christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beware of what is yet to come to deceive...

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Gary:

It is that image that I am speaking of that men change into an idol and worship in their hearts.

So praying to a picture of Jesus, or just kneeling down in front of a picture of Jesus to always pray, may fall into Idolatry since the picture in ones mind may make them feel closer to God in a way, though it be in their mind. Is that what I am reading?

Like holding to the cross around your neck when praying.

My Grandma would have us put on hand on the bible for comfort. A book with pages. That might be a form of Idolatry.

Jesus Is Lord.

I was never given a picture of Jesus. I have no idea what he looks like. My image of God through Jesus is a compilation of written testimonies of his character not his bodily form. I cannot bear witness to what he looked like in bodily form outside of what Isaiah proclaimed. A cross is simply a cross. Does the person holding it think the cross is God? The cross is not God. It is part of the testimony of what Jesus went through for us. The bible is the written word of God. It holds the keys to the understanding when properly illuminated by his Spirit of the express image of his person. Why would you think putting your hand upon it would be idolatry? Are you sincerely confused or seeking to be contrary?

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

An idol is anything you put above God. It could be money, your job, an actor or musician, a way of life ... if it takes the place of God in your heart, it is an idol.

Including this.

Posted Image

I have seen the picture of that guy around a lot but have no idea who he is.

Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him.

1 John 3
2. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

An idol is anything you put above God. It could be money, your job, an actor or musician, a way of life ... if it takes the place of God in your heart, it is an idol.

Including this.

Posted Image

I have seen the picture of that guy around a lot but have no idea who he is.

Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, [there is] no beauty that we should desire him.

1 John 3
2. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

One that has always given me pause is that Judas actually had to betray him with a kiss to identify him. The 1000 men who came with him had no idea what Jesus looked like though he had been going around healing the sick, raising the dead and feeding multitudes out of nothing for 3 1/2 years.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Man:

That's the reason we tiptoe around this area. Peoples feelings might be hurt. Idolatry has been given a free pass because we don't want to hurt anyones feelings.

If I hurt someones feelings, they did not receive or get help. That don't sound very brilliant.

Jesus Is Lord.

I wonder how many of these people had their feelings spared?

Matthew 7
21. “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
23. And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

If you neglect to share the Truth for fear of making someone uncomfortable, your religion is in vain. Hiding the truth is the same as lying.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,616 posts
Oh for goodness sake. A couple of plastic sheep and a donkey made in China with a baby doll (probably also made in china), in a manger made from old popsicle sticks and sprinkled with a few sprigs of grass from the garden do not an idol make.

They may however tell a story to a child. Who most probably won't be emotionally scarred for the rest of their life by it.

The computer you are using right now is probably more of an idol, because too many of us worship at the altar of the laptop, and bow our heads to the screen more than we should.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Oh for goodness sake. A couple of plastic sheep and a donkey made in China with a baby doll (probably also made in china), in a manger made from old popsicle sticks and sprinkled with a few sprigs of grass from the garden do not an idol make.

They may however tell a story to a child. Who most probably won't be emotionally scarred for the rest of their life by it.

The computer you are using right now is probably more of an idol, because too many of us worship at the altar of the laptop, and bow our heads to the screen more than we should.

I don't call my computer Jesus.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,607 posts
When someone has a picture they consider to be a likeness of Jesus, do you believe they think that the picture is Jesus Himself?

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

man

I don't call my computer Jesus.

So as long as we don't call it Jesus, then it can never be an idol.... Got it, I did not know that.

OneLight:

When someone has a picture they consider to be a likeness of Jesus, do you believe they think that the picture is Jesus Himself?

When I was younger, I always wondered how they knew what Jesus looked liked. My grandma had a picture of him on the wall. I would think that most would not think that it's an exact picture of Jesus.

Mike.

The tone of your posts seem to indicate that you don't believe idolatry to be a problem within the church. If it's not too much trouble, could you please show me why you believe this?

The bible specifically says we are not to have these images. It is an act of corruption to be in possession of these things.

Why is this such a contentious issue?

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests
When did this become meaningless?

Deuteronomy 4
15 “Take careful heed to yourselves, for you saw no form when the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire,
16 lest you act corruptly and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of any figure: the likeness of male or female,

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts
I agree,this thread should be closed.

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,459 posts
This thread is closed for review.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network