christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Obesity is now killing triple the number of people who die from malnutrition as it claims more than three million lives a year worldwide, according to a landmark study.

http://www.telegraph...lnutrition.html

63 per cent of Aussies overweight or obese

http://www.abc.net.a...r-obese/4339044

It seems we are living high on the tooth in these times.

thomas t

thomas t

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
Hello Ninhao,
appetite is not the problem.
Problems are, in my opinion:

- white (well in so many countries it's just the only type of bread you can get in the supermarkets) bread instead of whole grain cereals. I mean whole grain cereals without sugar, of course. White bread is liable of making you very hungry beacuse it causes insulin in you to rise real quick.. and it has too much (net) calories itself.
- meat more than twice a week, which is also bad for climate, rain forests and water, btw..
- sugar (there is also a difference between white and raw sugar)
- vitamin pills instead of fresh fruit and vegetables. Many people at this point come up by telling me "fruit also contains sugar, Thomas!". Yeah, that's right. However, the sugar inside the fruit comes in other forms which are healthy. The raffined sugar added to nutritive products acts totally differently to our body.
- too little sports

I'm just recalling a friend of mine who pondered over the question "is white salad better than the green ones?". Salad made up for less that 1% of what she ate. I mean that's the wrong question.

Have a good day
Thomas

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts
problem isnt even the white bread, or any of the food we eat. its a society of people who want what tastes good, and feels good, and dont want to work. People dont understand taking care of oneself-nothing wrong with refined sugar or white bread, as long as one doesnt overdo it. Most people would rather sit around and eat junk food and watch football or play video games all day-what one needs is a balanced diet with proper excercise, something most people dont want.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
We in our society do eat far too much.

Seriously, if you were to measure the volume of your stomach at rest and then measure the volume of the food you eat at one meal . . . what would you find?

Leonard

Leonard

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
Now you've gone from preaching to MEDDLING!!!

AlexanderJ

AlexanderJ

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Seriously? :hmmm:

bornagain2011

bornagain2011

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
Obesity is an outward indication of an inward situation.

I think it is a spiritual issue. We are born with a void in our hearts that can only be filled by God, some fill it with drugs and some with food. So food becomes an idol in one's life. And as we know, gluttony is one of the deadly sins.

Through prayer and fasting I have been learning to deal with this idol.

Shalom,

Natalie

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

Hey, it's not my fault you got your feet there where I'm stomping. :P

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,636 posts
It is easy to lump all obese people into the judgment of gluttony, but there are also many medical conditions that cause folks to be more obese than others. Dont assume someone is fat because they are pigs.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

We in our society do eat far too much.

Seriously, if you were to measure the volume of your stomach at rest and then measure the volume of the food you eat at one meal . . . what would you find?

Still room for dessert :D

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
I like the see food diet eat as much as i want on that particular day i also am very fit i do a lot off walking when i finish my shift i walk home as its cooler in the evening than during the day half an hour walk .my son he never has that problem he eats and eats and never puts on weight

Leonard

Leonard

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
Of all my sins, I DO like gluttony the best.........

AlexanderJ

AlexanderJ

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Of all my sins, I DO like gluttony the best.........

Eeesh... :madgrin:

AlexanderJ

AlexanderJ

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I don't think that gluttony is always about the volume of food that one eats. Any obsession with food is unhealthy. Just because you don't eat like a pig doesn't necessarily mean that you are not gluttonous. Being overly picky and obsessive about the foods we eat and not being content with what God has provided for us is, in my opinion, a form of gluttony.

P.S. (C.S. Lewis refers to this sort of Gluttony as the "Gluttony of Delicacy" in his book The Screwtape Letters)

Edited by AlexanderJ, 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

It is easy to lump all obese people into the judgment of gluttony, but there are also many medical conditions that cause folks to be more obese than others. Dont assume someone is fat because they are pigs.

certainly, Im not saying theres not, but I would suspect the percentage of people who have a valid reason for it is far lower then those who don't

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,705 posts
One problem in our culture is that food/eating has become a form of recreation and is the primary form of social interaction.

Not only that but we are inundated with very high sugar foods, even in food we don't associate with sugar. Canned veggies are loaded with it. Look at the sugar content of many of our coffee-related drinks like lattes and cappuchinos. I love that stuff and always ask for no whipped creme. I have read that we ingest 1/3 of our daily caloric intake by what we drink, on average. In theory, people would lose weight if they could switch to water and forgo sugary drinks in addition to walking three times a week.

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
In my partners country its a bit diffrent they do not have what we have in our supper markets that is what i noticed when i went shopping it took a while for me to get use to eating the food my partner likes

fish every day with rice in the evening its pork or chicken mangoes and the fruit that you can buy at the market we have a friend who is good at climbing he would always get me the ripe mangoes as my partner and mother in law and daughter like eating the green mangoes

the water i drink when i am with my partner is fresh mountain water we do have a fridge but we do not stock up as their are burn outs nearly every third day so you buy what your going to eat for that particular day

my whole diet has changed from fatty food to food that is more healthy

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests
Exercise Labels May Be More Effective Than Nutrition Labels

Calories in, calories out — it's not so much that it's confusing, but that it can be hard to keep track of it all. What if, instead, nutritional labels did all the work for you, by including the amount of exercise it would take to burn off all those calories in the food?
Posted Image
A new study found that when teenagers were shown just how many minutes of exercise it takes to burn off a can of soda, the number of people who reached for the sodas fell by 50 percent. In fact, the teens were less likely to buy the sodas if they were shown a sign saying that it would take 50 minutes of exercise to burn one can of soda off than if they were shown a sign that told them that the sodas were each 250 calories.
Thinking in terms of your workout can be an effective way of practicing healthy eating. After all, if you know how much sweat and energy it takes to burn 300 calories, you may be less likely to mindlessly reach for the office candy jar while you work.
Does calculating calories in terms of how much you exercise work for you?

Source: Thinkstock

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,705 posts
Eating healthier might also resolve a lot of health issues we have today. I wonder how many ilnesses might disappear if people ate healthier. Sometimes, it isn't how much you eat, but what you eat and how you fix it.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Eating healthier might also resolve a lot of health issues we have today. I wonder how many ilnesses might disappear if people ate healthier. Sometimes, it isn't how much you eat, but what you eat and how you fix it.

Very true !

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network