christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who is the Holy Spirit?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

robinsonalexandria21

robinsonalexandria21
  • Nonbeliever
  • 10 posts
The holy spirit is not a person its god's active force. Acts 2:2-And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.Acts 2:3-. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. Acts 2:4-And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Eze. 11:5-And the Spirit of the LORD fell upon me, and said unto me, Speak; Thus saith the LORD; Thus have ye said, O house of Israel: for I know the things that come into your mind, every one of them.
The holy spirit is used in creation. Gen 1:2-And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,369 posts
The Holy Spirit is a person of God. Forces cannot be grieved. The Holy Spirit can. Ephesians 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed until the day of redemption. Forces cannot give gifts. The Holy Spirit can. 1 Corinthians 12:11 But the one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing separately to each one as He desires.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,369 posts
Are you a Jehovah's Witness?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,082 posts
For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him. 2 Corinthians 11:2-4

~

The holy spirit is not a person its god's active force. Acts 2:2-And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.Acts 2:3-. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. Acts 2:4-And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Eze. 11:5-And the Spirit of the LORD fell upon me, and said unto me, Speak; Thus saith the LORD; Thus have ye said, O house of Israel: for I know the things that come into your mind, every one of them.
The holy spirit is used in creation. Gen 1:2-And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

God

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26

God

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. John 16:7

God

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:30

God

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Galatians 4:6

~

Dear One Will You Not Believe?

When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. John 19:30

Or Will You Reject His Holy Blood?

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell; And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
Colossians 1:16-20

And Continue To Trust In Your Works?

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: Colossians 1:21-22

~

Believe

Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
FresnoJoe, the verses you have referenced are indeed true conviction, but I also find them so merciful and beautiful in the context they are presented. Isn't God's Word amazing? Isn't He amazing? We should all take note. He who has ears, let him hear. Thank you Holy Spirit.

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,070 posts
The Holy Spirit will abide within us for ever! I shall never be again without God in me! That is really
more awesome than I am able to fathom... but it's neat having the Boundless One ever stretching
me into greater truth and exploration of love yet unlearned! 'The Spirit of Christ' as I like that name
He carries most! Love, Steven

Hansc

Hansc
  • Members
  • 75 posts
John 5:19
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father do: for what things soever He doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Concerning the women with the issue of blood, Jesus ministered as an anointed man. The women touched Him and that anointing flowed out of Him. The Holy Spirit, HE realized what the women was doing and HE honored her faith. It is the Spirit that manifests as HE will.

Jesus didn't minister the same way all the time. He followed the lead of the anointing that was upon Him.

Some groups try and present the Holy Spirit as being merely a type of divine energy, however, note how the Scriptures presents HIM.

John 16:13-15
Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of himself but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Here Jesus, very plainly speaks of the Holy Spirit not as an "it" but rather as a personality, a divine personality, and not mere energy.

Acts 13:2-4
the Holy Ghost said Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost

Here again we see, the Holy Ghost acting, speaking, and sending. These are the acts of a personality.

Acts 21:11
Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Mere energy never acted this way. Now the Holy Ghost has always been and has not changed in any way. This is the same Spirit as has always been. Notice how this next Scripture reads.

Acts 28:25-27
Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

The "I" in this case is the Holy Ghost. He is God, and He doesn't change. Yes, He's light and yes, He's spirit, but most important, He is a personality.

We've all heard of the expression a "personal relationship with Jesus", well think about it. No man on earth has seen the resurrected Lord in His physical form, and we also haven’t seen the Father, the only "personal God ' we have experienced is the Holy Ghost.

When we say that Jesus lives in us, we are right, He lives in us in the person of the Holy Ghost. That being so, if the Holy Ghost were not a person, then we couldn't have a personal relationship with Christ, which I know we do. Therefore, the Holy Ghost has to be a person.

What puzzles me is this, how can a person spend any amount of time with the Holy Ghost and not realize that HE is a HE and not an IT.

Edited by Hansc, 18 December 2012 - 03:29 AM.

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
Great post, Hansc! :thumbsup:

redroses42

redroses42

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
the Holy Spirit is the third person of the trinity

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,685 posts
You are confused, my friend. The Holy Spirit IS a person of the Trinity, as shown in John 14:26

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Please notice how Jesus used the pronoun "He" to describe the Holy Spirit.

NeedYouLord

NeedYouLord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
He grieves...He isn't a "what"...He is a Whom...

Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

He is Amazing!!!

God-The Father
God-The Son
God-The Holy Spirit...Whew!!!

Oh Father God, I Pray...Lead and Guide Your Children Into All Truth...In The Name of Jesus...

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts
Welcome to Worthy. This is the welcome section and we save discussions of these types for the main board after you have established yourself with 5 posts. Have a great day and welcome aboard the board!

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,685 posts
I have moved this thread. Te OP can still post in it.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

The holy spirit is not a person its god's active force.

ummmm...isn't the term 'active force' ascribed to the JW teaching concerning the Holy Spirit? If I'm not mistaken, I think
it is..............

whoops...just read back and noticed someone already stated that.....

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts
What is the Holy Spirit?

The most amazing thing that I have ever experienced in my whole entire life and probably ever will in all of eternity except it be a new body absent of sin but filled with the Holy Spirit. All I can say is more, more, more. God is addicting.

Now, you can go about the scriptures and argue back and forth, for and against the Holy Spirit being God's 'active force' or the third person of the trinity or whatever else you would like to argue/debate about but what I do know about the Holy Spirit is that which is important to know.

He quickens my mortal flesh so that I can mortify my members and have dominion over sin within my body. He shows me of things to come. He leads and guides me into all truth. He prays for me and through me. He reproves the world of sin, of righteousness and of judgement, sometimes using my mouth to do so as he did Peter and Steven. And much much more! So while others like to sit around and debate about who/what the Holy Spirit is, I personally prefer to fellowship with and enjoy Him. He is not much of a debater.

NeedYouLord

NeedYouLord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Oh this is so good...Gary was writing at the same time I was...Hahaha...

Has anybody ever experienced something before you actually knew what it was or what it all entailed? It's like God takes us the second we cry out to Him and because we have lived for the world so long...we don't know how this new creation or new life works...That was and still is me...although I've come to know some things that I've gone through...even found some things in the Bible and then understood...Had to do alot of things by faith too...My goodness...God is so good...

The way I even became interested in the things of God was listening to a Preacher...Faith comes by hearing...You know we need a Preacher to listen to...Romans 10:14

Well I've experienced 2 Baptisms...One with water...and one with The Holy Spirit...I started doing a study and never finished...but I'll give what I've found so far...which isn't a whole lot...but God's Word is sharper than a two edged sword...

(New King James Version)

John 1:33 "I did not know Him, but He who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'Upon whom you see the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him, this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.'"And I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God."

Acts 1:4-5 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which", He said, "you have heard from Me: "for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

Acts 1:8 "But you shall recieve power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."

These things are still true today...Some don't believe...I do and have experienced wonderful things that God wants to do through a willing vessel...

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,216 posts
I have split this topic: Split... "Who is the Holy Spirit?"-Baptistm and Holy Spirit.

It can be found here: http://www.worthychr...nd-holy-spirit/

God bless,
GE

Bible_Gazer

Bible_Gazer

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
who is the holy spirit ?

Well who are the seven spirits before the throne of God in Rev.

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain,
having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
Rev 5:6 (KJV)

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
do you think that is referencing seven different spirits? if so, what other scripture passages can you use for comparison
and, if you find some, are they really referencing 7 diff spirits?

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,070 posts

who is the holy spirit ?

Well who are the seven spirits before the throne of God in Rev.

6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain,
having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
Rev 5:6 (KJV)

The Word teaches us here
Isa 11:1-3
11 There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse,
And a Branch shall grow out of his roots.
2 The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and might,
The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.

3 His delight is in the fear of the Lord,
And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes,
Nor decide by the hearing of His ears;
NKJV

1. The Spirit of Christ vs.1 - God The Holy Spirit A Person vs. 3
....equaled in the Alpha and Omega the First and the Last as the third member of The Trinity
2.The Spirit of wisdom
3.The Spirit of understanding
4.The Spirit of council
5.The Spirit of might
6.The Spirit of knowledge
7.The Spirit of the fear of the Lord
Mk 16:15
15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
NKJV

They were to wait for Spirit which would accompany them (Indwelling) into all the world
Lk 24:46-49
46 Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to
suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of
sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you
are witnesses of these things. 49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but
tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high."
NKJV

received and gone out into all the world in His children the seven Spirits of God
Acts 2
Thus to be filled with the Holy Spirit would be to be endowed with Him in fullness these traits!
Love, Steven

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network