christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

An opinion on gun control

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
An opinion on gun control
Posted on December 20, 2012 by correia45

http://larrycorreia....on-gun-control/

~~~

It's a long read, but informative.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
Well said, and worth the read. I wish more people would, its sound thinking by someone whos very well educated on the subject-I agree with the author, most people who are anti-gun, dont know anything about guns, either because theyve never been around them or are willingly ignorant, and make their minds up based on emotion, and not facts.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,653 posts

Well said, and worth the read. I wish more people would, its sound thinking by someone whos very well educated on the subject-I agree with the author, most people who are anti-gun, dont know anything about guns, either because theyve never been around them or are willingly ignorant, and make their minds up based on emotion, and not facts.

Makes Me Wonder If They Are Against The Guns And Gunners Who Protect President Obama And Family?

goldust59

goldust59

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Excellent article!

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Makes Me Wonder If They Are Against The Guns And Gunners Who Protect President Obama And Family?

thats the thing, its really hypocritical, Obama KNOWS that guns keep him safe, yet he wants to deny us the ability to do so. If he meant what he said about guns being evil-he would send the secret service away.

B3L13v3R

B3L13v3R

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Good article from a thoroughly qualified individual.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,653 posts

that's the thing, its really hypocritical, Obama KNOWS that guns keep him safe, yet he wants to deny us the ability to do so. If he meant what he said about guns being evil-he would send the secret service away.

:thumbsup:

POTUS Made Many Fundamental Errors

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. Proverbs 16:18-19

Especially About The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob

The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. Acts 3:13

But Failing To Protect His Family With Snipers And Such Is One Mistake This Man Has Not Made....

HAZARD

HAZARD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
Very well written and informative.

He wrote,

"I’ve got a Remington 870 with approximately 160,000 rounds through it."

I owned a Remington 870 which I used for the eradication ferel pigs in thick scrub on a family property. I had to hand it in during the John Howard five hundred million dollar gun-steal back as it was considered by him and the then police comissioners as too dangerous a firearm for the average joe to own. I think they must have been watching to many terminator movies at the time to come to that conclusion.

With the compensation I recieved I was able to legally buy and own a ten shot Winchester short barrel 44 magnum lever action rifle which I used for the same purpose. Try and figure that one out? Which firearm packs the deadliest wallop if the intention for use was criminal???

Before the firearms ban-steal back downunder, armed home invasions, drive by shootings, armed car-nappings, armed robberies were unheard of. Now all thesearmed crimes are an every day occurence and all we get from the media the anti-everything groups and some government officials is a call for tougher gun control. We currently have the toughest firearms laws in the western world.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Before the firearms ban-steal back downunder, armed home invasions, drive by shootings, armed car-nappings, armed robberies were unheard of. Now all thesearmed crimes are an every day occurence and all we get from the media the anti-everything groups and some government officials is a call for tougher gun control. We currently have the toughest firearms laws in the western world.

Hello Hazard,

I also live in Australia and have not witnessed this change. Armed crimes aren't an every day occurrence in Australia. :D Also we have had incidence of all of these crimes prior to 1997. This is unusual we have this different observation.

There has been a spike in shootings in NSW mostly involving amphetamine dealers recently it seems.

Could you please supply the data and source concerning home invasions, drive by shootings, etc. before and after 1997 ?

