christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Opinion? Fact? Which is it?

* * * * - 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

treetopflyer

treetopflyer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
Hey,
A while back I learned something of what you describe. Essentially, there are three ways that theology can be disscussed.

1. Irenic Theology - Irenic is taken from the greek word irenus(spelling probably wrong), which means peace. So one way we may do this is in a peaceful manner. It also includes that you not only know what you believe, but you also have a good working idea of what your brother who disagrees with you, what he believes. I believe this type of theology...peaceful in manner is consistent with speaking the truth in love, yes?

2. Polemic Theology - Polemic comes from the greek word polemy(again, probably misspelled), which means war. This type of practicing theology is warlike in manner, in that you better believe the way I do. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, this comes out to often.

3. Apologetic Theology - Taken from 1 Peter 3:15, the defense of the gospel. This theology is done with those who challenge our beliefs and hopefully, as the verse describes, we speak in a peaceful, gentle, and respectful manner.

On a personal note, I've been guilty of practicing #2, and I hope that those I offended, have forgiven me. Today, in learning what it means to follow Christ, to love God, my neighbor, I only pray my thoughts, words, and actions bear fruit(See Galations 5:22-23).

Don't lose heart, please remember, God is calling you to reply to others in a manner that brings glory to Him, and Him alone.

God bless you,
Randal

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

The only answer I have to the question in the OP is that we all know that we are the one who is right, and others are wrong, and we are trying to save everyone from false doctrine. This creates a lot of friction. I used to get real heated in similar debates, but I realized that God didn't call us to convert everyone. How can he expect us to make everyone see the truth the way we do. All we are called to do is repeat what God showed us, and each person is accountable to accept or reject that truth.

As I say this, someone is probably already taking it like I am saying I have all truth. That is not the point I am making. What I am saying is that all of us feel we have the truth, and it is settled on a particular topic. We know we are right. It can be a debate on the rapture, Bible translations, sanctification, predestination, legalism, anything. I am right (every individual posting) and everyone else is wrong. If we didn't believe that, we wouldn't be pushing our views. I am not saying this is wrong. We should be confident in what we believe, but at the same time, the frustration comes in when we think our very life depends on making everyone else see things as we do. That is not possible. Only God can change a heart, so rather than getting angry over what I perceive to be false teachings, I just give my opinions, listen to what others say, and accept the fact we will never all agree. I wish we could get along, because being able to speak freely without the personal attacks can be useful, in learning why people believe what they do, and perhaps in coming to new conclusions ourselves.

Hello Butero,

Personally I have several doctrines of which I am undecided. Mostly I do not discuss these things online publicly because there are usually people who believe they must squash any thought which is opposed the ( or their) bible message by using character assassination. This brings a poor witness of Christian behaviour imo. I am also learning discussing guns, taxes, and any controversial issue can draw the same.

I leave these things mostly to discuss irl because people are more graceful when you are looking at them in the eyes. :D Also there is no lingering trail of ugly witness for people to see.

Edited by ninhao, 23 December 2012 - 04:06 PM.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts

The only answer I have to the question in the OP is that we all know that we are the one who is right, and others are wrong, and we are trying to save everyone from false doctrine. This creates a lot of friction. I used to get real heated in similar debates, but I realized that God didn't call us to convert everyone. How can he expect us to make everyone see the truth the way we do. All we are called to do is repeat what God showed us, and each person is accountable to accept or reject that truth.

As I say this, someone is probably already taking it like I am saying I have all truth. That is not the point I am making. What I am saying is that all of us feel we have the truth, and it is settled on a particular topic. We know we are right. It can be a debate on the rapture, Bible translations, sanctification, predestination, legalism, anything. I am right (every individual posting) and everyone else is wrong. If we didn't believe that, we wouldn't be pushing our views. I am not saying this is wrong. We should be confident in what we believe, but at the same time, the frustration comes in when we think our very life depends on making everyone else see things as we do. That is not possible. Only God can change a heart, so rather than getting angry over what I perceive to be false teachings, I just give my opinions, listen to what others say, and accept the fact we will never all agree. I wish we could get along, because being able to speak freely without the personal attacks can be useful, in learning why people believe what they do, and perhaps in coming to new conclusions ourselves.

Hello Butero,

Personally I have several doctrines of which I am undecided. Mostly I do not discuss these things online because there are always people who believe they must squash any thought which is opposed the ( or their) bible message by using character assassination. This brings a poor witness of Christian behaviour imo. I am also learning discussing guns, taxes, and any controversial issue can draw the same.

I leave these things mostly to discuss irl because people are more graceful when you are looking at them in the eyes. :D Also there is no lingering trail of ugly witness for people to see.

I understand what you are saying, and you may be wise to avoid those confrontations in order to stay out of trouble, but it is sad you have that fear. I have gone into a discussion on a topic, and was completely settled in my beliefs. Once the discussion was over, I learned things from those I didn't fully agree with, and had to modify things. You can actually learn things listening to others, even if you never fully come to agree.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Hello Butero,

Personally I have several doctrines of which I am undecided. Mostly I do not discuss these things online because there are always people who believe they must squash any thought which is opposed the ( or their) bible message by using character assassination. This brings a poor witness of Christian behaviour imo. I am also learning discussing guns, taxes, and any controversial issue can draw the same.

I understand what you are saying, and you may be wise to avoid those confrontations in order to stay out of trouble, but it is sad you have that fear. I have gone into a discussion on a topic, and was completely settled in my beliefs. Once the discussion was over, I learned things from those I didn't fully agree with, and had to modify things. You can actually learn things listening to others, even if you never fully come to agree.

Butero I still am able to learn from others online by reading the discussions. Unfortunately have you noticed how a position that may be correct can be tainted by an incorrect presentation. Sometimes it is difficult to see the truth because it is mixed with mud.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,007 posts
Then Again I Have Been Hurt

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

By That Which I Have

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Not Said.....

He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. John 21:16-17

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network