christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Columbine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

Pahu

Pahu

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Columbine

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good &evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
Your words are empty air.
You've stripped away our heritage,
You've outlawed simple prayer.
Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
And precious children die.
You seek for answers everywhere,
And ask the question "Why?"
You regulate restrictive laws,
Through legislative creed.
And yet you fail to understand,
That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!

My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"
  • Darrell Scott

Jayyycuuup

Jayyycuuup

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts
WOW- - -Some really powerful words. Thank you so much for sharing! So much truth there and I agree. There was much direction in this speech!

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,776 posts
Amen~!

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
Pahu, when was this article written?

The author is correct, this is a spiritual matter and those in that room are largely responsible for that tragedy,
but we likewise are responsible because we elected each and every one of them into office.

gbde90

gbde90
  • Banned
  • 11 posts
<p>I am not sure what this has to do with Science vs. Faith.

This particular sub-forum (Science vs. Faith) )seems to have completely dried out. Bummer, it was my favorite one

Edited by gbde90, 01 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,776 posts

I am not sure what this has to do with Science vs. Faith.....

They have set up kings, but not by me: they have made princes, and I knew it not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.
Thy calf, O Samaria, hath cast thee off; mine anger is kindled against them: how long will it be ere they attain to innocency?
For from Israel was it also: the workman made it; therefore it is not God: but the calf of Samaria shall be broken in pieces.

For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk: the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up. Hosea 8:4-7

Putting it in context of the school shootings, the teaching of evolutionary theory to young people at a Finnish high school and at Columbine High School sufficiently impacted the lives of three students that it has utterly disrupted, to varying degrees and varying lengths of time, the lives of parents, other students, teachers, police, ambulance and hospital staff, pastors and grief counsellors, and even national government leaders. So much for the notion that the creation/evolution debate is ‘only of academic interest’! And of course the shootings didn’t just disrupt lives, they directly destroyed (i.e. cut short) the lives of 24 people in all.

Even from a purely practical viewpoint, is that really the sort of ideology a society would want to teach to its children, now that the consequences are evident for all to see? http://creation.com/...ind-of-a-killer

MissPlaced_56

MissPlaced_56

Veteran Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
WOw! a Pen in the hand of a GODLY Man can shed such light and truth....

InHisTime77

InHisTime77
  • Members
  • 75 posts
This was moving, but I'm not sure that it is based on truth. Certainly the words were spoken, but I do not know that they accurately reflect the world we live in.

At what point was prayer outlawed? I know of no ban on students praying. Teachers and administrators cannot coerce students to pray, but this is hardly the outlawing of prayer.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,776 posts

At what point was prayer outlawed? I know of no ban on students praying. Teachers and administrators cannot coerce students to pray, but this is hardly the outlawing of prayer.

:thumbsup:

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:15-18

Can there be prayer at school assemblies? School officials, employees or outsiders must not offer prayers at school assemblies. Even if attendance is voluntary, students may not deliver prayers at school assemblies either. Student-initiated prayer at school assemblies is unconstitutional even if the prayer is nonproselytizing and nonsectarian. http://archive.adl.o...2004/prayer.asp

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26

Can school boards say prayers prior to their meetings? While the Supreme Court has upheld the right of legislative bodies to open their sessions with a prayer, other courts have addressed and struck down prayers in a school board setting as such meetings are "inextricably intertwined with the public school system." http://archive.adl.o...2004/prayer.asp

Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. http://www.archives....transcript.html

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,428 posts
Amen Joe! :thumbsup:

ollkiller

ollkiller

Advanced Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I can see where he's coming from. It is the evil in people's's hearts that does these things, BUT, your able to kill a lot more people with semi-automatic weapons than a club. This is a cultural thing. In America it seems damn easy to get a gun. Here in Ireland you need to be part of a gun club (clay shooting, that sort of stuff), vetted by the police for history of mental illness and suitablility (is the person responsible). Hence our low rate of gun related murders. Hence America's high murder rate. I believe in responsible gun ownership myself but not the ownership of semi-automatic weapons. How anyone can defend the ownership of these is beyond me.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,283 posts

This was moving, but I'm not sure that it is based on truth. Certainly the words were spoken, but I do not know that they accurately reflect the world we live in.

i don't know about every state, but in Oklahoma it is illegal for a teacher or administrator to stop students from Praying unless they are disrupting the learning process.

I know many many teachers here for my wife was one for over 20 years, and I don't know a single teacher that would stop a kid from praying even if it stopped him/her from teaching in the classroom. I know my wife would stop her kindergarten classwork if one of her students asked to pray for family, friends or a need for someone they knew.

