christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HEAVEN IS REAL - A doctor's experience of the afterlife

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,649 posts
There is an article in the October 15th issue of Newsweek titled as the above. Please read what he has to say and let's discuss.

HEAVEN IS REAL

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,191 posts

A sound, huge and booming like a glorious chant, came down from above, and I wondered if the winged beings were producing it. Again, thinking about it later, it occurred to me that the joy of these creatures, as they soared along, was such that they had to make this noise—that if the joy didn't come out of them this way then they would simply not otherwise be able to contain it. The sound was palpable and almost material, like a rain that you can feel on your skin but doesn't get you wet.

Of course there will be questions, and discussions, and skeptics (as he says especially in the church), when it comes to what he saw, and where he was..

But oh wow, I don't care, that is a place I want to be, forever.

The woman’s outfit was simple, like a peasant’s, but its colors—powder blue, indigo, and pastel orange-peach—had the same overwhelming, super-vivid aliveness that everything else had. She looked at me with a look that, if you saw it for five seconds, would make your whole life up to that point worth living, no matter what had happened in it so far. It was not a romantic look. It was not a look of friendship. It was a look that was somehow beyond all these, beyond all the different compartments of love we have down here on earth. It was something higher, holding all those other kinds of love within itself while at the same time being much bigger than all of them.

I have read where others who have had similar experiences also saw these super vivid colors.

If anything it is an amazing and uplifting read, and I really, really want to believe him.

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
Great read. I loved his explaining how thoughts were exchanged. God does that for me on occasion in the here and now.
I tell Him I do not understand something and very soon the explanation is there, so what he said seems plausible to me.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
"The universe . . . is defined by love."

"Today many believe that the living spiritual truths of religion have lost their power, and that science, not faith, is the road to truth. Before my experience I strongly suspected that this was the case myself.

But I now understand that such a view is far too simple. The plain fact is that the materialist picture of the body and brain as the producers, rather than the vehicles, of human consciousness is doomed. In its place a new view of mind and body will emerge, and in fact is emerging already. This view is scientific and spiritual in equal measure and will value what the greatest scientists of history themselves always valued above all: truth."

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,649 posts
When I read the article in Newsweek, what stuck out to me was how the communication was done, without words ... he just knew the answer to his questions automatically. He also mentioned how music also had it's own language, where everything is different then what we now know and accept. From the article:

A sound, huge and booming like a glorious chant, came down from above, and I wondered if the winged beings were producing it. Again, thinking about it later, it occurred to me that the joy of these creatures, as they soared along, was such that they had to make this noise—that if the joy didn’t come out of them this way then they would simply not otherwise be able to contain it. The sound was palpable and almost material, like a rain that you can feel on your skin but doesn’t get you wet.

Seeing and hearing were not separate in this place where I now was. I could hear the visual beauty of the silvery bodies of those scintillating beings above, and I could see the surging, joyful perfection of what they sang. It seemed that you could not look at or listen to anything in this world without becoming a part of it—without joining with it in some mysterious way. Again, from my present perspective, I would suggest that you couldn’t look at anything in that world at all, for the word “at” itself implies a separation that did not exist there. Everything was distinct, yet everything was also a part of everything else, like the rich and intermingled designs on a Persian carpet ... or a butterfly’s wing.

It gets stranger still. ...

I highly suggest one reads all the article before stopping for any video.

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
I have not seen the video because I am on dial up.

OldShep

OldShep

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

I have not seen the video because I am on dial up.

Sometimes that is a Blessing.

Read the Book..To Heaven and Back, or Heaven is for Real..or better yet, just Trust in the Lord Jesus.

2Co 12:1 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord.
2Co 12:2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.
2Co 12:3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows—
2Co 12:4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.
2Co 12:5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses.
2Co 12:6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say.

Some people will be very surprised and happy, others will not.

Dennis

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
I read it. Let me see, what I can say. I've read many NDE's because I became very interested in them 20 years ago. I should also say that I am a Christian and I do believe Heaven is real. So I'm biased to believe this man's story. But in spite of all this, the story this man is relating seems wrong. I'm not saying he didn't experience all this, he obviously did. I am saying I doubt that what he experienced is the REAL Heaven. It actually sounds like he saw that movie, "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind", and he loved it so much that he buried it deep in his mind and his mind drew upon it for what he experienced while in the coma. I'm also saying I have read other NDE's that sounded much more believable than this.

