christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Marijuana Question

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
112 replies to this topic

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
Now that marijuana is legal in Colorado and Washington, would it still be wrong for Christians to smoke it in those states?

Jayyycuuup

Jayyycuuup

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts
I think it will depend upon the morals of that given person and what they believe is wrong and not. Personally I would say yes; but that could just be me. . .

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts
I find this question amazing. We are Christians.... we live by another lifestyle. So let me get this straight...... do you think it's OK for Christians so smoke dope just because it's legal in some states? Let me think about this. ...................... NO! Are you kidding. What do you say to your friends or even strangers that are looking to us for answers. And please let me hear you say to God when you face Him, "Well You know Lord it was legal". Think about it.

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts
We're called as believers to be filled with the Holy Spirit and not dope. To be filled by something is to be controlled by it. I would much rather be controlled by the Holy Spirit than any chemical be it drugs, alcohol, or whatever. Christ died to free me from the old life and I see no need to go back to something Jesus led me out of, legal or not. I value my walk with Jesus more highly than that.

I will also say that while it is possible not to drink alcohol to excess, the same can't be said of marijuana. There's no point in smoking the stuff if you're not gonna get high . . . :whistling:

Just my experience and opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,608 posts

Now that marijuana is legal in Colorado and Washington, would it still be wrong for Christians to smoke it in those states?

Would it be wrong for a Christian to have an abortion in a state or country where it is legal?

I think as we are "aliens" no matter where we are planted, and we should live by the bible and what it tells us, not what man decrees?

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
Whoa! Take it easy, guys! :laugh:

I was looking at it from this angle: It's not wrong for Christians to drink alcohol as long as they don't get drunk, so would smoking marijuana in moderation also be okay?

By the way, I don't do either. I'm simply curious of the types of answers this subject would receive.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,753 posts
There is a difference. One glass of wine should not get anyone drunk. It may take three or more, depending on your metabolism and how often you drink. However, one hit of marijuana will get you stoned. It is like apples and oranges. That is the trouble with questions about pot. There really is no comparison.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

The reasoning of drug use whether pot or booze is one of design rebellion... God made us to have a certain consciousness
and in the use of a chemical to induced a reaction to the brain to make us exist in a false consciousness... The Rebellion!

If we began right now to truly begin to thank God for our design and life- there would not be enough time to properly thank Him for
the one we have! Sin is very seductive and elusive to see why it is wrong-> it is modeled that way in order to make us think we like
the very thing that steals life from us- that which God first intended for us to have! Love, Steven

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

There is a difference. One glass of wine should not get anyone drunk. It may take three or more, depending on your metabolism and how often you drink. However, one hit of marijuana will get you stoned. It is like apples and oranges. That is the trouble with questions about pot. There really is no comparison.

What is your opinion on medicinal marijuana?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,425 posts

Well, I just saw your last post as I start to write this. What i want to say is that like Alcohol it would depend on why you smoke it.... Many people drink in small amounts for many reasons. My wife drinks a little wine every night for it helps her with cramps when she's trying to sleep (she has M.S,) I would think if a person was using weed for medical purposes it would not be a problem. I'm not part of the drug thing, but it doesn't seem to me that I hear people talk about just using a little weed. maybe I'm just not in the stream of things though.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
Tinky makes a valid point at which we as Christians should be able to come to a common consent based upon our collective maturity in Christ and discernment of good and evil having had our senses exercised to do so. While there is a biblical standard for showing the ingesting of alcohol to be OK in moderation, I can find nothing in scripture that gives understanding as to anything good or bad concerning the burning and inhaling of a substance outside of incense. There is a reference of two having brought strange fire before the Lord who were dealt with harshly for their error. Their job was to burn incense in their censers before the Lord.

I tend to err on the side of caution because we live in a sinful world where we are admonished about the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,753 posts

The same I have about any medicine. There is a time for them and a time not to use them. I have been up front that I had smoked pot for well over 35 years, mostly for medical reasons after 1987. I did this until Christ healed me. Then, I no longer needed the drug to curb the pain.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

The same I have about any medicine. There is a time for them and a time not to use them. I have been up front that I had smoked pot for well over 35 years, mostly for medical reasons after 1987. I did this until Christ healed me. Then, I no longer needed the drug to curb the pain.

Yeah! but your still batty... He healed ya good huh! LOL

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,912 posts

Ask a pharmacist. Medical marijuana exists in the form of marinol, a pill that takes marijuana into standardized form as a pain medication. It is rarely used because folks do not like it. It does not work as well as other pain meds and they do not get high from it.

Medical marijuana laws were written to start the process of legalizing it for recreational use. No other medicine is permitted to be sold in unstandardized form by someone not a medical practioner. Since it is not standardized in potency, one can have varied effects from it. Which is not how real medicine is practiced in this country.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,912 posts

The King James Bible translators translated “pharmakia” as “witchcraft”, because witches and sorcerers used drugs most commonly in pagan worship to hallucinate and to try to get in touch with evil spirits.

I sure hope you are not implying that doctors and medical folks are witches because they prescribe or dispense legal drugs to people.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,934 posts

I was looking at it from this angle: It's not wrong for Christians to drink alcohol as long as they don't get drunk, so would smoking marijuana in moderation also be okay?

If you have to ask, then it's not faith. If it's not faith, then it's sin.

Since when is asking a question a lack of faith?

What if she was asking the question to open a dialogue about it because others were asking her and she desired input?

You should not be so quick to judge the motives of one's heart like this.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,878 posts
Maybe it's just that time of year. A few reminders. This may sound familiar. Abuse of other posters is not allowed. Debate the subject not the person and more importantly respect each other in the love of God. It is possible to disagree on a subject/doctrine without insulting/attacking the person with whom you are debating.

God bless,
GE

From the WCF ToS
Abuse of other posters is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, name calling, insulting, harassing, threatening or in any way invading the privacy of another poster.

Debate the subject, not the person. It is possible to disagree about a doctrine or subject under discussion without insulting the person with whom you are debating. Also remember that the fact that a person disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you as a person. Respect each other in the love of God! This is the main reason that threads get stopped, shut down, and even deleted! Users that cannot respect others will be banned. (Lev. 19:18)

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

By the way, I don't do either. I'm simply curious of the types of answers this subject would receive.

Looks like you got some interesting answers. :laugh:

I spent a good part of my life in the drug scene before finding Christ. That's why I answered the way I did. Jesus cured my addictions and I have no desire or use for those substances any more. I'm glad of the freedom from that bondage.

Alcohol can be consumed in moderation, and a person need not get drunk. Marijuana is different. There's no reason to smoke the stuff if you're not going to get high. There is a huge difference. Marijuana can still be a gateway to other drugs even if its legal in some areas now.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts

Maybe it's just that time of year.

Nummm......I thought that was New Year's? Let's finish the chocolates and candy canes first....

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,753 posts

Yeah! but your still batty... He healed ya good huh! LOL

You're just jealous! :whistling:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network