christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do Christians still have demons in them?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

L10

L10

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Sports, nutrition, theology, Bible study, enjoying people that seek purpose over success, loving God's creatures. I am the Goose whisperer.

I have my many problems too, and possibly a demon or two that find sin to reaccess me at times. I seem to not notice them too quickly when it happens, but soon notice the things that i am not doing: reading my Bible, Praying a true and hearfelt prayer. I even notice a personality change at certain moments that gives me an enjoyment or interest in something that I otherwise have no interest in. Ok, I am fully loving Jesus Christ, and trusting Him to be my savior. I even pray that I am not one that will be told to depart, for He never knew me. There seems to be some new interest in that particular verse in Conservative Churches now. I think it is a good point, for the very people that Jesus is telling to depart did some miracles and even did God's work; but they were doers of iniquity.

So, your opinion and discernment do matter very much on this as well. Are demons getting to us as Christians?
Do they bother you?

Hi L10. To address your quote in blue above...

Most of us go through what you are explaining here at one time or another and in differing ways. We get distracted, we allow ourselves to stray.

I find it happening to me when I stray a little (just a little) from Jesus. I don't however put it down to demons.

I put it down to me being bone idle lazy in attending to my spiritual (and most important life), and paying more attention to others stuff like work, non saved friends, etc.

We all have earthquakes, wind and fire around us most of the time, life is just like that, and to some of us a gentle breeze would seem to be a tornado to another. We are after all, all different.

That"s why we need to stay close to God at all times, and listen to the whisper of the Holy Spirit's voice..

Like this...

1Ki_19:11 And he said, "Go out and stand on the mount before the LORD." And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.
1Ki_19:12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.

Not sure why it took long to come back and provide some answers to your fine points. Yes, I agree that our apathy and lack of following Jesus can make potential for some of these very bad things, but some of them are just to diabolical. Avoiding too much detail, it is easy to discern the evil in it when it is shortly simply to discern that the very sin thought is not even something that is within our typical personality. Picture that you were out with friends, and just got totally drawn into Ghost hunting, so you embarked on it. Soon after you were done with your evening you note that you have zero interest in ghost hunting, at least not in your psyche. I churn this up to the spirits (familiar) that stick around and find something to just whisper into our ear, and so we get a drug high on it for a few; blindly.  Better example, think of the sexual sins that some people just dive into off of a hormonal change, and then upon the commensed act; it is clear that this very fetish is not actually a fetish at all, but a temporary thing that surfaces.    So, yes I do believe that apathy creates these diversions, very much. I also do not totally believe that it is purely the flesh that decides. Sometimes it is clear that something far deeper had attached for a while, and finds a way back at certain times.

Maybe we could argue that it is the flesh, and the Holy Spirit does cover it up, but some of these things I just sorta doubt.  Plus, if we know that our enemy, the devil, is prowling around looking for a soul to devour; what better ways? Deception is the greatest. Hey, even get us to think it is our own thought... really has worked awesome for the formation of some false Religions too. Just things to think about. In my brief time away from the forums I have lived more in the work world, and noted a few things. It is easy to say the world just sort changes us, but is so easy to note that the Bible does say that Satan does want to ruin our lives. How many times does it say that? 

Are we possessed as Christians?  No, I don't believe so, but not positive. I am certain we are potentially oppressed. I guess we can say that giving the devil the credit is all he wants... but it is not overly wise to simply say that he does not exist in our lives. Ignorance does not make us wise, but it may give us a gumption that we are safe as Christians.  Let us remain saved, and pray to be safe.

L10

L10

• PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Sports, nutrition, theology, Bible study, enjoying people that seek purpose over success, loving God's creatures. I am the Goose whisperer.

Saying that a demon never gets to you is pretty much a farce if you are a Christian. I guess it would be equivalent to saying that germs never get to you either. Is that fair to say?  Should we read the book of Jude? 