There is another thing wrong with what he's saying. He said he was given the message that we can do nothing wrong, and therefore we have nothing to worry about. And that we are loved by God unconditionally. That just isn't the Christian message, nor is it the message of any religion. It is the New Age message, and/or the message of any number of well meaning "spiritual" people, who sing and dance with the best of them, but live their lives in what the Bible would call sinful ways. It seems to me the message this man said he received goes against everything the Bible is teaching. That actually makes sense if this wasn't real, but was something his mind produced. I say this because he said before this experience he was either a nominal Christian, or at best he was a scientific man with a Christian background who didn't actually believe any of it. One thing a person like him would probably have a problem with is the concept of sin, and the ideas that we must live in a certain way to please God and get into Heaven. Based on his message we can do whatever we want to do, we have nothing to worry about, God loves us unconditionally and will bring us all to Heaven regardless of what we did. I just don't buy that. (and for those of you who might think I'm advocating salvation through good works, I'm not. We have been discussing this to death, so not to start it again. I'm saying if we don't have good works, we aren't saved, and not heading towards Heaven) Well the message this man says he received contradicts that.

One last point. For a man with the vast intelligence he claims he has I expected his writing to be of a much higher caliber than it is. I won't be surprised to learn he suffered lingering brain damage. From what he said, about investigating this experience the rest of his life, we should see many articles and a few books by him in the future. They should even contain some ground breaking new evidence. However, I bet we won't.

I'm sorry to say that I don't believe he experienced the real Heaven. I actually wish I did think he experienced the real Heaven.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,649 posts

I read it. Let me see, what I can say. I've read many NDE's because I became very interested in them 20 years ago. I should also say that I am a Christian and I do believe Heaven is real. So I'm biased to believe this man's story. But in spite of all this, the story this man is relating seems wrong. I'm not saying he didn't experience all this, he obviously did. I am saying I doubt that what he experienced is the REAL Heaven. It actually sounds like he saw that movie, "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind", and he loved it so much that he buried it deep in his mind and his mind drew upon it for what he experienced while in the coma. I'm also saying I have read other NDE's that sounded much more believable than this.

Interesting. I own the movie and can see no likeness. Can you expound on your thought? You need to remember, he was brain dead, where his mind was not working to create anything. This is why he spoke as a neurosurgeon, and not as a normal person, addressing the scientific side of his experience.

There is another thing wrong with what he's saying. He said he was given the message that we can do nothing wrong, and therefore we have nothing to worry about. And that we are loved by God unconditionally. That just isn't the Christian message, nor is it the message of any religion. It is the New Age message, and/or the message of any number of well meaning "spiritual" people, who sing and dance with the best of them, but live their lives in what the Bible would call sinful ways. It seems to me the message this man said he received goes against everything the Bible is teaching. That actually makes sense if this wasn't real, but was something his mind produced. I say this because he said before this experience he was either a nominal Christian, or at best he was a scientific man with a Christian background who didn't actually believe any of it. One thing a person like him would probably have a problem with is the concept of sin, and the ideas that we must live in a certain way to please God and get into Heaven. Based on his message we can do whatever we want to do, we have nothing to worry about, God loves us unconditionally and will bring us all to Heaven regardless of what we did. I just don't buy that. (and for those of you who might think I'm advocating salvation through good works, I'm not. We have been discussing this to death, so not to start it again. I'm saying if we don't have good works, we aren't saved, and not heading towards Heaven) Well the message this man says he received contradicts that.

Yes, if taken to mean he was speaking to those of us who are of this world, I would agree and say he is a follower of Universalism. Yet, I saw him of speaking of who he was when he was there, not able to do anything wrong. This struck me as strange, because I always believed we would continue to have free will, but free will was given to man to make a choice. Once with Him, the choice would of already been made, so no need for free will. I have always believed that being with Christ would remove all doubt, since we have already gone through the questioning process.

One last point. For a man with the vast intelligence he claims he has I expected his writing to be of a much higher caliber than it is. I won't be surprised to learn he suffered lingering brain damage. From what he said, about investigating this experience the rest of his life, we should see many articles and a few books by him in the future. They should even contain some ground breaking new evidence. However, I bet we won't.