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
nin, hazards partly right. In many areas, those things are back. they really are. The media tries to cover it up, but they are growing. Now, you might not notice it-but I suspect you live in an area that never had a high violent crime rate to begin with. The media there, is just as slanted as in the US. Everyday, there are shootings and crimes that are stopped by people with guns, yet that NEVER makes the news, not unless theres someway to make the gun owner look bad-like he accidently shot a kid. In many areas of australia, violent crime has shot up from a lot of the statistics Im seeing (except the governments of course, theyll never admit the gun ban was bad) this all goes back to, Ive met a lot of australians who think they live in this nice little utopia, because they don't have guns. Theres Americans, who think every thing is a conspiracy, which is also not true, both are fantasy worlds. Just because no one in your neighborhood has been shot up, doesnt mean that taking away the guns is the reason for it-I hate to break it to you, but statistically, in the US, your more likely to die from a doctors mistake, then a gun. theres not THAT many school shootings, and theyre actually on the decline, but thats not what the media and the liberals want you to know-they want you under the impression that "guns are evil" and every time they see something that helps their cause, they blow it all out of proportion, and blame the gun trying to elicit an emotional response. It worked in australia, it worked in the UK. gun violence in the UK, especially ireland, HAS shot up. The only reason Australia hasnt shot that high is due to the fact that politically, it is far more stable then the UK or America-I will give them that. But to say that its "safer without guns" isnt a true statment-some stats show its not, some stats show little to no difference-but I have yet to see any non-government released stats that show that the gun ban has helped.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

nin, hazards partly right. In many areas, those things are back. they really are. The media tries to cover it up, but they are growing. Now, you might not notice it-but I suspect you live in an area that never had a high violent crime rate to begin with. The media there, is just as slanted as in the US. Everyday, there are shootings and crimes that are stopped by people with guns, yet that NEVER makes the news, not unless theres someway to make the gun owner look bad-like he accidently shot a kid. In many areas of australia, violent crime has shot up from a lot of the statistics Im seeing (except the governments of course, theyll never admit the gun ban was bad) this all goes back to, Ive met a lot of australians who think they live in this nice little utopia, because they don't have guns. Theres Americans, who think every thing is a conspiracy, which is also not true, both are fantasy worlds. Just because no one in your neighborhood has been shot up, doesnt mean that taking away the guns is the reason for it-I hate to break it to you, but statistically, in the US, your more likely to die from a doctors mistake, then a gun. theres not THAT many school shootings, and theyre actually on the decline, but thats not what the media and the liberals want you to know-they want you under the impression that "guns are evil" and every time they see something that helps their cause, they blow it all out of proportion, and blame the gun trying to elicit an emotional response. It worked in australia, it worked in the UK. gun violence in the UK, especially ireland, HAS shot up. The only reason Australia hasnt shot that high is due to the fact that politically, it is far more stable then the UK or America-I will give them that. But to say that its "safer without guns" isnt a true statment-some stats show its not, some stats show little to no difference-but I have yet to see any non-government released stats that show that the gun ban has helped.

Hello Patriot,

I have lived both in an area of high crime (relatively speaking in Australia) and in an area of low crime. I have been involved with members of both State and Federal Australian police who I think you will agree are not politically motivated. I am not sure how you can know the situation here.

I only ask if someone makes a claim of increased crime because of tighter gun laws that they have more than hearsay as support.

At this stage since the increased gun laws in Australia in 1997 the only independent study which I believe is reliable indicated the gun buy back did nothing significant.

But these changes have done nothing to reduce gun-related deaths, according to Samara McPhedran, a University of Sydney academic and coauthor of a soon-to-be-published paper that reviews a selection of previous studies on the effects of the 1996 legislation. The conclusions of these studies were "all over the place," says McPhedran. But by pulling back and looking purely at the statistics, the answer "is there in black and white," she says. "The hypothesis that the removal of a large number of firearms owned by civilians [would lead to fewer gun-related deaths] is not borne out by the evidence."
Firearm homicides in Australia were declining before 1996 and the decline has simply continued at the same rate since, McPhedran says. (In 2002-3, Australia's rate of 0.27 gun-related homicides per 100,000 people was one-fifteenth that of the U.S. rate.) Of course, it's possible there might have been a spike in firearm homicides — and one or more Port Arthur-style events — if not for the gun law reforms. "It's very easy to raise what-ifs," McPhedran counters. "The what-ifs are interesting as discussion points. But, ultimately, for policy making, we have to deal with what is."

Full free text of this study can be found here. http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/40534/

This independent reviewer of some repute has indicated the gun buy back did nothing significant.

If there is a claim that the gun buy back in Australia actually increased crime I would like to see the data because from my personal experience and from contact with Australian police this is not true. I am a person who will not be swayed by biased media or people as I think you may be similar. You have indicated that the 1997 gun law increase in Australia has not done anything and at this point I agree. This of course does not mean in Australia it was a bad thing.

Patriot I think we have very little that we can compare between Australia and America concerning guns. We are very different cultures regarding this and maybe should not attempt to generalise between us.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
a little outdated, but here http://www.ncpa.org/...rticle_ID=17847 Seems fairly legitimate. . .this one looks like it might be from a C/T site, so Im not sure how legitimate it is, http://www.freerepub...s/2225517/posts the fact is theres enough controversy over it, that at best case scenario, it is fairly easy to assume that banning firearms made no difference in your crime rate, worse case scenario, its backfiring on you. And even if right now, its relatively peaceful, thats no evidence of what the future may hold.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

a little outdated, but here http://www.ncpa.org/...rticle_ID=17847 Seems fairly legitimate. . .this one looks like it might be from a C/T site, so Im not sure how legitimate it is, http://www.freerepub...s/2225517/posts the fact is theres enough controversy over it, that at best case scenario, it is fairly easy to assume that banning firearms made no difference in your crime rate, worse case scenario, its backfiring on you. And even if right now, its relatively peaceful, thats no evidence of what the future may hold.

I must disagree patriot.

