christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Three Days and Three Nights

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

LoyalGypsy

LoyalGypsy
  • Members
  • 18 posts

I'm not sure if this would be going off topic, but I've always been interested in asking this question:

If Jesus was killed and dead for three days and three nights, who was running the universe? And who buried him and where? And if Jesus is capable of dying, does that make death, or the angel of death, stronger than him?

These are great questions but derail the original intent of the thread so I won't touch them here.

I thought it would be so, but due to my newness on this forum I'm not allowed to make new topics yet. It would be great if a knowledgeable scholar/student would make a new open topic for questions and answers whereby anyone may come and ask a question, and be replied to.

Greetings

I am new in here also,
but it sounds like one is looking for either a secular or a general theology thread...

LG

HAZARD

HAZARD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
With all thats been debated on this thread, I still cannot believe Jesus did not mean what He said when He said He would be three days and three nights in the tomb.

If Jesus died and was buried just before sunset Friday, that will make one night and one day from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.Then Saturday sunset to Sunday sunset would be another day and night, but Jesus rose from the dead on Saturday night, just before Sunrise Sunday Morning according to John 20:1.

"And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun." (Mark 16:2),

"Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils" (Mark 16:9),

"Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them." (Luke 24:1),

"The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre." (John 20:1),

What happened to the other one or two days and nights Jesus said He would be in the tomb????

Jesus does not lie! Nor does Jesus try to dupe or confuse His followers! Were are these missing days and nights?????

Cheers, Haz.

gnomonist

gnomonist

Advanced Member

• Members *
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
This topic comes up on Christian forums around Easter every year like clockwork! :grin: But I looked at the date of the OP and this thread was actually earlier! And every year it goes around and around in circles.

The way I see it, the issue of what 3 days means to people boils down to "inclusive reckoning" vs "actual 72 hours", and which theory they accept.

But for guys like me, I find it interesting in Scripture that Jesus actually defined the length of day (light):

"Are there not twelve hours in the day?"

Ironically, those folks who believe in "inclusive reckoning" state the Western time concepts are different than Jewish. However, this statement about the hours in a day was a Jewish way of reckoning time--- the Western nations as we know them were not even in existance yet. Because today we reckon the summer hours are longer, i.e. suppose Christ died in late April, there would be about 13 hours in a day by Western reckoning.

And also in that sense "3 days and 3 nights" to me ceases to be an idiom and I thus take the actual position.

I don't think the OP was actually answered. The closest I saw was a source authority quote that said that it could include parts of a day, not an actual documented event as the OP asked for. So when we are on the fence like this, I like to go to what Jesus stated, and as such John 11:9 was another precise mention of that matter (or else why say it?).

In addition, Everything had to be done by the feast days: Passover was the Lamb sacrificed, Unleavened Bread foreshadowed the first day in the tomb (the start of the 3 days) and Firstfruits (which began later in the week at sundown) foreshadowed His resurrection. Only a literal interpretation of Matthew 12:40 IMO fits this. Any other time line does not seem to satisfy Christ fulfilling them at the proper times, which were the very reasons for the feasts to begin with. That's my take, anyway.

rstrats

rstrats

Advanced Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Qnts2,

re: "1 Cor 15:4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures... If Jesus died before sunset on Thursday...So [to?] get Sunday as the third day, Jesus had to have been crucified on Friday."

Well let's see. Two scriptures (Matthew 27:63 and Mark 8:31) say that He would be raised after three days. A literal reading of Matthew 12:40 requires a resurrection to take place after 3 days and Luke 24:21 also requires a resurrection after 3 days. So can it absolutely be ruled out when scripture says "on the third day" that it really means on the third day "after"?

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network