SandyU

SandyU
  • Members
  • 70 posts
Christians are protected from demon possession. But certain activities can bring demon activity into your life. Trying to speak to the dead, or going to a fortune teller. Ouija boards are a game that is trying to talk to the dead and should be avoided. It may seem harmless but Satan doesn't play fair. If you have opened yourself up to this pray, and have others pray with you. Ask for forgiveness.

mafo

mafo
  • Members
  • 21 posts
I think a christian can have demons.  Don Dickerman allso claims this.

Edited by OneLight, 13 February 2014 - 08:24 AM.
Video links belong in teh Video forum only.

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts
  • Interests:Dog training, fellowshipping with my family at Worthy. Worshiping the Lord in song. Sharing Jesus with those who do not know Him.

I think a christian can have demons.  Don Dickerman allso claims this.

I don't care who claims it, it is a lie.  Light and dark cannot inhabit the same place.  Read your Bible and find out for yourself.  Jesus said can satan cast out satan?  The answer is NO.  We as  believers are God's property therefore we cannot be indwelt by the devil. 

mafo

mafo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

I dont know, just saying what i have heard. But we are not to trust in men, i know.

Diatheosis

Diatheosis

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:God's supernatural reality in action, Jesus walking amidst us, exposing the end time deception, biblical languages, prophetic.

Let me ask, what is a spirit of religion then? A heavenly entity sent by God? Yet, if any unwanted influences Christian communities suffer from, it would be the spirit of religion.

Hardly can a born again Christian be possessed, but yet I'd say we are still ordinary people in that sense, who from time to time might get deceived in one way or another to open something in us for unwanted influences. In our spirit we have Jesus and thus it never can be accessed by the dark, but as instance other areas, like emotions, will, mind or body might get affected, though as I said, certainly not possessed.

Whilst I am not saying not acting according to God's Will is necessarily demon originated, sometimes it might do us a favor to consider that as well. Just like the devil got big part of the western world to believe he does not exist, would not getting the believers think they are immune to the demonic, even internal, serve the same strategy? Of course there is still a big difference to have Jesus and not to have.

I really would like to be wrong about this, don't misunderstand me, what would be better than to be totally free from demonic influence in this way? But I've seen differently. One may ask what is a real Christian then? That's the thing, I guess. Confessing Jesus and wanting to be with Him and feel that love and let others know it too? Many go into that category, but I know of too many people battling with oppression that I would not go and state they cannot be influenced in that way.

And we really should avoid to be too judgmental about this, if there are people struggling how do you think they feel when someone comes and says a real believer cannot have that. Getting people to feel they are abnormal in their spiritual way of being causes more harm that does good. Of course, the solution is always at hand. Jesus is the name above all others.

To be His children is a reason to be proud. But never forget pride caused one of the brilliant beings of light to fall.

I am not saying be afraid of the dark, all I am saying is to be honest and to let God show you what is.

As said, I am certainly not joyfully declaring we are all demonized. But if there were any that sort of influence connected, would you not want to know?

God bless

Edited by Diatheosis, 15 February 2014 - 05:31 AM.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general

Blessings Everyone...

Demons & the Holy Spirit can certainly co-exist,,,how do I know this ,because God says so in His Word

Acts 17:24 NKJV). We know that God inhabits all of heaven and earth. That no building made by man could contain the Lord God.

Jer 23:24"Can anyone hide himself in secret places,so I shall not see him?"says the Lord  "Do I not FILL  Heaven and earth"says the Lord

So if the enemy goes about the earth seeking who he could steal,kill & destroy....they can & do co-exist   When we accept Christ & we are given the Holy Spirit,we have the indwelling in our spirit......Paul,in speaking to the believers in Romans 7:17,explains that in his flesh is no good thing,that sin dwells in him    Many a new believer can carry over darkness until they put on the new man(Col 3:10)being  renewed in knowledge after the image that created him(Jesus)

Not everyone (hardly-lol)has an instantaneous transformation & immediately becomes that new creature in Christ Jesus,there fore the flesh wrestles against the spirit

With love-in Christ,Kwik

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,425 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

If there is any sin in one's life, demons can have a very large influence in your life.....    so to speak as attaching itself to you through that sin.    When that sin gets to a point then as Paul states that person can be given over to Satan so as to destroy the body but save the soul on judgment day....   I've never fully understood what Paul was describing there, but it doesn't sound like a good thing to happen.

