christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Please allow me to introduce myself...

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts
Probably not funny, but it was to me at the time, still is, but that might change.

Good morning all,

Like Phineas Bresee I tend towards saying, "Good morning," regardless the time of day. Why? Because the Son is always rising in the life of a Christian, or should be.

Anyway, my name is Paul. I am a member of the United Methodist Church and Reconciling Ministries Network. But I am bi-congregational in that I am also part of a Reformed Church in America plant (which is really quite strange as there is not a Reformed bone in my body, but I love the people and they seem to love heretic me (no easy task.))

I was what has been termed a neo-atheist for the greatest part of my life, well over 26 years of my adulthood. I do not count childhood as it is childhood and there are neuroplasticity issues to consider. I was THAT atheistic scientist, Dawkins, and Hitchens were far to religious in their atheism for me. During this time of atheism, while in prison in California, I fought for the rights of the pagans to worship. So I studies the various forms of paganism, most all of which are really neo-paganism. During this time, as I read about primitive religions and noticed a common thread in all, a small, faint voice in the back of my head said, "Paul, they all point to me, the One True God." I stuck my fingers in my mind's ears and yelled, "Shut up back there!"

Prison, yeah, a couple of times for a total of about 13 years. In 2005 after having gone through a substance abuse program (SAP) inside, which offered 6 months of after care I paroled into a Christian recovery program. Not the place I wanted to go, but because of my history the only one that would take me. As I read the Bible in this program I had no doubt that, IF there were a God, He would be the loving God that Jesus is. However, it took quite awhile for me to come to believe that any god exists. Because of my background in science everybody handed me these apologetics books, things like Mere Christianity, The Case for Christ. While I found the arguments contained within compelling, they just weren't convincing. Nope, there was no argument that can convince the true unbeliever.

No, it was a mystical experience that caused me to believe, not rational argument. I was in court, fighting to see my daughter. When the case was called, I felt a presence, that had always been there, recede. I felt an emptiness in that room that day. In the ensuing minutes many lies were told, the truth could not be heard, was dismissed. I was amazed. You see I had made a deal with this god I didn't believe in that IF I won I'd know he existed. Well I lost, lost miserably. But, in experiencing the absence, even in the midst of being absent the experience, I knew that the presence that wasn't there was God. Sure, I could rationally explain this with all the right psychological terms. But as I thought of these explanations, they just didn't satisfy.

I am oft heretic, oft schismatic. I am an open theist tending toward process. Having been thoroughly trained and raised in Modernity with all of its logic and reason, I know both its usefulness and limitations placing me squarely into postmodernism.

Well, I have run on for quite some time. As most of you are either asleep or have long since moved on I shall stop for now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
Hi Paul! :th_wave:

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts

Hi Paul! :th_wave:

Hi. Nice to meet you.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,609 posts
Hi Paul. Welcome to Worthy. It appears that you are not quite there when it comes to understanding God. Feel free to ask questions. In the mean time, I have changed your group to Seeker, which, by your own words, sounds like what you are doing at the moment. This will not restrict you in any way.

God Bless,
Alan

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts

Hi Paul. Welcome to Worthy. It appears that you are not quite there when it comes to understanding God. Feel free to ask questions. In the mean time, I have changed your group to Seeker, which, by your own words, sounds like what you are doing at the moment. This will not restrict you in any way.

God Bless,
Alan

Thank you Alan, if pushed we are all seekers, or should be. Continually seeking God and understanding.

I actually do have a pretty decent understanding of God and theology. I have gone through the ordination process in my previous denomination, including all the educational requirements. Granted that denomination is in the Wesleyan theological tradition. My latest forays have been exploring Orthodox theology, much of which resonates with me quite well, especially those of the Mysteries (sacraments) and what is usually termed the Fall.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
Welcome to Worthy. :)

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts

Welcome to Worthy. :)

Thank you GoldenEagle

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,989 posts
Welcome~!

~

No, it was a mystical experience that caused me to believe, not rational argument. I was in court, fighting to see my daughter. When the case was called, I felt a presence, that had always been there, recede. I felt an emptiness in that room that day. In the ensuing minutes many lies were told, the truth could not be heard, was dismissed. I was amazed. You see I had made a deal with this god I didn't believe in that IF I won I'd know he existed. Well I lost, lost miserably. But, in experiencing the absence, even in the midst of being absent the experience, I knew that the presence that wasn't there was God. Sure, I could rationally explain this with all the right psychological terms. But as I thought of these explanations, they just didn't satisfy....

