christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Boiling Water Turns To Ice Crystals At 42F

Amazing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

LOVE SONGS

LOVE SONGS

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Boiling water thrown out of a window... turns to ice crystals in ... - 42F

Awesome and freaky !

udx

udx

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I really doubt that. It is highly unlikely that that much thermal energy could be removed from boiling water in that short of time.

I do not think the water is boiling, room temperature at best. But it is smoking because it is still a lot warmer than the outside temperature.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts
I dont doubt it, have you ever been anywhere where its -42? I know when I worked the oil field, in ND it hit colder then that with windchill, before windchill it was -20, -30, and I remember some locations wed go onto, thered be ruts full of standing water knee deep full of water-by midnight, those ruts would be frozen solid, all the way down and hard enough that you could drive a 80,000 pound semi over the top without leaving a crack. a water bottle froze in a matter of minutes. another time, I was working loading a pickup on a flat bed, -65 with windchill, our noses started running, and the snot froze instantly on air contact. literally, instantly-and the warm air of our breath did nothing to melt it.

udx

udx

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
That still doesn't explain how the amount of heat from 100 to 0 degree C and heat of transformation could be removed in that short amount of time. I need a mathematical model to be convinced. Water particle surface area and calculation of heat loss in three seconds from 100 to 0 C plus heat of transformation.

Like I said, we do not know for sure what the temperature of the water is. It wasn't bubbling so I can't be sure if it was boiling to begin with.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts
well, throw it out into cold air, and its moving, which creates wind chill . . .and the thing about boiling water is, it stops bubbling almost instantly once you pull it off the heat source. I dont know the mathematical equations, but I have spent a LOT of time in really cold environments that I do indeed believe it.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,637 posts
Russia works in Celsius not Fahrenheit.....

Do the math.....

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
I for one am not a nay-sayer, I've always heard that to make ice cubes quicker you fill the tray with hot water.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Russia works in Celsius not Fahrenheit.....

Do the math.....

good point, -42 C is -43.6 F. now, add 32 degrees to that, adn its actually like 70 degrees below freezing.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

I dont doubt it, have you ever been anywhere where its -42? I know when I worked the oil field, in ND it hit colder then that with windchill, before windchill it was -20, -30, and I remember some locations wed go onto, thered be ruts full of standing water knee deep full of water-by midnight, those ruts would be frozen solid, all the way down and hard enough that you could drive a 80,000 pound semi over the top without leaving a crack. a water bottle froze in a matter of minutes. another time, I was working loading a pickup on a flat bed, -65 with windchill, our noses started running, and the snot froze instantly on air contact. literally, instantly-and the warm air of our breath did nothing to melt it.

you are one tough guy, i can't even imagine living in those conditions - i am allergic to cold and severely allergic to freezing!
sunshine and warmth for me thank you! it's hard enough getting through most british winters, although this yr it doesn't seem so bad... love the vid. you can definitely tell, it's real. :)

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts
oh, its not any fun. theres a reason im not up there anymore. But, one learns to deal with it after awhile.

OldShep

OldShep

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
This is called the Mpemba Effect.....

Leonard

Leonard

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,886 posts
To convert celsius to Farenheit take the Celsius temp times 9/5 and add 32. Like this 100 © times 9 = 900
900/5 = 180 180 + 32 = 212 (F).

Do NOT ask me why I can remember this (which I almost NEVER use), but can't remember the 'address' of Scriptures I use ALL THE TIME!!!

-42C X 9 = -378 -378/5 = -75.6 + 32 = -43.6F

I have pee'd outdoors in -53 farenheit, and can assure you that water at 98.6F, WILL FREEZE before hitting the ground......

I HATE CAMPING IN SNOW!!!!!!

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,023 posts

To convert celsius to Farenheit take the Celsius temp times 9/5 and add 32. Like this 100 © times 9 = 900
900/5 = 180 180 + 32 = 212 (F).

Do NOT ask me why I can remember this (which I almost NEVER use), but can't remember the 'address' of Scriptures I use ALL THE TIME!!!

-42C X 9 = -378 -378/5 = -75.6 + 32 = -43.6F

I have pee'd outdoors in -53 farenheit, and can assure you that water at 98.6F, WILL FREEZE before hitting the ground......

I HATE CAMPING IN SNOW!!!!!!

:24: :24: :24:

Spit: Snap Crackle And Pop~!

sheya joie

sheya joie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts
Another way to do the conversion between C and F is to add 40 at the start and subtract it at the end. This works because at -40 degrees, C and F are the same. So:

77 F + 40 = 117
117/9 = 13
13 x 5 = 65
65 - 40 = 25 C
77 F = 25 C

and

40 C + 40 = 80
80/5 = 16
16 x 9 = 144
144 - 40 = 104 F
40 C = 104 F

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network