Genuine question - I do not want to start an argument, or even debate for its sole sake, but to truly understand:
Why are there so many denominations in the Christian faith, when in our faith we should be unified in Christ and not in the teachings/traditions of men, where one group believe they hold more/all truth compared to all the others - knowing that our faith in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and His Word are the centre that holds us together?
I truly hope I don't open a can of worms here, and if I don't receive any replies I'll understand. I just really want to know.
Hi Zion. I hope my answer can be of some help. Concerning why there are so many Christian denominations, I try to refer folks to:
1 Corinthians 1:10-31
10) Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11) For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12) Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14) I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15) Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16) And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
17) For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21) For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22) For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23) But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24) But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25) Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26) For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29) That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31) That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
1 Corinthians 3:1-23
1) And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2) I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3) For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4) For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5) Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6) I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7) So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
8) Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
9) For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
10) According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11) For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12) Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13) Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14) If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15) If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
16) Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17) If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
18) Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19) For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20) And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
21) Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
22) Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
23) And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
I love this: And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's. Well, I hope that's helpful.