christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where are the prophets?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
Homosexual faux-marriage in Maine and other states.

"Legal" pot use in Colorado.

Considering legalizing bestiality in Florida.

Obviously, aborticide* in all states. (*Abortion is a miscarriage. Aborticide is the deliberate causing of a miscarriage by any means to kill an unborn child.)

I mean come on...Where are the prophets? Prophets ARE an office in God's church, but where are they? Has anyone heard the voice of a prophet in America today? I haven't, and I have my ears open. What good does it do to 'preach to the choir' so to speak? It's the GODLESS who need to hear. That's a prophet's job, to proclaim the word to the godless.

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
I love you bro...but that is a cop-out. Yes, disciples administrate the kingdom in the world, but PROPHETS (an office in the Church) have a totally different job. The prophet warns, sometimes of impending trouble, sometimes of consequences from sin. All the other offices administer within the church, but the prophet appears to be the liaison with the outside.

Apostles build churches.
Prophets give warning to the world.
Evangelists bring the Good News.
Pastors administrate local congregations.
Teachers disciple Believers.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts

I mean come on...Where are the prophets? Prophets ARE an office in God's church, but where are they? Has anyone heard the voice of a prophet in America today? I haven't, and I have my ears open. What good does it do to 'preach to the choir' so to speak? It's the GODLESS who need to hear. That's a prophet's job, to proclaim the word to the godless.

I have no words

well that's not true

I did type the above...and this...

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,419 posts
I see no prophets in the world today.....not real ones anyway. The original prophets warned us of the time we live in now and only God can raise up new ones.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,976 posts

That's a prophet's job, to proclaim the word to the godless.

I only know of one prophet who was sent to the heathen (those not "the people of God"). All other prophets spoke to "the people of God," although many had turned away from God.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Apostles build churches.
Prophets give warning to the world.
Evangelists bring the Good News.
Pastors administrate local congregations.
Teachers disciple Believers.

Is this what you see in Ephesians 4 when you read it? Are you combining Ephesians 4 with other scriptures to mold what you believe to be a more complete picture? I am simply trying to understand how you came to your conclusion here.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts

That's a prophet's job, to proclaim the word to the godless.

I only know of one prophet who was sent to the heathen (those not "the people of God"). All other prophets spoke to "the people of God," although many had turned away from God.

Exactly...I thought of that (Nineveh and Jonah) but I have to say, I had so many retorts that I could not choose one

Maybe that's just my reaction..........

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
What do you see apostles doing in the NT? Building churches. Laying foundations. Giving doctrine.

Prophets in the NT do what? Agabus gave warning of an impending disaster. And then oddly enough, nothing else is recorded in the NT referring to a prophet. So, I have to go to the OT to see what prophets did. They warned. When God sent a prophet to Israel, it was always to those who had gone from Him. Descendants of righteous living people who became godless.

Evangelists on the job are never shown in the NT. But the word refers to one who brings good news.

Pastors (or bishops) are overseers of local congregations. The word means shepherds. What does a shepherd do? He makes sure the sheep are properly fed. He checks their food to see it's not poisoned. He makes sure their water is clean. He guides them away from bad terrain where they might be injured. And most importantly: HE PROTECTS THEM FROM WOLVES.

Teachers are just that: teachers. They break down Scripture and make it understood.

But we digress: The question was "Where are the prophets?" Where are those whom God has placed in the Church to warn of impending disaster? With the way things are in the US today, I'd think that the streets would be filled with them. And they're not. Which makes me wonder: Has God abandoned America to reprobacy?

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

What do you see apostles doing in the NT? Building churches. Laying foundations. Giving doctrine.

Prophets in the NT do what? Agabus gave warning of an impending disaster. And then oddly enough, nothing else is recorded in the NT referring to a prophet. So, I have to go to the OT to see what prophets did. They warned. When God sent a prophet to Israel, it was always to those who had gone from Him. Descendants of righteous living people who became godless.

Evangelists on the job are never shown in the NT. But the word refers to one who brings good news.

Pastors (or bishops) are overseers of local congregations. The word means shepherds. What does a shepherd do? He makes sure the sheep are properly fed. He checks their food to see it's not poisoned. He makes sure their water is clean. He guides them away from bad terrain where they might be injured. And most importantly: HE PROTECTS THEM FROM WOLVES.

Teachers are just that: teachers. They break down Scripture and make it understood.

But we digress: The question was "Where are the prophets?" Where are those whom God has placed in the Church to warn of impending disaster? With the way things are in the US today, I'd think that the streets would be filled with them. And they're not. Which makes me wonder: Has God abandoned America to reprobacy?