Not all intelligent people write well. I cannot judge a person on his writing capabilities. We may or may not see more books. He seems to be well set in finances since he has works at some of the more prestigious institutes. Ask yourself this, if had an experience like he did, would you just leave it behind you and classify it as some strange dream? As I have posted, I once had a vision. I cannot prove its validity because it was a vision, yet I know it was real and the truth I took from it was a perfect truth.

I'm sorry to say that I don't believe he experienced the real Heaven. I actually wish I did think he experienced the real Heaven.

Yes, all the other experiences I have read, and to be honest, they are few, what I read seemed to fit perfectly into all that I have read before. Everything seemed to fit too well to believe, as if the next life is predictable. I am sorry, but though what he describes does sound strange, my spirit tells me different.

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

LOVE SONGS

LOVE SONGS

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
He didn't say if he saw God ,or entered heaven. I would have like to know more ...it was something he went through ...not a vision.
That is why he cannot forget the experiance and had to share it.

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Sometimes that is a Blessing.

Read the Book..To Heaven and Back, or Heaven is for Real..or better yet, just Trust in the Lord Jesus.

2Co 12:1 I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord.
2Co 12:2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.
2Co 12:3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows—
2Co 12:4 was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell.
2Co 12:5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses.
2Co 12:6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say.

Some people will be very surprised and happy, others will not.

Dennis

I fully well expect to be totally surprised and satisfied with what God has prepared for those who love Him.

Reading of these experiences is interesting, but I can neither validate nor condemn them. They are way they are to the person who experienced them.

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
Hey OneLight,

I don't know what your vision was, and it probably doesn't matter. I've read many of your posts here and you sound like you know who God is. Of course this is assuming I do too, and I think I know God. But I think I know God because when I read the Bible it sounds like I have become what the apostles said a man of God should be. Which is not perfect. And it's taken close to 30 years to happen. I don't like to say this stuff because it sounds like I'm boasting, and I don't want to boast as it is not of God.

When I made my 1st response last night, I didn't realize this man has already written a book. I think it's coming out next week. But since I'm no longer an avid reader, I won't be reading it.

I also assume we will have free will in Heaven. I think one of the whole purposes for us being on Earth is to weed the evil out of us. I also think many of Jesus parables back this up. I see most of this life as being a test. Or as a beloved Christian friend of mine would say, a trial testing. She has a unique way of saying things and it's taken me most of my life to appreciate her unique form of expression. But I agree with her. This is a trial testing. If we pass, we will be in Heaven and we will have free will. We will also be glorifying God with every decision we make because every decision we make will be to do what He wants us to do and follow his ways. And since there won't be any evil beings in Heaven to try and put evil thoughts in our minds, it shouldn't be hard to do what God wants.

I've already reached a point here on Earth, where I am taking a stance in the favor of God's ways more and more. Even 20 years ago I would have felt afraid or uncertain to take a stance against something like homosexuality and gay unions. I know I would have not been in favor of it, but I wouldn't have made a post (if there was an Internet back then) saying homosexuality is wrong. I would have just said it isn't my cup of tea. But now I say it's wrong because God says it's wrong.

Btw, I don't know what Universalism is. I see from this board there are so very many new isms that I don't know what they are. And since I'm way too old to be going back to school, I'll probably never know. But I'll tell you what my take is on all this.

We have truly reached the point where knowledge has increased by leaps and bounds. We're also seeing how false teachers and false prophets (to use Bible language) are coming from everywhere with all kinds of new ideas. But almost all these new ideas, or isms, are in opposition to the simple truths of God. It's getting harder and harder to do what is right by God, and you young people have my deepest sympathy. We have amazing technology today, but our morals are in decay. I fear for America and I fear for this world. What should have happened was for knowledge to increase but morality to increase too. That would have been of God. But that also would have not been what the Bible predicted. Since many people would like to say the Bible is wrong, then that would have been the way to prove it.

But the way America and the world went is proving the Bible right. I'm beyond trying to prove the Bible right. I simply know it is right, because everytime I hear something new going on in the world, I get scriptures in my head that said it would happen.

Maybe this man experienced the real Heaven. I don't know. It just sounds to me like a conglomerate of ideas in various movies that his mind put together as his cortex came back to full functioning. Someone pointed out how a 5 minute dream can seem to last hours. Maybe this whole thing happened in the space of a few minutes. I don't know.

