christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Question for atheists.

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
480 replies to this topic

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Please clarify for me : )

Question One: Do you regard God of the Hebrew Bible as a myth and in the category of other worshipped ancient 'gods' such as Zeus, Osiris, later- Thor etc?

If not - why not?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
I appreciate your thoughts baryonoctet.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about your story, but if I may ask - what's your belief system now?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
It would be interesting to see how atheists would answer the question.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
What category would you put God in Fallen?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
What are your thoughts on the global belief/trust in a "myth" ?

AND

why do you think evolved species such as us, would have a yearning to worship something much greater than ourselves - given this yearning is not limited but is in fact, cross cultural?

I do not see this in other "evolved species"..

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
That doesn't fascinate me really tbh, it's more fascinating to learn that nearly all cultures, if not ALL cultures have a story of human beginnings.

It fascinates me that from the evolutionists point of view, we started out from chaos and randomness, but yet, to have a "yearning" that there is something/Someone bigger than humanity? - and this yearning cross cultural as well? As if built in - hard wired in the psyche. That is truly fascinating.

Your response lacked the depth I was looking for.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

... why do you think evolved species such as us, would have a yearning to worship something much greater than ourselves - given this yearning is not limited but is in fact, cross cultural?

I do not see this in other "evolved species".. g.

Our higher brain power simply gives us the ability to ask where we came from. .

So it's just "natural" then..?

Our higher brain power allows us to question and seek (which is a good thing)....and humans, all humans, all over, have questioned and sought out, which in turn pointed them to worship something or Someone.? Am I thinking along evolutionist lines?

So if this seeking is , just say, an evolved "state of mind"...why do Christians concern atheists so much? If, after all, we are just using the enquiring mind of the "evolved human brain" ?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Thanks guys for all your thoughts :mgcheerful:

Believer.Evermore

Believer.Evermore
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Has anyone else noticed that all of the gods of the ancient (and not so ancient)cultures, nations, and empires have fallen along with them?
When Greece fell...so did its gods.
When Rome fell...so did its gods.
When Israel fell...so did........whoops! There seems to be a fly in the ointment!

Why...Even though His chosen people were scattered to the ends of the Earth He continues to make His presence known not only to them, but to their brothers and cousins, the Christians, as well! His army of followers grows each day and grows ever stronger in the Light of His Glory!

Matthew 22:32 (KJV)
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

slowpoke55

slowpoke55

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Question One: Do you regard God of the Hebrew Bible as a myth and in the category of other worshipped ancient 'gods' such as Zeus, Osiris, later- Thor etc?
If not - why not?

Yes.

Oneaccords

Oneaccords

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Has anyone else noticed that all of the gods of the ancient (and not so ancient)cultures, nations, and empires have fallen along with them?
When Greece fell...so did its gods.
When Rome fell...so did its gods.
When Israel fell...so did........whoops! There seems to be a fly in the ointment!

Why...Even though His chosen people were scattered to the ends of the Earth He continues to make His presence known not only to them, but to their brothers and cousins, the Christians, as well! His army of followers grows each day and grows ever stronger in the Light of His Glory!

Matthew 22:32 (KJV)
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

It would have been interesting to see which religion would be here today if Mithraism wasn't so secretive. Justin Martyr (a Christian apologist living in the 2nd century C.E.) tells us how similar Mithraism was to what we would now call Catholicism.

Catholicism isn't Christianity that is a 101 assumption that is said over and over again without people really understanding Christianity. Catholicism is actually a mixture of pagan beliefs with Churchianity, the Babylonian Priesthood went to Rome from Babylon, think of the RCC as an extension of the old Roman Empire.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Mary is the queen of heaven.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Worshipping the queen of heaven (which is not the Mary of the Bible) is worshipping another god and it provokes the Lord to anger.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Pope called Holy Father.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - The term Holy Father is only found one time in the entire Bible. It was when Jesus prayed before He and His disciples went to the garden of Gethsemane. He referred to God the Father as Holy Father. It is blasphemy to call a man by God's name

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Venerating/worshipping images. Pope bows to statues of Mary, people worship the eucharist and have statues/candles in their homes and churches.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - It is idolatry to venerate images. We are not even supposed to make them.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Confessing sins to a priest. Petitioning saints and Mary.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - We are to confess our sins and needs to God alone.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Forbidding the priesthood to marry.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS -
It is devilish to forbid God's people to marry when He has given marriage to be received with thanksgiving.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Mary never had other children after the Lord Jesus. A perpetual virgin.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Mary and Joseph indeed had children. They were the Lord's half brothers and sisters for their father was Joseph and mother was Mary.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Mary is the mother of God.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - Mary is the mother of the earthly Jesus, not God. Jesus pre- existed from everlasting as God (see John 1:1). When He came to redeem mankind, He laid aside His glory and was made like unto sinful man so that He could take our punishment (Hebrew 2:9). God has no mother. He has lived from everlasting which means He had no beginning.

CATHOLIC TRADITION - Purgatory, nuns, popes.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS - None of these is mentioned in the Bible. It is a sin to add to the Bible.

Therefore Catholicism is Not Christianity

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

If not - why not?

Yes.

So how do you feel about Western law having rulings taken from the OT commandements handed down to Moses from God whom you think of as a mythical being?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

If not - why not?

Yes.

So how do you feel about Western law having rulings taken from the OT commandements handed down to Moses from God whom you think of as a mythical being?

If we're this lenient about what evidence looks like for God, then why don't you believe in Allah? Mohammed was in direct contact with "GOD" and hence how the Qu'ran came to be. Just as valid as your reasoning, but for some very very convenient reason you discard Allah on a whim.

Why don't you believe in Allah?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
ah..you hit on a truth...Jesus is in another league...Jesus is the Son of God... :mgcheerful:

BIG difference....

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Well you know what Hate means, so yeah if you are being hateful in your clarification, then you should think of the terms and conditions of this board..you know it's not an atheist board :mgcheerful:

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Observation...Christians turned atheists can be very vicious toward God.even more so than atheists from the get go.....let's not go down that path if you want to keep discussing God with Christians on this board.

I like the sound of you Fallen, as a fellow Aussie, I can see the get up and go attitude in you...just drop the attitude a little hey?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
I'm not saying YOU in particular are vicious...

I also am interested in ancient history - more real history than mythological though...there is plenty of reading material around...ancient manuscripts.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
So what parts of ancient history do you believe in?

Remember, it has all been passed down to us today...so you must believe in some and reject others..yes?

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
There are plenty of eye witnesses in the Bible - the places stated in the Bible are ancient places - some still around today - architecture mentioned in the Bible, still here today - political figures of the day, real people that existed... it's simply whether you reject it or not.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Come on Fallen, I'm trying to have an adult discussion with you - not a year 12 lunchtime muck around.....

Plenty of learned people acknowledge Jesus walked the earth and was a pivotal historical figure...shock, horror...EVEN learned atheists.....

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network