christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Computer question

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
Is PCMatic.com considered a safe program?

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
from what Im seeing, it looks like a legitimate program. How well it works however, is anyones guess.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,621 posts
What are you trying to do or fix?

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
i have a question i wanted to get windows 8 but was told due to my Processor being old i have to up grade to run windows 8 i got a new hard disk 500 gig and a brand knew 18 inch monitor was using Xp since 2000 i got windows 7 installed instead I am having to save for a brand knew Processor $419 Aud

has any one had any problems with windows 8 as i have the disk i brought will be buying a new processor in Feb 2013 the processor i have is still brand knew i got it in 2004 what puzzled me is how i could not just install windows 8 once i got the hard disk which is what i wanted to do in the first place the place i took my processor to get serviced the guy who installed the hard disk and windows 7 said people are still using windows 7 i payed 128 Aud for windows 8 and was charged 129 for windows 7

with the monitor i have know do i need to get the soft ware as its all touch screen but was told i can still use a mouse on windows 8

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
your post is a little hard to follow damo, but assuming your computer can support windows 8, you should be able to just load it on the hard drive. windows 8 does have mouse support, and last I checked touchscreen support as well, though you may need to go to the touch screen manufacturers website and download it.

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

your post is a little hard to follow damo, but assuming your computer can support windows 8, you should be able to just load it on the hard drive. windows 8 does have mouse support, and last I checked touchscreen support as well, though you may need to go to the touch screen manufacturers website and download it.

thank you patriot

what i wanted was to install windows 8 after getting the new hard disk as my one when i got the processor was only 20 gig could not believe how much memory is needed i wanted to do this my self but had problems and took it to an expert had also a lot off dust which i got rid off

playing with windows 7 right know just getting use to using windows 7

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
nothing wrong with windows 7, I dont see me upgrading to 8 any time soon. Operating systems these days are taking up more and more hard drive space, thats just the name of the game. The propblem is, Im guessing since you said your PC had XP and only a 20 gig hard drive, that its an older PC. Im surprised you found a working CPU that was capable of running 7, not alone 8, and it wouldnt surprise me if there wasnt more factors that would bottleneck your system-such as ram, and video. How is 7 running? is it smooth, or is it choppy?

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,621 posts

thank you patriot

what i wanted was to install windows 8 after getting the new hard disk as my one when i got the processor was only 20 gig could not believe how much memory is needed i wanted to do this my self but had problems and took it to an expert had also a lot off dust which i got rid off

The size of the hard drive has little to do with windows 8. All you need is 16 GB free for 32 bit and 20 GB free for 64 bit. The hard drive you have (500 GB) is more than enough. RAM is also different from the size of your hard drive. RAM is Random Access Memory and comes in "sticks" that looks like:

Posted Image

You only need 1 GB of RAM to run Windows 8, but I suggest at least 4 GB.

Your processor speed, or CPU speed is critical, and on older motherboards, they cannot be changed to the newer type CPU's The CPU speed needs to be at least 1GHz, but I recommend at least 2.4 GHz. Microsoft will tell you the very minimum that the OS can run on, but on those systems, it would be like a slug crawling uphill on molasses. In other words, turtle slow. Check around and you will find new systems for the price of upgrading your present one. You can still use your monitor, but the monitor you have more than likely is not a touch screen one.

My suggestion is to stick with Windows 7 for a year or so and let Microsoft deal with the bugs that come from a new released OS.

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

nothing wrong with windows 7, I dont see me upgrading to 8 any time soon. Operating systems these days are taking up more and more hard drive space, thats just the name of the game. The propblem is, Im guessing since you said your PC had XP and only a 20 gig hard drive, that its an older PC. Im surprised you found a working CPU that was capable of running 7, not alone 8, and it wouldnt surprise me if there wasnt more factors that would bottleneck your system-such as ram, and video. How is 7 running? is it smooth, or is it choppy?

hi patriot2012

yes the Pc is an older pc windows 7 is running real smooth it did not cost me much to get the parts i needed just had to get rid off the dust that was building up something i am know going to have to keep on top off

i am going to stick to windows 7 for a while as i have the disk to windows 8 stored away the CPU was replaced with new ram as well

i had gotten so use to using Xp it was time to up grade my Pc is running good to it was starting to run real slow window cleaner does its job since i installed windows 7 my monitor is a philips i had an old COMPAQ monitor

had to get the cables for the new hard disk which cost me $99 aud

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

thank you patriot

The size of the hard drive has little to do with windows 8. All you need is 16 GB free for 32 bit and 20 GB free for 64 bit. The hard drive you have (500 GB) is more than enough. RAM is also different from the size of your hard drive. RAM is Random Access Memory and comes in "sticks" that looks like:

Posted Image

You only need 1 GB of RAM to run Windows 8, but I suggest at least 4 GB.