Thanks for clarifying how you derive your understanding. In the NT I cannot find any reference of a prophet being sent to unbelievers other than one with the message of impending doom or other for that matter. They were present at gatherings of the brethren and spoke in turn. They were those who spoke unto believers like Judas and Silas who were sent along with that which was determined by the Jerusalem counsel. Revelation, however speaks of the two witnesses who are prophets of God that torment others with their message until they are killed. In this instance, I side with you. Along with Jonah and Nineveh.

Maybe you have been called to lead the charge?

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
The prophets never left. I just typed in your question into google and this is the first thing that came up. I agree with it, so saved
me some typing, what? You are not the only one asking this question...I don't ask it, because I know they have already spoken

God will act and does act and already has. He has already spoken and since He has not changed His mind, you can expect
more of the same

There is truly nothing new under the sun

So, where are the prophets today when they are so sorely needed? Oh, they are with us, and their voices are speaking to us today! They can be easily identified and their names revealed. Their names are Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Daniel, Malachi, and many others too numerous to mention in these few lines. All of their names are found in the pages of the Bible. These men, called prophets, were called and commissioned by Yahweh, to be very powerful spokespersons for His purpose on earth. God spoke to, and through them, so let’s examine a few select examples of God’s words and message through them.
Isaiah 46:10 says, “I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say my purpose will stand.” True students of the Bible know and understand that much of what we call prophecy is for the end times and thereby is yet to be fulfilled.
Jeremiah 2:13 says, “My people have committed two sins; they have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns which are broken and cannot hold water.”
Ezekiel 22:26 says, “Her priests do violence to my law, and profane MY Holy things; they do not distinguish between the Holy and the common. They teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean, and they shut their eyes to the keeping of MY Sabbaths, so that I am profaned!”
These two select passages in Jeremiah and Ezekiel illustrate a sampling of the mind of God and what’s important to Him.
Elijah, the prophet of prophets as he was called, stated the following in I Kings 18:26, “How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord Yahweh is God, follow Him, but, if Baal is god, then follow him.” God does, or will at some point, confront one with this mother of all decisions!
Our Messiah was called Yeshua in the Hebrew language, for indeed He was from the tribe of Judah. This Savior, whom we call Jesus, was the prophet of prophets, lest we forget! The Messiah said in Luke 6:46, “Why do you call me Lord Lord, and do not do what I say?” Our Lord spoke powerfully about putting all His words into practice!
Daniel 12, Jeremiah 30, and Matthew 24, speak of a terrible time of distress coming upon the earth and certain nations, indeed, the end has been declared from the beginning as the prophet Isaiah predicted. THESE ARE THE VOICES OF GOD’S SPIRITUAL WEATHERMEN WARNING US BEFORE THE STORM BURSTS UPON US.
Jeremiah 30:23-24 speaks of the “storm of the Lord bursting upon the land at the designated set time in the latter days.”
Isaiah 58:1 says to “raise your voice like a trumpet and declare to my people their rebellion.”
Joel 2:12 cry’s out to those who will hear, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” “Rend your heart”, a loving Father says, in and through the prophet Ezekiel. “Turn, turn, from your evil ways, why will you die?”
Read the moving plea found in Ezekiel 33:11.

I want to end the examples and words of the prophets with Isaiah 61:1-2:

“The spirit of the Sovereign Lord Yahweh is on me. He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the broken hearted, and to proclaim freedom for the captives, and to release the prisoners from darkness. He wants me to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
Dear readers, the good news described above is a pleasure to embrace and proclaim. Yeshua Jesus Himself chose this passage to read at the beginning of His ministry found in Luke 4:16-18!
The question was asked, “Where are the prophets?” The answer is, THEY HAVE JUST SPOKEN TO YOU THROUGH THE ENDURING, AND ABIDING WORDS THAT THE HEAVENLY FATHER GAVE THEM!
Matthew 5:17 makes it crystal clear that the words and voices of the prophets are still relevant, and have not been abolished. There is so much more that they have to share with us. This writer issues the challenge to read and study the lives of these special messengers, for they speak the heart of a loving Father.
God has spoken to you today through a few select passages of the prophets.
May the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, who loves all of mankind, move and stir you to seek His face! Our only sure protection and safety is to return to the Father’s house. May your eyes see and your ears hear in this hour the voice of God.

WHERE ARE THE PROPHETS? THEY HAVE JUST SPOKEN TO US.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,927 posts
This world is so used to seeing things blasted over the airwaves that if they don't see it, they don't believe it is happening. The gift of Prophecy is given to those whom the Holy Spirit is using. It is not a title like Dr or Lawyer that one holds in front of their name for the world to recognize they are a prophet. Why look for a sign (prophet) while ignoring the message (Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit)? The more we do our job, the less He needs to garner the worlds attention through one person.

bryanw92

bryanw92

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Edited by bryanw92, 10 January 2013 - 02:40 PM.

