christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is your religion a theory or a love affair?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
I was impressed with this quote:

"Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair." ~ Gilbert K. Chesterton

While we can all say a heart "Amen!" to this, I can't be satisfied with the theory of what is spoken. I am grasped by substance.

*** How does your life reflect having a "love affair" rather than a "theory"? ***

You can say, "I read my Bible." Well, any scholar can read and fill his brain an be nothing more than a braniac. What makes your reading of the Bible a love affair rather than a theory?

"I pray." OK, but people in every religion pray. What makes your prayer time and expression of a love relationship?

And which do people see expressed through you?

His_disciple3

His_disciple3

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
who in their right mind would say that their religion is a theory?

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Have you been on some of the science threads on worthy?

Some may answer your question.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,184 posts

"Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair." ~ Gilbert K. Chesterton

It is neither a theory or a love affair. A "love affair" is a carnal relationship. I tend to have problems with attempts to characterize our relationship with God in romantic terms. Our relationship with God is covenantal, not romantic. The Bible does not use romantic terms to desicribe our relationship with God. The Bible does use marriage as a metaphor for the relationship of ;Christ to the church, but even then it is covenantal terms, not romantic terms. Being "in love" with God is a carnal, not biblical, concept. God is not my girlfriend.

It crosses the line of familiarity when we sing songs about God that uses romantic overtones to characterize our relationship with Him. He is not our "buddy" or our "lover." He is our most dread Sovereign Creator, Redeemer, and Eternal Judge. I think many people have lost sight of that fact. It has led to a flippancy about God in some places. Worship means that we honor God for His holiness, power, majesty and glory. We should exalt Him because of His grace, mercy and love. But we should not reduce Him to a romantic lover we can cuddle up with on the couch.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

The Bible does not use romantic terms to desicribe our relationship with God.

What do you make of Jesus being called the Bridegroom and the Church His Bride?

sheya joie

sheya joie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts
There is also this verse:

Isa 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

(emphasis mine)

chloe_fantastic

chloe_fantastic

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
No cuddling, eh? :39:

John 13:
23 Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved. 24 Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask who it was of whom He spoke.

25 Then, leaning back[d] on Jesus’ breast, he said to Him, “Lord, who is it?”

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
One point I would like to note:

God is not my girlfriend.

No one means to imply this concept. But of course, I guess a male would perceive things a bit different than a female would.

Holding aside "romance", the kind of love we have for the Lord should be passionate, should it not? Our love for the Lord should obsess our souls, should it not? The presence of the Lord should enrapture us, should it not?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,499 posts
As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. Psalms 42:1

~

Holding aside "romance", the kind of love we have for the Lord should be passionate, should it not? Our love for the Lord should obsess our souls, should it not? The presence of the Lord should enrapture us, should it not?

:thumbsup:

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. Mark 12:29-30

~
Heidi Baker - Radical Love Equals Radical Obedience

http://www.worthychr...49#entry1913949

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests
I am both theory and love.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
What about Song of Songs?

There's a lot of love there.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,499 posts

What about Song of Songs?

There's a lot of love there.

Amen~!

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love. Song Of Solomon 2:4

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
First of all I do not consider it "my religion" I consider it a relationship with Christ.And it certainly is a love affair. :grin:

Widor1

Widor1

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

It is neither a theory or a love affair. A "love affair" is a carnal relationship. I tend to have problems with attempts to characterize our relationship with God in romantic terms. Our relationship with God is covenantal, not romantic. The Bible does not use romantic terms to desicribe our relationship with God. The Bible does use marriage as a metaphor for the relationship of ;Christ to the church, but even then it is covenantal terms, not romantic terms. Being "in love" with God is a carnal, not biblical, concept. God is not my girlfriend.

It crosses the line of familiarity when we sing songs about God that uses romantic overtones to characterize our relationship with Him. He is not our "buddy" or our "lover." He is our most dread Sovereign Creator, Redeemer, and Eternal Judge. I think many people have lost sight of that fact. It has led to a flippancy about God in some places. Worship means that we honor God for His holiness, power, majesty and glory. We should exalt Him because of His grace, mercy and love. But we should not reduce Him to a romantic lover we can cuddle up with on the couch.

Merriam-Webster defines "love affair" as a romantic attachment or episode between lovers; a lively enthusiasm. While we can definitely define it as carnal in a worldly respect, I believe that the entire Bible has themes relating to God's never-ending, forever lasting love for us. God is our Sovereign Creator, Redeemer, and Eternal Judge; the Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter, and Jesus is God in the flesh. He died for our sins because He was in love with us. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." That is intense. God is all about love, and if we don't have an intense, enthusiastic, burning desire to seek a closer relationship with Him, is it really a relationship?

1 John 4:7-11 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

First of all I do not consider it "my religion" I consider it a relationship with Christ.And it certainly is a love affair. :grin:

Amen!

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Song of Songs-

Whether it is strictly written about a couple in love or the relationship of Christ to the Church -

the fact that an illustration of a man and woman in love and the strongest of feelings that human beings can have toward each other - if that's a reflection of how much God feels for me, how much Christ feels for me - then I can understand it when put into human terms such as that which is expressed in Song of Songs.

It is all encompassing - mind, body and soul.

redroses42

redroses42

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
Oh how i love Jesus
Because He first loved me

the LORD is everything to me ...He is number one in my life :mgcheerful: :mgcheerful: :mgcheerful:

His_disciple3

His_disciple3

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
you have not given enough options. for most folks will write off Christianity as not a religion, but with Jesus asking: "why call me Lord Lord and do not the things I say" or "if you love me keep my commandments". and if we view the definition of religion, then to truly be in the will of God, we must say that our religion is simply that "a religion".

