christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Casual, Cultural Christianity Is Leading People to Hell

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
David Platt spoke on the issue of discipleship at this year's Verge Conference, asking what it means to know Christ biblically and to be an actual disciple of Jesus Christ. "How we answer the question will affect in every way how we make disciples," Platt told thousands of attendees Friday at the The Moody Theater in Austin, Texas.

"We're living in a day when it means almost nothing to be a Christian," said Platt, sharing recent statistics that show many self-professed believers in the U.S. are "marginally committed to Jesus," which he said shows that many are "deceived" about their relationship with Christ.

"There are a whole lot of people in our country who think that they are Christians but they are not," he added, noting that there are many Americans who "culturally identify themselves as Christians and biblically are not followers of Christ." He cited Jesus as saying in Matthew 7:21 of the Bible that "not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven."

Read more: http://www.christian...-to-hell-91058/

goldust59

goldust59

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
That is so true and I believe God is fixing to give a mighty wake up call.

Hippie333

Hippie333

Veteran Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
you know ....I think I read somewhere where we were told things would be this way ;)

wingnut-

wingnut-

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
Yes hippie, there was even talk of families themselves turning on each other, mothers against daughters, fathers against sons, and so on ;)

nChrist

nChrist

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts
It's very sad that some people think that all being a Christian means is to warm a church pew one hour a week.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,829 posts

David Platt spoke on the issue of discipleship at this year's Verge Conference, asking what it means to know Christ biblically and to be an actual disciple of Jesus Christ. "How we answer the question will affect in every way how we make disciples," Platt told thousands of attendees Friday at the The Moody Theater in Austin, Texas.

"We're living in a day when it means almost nothing to be a Christian," said Platt, sharing recent statistics that show many self-professed believers in the U.S. are "marginally committed to Jesus," which he said shows that many are "deceived" about their relationship with Christ.

"There are a whole lot of people in our country who think that they are Christians but they are not," he added, noting that there are many Americans who "culturally identify themselves as Christians and biblically are not followers of Christ." He cited Jesus as saying in Matthew 7:21 of the Bible that "not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven."

Read more: http://www.christian...-to-hell-91058/

Our churched youth are also casualities of this kind of lukewarm Christianity. Currently 75% of churched youth abandon the faith after graduating high school. Many cite the pressues they face in college life, both from fellow students and from their professors. Many of our youth are not armed with critical thinking skills when it comes to their faith and have never faced the challenges they will encounter in university life.

angel_uk

angel_uk
  • Members
  • 92 posts
This scares me a lot because I think I might be one of those lukewarm Christians.

I wasn't brought up in a Christian home and am the only believer in my family and none of my local friends believe in God either. I am church hunting in a timid sort of way and I feel like I should be doing something with purpose or more meaning with my life. I just float along! I am trying to do what is right but am not 100% clear on what that is. I read my Bible (trying to get organised and read every day) but find it hard to relate to modern life. I don't want to cut myself off from my friends who aren't believers as I wouldn't have any left! I am stricter with myself than I used to be - there are films, books, and cds, that I avoid as well as avoiding drunken nights out. But I feel like I should be doing more.

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

This scares me a lot because I think I might be one of those lukewarm Christians.

I wasn't brought up in a Christian home and am the only believer in my family and none of my local friends believe in God either. I am church hunting in a timid sort of way and I feel like I should be doing something with purpose or more meaning with my life. I just float along! I am trying to do what is right but am not 100% clear on what that is. I read my Bible (trying to get organised and read every day) but find it hard to relate to modern life. I don't want to cut myself off from my friends who aren't believers as I wouldn't have any left! I am stricter with myself than I used to be - there are films, books, and cds, that I avoid as well as avoiding drunken nights out. But I feel like I should be doing more.

A Christians relationship with God isn't based on what we do, it's based on what Jesus has done. God doesn't love you any more or any less based upon the good things that you do. The deeds that we do, are in fact, given to us by God, so that He gets the glory - not us.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:10

That being said, it's better if you found a good church and cultivated friendships with strong Christians.

Remember: "Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character." (1 Corinthians 15:33)

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
We are either in the process of resisting God's truth or in the process of being shaped and molded by His truth.

Dr.Charles Stanley

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

You don't sound lukewarm to me, angel. You're seeking and trying to define yourself as a believer; a lukewarm Christian just vegetates. You needn't cut yourself off from your secular friends but you DO need a church home. And I'm right there with you in that; I'm trying to find one myself. You'd think it would be easy; Houston has a church on nearly every corner. Still not easy.

Tinky

Tinky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

And I'm right there with you in that; I'm trying to find one myself. You'd think it would be easy; Houston has a church on nearly every corner. Still not easy.

I concur. I'm looking also for a new church. Most of the ones in my area have gone all "seeker-sensitive," "purpose-driven," or "emergent." :12:

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts
I have not been to a church in quite some time.I was not comfortable at the one I attended.I since have not found another church that I am comfortable at.Oh well maybe the Lord will lead me to one someday. :mgcheerful:

AceDude

AceDude
  • Members
  • 65 posts
Leads to an interesting question then, is there a litmus test to being a Christian? I thought if you accepted the Lord as your Savior and followed His Commandments, you were a Christian?

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
Ace how would you define a Christian? You mention you've been a Believer all your life. Particularly I'm curious who is Jesus Christ to you?

Regarding a "litmus test"... You will know them by their fruits... wouldn't you agree?

God bless,
GE

Gal. 5:16-26
Walking in the Spirit

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

AceDude

AceDude
  • Members
  • 65 posts
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. He is my ally and friend. Fruits of my life: 15 years of marriage, a child, a career of helping people and working with disadvantaged people. Care to cast the first stone?

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
Ace you misunderstand.

The first line was a personal curiosity re: Christian and Jesus Christ. Particularly as I am a Moderator (Servant).

The second line was responding to your question on how do we know Christians. No stones my friend. :thumbsup:

God bless,
GE

AceDude

AceDude
  • Members
  • 65 posts
:-)

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,642 posts

Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. He is my ally and friend. Fruits of my life: 15 years of marriage, a child, a career of helping people and working with disadvantaged people. Care to cast the first stone?

No stone just some scriptural advice.

Fruits of my life: 15 years of marriage, a child, a career of helping people and working with disadvantaged people. Care to cast the first stone?

This is not what you or anyone else will be judged on. While it is good, it means nothing regarding your salvation. Do you understand why?

angel_uk

angel_uk
  • Members
  • 92 posts

A Christians relationship with God isn't based on what we do, it's based on what Jesus has done. God doesn't love you any more or any less based upon the good things that you do. The deeds that we do, are in fact, given to us by God, so that He gets the glory - not us.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:10

That being said, it's better if you found a good church and cultivated friendships with strong Christians.

Remember: "Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character." (1 Corinthians 15:33)

Unconditional love is a tough thing for me to grasp. I feel like I should be doing more to prove myself and to try and deserve it.

I know that being around certain people does corrupt me - especially some of the people I work with. I really need to find a church!

You don't sound lukewarm to me, angel. You're seeking and trying to define yourself as a believer; a lukewarm Christian just vegetates. You needn't cut yourself off from your secular friends but you DO need a church home. And I'm right there with you in that; I'm trying to find one myself. You'd think it would be easy; Houston has a church on nearly every corner. Still not easy.

I do feel like I am drifting along a little - not really making any progress. I keep praying though! Hopefully the steps I am supposed to take will become a little clearer!

AceDude

AceDude
  • Members
  • 65 posts
To me if you recognize Jesus as your Savior you are acknowledging that anything you have accomplished in life that is good is because of Him. So yes I do understand that.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network