SandyU

SandyU
  • Members
  • 70 posts
I don't think a Christian can be demon possessed. But they are in a world run by satan. If you have people around you who are not christian, or maybe in a cult you can be effected by demons. Anything bad or evil is effected by demons. A disease is caused because if the imperfect world we live in. God did not create the world this way. Wars are part of that imperfect world that christians are effected by. The best way to protect yourself is to pray all sorts of prayers and live Gods word.

almightyist

almightyist
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Animals and wilderness. Enjoy most sports.
Revelation 3:16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

I believe a lukewarm or weak willed Christian can be demon possessed. Read some books or even watch some movies on demon possession. The exorcism of Emily Rose. It was very interesting. She seemed to be a like a lot of people who call themselves Christian. Going thru life unaware of the spiritual realm but believing in Jesus.

The Exorcist was based on true encounters. I think they knew of Jesus...but never took the time to get to know him and were unaware of the spiritual surroundings. They were probably atheists.

There is a lot of interesting reading in the library on possession. Some of these were lukewarm Christians or weak willed Christians.

Saying a Christian can't be demon possessed is like saying a Christian can't lose their minds. I've witnessed People that appeared to be God fearing Christians do some unchristlike things and say some weird things in their last days on earth because they lost their minds.

Edited by almightyist, 20 February 2014 - 11:43 PM.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,662 posts
  • Interests:**Study God's Word to know God...
    **To know Christ in service to others!
    **Multi skilled in building industry for use in that service.
    **Computer skills: graphic art, cad design
    **Bible College 3.5 years

So, your opinion and discernment do matter very much on this as well. Are demons getting to us as Christians?
Do they bother you?
Too bad there is not a way to have the many Christians that never discuss Satan or his realm to read this topic. I would be interested in what they say. The Joel Osteen sort of preaching would tell people to simply speak good, speak truth; and evil is then gone.
Is that rebuke? Many wonderful Christians also just want to avoid speaking of the Devil. I am sure you all know many.

Sorry to have so many questions in this thread. Yep, changed it over from a post in one area, to a thread topic. Reply to whatever touches your heart.

The cleverness of the enemy is undone when obedience to God is accomplished:
Phil 4:8-9
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are
lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if
there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both
learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace
shall be with you.
KJV

As long as satan can get you to focus on the wrong things he knows he keeps you from
perfect obedience in the walk thought of the living as a mind stayed upon God! This
may be a shocker but satan can read... ah he says God wants them to do this and if
I can cause them not to I will have victory! God delivers such a simple message of
I will bless in compliance but not in disobedience as the 'IS' outside of the present
seemingly overwhelming aspects of this world into a more focused understanding...
For it is not in our flesh that we see but that of unseen Spirit our sight is clear!
[Why] give our energies to the understanding of that which passes away when instead we
could invest all of our abilities into that which last forever! Here is the simple
obedience to evil that surrounds:
Eph 4:24-5:1
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness
and true holiness. 25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with
his neighbour: for we are members one of another. 26 Be ye angry, and sin not:
let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
                          27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with
his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good
to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.30 And grieve
not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking,
be put away from you, with all malice: 32 And be ye kind one to another,
tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath
forgiven you. (5) Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
KJV

So very simple a child could do... but are you?
Jude 9
9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed
about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation,
but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
KJV

When all is said and done and you are in the kingdom of The Son and truth is
without lie- any where only truth- you will see clearly what I speak of now 'the vanity
of giving evil any place that is in your control to not...' Love, Steven