Best case scenario is that the gun buy back actually helped. :D

As I have said the scenario that the gun buy back has backfired ( nice analogy ) is not supported by the evidence or my experience.

The future will become worse until Jesus returns as we both know.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
well according to the ncpa, its not getting better. by the logic things will only get worse till Jesus returns, is a true statement-and that alone, is evidence that at best case scenario, it made no difference. Just sayin. :D

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests
The emotion plea is noted :D

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
and technically, you are right things will get worse till Jesus comes-with or without the gun ban, to be technical.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
The White House has been petitioned to deport Piers Morgan, as he is not an American Citizen and is using his notoriety to undermine our rights.

http://articles.chic...morgan-petition

I actually agree with this. He shouldn't be allowed to subvert our laws.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
We are all falling into the trappings of this debate. Gun control has nothing to do with crime, or trying to prevent it. And everything to do with disarming citizens, so the government can become more tyrannical without fear of armed rebellion.

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
THE NATION

this is just from april 2012

Measures to curb gun violence as shootings multiply

NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell has left the door open to mandatory sentencing laws for gun crimes, as the government faces escalating gun violence on Sydney streets.
Mr O'Farrell yesterday told 2GB's Ray Hadley he was "open to all options" concerning mandatory sentencing, and again pledged that police would have the "resources and the powers they need" to fight the city's spiralling gun violence.
Mr O'Farrell said authorities had been working hard to curb gun crime, after police yesterday arrested two Hells Angels bikies following a shooting in Sydney's west on Monday, but conceded harsher penalties were needed to deter criminals.
"I don't think any of us, whether police or government, will be happy until we see a turn in the events," he said. "What I want to do is ensure that police not only have the resources and the powers they need, but that when these characters come before the courts they're dealt with severely.

"But I have to say police are making progress and I think today's arrests just demonstrate that, with support, they can get on with the job."
He said he would continue to take advice from police about what powers were needed.
Yesterday, Queensland Premier Campbell Newman said he would be working to strengthen gun laws and toughen penalties for organised crime, just hours after a Gold Coast tattoo parlour was sprayed with gunfire.
Mr Newman said the government was prepared to look at legislation recently introduced in NSW preventing bikie gangs from owning tattoo parlours and wearing their colours in licensed venues.
Tony Abbott yesterday urged premiers to adopt a zero-tolerance approach to gun crime, with automatic stiff penalties for those caught with illegal firearms.
However, a group of protesters outside NSW's Parliament House yesterday demanded the government toughen gun laws for law enforcers, after police shot two Aboriginal teenagers in Kings Cross over the weekend.
Indigenous Social Justice Association president Ray Jackson told a crowd of about 250 people the treatment of one of the pair, 17-year-old Troy Taylor, was "absolutely disgraceful". He said the abuse by police, recorded by a witness on a phone, constituted a criminal act by the officer, who must be "charged and brought to book for what he has done".

Indigenous Social Justice Association president Ray Jackson told a crowd of about 250 people the treatment of one of the pair, 17-year-old Troy Taylor, was "absolutely disgraceful". He said the abuse by police, recorded by a witness on a phone, constituted a criminal act by the officer, who must be "charged and brought to book for what he has done".

Aboriginal Tent Embassy activist Michael Anderson called the incident involving Troy "symptomatic of a bigger problem" involving relations between police and the Aboriginal community.

damo1

damo1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
Major jump in NSW drive-by shootings

Gang-related turf disputes and score-settling are behind a surge in drive-by shootings in Sydney but overall gun crime in NSW has halved since the 1990s.

Firing guns into homes and businesses has jumped by 143.9 per cent over the past 16 years, says a report into long-term gun trends by the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOSCAR).

But the report, released on Monday, said the total number of criminal incidents in NSW involving a gun dropped by 48 per cent between 1995 and 2011.

Labor's police spokesman Nathan Rees says the drive-by shooting figures should be a wake-up call for the government, with total shooting incidents in Sydney this year now at 124.

He said April this year was the worst month for firearms being discharged into premises in the past decade, with 20 incidents recorded.

"Criminals are clearly getting the message that under the O'Farrell government, they can get away with taking the law into their own hands," Mr Rees said in a statement.

He called on the government to reinstate a cancelled intake of 300 police recruits, offer cash rewards for information leading to the arrest of gun-toting criminals and outlaw criminal gangs.

The broader picture of firearm crime is actually better now than it was in 1995," he told AAP.
The number of incidents of robbery involving a firearm dropped by 50.7 per cent between 1995 and 2011.
Dr Weatherburn said it could be argued that armed robberies were a far bigger threat to the public because they were usually inflicted on innocent people.
"Whereas your drive-by shootings tend to be gang-related shootings - no comfort for people who live in those suburbs of course."

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network