christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is Water Baptism Essential to Salvation?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

I love this point, well mainly hearing the point. "If Baptism is essential, then why didn't Jesus baptized anyone?"

Romans 6:4 says that we are "baptized into his death" .. How could anyone be baptized into his death if he was still alive?

It is essential for those who wish to be obedient, but not for salvation. That earlier wedding ring analogy was pretty good, as a sybol of what has occured, not a a means to an end. As far as Jesus not baptising, that is true (or at least if He did, it was not mentioned). However, Jesus Himself was baptisted, and I think we want to be like Him. In anycase, Jesus' diciples baptised people during Jesus earthly ministry. Paul only baptised a few, put never indicated that it was not important. So, what I would ask, is why would any beleiver who does not have a phobia of water, avoid baptism? To Nebula's point about Hebrew and immersion, I do not know about that, but the Greek Baptizo, does mean immersion. If translators of the Bible, wanted to be literal, they would have called John the baptist: "John the immerser". To render baptizo as baptism, is not a translation, it is a transliteration. My guess is that most bibles use the word batism, becuase they do not want to lose sales among denominations that sprinkle and pour. :laughing:

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,484 posts

Act 19:17 ¶ And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve.

I will never be so bold as to come out and say that something is required for salvation outside of believing what God has revealed unto you and seeking to follow that which is of God.

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

If God through Christ is leading one to be baptized and the spirit of Antichrist is leading away from baptism and one believes the spirit of Antichrist over Christ then who is he being led by? Whose son is he? May God have mercy upon the truly ignorant.

All that is required for salvation is faith in Christ. Baptism is an act of obedience to a commandment and is for believers. Unbelievers are never commnded to be baptized in Scripture. Only those who are believers are commanded to be baptized.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network