christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Please explain....

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
I have a few friends who are atheists ....they are great!!

but...

.....I can't handle the bully attitude and know it all persona sometimes....

Like why does it have to be so?

I'm just letting off steam :grin: but sometimes I don't have the strength to pursue discussions because I always feel lectured to.....

......sigh....... :bored-1:

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
I usually just follow the Holy Spirit's leading with folks like that. Mostly it seems to work out as "plant a seed and move on." I don't argue once the attitude starts because I personally don't have the patience for it and the attitude tends to set me off such that I'm liable to say things that would not be a good testimony. Jesus spent little time arguing with those who thought they were okay. He said what needed to be said and went on His way. I don't do a perfect job of it, but I try to follow the same pattern as best I can. In the end I think it boils down to letting the Word of God speak for itself.

One thing I will do when the attitude starts though, is this: Why are you so intolerant? (I get hit with that a lot because of all the college students I run into.) "Why do you clearly hate someone you say doesn't exist?" is another good one. (As in: How can you hate something/somone that doesn't exist?)

He giveth more grace

He giveth more grace

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
One of America's renown Atheist and I are friends as much as we can be. she is friends with Richard Dawkins undoubtedly the most renown Atheist. I have said that I will pray at a meal once and she said that she will not participate, so I prayed aloud openly. She is such an activist Atheist, but she doesn't try anything with me.

bloodstone

bloodstone
  • Banned
  • 5 posts
I have had the pleasure of meeting many who live by the term 'Atheist', having a conversation with them, has been a blessing. I believe God has His hand in the topic, even my believing in someone, they dont believe in. I have a testimony of how God healed me and am glad to share this with anyone. They have questioned how I can say God healed me, and it wasnt doctors? When I reply it had to be God, since I flushed every medication down the toilet, so I cant give a doctor credit for what God has done without a single dose of medication. I just tell them Jesus is my Savior and the blood has been accepted, believed, applied, and its a permanent relationship that will not end.
I listen to their ideas on being non-believers, and gently remind them God doesnt believe in Atheists. I'm not sure why, but that comment always brings a smile to their faces, I assure them I am saying that in total sincerity and my best advice is to read the Word of God for themselves and not listen to what others' opinions are. We are to seek God in spirit and truth. I will continue to pray to share a peaceful loving spirit with each one I talk with, honestly, they have blessed me in many ways. When I tell someone thanks for the blessings, they seem perplexed that something they may say against God, yet I thank them for what they said. I will do anything to keep the doors open for future talks, then be judgmental, and destroy what could be their last chance to be saved by the blood of Jesus. I truly believe this saying: Sometimes we are the only bible some people read. We should share with others, as we've been blessed to have had others share God's love with us.

chloe_fantastic

chloe_fantastic

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
I don't like mean people in general, no matter if their atheists or not. I tend to try to steer clear of that sort of person.

However, I know that we are called to tell others about Jesus, and for me that comes ahead of my wants or preferences in the type of person I'd like to deal with. So when the Lord sends a person like this my way, it's a bit easier to take the rudeness and the insults because I know I'm doing this for the Lord, and I know this is what He wants me to do.

I often find that asking myself why in any upsetting situation is couterproductive. A better question is how, and knowing why usually does nothing to change the how of the situation. The solution to a problem is the same whether I know the why of it or not. Sometimes there is no why, it just is what it is.

It's a good place to be in when we run out of strength to do things like this. That means it has to be done in God's strength, no credit taken for ourselves. And He has infinate strength, so we don't have to worry about running out.

:wub:

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

I have a few friends who are atheists ....they are great!!

but...

.....I can't handle the bully attitude and know it all persona sometimes....

Like why does it have to be so?

I'm just letting off steam :grin: but sometimes I don't have the strength to pursue discussions because I always feel lectured to.....

......sigh....... :bored-1:

Atheists and other skeptics tend to have an inflated opinion of their knowledge of the facts when it comes to their knowledge of Christianity and the Bible. Most of the time, they are nothing but parrots. Most of the their arguments against Christianity are just a regurgitation of what they have read on someone else's websites and they almost ever fact check that information. They accept, uncritically, what they read or hear when it is something unfavorable to Christianity. They ususally don't understand Christian history and are entirely unfamiliar with biblical manuscript evidence. Most of their criticisms about the Bible are not evidentiary in nature. In short, they blow a lot of smoke, but most of what atheists say has no intellectual merit or credibility. That is why Dawkins, Hitchens, Ehrman and other skeptics are not the heavy hitters that they think (or thought) they are/were.