So I'll say this. If reading what this man experienced encourages a person to follow God, and to deny self, as Jesus stated we need to do, then that's good. And far be it from me to say this wasn't true. I'm in favor of anything that makes Godliness increase. Because our world sure needs it.

PS: He did see at least 1 thing I have heard of before, and from a man whom I trusted. The river of life. I've actually heard of it from several people. I have high confidence that it is a real thing.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,649 posts
Brother, you make many points, so I will try and address them all below.

I also assume we will have free will in Heaven. I think one of the whole purposes for us being on Earth is to weed the evil out of us. I also think many of Jesus parables back this up. I see most of this life as being a test. Or as a beloved Christian friend of mine would say, a trial testing. She has a unique way of saying things and it's taken me most of my life to appreciate her unique form of expression. But I agree with her. This is a trial testing. If we pass, we will be in Heaven and we will have free will. We will also be glorifying God with every decision we make because every decision we make will be to do what He wants us to do and follow his ways. And since there won't be any evil beings in Heaven to try and put evil thoughts in our minds, it shouldn't be hard to do what God wants.

Here is the catch. We may still have free will, I'm not sure, but what I do believe is kin to what you said above. We are going through the fire while in this life. We are refined, staying steadfast in His will for us, burning away what is not. Once we leave this life and are with Him, we will become like Christ in every way. There will no longer be any doubt, for we will know was we are known (1 Cor 13). For this reason, we will not be able to do any wrong in Heaven, since there will be no evil and we have no doubt. We will do what is right all the time.

Btw, I don't know what Universalism is. I see from this board there are so very many new isms that I don't know what they are. And since I'm way too old to be going back to school, I'll probably never know. But I'll tell you what my take is on all this.

We are always learning. You are just over a year older then I am and I learn something new every day. It is only through a choice that we no longer learn, refusing to learn, so to say.

Universalism is a belief that everyone will be allowed into heaven, no matter what we have done, or even if we reject God, for God is pure love and He will forgive all. Though Wikipedia is not a good source, you can get a glimpse of the meaning here. It dat4es back to the 1700's, I believe, maybe even further with no real record for accountability.

We have truly reached the point where knowledge has increased by leaps and bounds. We're also seeing how false teachers and false prophets (to use Bible language) are coming from everywhere with all kinds of new ideas. But almost all these new ideas, or isms, are in opposition to the simple truths of God. It's getting harder and harder to do what is right by God, and you young people have my deepest sympathy. We have amazing technology today, but our morals are in decay. I fear for America and I fear for this world. What should have happened was for knowledge to increase but morality to increase too. That would have been of God. But that also would have not been what the Bible predicted. Since many people would like to say the Bible is wrong, then that would have been the way to prove it.

But the way America and the world went is proving the Bible right. I'm beyond trying to prove the Bible right. I simply know it is right, because everytime I hear something new going on in the world, I get scriptures in my head that said it would happen.

It is the end times and prophecy will be fulfilled. As man leans on his own understanding, including his own understanding of scripture outside of the Holy Spirit, new beliefs and twisted versions of Christianity will come forth, as it has, and many will be deceived. Look at the Post Modern generation ... what is true for you may not be true for me, what is true for me may not be true for you ... rationalization to the max. There is only one truth, and this truth is found in God and Him alone. It is man who dilutes His words.

Maybe this man experienced the real Heaven. I don't know. It just sounds to me like a conglomerate of ideas in various movies that his mind put together as his cortex came back to full functioning. Someone pointed out how a 5 minute dream can seem to last hours. Maybe this whole thing happened in the space of a few minutes. I don't know.

So I'll say this. If reading what this man experienced encourages a person to follow God, and to deny self, as Jesus stated we need to do, then that's good. And far be it from me to say this wasn't true. I'm in favor of anything that makes Godliness increase. Because our world sure needs it.

PS: He did see at least 1 thing I have heard of before, and from a man whom I trusted. The river of life. I've actually heard of it from several people. I have high confidence that it is a real thing.