Wonderful Testimony
Turning Toward The LORD In Times Of Great Testing And Loss
And Yes, Psychology And All Those Other Philosophies Are No Friend Of Men

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

~

A Question From The Peanut Gallery, Is This Mystical?

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
Proverbs 3:5-8

Or Is It Trusting?

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalms 139:23-24

You Make The Call

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Quench not the Spirit.
Despise not prophesyings.
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:15:24

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
Always interesting to see how God brings another to faith. He told me that I needed to dump logical arguments with atheists and bring them in via mystics, the that which cannot readily be explained as God makes it happen all around you. God is awesome.

Gary

Godsmercyinus

Godsmercyinus
  • Seeker
  • 27 posts
I signed up here purely because I really wanted to actually belong with a group of people I could ask about anything for help.

Username: Godsmercyinus
Occupation: Unemployed, graduated Westwood College, River Oaks Campus Early 2012, Bachelor's in the Applied Sciences of Animation.
Interests: Drawing, anime, animation, and talking with people

And there you go.

I'm happy to be here, but I'm happy simply because I'm attempting to involve myself more with communing with other Christians. I didn't really feel like I fit in anywhere else.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

I signed up here purely because I really wanted to actually belong with a group of people I could ask about anything for help.

Occupation: Unemployed, graduated Westwood College, River Oaks Campus Early 2012, Bachelor's in the Applied Sciences of Animation.

And there you go.

I'm happy to be here, but I'm happy simply because I'm attempting to involve myself more with communing with other Christians. I didn't really feel like I fit in anywhere else.

We'll have to get together for a cup of coffee sometime...I'm 90 miles south of you. I grew up in Lake Station, only then it was called East Gary. Born at Saint Margarets in Hammond. My mom and brothers are up in Valporaiso still.

Gary

Godsmercyinus

Godsmercyinus
  • Seeker
  • 27 posts

We'll have to get together for a cup of coffee sometime...I'm 90 miles south of you. I grew up in Lake Station, only then it was called East Gary. Born at Saint Margarets in Hammond. My mom and brothers are up in Valporaiso still.

Gary

Small world! :) Okay then~ how are things in Lake Station anyway?

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts

Welcome~!

~

No, it was a mystical experience that caused me to believe, not rational argument. I was in court, fighting to see my daughter. When the case was called, I felt a presence, that had always been there, recede. I felt an emptiness in that room that day. In the ensuing minutes many lies were told, the truth could not be heard, was dismissed. I was amazed. You see I had made a deal with this god I didn't believe in that IF I won I'd know he existed. Well I lost, lost miserably. But, in experiencing the absence, even in the midst of being absent the experience, I knew that the presence that wasn't there was God. Sure, I could rationally explain this with all the right psychological terms. But as I thought of these explanations, they just didn't satisfy....

Wonderful Testimony
Turning Toward The LORD In Times Of Great Testing And Loss
And Yes, Psychology And All Those Other Philosophies Are No Friend Of Men

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

~

A Question From The Peanut Gallery, Is This Mystical?

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
Proverbs 3:5-8

Or Is It Trusting?

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalms 139:23-24

You Make The Call

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Quench not the Spirit.
Despise not prophesyings.
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:15:24

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Thank you Joe

Edited by DelapsusResurgam, 18 November 2012 - 12:28 AM.

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts

Always interesting to see how God brings another to faith. He told me that I needed to dump logical arguments with atheists and bring them in via mystics, the that which cannot readily be explained as God makes it happen all around you. God is awesome.

Gary

Thank you Gary

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts

And there you go.

Hi Christopher. Welcome

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,989 posts
Welcome~!

~

I'm happy to be here, but I'm happy simply because I'm attempting to involve myself more with communing with other Christians. I didn't really feel like I fit in anywhere else....

:thumbsup:

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;
As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.
Psalms 133

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,989 posts

:)

Amen~!

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:46-47

nChrist

nChrist

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts
Hello Paul and Christopher. WELCOME to Worthy. I hope that you enjoy the fellowship here as much as I do.

DelapsusResurgam

DelapsusResurgam
  • Banned
  • 24 posts

Hello Paul and Christopher. WELCOME to Worthy. I hope that you enjoy the fellowship here as much as I do.

Thank you

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network