Your processor speed, or CPU speed is critical, and on older motherboards, they cannot be changed to the newer type CPU's The CPU speed needs to be at least 1GHz, but I recommend at least 2.4 GHz. Microsoft will tell you the very minimum that the OS can run on, but on those systems, it would be like a slug crawling uphill on molasses. In other words, turtle slow. Check around and you will find new systems for the price of upgrading your present one. You can still use your monitor, but the monitor you have more than likely is not a touch screen one.

My suggestion is to stick with Windows 7 for a year or so and let Microsoft deal with the bugs that come from a new released OS.

hi brother

thanks for the advice i had to get a new ram as my ram was not going to run windows 7 i am going to do that feels so diffrent having windows 7 with new monitor which is a philips their is only so much i can do my self i had to go to an expert as it was getting to me to what i was doing wrong

it only cost me 45 aud to have the stuff installed and my processor serviced due to me knowing the guy he charges 70 aud which is not bad i will be getting a new processor in 2013 putting money away

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

What are you trying to do or fix?

Something that I may not be able to!!! : )

I have good protection but my unit is running slow. I am still on dial-up and I know that is a part of the
problem, but I feel there is something more. I do not need to defrag and I use C Cleaner, so I do not know
what else I can do. I had hoped that pcmatic might point out something I am not aware of.

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,693 posts
Posting this because I know that Ladypeartree being Welsh is too embarrassed to ask.
I; being that sort of chap that tries to help out a fellow Brit just had to ask. ;)

Can she download windows eight on to her computer :noidea:

Posted Image

She did an upgrade a few years ago from this ,,
Posted Image

ladypeartree

ladypeartree

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,585 posts
why fix things that are not broken >?????? :biggrinflip: :biggrinflip: :biggrinflip:

and that keyboard was much easier to use than the one I have now... with the raised keys you get a lot less typiossos

and how do I get photos on here ???? :fryingpan:

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
I think, personally, if you have to upgrade the ram, the hard drive, and the CPU to run something that its time for a whole new computer, especially if your paying someone else to do it-by the time you get done paying for parts and labor you could probably get a low end desk top or laptop, that will blow away the upgraded original-for the same amount of money.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,621 posts

why fix things that are not broken >?????? :biggrinflip: :biggrinflip: :biggrinflip:

and that keyboard was much easier to use than the one I have now... with the raised keys you get a lot less typiossos

and how do I get photos on here ???? :fryingpan:

I will tell you if you promise to put that frying pan away and never use it again on anyone ... :thumbsup:

ladypeartree

ladypeartree

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,585 posts
:confused: noooo that is much too high a price to pay

B3L13v3R

B3L13v3R

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Hi joi,

Quote joi: " I do not need to defrag and I use C Cleaner, so I do not know
what else I can do. I had hoped that pcmatic might point out something I am not aware of.
"
I checked a few review sites on PCmatic, a mix of both good and bad from what I read out there. I myself have not used it.

I am currently using the 2011 CCleaner version.

On CCleaner, have you also used it's "Registry" cleaner that it comes bundled with?

-If not, run it's "Registry" cleaner as well. Basic step by step here:
-After clicking on the "Registry" block, bottom left button that says "Scan for Issues."
-Upon running it may (or may not) come up with multiple problems that will be in a list.
-If it does find problems, click "Fix selected Issues"
-It will then ask, "Do you want to backup changes to the registry? I ALWAYS click "Yes"
-The saved file name will always have in part, the date action completed, and ask where you wish it saved. Default is "My Documents".
-That way "if" there are any problems after running it , you can put back the registry "problems."
-It will then address the "issues"
-I generally will click on "Fix All Selected Issues"
-It will now read "Issue Fixed" Close the box.

Again, if there are unusual computer problems after completing this function, you may always put back all of the registry "issues" from your back up.
I have only had to do this twice in the years I have used it.

damo1 In passing, I'm with the_patriot2012 & Onelight, really no need to upgrade from your current Win 7. Especially with an older machine, that can get expensive.
Along with the old XP, Win7 has been two of Windows most stable operating systems.
Windows 8 has been working out a number of its bugs.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,014 posts

Posting this because I know that Ladypeartree being Welsh is too embarrassed to ask.
I; being that sort of chap that tries to help out a fellow Brit just had to ask. ;)

Can she download windows eight on to her computer :noidea:

Posted Image

She did an upgrade a few years ago from this ,,
Posted Image

:24: :24: :24:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network