SandyU

SandyU
  • Members
  • 70 posts
A study of Job will answer many questions here. It is not a matter of being good to keep away demons or being christian. We are in a world run by satan. We will be effected by demons. But if you have truly accepted Jesus and have his Holy Spirit into your heart you cannot be demon possessed. Possessed is different than being effected by them. When you eat at Jesus table you are not eating at satins table. You are part of the heavenly kingdom. Prayer and keeping Gods truths will help protect you. But as long as you are in this world you have to be aware of the dangers.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts

I'm wondering if the title presupposes that everyone has demons and if they leave when you become a Christian

My approach is usually to ask questions...I ask them all the time...even when you can't hear me

SandyU

SandyU
  • Members
  • 70 posts
we can't see the spiritual world so we tend to blame the people around us and on the news. But the Bible is clear that it is satan and his forces that are the real problem

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Eph 6:2

rjp34652

rjp34652

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Protestants are surprisingly ignorant of truly spiritual matters.  

Those that make the effort sit in Bible study classes and never open the Good Book except to read scripture references supplied by some booklet they use as a study guide.  Very few crack the Bible in their own spare time and dive into the spiritual deep end of the pool.  As a result, the ideological base for the religious group they attend is reinforced over and over - many times completely ignoring the weightier issues of Holy Writ.  As a result they are trapped into a sort of Biblical first grade mentality.   Those that attend adult Sunday school are only a small fraction of the main membership.   Pastors frequently mention the importance of daily Bible study and reading, yet many do not.  As a result, most are theologically illiterate about even the most basic truths.   For example:

- The basis for the human condition spiritually, physically and morally does not come from Hollywood.  It can be discovered in Genesis 3.

- The book of Romans has been called the Grand Canyon of the Bible for it's ideological and literary depth, yet few adult Sunday School classes explore it.

- Some Protestant churches believe that no one shall see the Kingdom of God unless they are born again.  Yet few can tell you exactly what the second birth is.

- Few understand the true meaning of the cross in the life of the believer or the meaning of the blood to God.  Yet these are repeated as meaningless buzz words.

- Few understand the nature of spiritual warfare and it's implication for the world and for one who is born again. 

The Bible is very specific and incredibly revealing with regard to spiritual warfare.  Few Christians have the background knowledge to deal accurately and truthfully with the subject.  They rely instead upon secular philosophy promulgated by Hollywood and the writers of fiction and upon the myopic lessons from Sunday School.

Roman Catholic theology incorporates a great deal of spiritual reality, much more than Protestants realize or accept.  Because of inter-faith rivalry and bigotry, however, much truth is not shared.  Much truth is ignored.

I've written all that so that I can write this;

Those who are not Christian are subject to the authority of the kingdom of satan - from birth to the grave. 

Catholic theology recognizes there are at least two types of attack which impact the Christian - oppressive and possessive.

The ideology is based upon the ancient principle that the soul of man is a complete package consisting of body, mind and spirit.

It is the spirit that can be saved and redeemed for eternal life.  A Christian spirit is one with God and cannot be unmade into a slave of satan.

The body and mind, compose what has been called the Will.  The Will may continue to be subject to attack as long as the body lives.

1. Oppression - This is a general category of external attack.  Temptation is the leading example of attacks upon the will.   Ring a bell and it will continue to vibrate long after the metal is struck.  Temptation is like that.  Long after the initial suggestion is made, the mind vibrates with fantasy to commit sin.  Habit and addiction is a strong second.  However begun these behaviors can destroy the body long before God would have intended to call the CHRISTIAN home.  Willful abuse and destruction of the body is oppressive sin.  Examples are drug use, gambling, sexual perversions, alcoholism and GLUTTONY.  More Christians die from the effects of gluttony than all the other examples combined (yet you will never hear a sermon about it).   An extra helping of cake for desert is just as much a part of spiritual warfare as any motion picture promoted by Hollywood.  If the reader wants to experience spiritual warfare at this level - go on a diet.

2. Possession - We are all familiar with the Hollywood term 'possession'.   It's not quite the same in the Bible.   Although records are kept there of people who have been freed of their possessions, the bulk of Biblical teaching utilizes another term.   It's called the 'power of sin'.   The power of sin is that which can actually own and physically operate a mind and body.  For a non-Chrisitan even the spirit is corrupted.   As stated before, a born again spirit cannot be corrupted, but the mind and body CAN be operated by the power of sin.

