christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tips to Save Money

save money tips

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

GlidingWings

GlidingWings

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hey Golden Eagle you’re really up to date on all these fancy things about saving money. You are more helpful than any MSN article I have read concerning tips for people how to save money.

I mean you have hit a wide range of things to think about. I could sure use your hope actually both me and my girlfriend.

Well Golden Eagle it is like this. Can you get a Gallon of water from an eight ounce glass of water? I mean where do you get the water you may not have?

Well you see I have a couple of disabilities and on SSI including my girlfriend. Though every month we pay all the bills that is owed as water, phone, electric, gas, house insurances, garbage and all utilities. We still owe $800 and plus on house taxes till we get our new bill in March.

We get all our groceries. After all this there is not much left certainly not enough to create an emergency fund. It seems every month is pressuring.

I owe on a GE card for a medical product Medicare did not cover. Interest is really high. I tried to apply for another card to pay off GE for lower interest. Because of my credit and because they said the GE was a large purchase instead of small purchases. I had no choice to the medical product over five thousand to help me. My girlfriend has 2 credit cards the smaller and the bigger owed card. My GE card is getting lower but her 2 cards are not getting lower. It’s always about the same at max.

We don’t have an instance to get Sam’s club. We do have a friend that goes there. We got to Wal mart and our local fair share. We also go to Aldi’s and Ultra foods or Jewels if anything special on sale.

We got rid of satellite using regular TV for now and basic DSL internet. My girlfriend says her brother has magic jack the phone service. But when she calls him she always gets disconnected having to recall over and over. We got a cell phone from public aid and one phone for the house since the phone has very limited time to call.

How can one buy what they don’t have anyways? What do you or anyone here suggests how to financially get better?

For one I say we will be moving to Calif from Illinois. I will be going to a Blind school since I lost my vision several years ago. So I can’t at this time just to run out and start working anywhere. I need training in what a blind person needs to know and who would hire in Southern Calif when we get there.

I am also wondering how can anyone work from home? I looked online mostly scams or companies to assemble dolls and girlie stuff. Since I am a guy I’m not interested into doing that. I’ve also heard a lot of places send out products. Let you make them and keep the products. I’ve tried those stuff envelopes gimmick or writing your name on a list gimmick. Is there any legitimate work from home I or we both me and my girlfriend could try? We don’t have hundreds to buy material or to how much a selling license cost.

How can we get started in trying to get out of this? Do you believe the economy will wipe us out anyway? By the way Light house for the Blind in Chicago has not been much of help either.

At least we have internet to post on Worthy Forums. We are not going without food. We are thankful to God to what we do have. But I wish we had more to be able to do more than being at home so much. Taking free walks gets boring after a while hahaha. Jesus had fun walking because 5000 were right on His path. Jesus also walked on water. I believe this truly but I will say that loaf in the kitchen has not multiplied or the money or meat. We desire to do good stewardship with whatever we have. Even to give if we have the money to give if we had.

Maybe right now is to take some good advice from Golden Eagle or other posts in this thread to how to deal with finances and how to find work from home if it is really possible.

Already I will say thanks to anyone who can help
your friend glider

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

Hey Golden Eagle you’re really up to date on all these fancy things about saving money. You are more helpful than any MSN article I have read concerning tips for people how to save money.

I mean you have hit a wide range of things to think about. I could sure use your hope actually both me and my girlfriend.

Well Golden Eagle it is like this. Can you get a Gallon of water from an eight ounce glass of water? I mean where do you get the water you may not have?

Well you see I have a couple of disabilities and on SSI including my girlfriend. Though every month we pay all the bills that is owed as water, phone, electric, gas, house insurances, garbage and all utilities. We still owe $800 and plus on house taxes till we get our new bill in March.

<snip>

How can we get started in trying to get out of this? Do you believe the economy will wipe us out anyway? By the way Light house for the Blind in Chicago has not been much of help either.

At least we have internet to post on Worthy Forums. We are not going without food. We are thankful to God to what we do have. But I wish we had more to be able to do more than being at home so much. Taking free walks gets boring after a while hahaha. Jesus had fun walking because 5000 were right on His path. Jesus also walked on water. I believe this truly but I will say that loaf in the kitchen has not multiplied or the money or meat. We desire to do good stewardship with whatever we have. Even to give if we have the money to give if we had.

Maybe right now is to take some good advice from Golden Eagle or other posts in this thread to how to deal with finances and how to find work from home if it is really possible.

Already I will say thanks to anyone who can help
your friend glider

Hi Glider!

I have created a seperate thread for this post. I hope you find the advice given helpful. See this link: http://www.worthychr...nancial-advice/

Also as far as debt goes check out: http://www.worthychr...et-out-of-debt/

God bless,
GE

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
30) When you buy food, make sure to eat it!

30a) Wasting food can add up quick. If we don’t eat our fresh food and vegetables they can go to waste.

31) CashBack Rewards on Debit Cards?

31a) 1% or 2% back on all purchases. Check out http://www.perkstreet.com/

31b) Sounds too good to be true? I had questions here are some of the answers I found:

- They do not have physical branches
- Similar to ING Direct, to make a deposit you have to transfer the $ from another account or set up direct deposit.
- They do offer checkbooks (and the first one is free)
- They have live phone service 24/7
- Free online banking and bill pay
- According to their website they have the “Nation’s largest surcharge-free ATM network”
- No minimum balance requirement
- FDIC insured up to $250,000

31c) The Catch? There is a monthly inactivity fee of $4.50 if you don’t use your debit card or write a check that month.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
32) First Time Customers & Store Rewards

32a) Buy Buy Baby (Owned in part by Bed, Bath, & Beyond) offers 20% off to first time customers via a text message. This is great for people with smart phones who find out about this at the store. Or sign up at home before you go and print of your coupon. You can also use Bed Bath & Beyond Coupons at Buy Buy Baby.

