christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

An opinion on gun control

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Might I suggest some good reading material for you...... http://www.amazon.co...istics textbook

Thank you Mr Other One. :D

You must be aware of the statistical trap people often run into when attempting to confirm their bias.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests
The problem appears to be Americans, at least several on this site, attempt to use Australian statistics to support their case. The Australian statistics don't do that.
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but when using statistics to support this opinion they need to be carefully reviewed by a very discerning, and data understanding, mind. If the claimant doesn't do this they open themselves to lack of credibility and reduce the validity of their opinion.

Americans surely can stand on their own feet to argue their claim without misrepresenting another country.

Maybe they can't ?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

Might I suggest some good reading material for you...... http://www.amazon.co...istics textbook

You must be aware of the statistical trap people often run into when attempting to confirm their bias.

very much so..... and it bothers me when Senators, Representatives and News People fire up their agenda's when something like this happens in less than 5 minutes from the initial reporting of the incident. Then use sets of numbers that have a myriad of other cause and effects to further the agendas that they have been pushing for years.

They are using the death of 20 kids to push an agenda on the country that in any other time the country would not even consider it (and we haven't in the past years). And that is the second tragedy in this whole thing...... using the death of kids in such a way..... and they will be pushing for something quick before the shock of the thing wears off of the general public.... it's disgraceful.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

very much so..... and it bothers me when Senators, Representatives and News People fire up their agenda's when something like this happens in less than 5 minutes from the initial reporting of the incident. Then use sets of numbers that have a myriad of other cause and effects to further the agendas that they have been pushing for years.

They are using the death of 20 kids to push an agenda on the country that in any other time the country would not even consider it (and we haven't in the past years). And that is the second tragedy in this whole thing...... using the death of kids in such a way..... and they will be pushing for something quick before the shock of the thing wears off of the general public.... it's disgraceful.

Mr Other One,

I understand your complaint. You may also understand mine.

Not hours after the Sandy Hook event American gun activists started posting propaganda concerning Australia's failure in this area.

Similar ?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

Mr Other One,

I understand your complaint. You may also understand mine.

Not hours after the Sandy Hook event American gun activists started posting propaganda concerning Australia's failure in this area.

Similar ?

Well considering my stand on the statistics of the whole thing, I'd have to say that I'd have to look a lot deeper into the Australia history. However I would have to agree that it was pretty quick that some did post pretty quickly about the Australia's failures...

rjp34652

rjp34652

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Well said, and worth the read. I wish more people would, its sound thinking by someone whos very well educated on the subject-I agree with the author, most people who are anti-gun, dont know anything about guns, either because theyve never been around them or are willingly ignorant, and make their minds up based on emotion, and not facts.

The following is a link to FBI statistical results of crime in the USA for the period of 2010. Figures for 2011 are lower and preliminary results for 2012 indicate lower still. However, figures for 2012 are incomplete at this time.

http://www.fbi.gov/a...les/10tbl15.xls

For those who don't have the time to fiddle with the link, here is a basic text version.

Totals 2010 - all agencies reporting
robbery
firearm 128,793
knife/cutting weapon 24,388
other weapon 27,170
strong arm 130,839

aggravated assault
firearm 138,403
knife/cutting weapon 127,857
other weapon 222,892
hands, fists, feet, etc. 185,029

comparison totals

robbery: firearm 128,793 total all other weapon types 182,397
assault: firearm 138,403 total all other weapon types 535,778

As I understand it, from a statistical point of view, there are two basic types of crime - property & personal.
According to the FBI site, definitions of aggravated assault vary from state to state, but for the most part it refers to an attack upon a person as opposed to robbery or theft of an object.

Submitted for your information.

it's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by rjp34652, 17 January 2013 - 09:04 AM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network