaments.

They don't need to understand "big theological concepts" in this case. It is very easy for them to understand "the Lord said ... to keep Sunday special". Since it was put to music, it would become even more impressed upon their minds. They were not told the truth. Do you believe they were told the truth?

Previously, you did mention: "Even if I were a Sunday keeper...."

In that regard, keeping [what is believed to be the Sabbath] "holy" means keeping it "set apart" which in modern expression is "keeping it special."

No legalism!

I would like to see where the bible commands that we display 'righteous indignation' toward that which we do not agree or see as truth. If I am wrong for choosing to meekly instruct those who set themselves in opposition instead of giving them the what for and berating them for being wrong then please help me see my wrong.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

No command, just following Yeshua's example of expressing righteous indignation when the temple of Yahweh was turned into a den of thieves and Paul's example of expressing righteous indignation by turning a fornicator over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh and James' righteous indignation at the believers who commit spiritual adultery with the world (James 4:4) and ...

Perhaps this is why the church is in the poor state it is today compared to the early church. Many churches today do not confront sin, but embrace it with their homosexual clergy.and pedophile priests.

Joco, thanks for replying. I find it interesting to see how people understand what is being said and done by others. It is true that God desires mercy and not sacrifice but sometimes a sacrifice is necessary for the greater good of all involved. This was clearly displayed in Paul's decision to turn the man over to Satan for the punishment of his flesh so that his soul might be saved. But I don't believe I would call it righteous indignation. Paul wept while writing his epistles to these people as that which was happening broke his heart. This same Paul admonished us to put away all anger and malice. To become angry but not allow it to manifest itself into something sinful. Paul spoke of being ready to revenge all disobedience when our obedience has been fulfilled. He was speaking about spiritual warfare not hypocritical in nature. Are you so Christlike that you deem yourself worthy of entering into Gods holy temple with a scourge? You can follow his example? I have to say your definitely a cut above me for sure. I leave that kind of work up to the master as he is the only one capable of such a feat in my eyes. And as for James, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that he was expressing righteous indignation over that which he was admonishing the twelve tribes scattered abroad. I suppose it is all in the way you perceive the inflection that is non existent in the text. James is an awesome piece of instruction to say the least. I never once considered the man to be angry.

Jesus was angered by the hardness of men's hearts. The word for indignation is used to describe him once in Mark 10:14 and it simply moved him to instruct those he was angry with to allow the little children to come to him. My main concern where anger is concerned is that anger has a tendency to be self centered and unjust rather than being righteously God centered and appropriately applied in perfect measure to the given situation. I'll leave the so called righteous indignation unto those who have the ability given them by God to act perfectly on behalf of God to execute judgment upon others. As for me when I see or here somebody doing something that isn't biblically correct or God honoring, I will continue to seek to win them over to the truth through peaceful means.

Gary

Joco, thanks for replying. I find it interesting to see how people understand what is being said and done by others. It is true that God desires mercy and not sacrifice but sometimes a sacrifice is necessary for the greater good of all involved. This was clearly displayed in Paul's decision to turn the man over to Satan for the punishment of his flesh so that his soul might be saved. But I don't believe I would call it righteous indignation. Paul wept while writing his epistles to these people as that which was happening broke his heart.

My heart breaks as well to see what Christianity has done to that which Yahweh calls holy.

This same Paul admonished us to put away all anger and malice. To become angry but not allow it to manifest itself into something sinful. Paul spoke of being ready to revenge all disobedience when our obedience has been fulfilled. He was speaking about spiritual warfare not hypocritical in nature.

My replies to this subject have not been hypocritical or sinful.

Are you so Christlike that you deem yourself worthy of entering into Gods holy temple with a scourge? You can follow his example? I have to say your definitely a cut above me for sure. I leave that kind of work up to the master as he is the only one capable of such a feat in my eyes.

Do you not follow his example in anything? I am not scourging polluters of the temple. I am merely opposing a song that puts words in Yahweh's mouth that He never said. If you cannot see the wrong in that song, then you need to pray for more spiritual discernment.

And as for James, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that he was expressing righteous indignation over that which he was admonishing the twelve tribes scattered abroad. I suppose it is all in the way you perceive the inflection that is non existent in the text. James is an awesome piece of instruction to say the least. I never once considered the man to be angry.

To call believers "adulterers and adulteresses" does not stem from righteous indignation?? It is not a matter of inflection, but of word choices. If I called the people on this forum "adulterers and adulteresses" what would you think of me?