Man you haven't lived till you see a classroom of five and six years olds praying for one of the kids family members. Of course my wife can't lead them in prayer, but truth be told, they , in reality, don't need any help talking to God. They just need permission to do so and be left alone to do it.

1peterlight

1peterlight

• PipPip
  • 178 posts
Anyone know that more people were killed in America by hammer last year than by guns? Are we to outlaw these too?

Edited by 1peterlight, 14 March 2013 - 01:31 PM.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,428 posts
There are far more affective ways to take the life of another, especially if there is more than one person, than a gun. The problem is the person who is doing the act, not the tool one uses. The power they receive with a gun is what they thrive. If it was just to remove a group of people, there are many other tools that would be far more affective.

ollkiller

ollkiller

Advanced Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Whatever about possession of handguns do ye think that semi automatic guns should be sold to the general public. Unless your in a war I can't see any reason to own one.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
I think you hit the nail on the head there oll, unless your in a war. The second amendment wasnt provided to give us protection againt burglers, it was protection against the government, just in case it turns to tyranny and the need arises again for another revolution. And you can't go to war, without the guns to do it.

The real question here is, what is wrong with semi-automatic weapons such as the AR-15? A gun is not evil. A gun is not dangerous. regardless of what kind of action it is, a gun can only do 2 things-function, or fail. People kill people, not guns.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Anyone know that more people were killed in America by hammer last year than by guns? Are we to outlaw these too?

Hello 1Peterlight,

I have read this claim many times in the recent past ( with a smile ). The hammer to gun ratio is concerning rifles only.

For instance in 2011 there were 8583 gun murder victims which included 323 rifle cases. Hammers etc were used in 496 murder instances.

http://www.fbi.gov/a...e-data-table-11

FYI :D

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts
Most murders in the US, are commited using weapons of opportunity-knives, hammers, blunt instruments. Just sayin. Mainly, because a lot of murders arnt premeditated.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

Most murders in the US, are commited using weapons of opportunity-knives, hammers, blunt instruments. Just sayin. Mainly, because a lot of murders arnt premeditated.

Hello Pat,

This FBI website lists total murders in USA in 2011 as 12,664.

Of these 8,583 were gun related which leaves 4,081 for all other weapons or methods. This indicates guns are responsible for 67% of all murders in 2011 and therefore the most used tool in murder.

http://www.fbi.gov/a...e-data-table-11

Are these figures incorrect ?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,776 posts

Whatever about possession of handguns do ye think that semi automatic guns should be sold to the general public. Unless your in a war I can't see any reason to own one....

Cars

In 2011, 32,310 people died in motor vehicle crashes, down 1.7 percent from 2010, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. In 2010, 32,885 people died in motor vehicle crashes and an additional 2,243,000 people were injured. http://www.rmiia.org..._of_crashes.asp

Too?

Murder Victims by Weapon, 2006–2010

(In 2010 8,775 Died From Firearms ~ Joe) http://www.fbi.gov/a.../10shrtbl08.xls

~

Is It Reason?

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. http://www.archives....transcript.html

Or Is It Treason?

In spite of extensive recent discussion and much legislative action with respect to regulation of the purchase, possession, and transportation of firearms, as well as proposals to substantially curtail ownership of firearms, there is no definitive resolution by the courts of just what right the Second Amendment protects. The opposing theories, perhaps oversimplified, are an “individual rights” thesis whereby individuals are protected in ownership, possession, and transportation, and a “states’ rights” thesis whereby it is said the purpose of the clause is to protect the States in their authority to maintain formal, organized militia units. Whatever the Amendment may mean, it is a bar only to federal action, not extending to state or private restraints. The Supreme Court has given effect to the dependent clause of the Amendment in the only case in which it has tested a congressional enactment against the constitutional prohibition, seeming to affirm individual protection but only in the context of the maintenance of a militia or other such public force. ...

And In Whom

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

Should A Body Trust?

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

~

On A Personal Note: The Trouble With Those Anti-Islamophobia Lawyers

Woe unto them that draw iniquity with cords of vanity, and sin as it were with a cart rope:
That say, Let him make speed, and hasten his work, that we may see it: and let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know it!
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
Isaiah 5:18-21

Is That They Are Calling Islam's Followers, Liars

Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall be diverse from all kingdoms, and shall devour the whole earth, and shall tread it down, and break it in pieces. Daniel 7:23

And God's Watchmen, Fools

The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.
And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.
Zechariah 12:1-3

May God Have Mercy On Their Souls

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Amen~!

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network