christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New non-believer

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

slowpoke55

slowpoke55

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
Hello,
Although I am an atheist, I joined this site to get a better understanding of the the Bible. My atheism gnaws at some of my Christian friends and seek discussions with me about my lack of belief. What I find interesting though, and what has brought me here, is the wide range of their beliefs: from literal interpretation to "some things are true but some are meant as parable." Overall, I would like to get some clarity or consensus on certain subjects that come up from time to time.

Thanks.

LisaMarie savedbygrace

LisaMarie savedbygrace

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
Welcome to Worthy Slowpoke..

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts
Welcome to Worthy.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
Welcome to Worthy! I changed your status to non believer, just so there is no confusion with other members here, or on chat.

I hope you find your stay fruitful and informative.

Blessings

Stephen-UK

Stephen-UK

Royal Member

• Worthy Prayer Partner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts
Welcome :thumbsup:

Seek and you will find

franciskelsey

franciskelsey

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
Hello 55. Your story is interesting because I spent a couple years on an ex Christian site dealing with many who no longer had the faith or were athiest for the same reason you are here today, to learn more about why peopl believe the way they do. I had made many friends there and am glad I spent some time there as it has taught me much. Though of course, we would rarely agree, I did enjoy reading their experiances in life and why they had made the decisions they did. I learned there was a wide variety of reasons.

I also learned that no one here will be able to persuade you with words and facts about accepting Jeus Christ into your life, as this can only be done by the Holy Spirit and a receptive heart. In saying that, I am glad you are here, and I do hope, as I had learned, you will also learn much in your time here.

I can tell you one thing that you will find here if nothing else you are looking for. Though we have many views different from one another, we all share the same hope of a bright future, and an indwelling peace inside of us that only those with Jesus can know and understand. We, with Gods word, have the answers to life and the reason for our existence. Unfortuntly, these are things I never did find on the other site, despite being friends with some very nice people who to this day, hold respect for, and pray some day, they will also have the peace in which all Christians share.

In saying all of that, welcome to worthy, and I will be the first to invite you to my friend list. God bless as He teaches

NeedYouLord

NeedYouLord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Welcome so much, Slowpoke...

wingnut-

wingnut-

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
welcome to worthy :)

JoJo-FreedomIsInChrist

JoJo-FreedomIsInChrist
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Welcome to worthy Slowpoke, hope you find what you seek here!

OldShep

OldShep

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Hello,
Although I am an atheist, I joined this site to get a better understanding of the the Bible. My atheism gnaws at some of my Christian friends and seek discussions with me about my lack of belief. What I find interesting though, and what has brought me here, is the wide range of their beliefs: from literal interpretation to "some things are true but some are meant as parable." Overall, I would like to get some clarity or consensus on certain subjects that come up from time to time.

Thanks.

Welcome to Worthy Slowpoke...55 seems fast to this OldShep.

Yes there is a wide range of beliefs out there, yet, God understands the hearts and mind of all men.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

ICL~~~Dennis

JeannieC

JeannieC

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Hi Slowpoke. Welcome to Worthy. I pray that you find all that you need here. :)

imoss

imoss

• PipPip
  • 218 posts
Pass's slowpoke & OldShep on a moped.

Welcome and bless your heart as you get to know folks around here.

friendofjesuschrist

friendofjesuschrist

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
Welcome Slowpoke55,

Grace and peace to you.

Since you are interested in all the different takes on this belief.
Have you ever read the book ( the BIBLE) that they believe in??

Like in school, it can give you a clearer understanding about the various beliefs before you even speak to someone in the belief.
It also puts you ahead of most, because most believers I have encountered haven't even read the BIBLE cover to cover.

So, just a little note to help your interest and knowledge of the subject you seek to address.

Grace and peace to you.

Edited by friendofjesuschrist, 23 September 2012 - 09:34 PM.

greekmom

greekmom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
welcome to worthy :)

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,872 posts
Praying~!

D-9

D-9

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Hello,

Thanks.

Hi Slowpoke,
In a nutshell there is no overall consensus among Christians in most areas. But I can tell you that this site is conservative so the consensus that you will find on this site will almost always be the literal interpretation. I'm one of the few liberals around, fyi.

An interesting little tidbit, traditionally Judeo-Christian theology doesn't restrict a story to either literal or metaphorical; most stories have a metaphorical or non-literal message but whether or not the story is meant to be taken literally as well is open-ended. A good example is in the book of Romans (sadly I don't remember which chapter off the top of my head) where Paul talks about Abraham's two children, Isaac and Ishmael, and makes a metaphorical statement about the differences between the two. The message is clearly metaphorical in nature, but at the same time Paul presents the people and events as literal history. So sometimes the story is literal, but also has metaphorical messages too. The same thing is true of the creation story in Genesis, I myself don't take it literally, but if you do there are also many metaphorical messages within that story that hold true whether you view the account as literal or not. Just something to ponder.

Shalom, D-9

InquisitiveMind

InquisitiveMind

• PipPip
  • 132 posts
Hiya and welcome to worthy :)

~Shalhevet~

~Shalhevet~

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
Welcome!

sPrevorb31

sPrevorb31

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Hi slowpoke, welcome to Worthy! Hope you find the clarity you're looking for :)

ladypeartree

ladypeartree

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,605 posts
In every family the children are brought up in the same way with the same ideas from the time they are born BUT each child will take away what he or she thinks is what they were taught and each will develop in ways that suit them best or that they THINK will suit them best .
WHY would the children of God be any different ???? Each person seeing an event will describe it in a different way and interpret what they see acording to their own understanding ...so it is with Christians .....I pray that you find your understanding in Christ and come to enjoy fellowship with Him

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network