Jesus was angered by the hardness of men's hearts. The word for indignation is used to describe him once in Mark 10:14 and it simply moved him to instruct those he was angry with to allow the little children to come to him. My main concern where anger is concerned is that anger has a tendency to be self centered and unjust rather than being righteously God centered and appropriately applied in perfect measure to the given situation. I'll leave the so called righteous indignation unto those who have the ability given them by God to act perfectly on behalf of God to execute judgment upon others. As for me when I see or here somebody doing something that isn't biblically correct or God honoring, I will continue to seek to win them over to the truth through peaceful means.

I have tried to instruct in this thread peacefully. When people continue to love what is false and come against a brother that stands for truth, then more forceful instruction is necessary. I have not done anything in this thread that can be construed as "self-centered". My purpose was to uphold the truth and I have done that in a Messiah-like manner.

You have interesting perceptions, Joco. At least you believe your being like what you picture Jesus to have been. I suppose that in the end that is what matters. You believe that you have been conformed to the image of the Word of God and are ready to dish out the forceful instruction as you deem necessary. Carry on.

Gary

You have interesting perceptions, Joco. At least you believe your being like what you picture Jesus to have been. I suppose that in the end that is what matters. You believe that you have been conformed to the image of the Word of God and are ready to dish out the forceful instruction as you deem necessary. Carry on.

Gary

I have seen a lot of what you talk about on Worthy in the past Gary. The truth is that not one of us is Worthy to even tie His sandal.

When we allow those who hate us to drive nails through our hands, endure unbelievable pain, and love them while they do it, then we will be closer to what God wants of us.

It starts with Love, and it ends with Love. Something that has been missing on a lot of threads on Worthy recently.

Mine included......

Knowing that the law wasn't given for the righteous, but for the lawless. If your kids are lawless, rebellious. unsaved, then for others sake teach them the ten commandments.

Gary

I have seen a lot of what you talk about on Worthy in the past Gary. The truth is that not one of us is Worthy to even tie His sandal.

When we allow those who hate us to drive nails through our hands, endure unbelievable pain, and love them while they do it, then we will be closer to what God wants of us.

It starts with Love, and it ends with Love. Something that has been missing on a lot of threads on Worthy recently.

Mine included......

Fez, unfortunately without further elaboration, I am at a loss for understanding what your saying to me.

Gary

Gary

Mine included......

I completely agree.

They don't need to understand "big theological concepts" in this case. It is very easy for them to understand "the Lord said ... to keep Sunday special". Since it was put to music, it would become even more impressed upon their minds. They were not told the truth. Do you believe they were told the truth?

Previously, you did mention: "Even if I were a Sunday keeper...."

In that regard, keeping [what is believed to be the Sabbath] "holy" means keeping it "set apart" which in modern expression is "keeping it special."

You are viewing the issue in terms of doctrine. I am viewing it in terms of what Yahweh said. The song teaches "The Ten Commandments" to children, not the Christian interpretation of them. ...

Then why did you say, "Even . . .

Oh never mind.....

a post above: "...it is revealing that those that hold onto the old simply do not truly understand the total meaning and depth of the new"

Such foolish talk to say that Calvin, Wesley, Luther, etc. did not understand the New Covenant.

John Calvin: . "Some unskilful persons, from not attending to this, boldly discard the whole law of Moses, and do away with both its Tables, imagining it unchristian to adhere to a doctrine which contains the ministration of death. Far from our thoughts be this profane notion."

John Wesley: "In the highest rank of the enemies of the gospel of Christ, are they who openly and explicitly 'judge the law' itself, and 'speak evil of the law;' who teach men to break (to dissolve, to loose, to untie the obligation of) not one only, whether of the least or of the greatest, but all the commandments at a stroke. . . . The most surprising of all the circumstances that attend this strong delusion, is that they who are given up to it, really believe that they honor Christ by overthrowing His law, and that they are magnifying His office while they are destroying His doctrine! Yea, they honor Him just as Judas did when he said, 'Hail, Master, and kissed Him.' And He may as justly say to every one of them, 'Betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss? It is no other than betraying Him with a kiss, to talk of His blood, and take away His crown; to set light by any part of His law, under pretense of advancing His gospel. Nor indeed can anyone escape this charge, who preaches faith in any such a manner as either directly or indirectly tends to set aside any branch of obedience: who preaches Christ so as to disannul, or weaken in any wise, the least of the commandments of God."

Martin Luther: "Nowadays there is a novel idea afoot! According to the promoters of this idea, the Law (that is, the 10 Commandments) should be completely removed from the Church. This is nothing else but deplorable and irreverent.

The entire Bible teaches that it is the Law which must initiate repentance.....Sin and death are not exposed by a Word of grace and comfort, but only by the Law."

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0