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913 + 1828)

ARTFL > Webster's Dictionary > Searching for religion:

Displaying 1 result(s) from the 1828 edition:

RELIGION, n. relij''on. [L. religio, from religo, to bind anew; re and ligo, to bind. This word seems originally to have signified an oath or vow to the gods, or the obligation of such an oath or vow, which was held very sacred by the Romans.]
1. Religion, in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man''s obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man''s accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. It therefore comprehends theology, as a system of doctrines or principles, as well as practical piety; for the practice of moral duties without a belief in a divine lawgiver, and without reference to his will or commands, is not religion.

so one could say that : for a christian to deny that Christianity is a religion is to deny The Piety of Christ( piety meaning a reverence of the Supreme Being and love of his character ). As we can see here even in the Churches of past and of today the Love of Christ is in its fullness or is it? for if Love is in it's fullness then there would be the reverence of Christ, as a fruit of Love and a reverence of that love. which should be much needed for people to see a true picture of our Religion or Doctrine of Christ. But as one looks at the Church, anyone can see, that satan has entered in through the Eve/woman, as scripture clearly teaches as Christ is Head of the Church so is the man head of the house/family. but satan has said to women; well you are working now you should be as high as man is, if this docrtine is applied to the Church then man now runs the church, as if to the family: woman now runs the family, and satan has carried woman one step higher and saying that she should even be running the Church, and woman has bought into this lie from hell itself. however our Piety to the Almighty Holy Trinity has been thrashed as our Lord has said we must live by every Word of/from God. God/Lord said in the Word, that woman is not to have authority over man, or that the Bishop and deacon of the church is to be the Husband OF ONE WIFE! now this is explained off by saying that the system of the Church of old, was that woman sat on one side and men sat on the other, and the wife would yell over to the husband during service and say what does that mean. but where is this saying that woman took charge/authority of the service in doing so, as she has taken authority as pastor. the definition of religion has been given in scripture, and again we live by only the part we want to live by so we say we love our God/Jesus Christ by taking care of those in need, but the last part of our true religion says that: one must keep himself unspotted from the world.

Jas 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

to visit the fatherless and widows is our love toward our Piety, but to keep ones self unspotted from the world is the reverence of our Piety, so woman though pride has said I am not the weaker vessel, and has become head of the family as well as head of the church, but even as Adam. man will not be excluded from the judgement of this fall, for as Adam was with Eve, so is man with his wife and has allowed this unreverence to our Lord to take place. it has been said for evil to prevail, just let a good man do nothing! when we lose reverence the love is weakened as well. Reverence God and His Word is, His will for mankind, go against this and we fight against God as well, Go with God and receive His blessing or go against God and receive His cursings. Now I have pointed out one sin in the Church, but this includes all sin as well, adultery, homosexuality, lying, backbiting, these visual sins, that we can clearly preach against, but the great fall was brought about by deceitfulness from satan, by tricking woman as to where her postition was with God, Sound familiar ? But preacher look at all the great works that women preachers are doing for God! but Church remember, that even satan can be a light, and have his demons behind the pulpits, and also remember there where some that were cast out that said Lord but look at all these great works that we did in your name, and Jesus said depart from me I never knew You. not saying that is applies to women pastors, just saying doing great works in the Name of Jesus is not proof of being in His will, as clearly as scriptures has pointed out. My religion is a religion made of love and reverence and I show my love by my reverence. Man must not live by bread alone, but by every Word that comes from God

Edited by His_disciple3, 02 February 2013 - 02:16 PM.

His_disciple3

His_disciple3

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

should I be concern what scriptures says or what science threads have said, scriptures says that we must believe that He Is , not that He might be! if it is theory it ain't faith, if not faith then no religion!

Heb_11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,499 posts

should I be concern what scriptures says or what science threads have said, scriptures says that we must believe that He Is , not that He might be! if it is theory it ain't faith, if not faith then no religion!

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him....

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

Beloved, The "Science" Threads At Worthy Are Loaded With Scripture

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

Yet Many Still Claim The Name Of Christ

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

While Placing "Theory"

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? Isaiah 29:16

Over Scripture

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

You See

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. Jude 1:3-4

Joshua-777

Joshua-777

Royal Member

• Worthy Prayer Partner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts
For me, it is a passionate love affair that burns deep within my heart. Jesus was so in love with us that He gave everything for us. It is the revelation of His love that will drive us to love others the same. I don't follow Jesus because I just believe it's the right way, or because I am afraid of His wrath. I follow Him because I am passionately in love with Him. I love the beauty of His character and as I get to know Him more, I fall more in love with Him. I feel His love. It fills me until I am overflowing. This passionate romantic love goes way beyond the limits of human affection. He speaks love to the deepest parts of my heart. I serve Him because I love Him. His love is poured on my heart by the Holy Spirit.

It is His love that will drive me into the craziest situations to share His love with others. Paul said he was "Compelled by love" The word compelled means, trapped, forced into. He had such a revelation of His love that he couldn't help himself, that love was His driving force. How can we truly love others without the warm embrace of His love. We can have the actions of loving others but if it doesn't reach our hearts and bring out our compassion, I don't believe it's love. He is love.

2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; 15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.
Romans 5:5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Romans 8:37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ephesians 3:14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

John 15:9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

John 17:26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19 We love Him because He first loved us.

Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

I heard a story one time, a young lady married her highschool sweatheart. On their honeymoon night, he roles out this long list of demands he wanted her to do to win his aproval. He had no affection for her but had a demand that she would be "the perfect wife." Her husband ended up dying and later on she marred another man who was passionatly in love with her and she loved him with her whole heart. This was the man of her dreams. A few years go by and she's looking through her old stuff. She finds the list of demands burried in her closet so she starts reading them and realizes she was doing all of them naturally out of love for her new husband.

Romans 7:4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network