They cloak their ignorance with arrogance and condescension and pretend that such behavior is "intellectual." They more they can portray Christians as stupid, the more they can relegate belief in God to believing in the Easter Bunny, the smarter it makes them feel smart.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,038 posts

Atheists and other skeptics tend to have an inflated opinion of their knowledge of the facts when it comes to their knowledge of Christianity and the Bible. Most of the time, they are nothing but parrots. Most of the their arguments against Christianity are just a regurgitation of what they have read on someone else's websites and they almost ever fact check that information. They accept, uncritically, what they read or hear when it is something unfavorable to Christianity. They ususally don't understand Christian history and are entirely unfamiliar with biblical manuscript evidence. Most of their criticisms about the Bible are not evidentiary in nature. In short, they blow a lot of smoke, but most of what atheists say has no intellectual merit or credibility. That is why Dawkins, Hitchens, Ehrman and other skeptics are not the heavy hitters that they think (or thought) they are/were.

They cloak their ignorance with arrogance and condescension and pretend that such behavior is "intellectual." They more they can portray Christians as stupid, the more they can relegate belief in God to believing in the Easter Bunny, the smarter it makes them feel smart.

:thumbsup:

~

Simple In Three Verses

The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.
Proverbs 14:14-16

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
We had a get together the other day and it was definitely a time of keeping my mouth firmly shut :emot-nod:

The attitude that really gets to me is - "you are wrong, I am right - period!"

Of course I need to pray, not only for them but myself as well.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,038 posts

We had a get together the other day and it was definitely a time of keeping my mouth firmly shut :emot-nod:

The attitude that really gets to me is - "you are wrong, I am right - period!"

Of course I need to pray, not only for them but myself as well.

Amen To The Praying

See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1 Thessalonians 5:15-18

And Amen To The Silence

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalms 46:10

Praying~!

~

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

Love, Your Brother Joe

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

Be Blessed Beloved Daughter Of The KING

Love, Your Brother Joe

Thank you FresnoJoe : )

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
I forgot to mention :whistling: ....

it's not necessarily religion or beliefs that their opinions are set in concrete but anything.....

If my opinion differs from theirs .. well bad luck....I'm WRONG! ...period.

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

it's not necessarily religion or beliefs that their opinions are set in concrete but anything.....

Hello HisG,

This is a common trait in humans :D

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

haha, yeah it is.

I don't know hisg, honestly it just sounds like you have some obnoxious friends.

I was starting to think that but 6 out of 6 (atheist) friends??

Wow

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Yep, all friends with each other.....

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

Hello HisG,

This is a common trait in humans :D

That's true ninhao,

..and I must confess this last get together I felt intimidated by all their vocal and unified criticisms of nearly everything under the sun...

religion came up and I sat their mute.....I hated myself for it too...

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

That's true ninhao,

..and I must confess this last get together I felt intimidated by all their vocal and unified criticisms of nearly everything under the sun...

There is a time to speak and a time to remain silent. If you felt intimidated possibly it was a good time to remain silent else you may have replied without meekness and fear.

1Pe_3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

I see no gain in replying with frustration or anger.

nickname

nickname
  • Nonbeliever
  • 52 posts
It's not my place to say, but this thread seems to relate mostly to 'career' atheists. For most, it's just a natural state of thought, they don't have any desire or reason to 'defend' atheism, nor 'bash' Christianity. The subject of faith is only addressed when someone else brings it up, and is no more important to them than last nights football game, or why they selected a particular brand of socks over another. For others, it's simply curiosity or recreation, and they regard Christianity in the same academic capacity as they would any other religion. Vicious/condescending individuals aren't concentrated inside any single social class or group, they comprise entire spectrum of humanity, whether they believe in deities or not.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
hmmm..not sure about atheists not bringing up the subject of religion first -

I beg to differ because when I'm with these friends, they seem to bring up the subject of religion or Christians.

One commented on a Christian friend not being so Christian and that opened the floodgates...all negative by the way.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

That's true ninhao,

There is a time to speak and a time to remain silent. If you felt intimidated possibly it was a good time to remain silent else you may have replied without meekness and fear.

1Pe_3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

I see no gain in replying with frustration or anger.

I agree absolutely.

Although I felt not to respond at all, I still felt like I had let the "team down" by not saying anything but in retrospect I think that if I had of attempted to (when I felt I shouldn't) I would have been eaten alive - such was the atmosphere..

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

hisg, seriously, it's your friends. You have on your hands some aggressive atheists. Nick is right, the majority of atheists I know don't actually make a big thing of their atheism.

I know, I've been with other atheists and its no big deal...: )

but I feel like I don't want to meet up anymore with them....and that's not the right attitude is it?

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network