There is no way to prove it one way or another. I can only go as I am moved, and I am moved to accept his words in the context it was implied, and experience he went through. As I did show through scripture, we can't even imagine what it will be like in the next life. It will be more loving and beautiful that our words could never explain it. I see this as the trouble he speaks of, * saying that there will not be an understanding in full this side of death. *=my words

JTC

JTC

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
Hi OneLight,

Thank you for explaining universalism. No I don't agree with that. I do think that while it is the age of man, God is making every allowance He can to get every human soul to salvation that is possible. But it won't be every single one for a variety of reasons. Some will be found to be intrinsically evil, such as satan and his angels are. Actually that's the only reason.

What some of you may disagree with me on is how God handles souls who never really had a chance to accept Jesus. This whole issue puts me in a position I'd rather not be in, because I have a cousin who I grew up with as a twin brother. He learned what I learned. He knew what I knew. He even was blessed with a wonderful wife and 2 sons, while I was not. But whereas I turned to God through the Bible when we were 30, he was turning away. When we were about 40 he told me he renounced Jesus as Lord and Savior. Today he is insane. He's not in a mental institution yet, but if he ever can't find someone to support him, that's where he's going. Now you see, I greatly fear for his soul. It's not my place to judge him, but we were taught Jesus is the Lord, Savior, and Son of God since we were old enough to talk. All that remained was for us to make a formal declaration for Christ which I did at 30. Shortly before he renounced Jesus. I can only hope God will see him as not being in his right mind, when he did that. But to this day he stands by his new age beliefs. So I greatly fear for him.

However, when it comes to people born into other religions, I think God is making allowances for them. These are not easy allowances. These allowances will encompass great suffering on their part, but while it's the age of man, some of them will find salvation. And since I was raised Catholic, I still hold to the idea of some sort of purgatory, and again, only for certain souls. Here is who I mean. I am greatly troubled by people who accepted Jesus and continue to live wrong. Maybe they want to live right, but maybe they're just too weak to do so. It isn't easy to live right. And I don't think I always do so. But based on what many people say to me, I'm doing a better job of it than I think I am. So maybe I am. I'm new here, so I realize I have to prove myself to you old time members. The time will come when the time comes.

But this is totally off topic. I did say I hope I was wrong about the Doctor who had this experience, and I meant that. So if most of you think he experienced the real Heaven I'll agree he did. I guess the main thing that put me off was the message that you can do nothing wrong, and you have nothing to worry about. If that meant only while he was in Heaven fine. I agree. But he was also told eventually he'd be sent back. Once he came back here he has to worry that his calling is sure. If even Paul and the other apostles had to examine themselves daily, to make sure the way they were living was lining up with what they were being taught by the Holy Spirit, are we to assume we don't have to do this? I say no. We do have to do this. Except maybe it's easier for us because we have the Holy Spirit and we have the written Word of God. The apostles only had the Holy Spirit. Although they did have each other, but we too have each other.

My sincere hope is I will find other people who are like minded with me about God here on Worthy. Because I have not been able to find many in-person where I live. Can it be that us true believers have become so few that we need the Internet to find each other? Is that what people who are of the true faith have come down to? The more posts I read here, the more I think so.

I have so very much to say. And while I don't know who to trust yet, you have even better reason to not trust me yet. I know this. I've only been here a few short months and already I see the phonies who seem to pop up every 1 or 2 weeks. The last one I know of proved he knew nothing when he said there is a resurrection from the 2nd death. I can understand there being confusion over the 2nd death. But one thing is clear. It is permanent. It's permanent for us, and for satan and his angels. I could scarcely believe what I was reading when this guy proclaimed there's a resurrection from the 2nd death. So I am seeing 1st hand why you long time members must be weary of us new folks. I will not disagree with all of you over something I am hardly sure of. So maybe it was the real Heaven. You're right. It can't be proven anyway.

Peace Brother, in Jesus Name,

John

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,649 posts
Hey JTC,

I agree that when we are in this life, we have to continue to check ourselves to assure we are doing His will and not ours, just as the Apostles did. If one allows the Holy Spirit to lead them, this is an easier task than for those who do not know how to hear His voice yet. I can separate heaven and earth in my mind.

When I look at Romans 1 and 2, I believe that those who never had the chance to know God will be judged by their heart. Those who do have the chance, and refuse to learn, God will judge accordingly. Only He knows the true heart of anyone.