Floatingaxe

Floatingaxe

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,925 posts
Prophecy is a gift for the Church, to be used by the Church for the Church, first and foremost.

Ephesians 4:11
Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers.

1 Corinthians 12:27-28
All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it. 28 Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church:

first are apostles,
second are prophets,
third are teachers,
then those who do miracles,
those who have the gift of healing,
those who can help others,
those who have the gift of leadership,
those who speak in unknown languages.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,976 posts

Prophets in the NT do what? Agabus gave warning of an impending disaster. And then oddly enough, nothing else is recorded in the NT referring to a prophet.

Except where prophets prophecied to Paul about what would happen to him in Jerusalem (one encounter is recorded).

So, I have to go to the OT to see what prophets did. They warned. When God sent a prophet to Israel, it was always to those who had gone from Him. Descendants of righteous living people who became godless

Prophets also ministered to people who were following God. You can see that with Elisha's ministry. The recorded words of prophecy were not only to call God's people who had fallen away to repentance, but also for us today, don't you think? Else, why record them? Why do we study them?

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
The prophets were men who were called most often to warn and encourage God's people, and call them to
repentance. Jonah was called to go to the heathen. But all were definitely called of God with a message that
so burned within them that they could not refrain from giving it to the people God directed them to.
Again, remember Johah, the reluctant prophet.
All God's prophets feared and loved God more than their lives. And giving God's message usually cost them
their lives. Pray for the prophets around the world, mostly obscure, who are in solitary confinement for 30 years
(like Watchman Nee), who are being tortured and killed for their faith, whose families are abused before their eyes,
who are being pulled out of cars on the streets and beheaded in front of their families. The man reporting this kept
repeating: " If I can't forgive my preaching means nothing!
I heard the last accout from his best friend, a pastor,. It had occurred only one week before and he grieved deeply.

Edited by Willamina, 01 January 2013 - 05:21 PM.

bryanw92

bryanw92

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Edited by bryanw92, 10 January 2013 - 02:40 PM.

bryanw92

bryanw92

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Edited by bryanw92, 10 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts
Jesus is the last Prophet. The last prophecy is the Book of Revelation. Today, the only prophecy concerns individuals, not nations, nor the World.

bryanw92

bryanw92

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Edited by bryanw92, 10 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,594 posts
It doesn't matter how many people stand up and say God is not pleased. God, has already made a note of that in words
that are far more eloquent than any so called prophets that believe they have a message of doom and gloom.

Many OT prophecies have yet to be fulfilled but we can see some that are undeniable as having been fulfilled such as
Israel being made a nation in their own land once again.

Isaiah 53....that has been fulfilled in Jesus...that is one of the most beautiful and yet sorrowful chapters in the Bible

The MAIN reason people who say they have the gift of prophecy are laughed at by those who no longer believe that God
dispenses spiritual gifts (in my opinion) are the buffoons on certain channels I won't mention who have a ridiculous prophecy
a minute and say the opposite of what the book of Revelation states about the final chapters of the world.

God does not act without saying (through) His prophets, what He is going to do. He has stated most of His plans already
if you read the prophets...if the same type of sins are ongoing in a nation, read what befell that nation that overthrew the
enlightenment of God and see what their end was.

Does it really take a prophet to state the direction that North America is going in? The history channel provides a good glimpse
into what goes around comes around. So, some good understanding, some discernment, some knowledge and the Bible
will actually tell anyone with an ear to listen what is next. I do not mean specifically...if someone states specifically and says
that God revealed such and such to them and it does not happen, we know that person did not speak for the Lord.

Stop blaming the 'church'...folks, you ARE the church! What is YOUR part in all of this?

Do you KNOW what God would have you doing right now? Is your part to pray? Are you praying? Is your part to help the
poor? Are you doing that?

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, Col. 3:23

There are far too many prophets running into each other with conflicting messages of God told me this or an angel told me that.

God has not said. If a person cannot even grasp what God has ALREADY said, why do you, whoever you are, think He is
saying something through that person.

No one,in my understanding, can know at this moment exactly what is next...however, we are to understand the times and always
be prepared.

Do not be confused...God is not going to 'send' a prophet to warn you of coming judgement. He has already stated that He will
judge all these things that are being done.

I believe there are prophets. I do not believe the cacophony of noise we hear is prophecy. A prophet will hear from God

and will not be swayed by the demand for a word.

It is not the prophets (whether dead or alive, because those who have passed still speak) responsibility to stir your heart to
repentance. It is YOUR responsibility to obey. You know what is right. Do it.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network