christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

God's real name

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Pls I have an issue about God's name being Jehovah. It's not really Jehovah I know. It's YHWH but how is it pronounced?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Pls I have an issue about God's name being Jehovah. It's not really Jehovah I know. It's YHWH but how is it pronounced?

Yah-veh

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Some people say it's Yahovah. But it's not true.

jerryR34

jerryR34

Advanced Member

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I guess I would ask what the point of your question is?  Jesus' name was most likely Jeshua, and in Spanish, the phonetic is Hey-Soos.  When you pray, he knows who you are talking to regardless of how you address him.  :)

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
The Israelites might have never pronounced YHWH because of the law that says "Thou shalt not take God's name in vain"

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,460 posts

~

The Only Issue

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. Joel 2:32

Is Who Will One Trust In

And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken. 1 Kings 18:24

Or Not

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

You

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:5

See

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

My LORD And My God

My Salvation

My Yeshua

My Jesus

I Love You So

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,715 posts

He is actually called by different names, and one of them is Jehovah.  As the Son, he is Jesus Christ.  In one instance, he is "I Am." 

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

When I'm addressing Him, I call Him Father. When I'm witnessing, I call Him God. 

He responds to either one.

:sad030:

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

The Israelites might have never pronounced YHWH because of the law that says "Thou shalt not take God's name in vain"

The Israelites used to pronounce the Name. It is in the Psalms repeatedly, which used to be sung every day in the Temple. During the Babylonian captivity, in order to not take God's Name in vain, they stopped pronouncing the Holy Name.

Most likely the pronunciation would be something like Yahweh, or Yahveh.  

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

When Moses asked God directly what his name was, his response was "Ehyeh ahser ehyeh." This is a statement of always being / existing with several applications.

1. I AM

2. I WAS

3. I WILL ALWAYS BE

Echoing the claims in the Greek New Testament "him who was and is and is to come."

It is also a statement of ultimate, eternal self sufficiency. I AM BECAUSE I AM.

YAH (I AM) is a prefix and a suffix for many Hebrew names including the Savior's YAHoshuah shortened to Yoshua and Yeshua. It can appear as YAH or YEH or YE or YAHU or YAHO or in Anglicanized versions of Hebrew names as IAH as in Isaiah (Yishayahu in Hebrew).

YHVH is essentially saying "HE IS."

Yahweh / Yahveh either way. As some have said here, God knows who you are talking to.

Matthew 28:19 (NASB95)
19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

There is only one name that applies to all three. YHVH. It can be just as applicable in the baptisms "in the name of Jesus" since the name of Jesus is YHVH shua.

Think of YHVH as a surname for God.

The incorrectly translated "Jehovah" came from Gentile copyists who did not realize the vowel points for adonai (lord in Hebrew) were placed under the tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the Hebrew scriptures to remind the reader to substitute "Adonai" for "YHVH" when reading aloud because (as you already said O.P.) the Jews mistook taking the name of God in vain as mispronouncing the name... and would not say it for fear of mispronouncing it. They also substituted it with "the name" (HaShem) and others. 

One other thing. God's intimacy with his children goes beyond verbiage of any human language. Think of it, when God speaks to your heart... is it with words or something else? Something more? 

It's like praying in Jesus' name means praying for what he stands for rather than tacking on to the end of of verbiage prayers (typically wants or needs or how we think things should be) with the spoken or thought out "in the name of Jesus I pray, amen."

In one sense, all our prayers as believers and therefore children of God are in the name of Jesus our Savior that makes us children of God through faith in him.

But James is quite right about not having because we do not ask and when we ask it is only to spend on our lusts... John says if we ask the Lord's will be done he hears us and if he hears us we know we shall have what we ask for. That is what it means to pray in the name of Jesus... "thy will be don in earth as it is in heaven." 

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
God's name may be Yahveh, Yahweh or on my own opinion, a name that I created from transliterating YHWH to IHVH and calling it "Ihouah"

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

God's name may be Yahveh, Yahweh or on my own opinion, a name that I created from transliterating YHWH to IHVH and calling it "Ihouah"

You can do that? Just make stuff up and call it real?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

That is not "transliterating."   Transliterating is when you create an English phonetic pronounciation out of a word that is not in our language. What you have done is change the name and then provide a pronunciation of a word that doesn't exist.   You have taken liberties that you simply are not given. 

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
K. Am sorry for that

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network