When a Christian yields to sin, the power of sin can literally and physically take control of the mind and body.  Playing and flirting with sin, even the act of imagination, opens an advantage of the power of sin to affect the mind and body.  The act of internalizing foreign spiritual influences begins with flirtation of sin.   It gets worse with each iteration.  Finally, God releases the Christian from mental and bodily protection and the individual collapses into total and complete subjugation of the power of sin.   He or she becomes possessed of evil.

God allows this for two reasons.  First that the Christian may learn the danger involved in flirting with sin and make use of a powerful spiritual weapon - repentance (you won't hear repentance preached in church either).  Second, that the Christian's life may be terminated BY GOD earlier than God had originally intended SO AS TO SAVE THE SPIRIT.

Scripture references for all the above can be supplied upon request for those who can't do their own homework.  For those that do I suggest the following course of introductory study.  Read Genesis 3 each day for a week.  On the second week begin reading the gospels - all 4 of them.  Read all of them 3 times.  When this task is completed read the book of Romans with special attention to chapters 6, 7 & 8 (the bottom of the canyon).  Read it again two more times.   Finally find a good commentary and do an in-depth study of Romans chapter by chapter.  Take copious notes.   This should take at least six months'.   But like I said, most don't bother to do their own homework.  They'd rather sit in Sunday School and wet their whistle on milk and thin toast - spiritually speaking.   It's good for fellowship, but it by no means creates scholarship.

Finally, if you don't know what you're doing avoid the subject altogether.  It is far more dangerous than anyone teaches or preaches in church these days.  Play with fire, boys and girls and YOU WILL get burned.

Jude 13 suggests that the fires of hell are not red, orange and yellow.  They are black and silent and empty of all meaning.

Here is the secret of heaven and hell.  

Man is a creature of identity.  If a man doesn't accept God as part of his identity and become born again, he will lose all his identity at death. 

Google experiments on sensory deprivation and tell us what you discover.   The identity is all.  The spirit is all important.  This is why God died to preserve it.

DO NOT FLIRT WITH SIN.

You invite the power of sin to enter and control your mind and body when you do.  Mark my words, you will pay a terrible price if you do.   Being a Christian is not a license to sin.  The power of sin, the agents of hell CAN burn you.   A church membership card is not fireproof.

As with all fires, the best policy is prevention.  Bear the cross you have been given with grace and good stewardship and stop looking for excuses.  On the day you do, you will begin to know what spiritual victory really means.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft....

AGTG

AGTG
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Let me ask you a question: How much of our heart are we supposed to give to God? In Matthew 22:37, Jesus quotes Deuteronomy:

37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

We are to love the Lord with "all" our heart. How many Christians are actually doing this? I tell you, much of the territory within the hearts of Christians has never been freed from the captivity of the enemy. As we grow in the knowledge of God, we should be gaining more and more territory within our hearts for Him. 

What's going on in our heart? It's not fully surrendered to God. Satan has territory in the hearts of many/most Christians. This territory cannot be overtaken by the Kingdom of God until we cut ties with the enemy. This requires sincere repentance and godly sorrow over the things we've allowed Satan to rule in our hearts. 

If we seek the Lord in earnest, and pray for Him to reveal the dark places in our hearts that are still under the rule of Satan, He is faithful, He will shine His light and then it will be up to us to confess the sins, renounce and repent, and root out the claws of whatever demons have a foothold in that aspect of your life. Then, we close the door we originally opened that allowed that demon to have a foothold in our heart, and we never open it again. 

This process will free more and more of our heart in surrender to Jesus who is worthy of every inch of ground in our hearts. 

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,452 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

we can't see the spiritual world so we tend to blame the people around us and on the news. But the Bible is clear that it is satan and his forces that are the real problem

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12

:thumbsup:

Catch

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

As

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4

Catch Can

And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen. Romans 16:20

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network