Nobody will agree with any other person 100% of the time. Allow His Spirit to guide you in what to post. He will never steer you in the wrong direction, so if you start to receive negative feedback, realize that the Holy Spirit may be using what you say to change you or another. I am not saying that every negative response you receive is for this reason, but to be honest, we don't know.

LOVE SONGS

LOVE SONGS

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
(quote) Onelight
Nobody will agree with any other person 100% of the time. Allow His Spirit to guide you in what to post. He will never steer you in the wrong direction, so if you start to receive negative feedback, realize that the Holy Spirit may be using what you say to change you or another. I am not saying that every negative response you receive is for this reason, but to be honest, we don't know.

I agree with this .. 100 % .... this does happen to me , too.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
Question: When someone has an experience, such as going to heaven, seeing or hearing God etc., how should we receive it? Answering that question for myself, I see no harm in listening to it, but always being skeptical about it. How do we know the difference between reality, hallucination, mental illness, an active imagination, a lie to gain attention, or the genuine article?

Again, answering for myself, we test it by scripture. If it agrees with scripture, then it might be authentic, if it does not agree with scripture, it is false (or scripture is).

It seems then, that for those who beleive the scripture, there is nothing to be learned from these things, so where does the value lie in them? They cannot add to, or take away from scripture AND be trusted. Am I missing something?

Heaven is real, not because a doctor with a brain problem says it is after a possible hallucination, but becuase God says it is. Christians already believe that, and I doubt that skeptics will be swayed by testamonies of people who claime to have been there or 'seen' it. If it is true that people have been swayed by such testamonies, then I fear for them becuase that suggests Christians are likely wrong, since all sorts of cultists have 'been to Heaven" this way.

OldShep

OldShep

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Question: When someone has an experience, such as going to heaven, seeing or hearing God etc., how should we receive it? Answering that question for myself, I see no harm in listening to it, but always being skeptical about it. How do we know the difference between reality, hallucination, mental illness, an active imagination, a lie to gain attention, or the genuine article?

Again, answering for myself, we test it by scripture. If it agrees with scripture, then it might be authentic, if it does not agree with scripture, it is false (or scripture is).

It seems then, that for those who beleive the scripture, there is nothing to be learned from these things, so where does the value lie in them? They cannot add to, or take away from scripture AND be trusted. Am I missing something?

Well, it may help some find peace here on earth and some may even loose the doubt they carry around about Heaven..

Paul Speaks of knowing a man that seen the 3rd Heaven, (we think we know Paul was speaking of himself)...Yet God, wrote the Bible...So maybe it has more to do with the person that had the NDE,... then those who are told about it and have not yet... tasted the sting of death..Olny God knows for sure....

LOVE SONGS

LOVE SONGS

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
Question...
When someone has a near death experience or dies and comes back... how can they see ? They had their eyes closed.

When we dream ...we can see in our dream. Dreams are from with-in the brain.

HAZARD

HAZARD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
Im very interested in what Scripture teaches about Heaven and in fact Scripture teaches that Heaven is a created place, created by God.

(Gen. 1:1; Isa.42:5: 45:18; Col.1:16-18: Neh.9:6; Ps. 102:25; Prov.8:27).

Heaven is a real place, not dissimilar to the Earth. (Gen.1:1; Heb.11:8-16). In this last passage it is called a "BETTER COUNTRY" than the earth. Heaven, therefore, is not an invisable nothing or a cloud floating in space where saints sit and play Jew's harp forever.

THERE ARE THREE HEAVENS. Heaven where God dwells (Gen21:17; 22:11, 15: 2 Cor. 12:1-3; Deut. 26:15; 1 Kings 8:30;38, 43, 49) there are two other spheres called Heaven. Paul speaks of three heavens (2 Cor. 12:1-3) The third Heaven here is called the paradise where God lives. The other two heavens are: the clouds (Gen.1:8; 7:23; 8:2; Job 38:9, 34; Isa. 14:14; Jer.51:16) and the starry space between the Earth and Heaven itself, (Gen. 1:15-20; 22:17; Isa.14:12-14; Ps. 8:3).

HEAVEN IS THE CAPITOL OF THE UNIVERSE, for God has His capital city, the New Jerusalem, His capitol building, the Heavenly Temple or Tabernacle, and His throne in the Temple in Heaven. This city is described by John in Rev.21-22. This capital city will continue to be in Heaven until the end of the Millenium and then it will be moved from the planet Heaven to the planet Earth (Rev.21:2, 9-21). Many Scriptures speak of God's throne being in Heaven. (Ps. 103:19; Rev.4:1-2). That God has a real temple in Heaven is clear from Rev.4-5; 11:19; 14:17; 16:17.