32b) At Lifeway I asked for a discount and got a 10% discount through a text. You can also get discounts as you purchase 10 times there with a coupon the use a hole punch for.

32c) First time we opened a Khol’s charge account (which we paid off the same month) we got an additional 30% off our purchases. I had just switched jobs and needed new clothes for work. My wife also was able to get a few things. I know it’s all about perspective but the items were already on sale 50% off. So we got an additional 30% off of that. The “value” of our products was in the $500 range and we paid only $170. The items were 4 pairs of men’s business casual pants, 8 men’s business casual shirts, 6 men’s pairs of socks, 2 men’s belts, 2 women’s blouses, 1 dress, 1 pair of women’s pants, and a few other things. We were tickled to death.

32d) At Target you can get a Target Card and get 5% off on all purchases. Since we shopped there anyway that seemed to be a good offer.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

33) Wedding & Gift Registration:

33a) Target
Registry is somewhat easy to use. Kiosks can be a bit of a pain at times as they are self-service. Keyboards often stick and logging in can be a pain. Guns are fun to use so don’t get carried away. Returns are relatively easy. They allow two returns for unlimited products without receipts. There is also a 10% discount on everything remaining on your registry mailed out 4-8 weeks before your Life Changing Happy Event.

33b) Bed Bath & Beyond ( & Buy Buy Baby)
Registry is really easy to use. The list is printed off by associates. They have consultants readily available for questions and a tour. This was by far the best experience. Returns are really easy and are done at the registry. They allow unlimited returns without receipts in most instances with the assistance of a manager. There is also a 10% discount coupon on everything remaining on your registry mailed out 4-8 weeks before your Life Changing Happy Event.

33c) Dillard’s
Registry is somewhat easy to use. The list is printed off by associates at a kiosk. They have consultants available for questions a majority of the time. While employees are cordial they weren’t always helpful. In fact many of them ignored us as we weren’t actually buying anything. This was somewhat of a disappointing experience. Returns were not always easy. You have to go a specific customer service department and there was often a wait. They allow returns with receipts. Refunds are in the same amount as the tender paid or as gift cards. There is also a 10% discount on everything remaining on your registry after your Life Changing Happy Event.

33d) My advice? Sign up for things you will use throughout the year not just what people would think of “traditional” wedding gifts (specifically at Target & BBB) and you can still get a 10% discount on items up to 1-2 years after your Life Changing Happy Event. Toilette Paper, Cleaning Supplies, Formula, Baby Food, Baby Wipes, or Diapers anyone? See store exclusions for details.

33e) I’d love to hear from people who have had experiences with registry’s with Sears, Macey’s, Walmart, JCPenney’s, etc.

34) OpenOffice

Why pay for Microsoft Office when you can get a similar set of programs for free? Try Openoffice.org it includes programs that are compatible with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Did I mention this was FREE? Forget spending $100+ on Microsoft Office. Try it out for a few weeks at the very least.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

35) Negotiate Your Bills – Make the Call

35a) Call Cable/Satellite
If this is not something you can give up at least consider giving your local provider a call and ask for a better deal. “Do you have any deals or promotions at a better rate?”

35b) Call Disconnection Department
Call your phone, internet, TV service provider and tell them you’re considering closing your account. Ask to speak to the cancellation department. I did this for our internet provider, AT&T, and saved over half the bill for 12 months. Never hurts to ask.

35c) Call Your Insurance Company
When was the last time you got a quote? Call and ask for a better rate on your insurance. Consolidate from two car (assuming multiple vehicles in your family) insurance providers to one.

35d) Call and Demand Better Service from Your Bank
Sometimes you can get better interest from your bank just by asking. Also, ask about getting interest on your checking account. Remember the bank is getting your money and lending it out to people for 3-20% interest to other customers. It’s all about perspective.

35e) Call and Ask For A Fee To Be Waved
If you’re not a regular offender this can save money. I had a check someone wrote me bounce a few months back. I called and spoke to the branch manager. I explained my account never went below $X thousand dollars and requested the favor that the fee be waived. He was happy to comply.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

If this is not something you can give up at least consider giving your local provider a call and ask for a better deal. “Do you have any deals or promotions at a better rate?”

Call your phone, internet, TV service provider and tell them you’re considering closing your account. Ask to speak to the cancellation department. I did this for our internet provider, AT&T, and saved over half the bill for 12 months. Never hurts to ask.

When was the last time you got a quote? Call and ask for a better rate on your insurance. Consolidate from two car (assuming multiple vehicles in your family) insurance providers to one.

Sometimes you can get better interest from your bank just by asking. Also, ask about getting interest on your checking account. Remember the bank is getting your money and lending it out to people for 3-20% interest to other customers. It’s all about perspective.

If you’re not a regular offender this can save money. I had a check someone wrote me bounce a few months back. I called and spoke to the branch manager. I explained my account never went below $X thousand dollars and requested the favor that the fee be waived. He was happy to comply.

I have done all of the above and, most of the time, you can get what you want because they want to keep your business.  Btw, I've also had someone's check bounce on me so....I take other people's checks to their bank; I never deposit them into my account after being burned.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts

I have done all of the above and, most of the time, you can get what you want because they want to keep your business.  Btw, I've also had someone's check bounce on me so....I take other people's checks to their bank; I never deposit them into my account after being burned.

Yes this is good advice. I once had a friend's check bounce too. I called and asked them to remove the $35 fee. Now I often go to the bank of the person to cash the check too. :thumbsup:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network