christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Essentials, nonessentials, and love

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I was noticing a thread about dispensational beliefs and heresy.  But had to do something before I could address it, and when I came back to Worthy it was gone.  It remind me of a motto that many Moravian Brethren have quoted: In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, in all things love.  This saying actually came from Marco Antonio de Dominis: And we would all embrace a mutual unity in things necessary, in things not necessary liberty, in all things charity.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement so much if someone tells me, there is another way to eternal life without Jesus, I would call this heresy.  But even though i'm definitely not a dispensationalists, I see this as being more of an non essential   Just as having a mixed Baptist/Brethren view on Baptism (that is Brethren as in the Anabaptist Group, not the Plymouth Brethren), I would not question someone mode of Baptism.  For many believe in sprinkling to be baptize, while I believe in being immersed not once but three times.  I believe that One Saved always Saved, and I guarantee you that many hold a different view on this subject.  But my views on the end times, baptism, and eternal security aren't essentials.

We are told in Psalms 133 it is good for Brethren to dwell together in Unity.  I once heard a pastor teaching on Psalms 23:5--Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies, thou anointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over.   Pastor Castle stated that shepherds in ancient Israel would anoint the sheep heads with oil because they love to fight with each other, by ramming their head into each other and often injuring each other, so with the oil upon the sheep heads when they tried to rammed each other they just simply slide off each other.  I truly believe that we as Christian need this anointing oil upon our heads, so that when someone crosses our line on a pet peeve, that God is not concern with, and we go to rammed them head on as they do unto us, we will just slide off each other.

Paul tells us:

33)  Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect?  It is God that justifieth.

34)  Who is he that condemneth?  It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Romans 8:33-34

When we start to question our brothers and sisters in Christ on nonessential issues we tread on a very dangerous road.

13)  For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

14)  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

15)  But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

Galatians 5:13-15

As the passage in I Corinthians 11:18-19 states there were division in the Church of Corinth, Paul speaks of these division as making the Corinthians carnal, I Corinthians 1:11-13; 3:1-11.  IMO we need to remember that we have different opinion on some things in Christianity, but if we desire to eat the meat that belong to the mature we have to learn to overlook these differences that are classified as nonessential, Hebrews 5:12-14. 

i'm sure the person who wrote these comments about Doctor David Jeremiah and his views meant no offense, but we all need to be careful how we address other believers.  For God does not take lightly people questioning His elect.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,715 posts

Even if everyone here were to agree with that statement, we wouldn't agree on what is essential.  That is why you will never have complete unity. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network