GOD OWNS AND RULES FROM THE HEAVENS OF HEAVENS (Gen. 14:19,22; Ps. 11:4; 89:11; Luke 10:21; 11:2). He also ownes the Earth and all things in the universe, but at present this planet is in rebellion against Him. This is why Jesus will be sent from Heaven with the armies of Heaven to sieze this rebellious part of the universe and restore Gods absolute rule on Earth as before the rebellion started (1 Cor. 15:24-28; Rev. 19:1-21; 20:1-10 Zech. 14; Jude 14; 2 Thess. 1:7-10; Joel 3; Matt. 24:29-31; 25:31-46).

THE LOCATION OF HEAVEN IS IN THE NORTHERN PART OF THE UNIVERSE. (Isa.14:12-14). In Scripture we are told that Lucifer led a rebellion into Heaven into the sides of the North. In Ps.75:6-7 we are told that promotion comes not from the south, east, or west, but from Lord and therefore from the north.

HEAVEN IS INHABITED (! Kings 22:19; 2 Chron. 18:18; Matt.18:10; 22:30; 24:36; Rev. 12:12; 13:6). Armies and hosts of Heaven are mentioned an number of times as seen in these passages and in Dan. 4:35; Luke 2:13; Rev. 19:14. These inhabitants are listed in part as common angels, archangels, seraphim, cherubim and other spirit beings. Heavenly bodies are mentioned in 1 Cor. 15:48-49. Rejocing in Heaven is referred to by the inhabitants in Heaven (Ps. 96:11; 148:1, 4; Isa.44:23; Rev. 12:12). 8. Paul speaks of "the invisible things" in Heaven as being like the visible things on Earth; that is the things in Heaven are just like the things on Earth. (Rom. 1:20). The word "things" is used in many passages in referring to realities in Heaven. (Phil. 2:10; Col 1:16-20; Heb. 8:12; 9:23). We know from Scripture that in Heaven there are Cities (Rev.21), mansions (John 14:1-3), trees, rivers (Rev.22:1-3), fountains of water (Rev. 7:17), food (Ex.16:4; Ps.78:25: 105:40; John 6:31-51: Luke 22:16, 18, 30; Rev. 2:7, 17: 19:1-10; 22:1-3), animals (2 Kings 2:11-12; 6:13-17; Zech. 1:8-11: 6:1-8; Rev. 19:11-14, 21: Rom. 1:20), furniture tongs (Isa.6:6), fire and coals (Isa. 6:6; Rev.8:5) censer and incense (Rev. 8:4-6), smoke (Rev. 8:4; 15:8), musical instruments (Rev. 5:8; 14:1-5; 15:2-4), clothes (Dan. 7:9; Rev. 1:13; 6:9-11), stones (Rev. 2:17), books (Rev. 3:5; 5:1-7; 10:1-11; 20:11-15), Also mentioned in Scripture are, vials or bowls, crowns, thunderings, lightnings, clouds, lamps, a sea of glass, singing, worship, palm trees, temples, silence, so there must also be noise at other times, trumpets, hail, mountains, keys and chains, measuring sticks, olive trees, the ark of the testament, doors, posts, girdles, pearls, diamonds and other precious stones, walls, gates, gold in abundance, streets, fruits, banquets, and many other inumerable things. If the invisible things in the heavenlies are clearly seen by the things on Earth, as Paul taught in Rom. 1:20, then we have a right to believe that there are in Heaven the same kind of things that we have on Earth. We have no right to make an exception of any good thing that God created and intended for man to have before the fall. Several natural men have gone to Heaven and have come back or will later come back. They are Enoch (Gen.5:22; Heb. 11:5), Elijah (2 Kings 2), Paul (2 Cor. 12:1-4), and John (Rev. 4:1). The first two of these men are still in Heaven living a natural life and will come back as the two witnesses of Zech. 4:11-14; Rev. 11:3-13).
Enoch has been in Heaven over 5,142 years and Elijah has been there over 3,500 years and they are still eating drinking, and enjoying life in Heaven.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network