christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

I'm repenting from materialism

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

A few months ago I made a thread about repenting from found footage horror films, and I'm happy to say that I've kept my promise and I will not go back to horror films. For the past few years however, I've been drowning myself in materialism. Not drowning in a way a hoarder does, but the lust of my eyes. I have no problem throwing things away if it does not please me, because a hoarder has a problem keeping things. Lust, gluttony and greed are my sins here, and I am guilty. I've already made a decision, and I have thought hard about this.

On 1/1/14, I have decided not to buy anything (aside from food and survival things), I will not buy one material thing for one year. After the one year is done, I will turn to God when making decisions from now on and not buy out of lust, gluttony and greed. I always choose New years day to repent of these most difficult sins. To be honest, I am tired. My drug of choice is DVD's and clothing, and I have worn myself thin. I have given to the church however in purchasing many Bible films, but it is still so. Please forgive me Lord, and show me the way back to your heart. I wish not to have the heart of Solomon but rather Paul. I also need support and forgiveness from forum and fellow believers. Does anybody else have this sin lurking around them? Give me the strength and wisdom to understand these passages Lord and please show mercy on me. :(. Please show me your ways Lord Jesus.

Matt 6:25 Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

1 John 2:16 - For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

WIP

WIP

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Scripture tells us tha a contrite (repentent) heart The Lord will not despise. You have asked The Lord to show you His ways ...I believe the Holy Spirit is already showing you things in your life which need disposing of. We all have "things" that need to be disposed of in our lives you are not alone in that. Its recognizing them for what they are ...sin...and repenting from them....as we strive to walk in the spirit so the deeds of the flesh will fall away.. The Lord bless you my bro.

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
:th_handshake:

God bless you, Brother. I'll be praying for you.

I feel that I ought to warn you, however. You have asked God to help you understand Matthew 6:25, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?", and God just might choose to do it by taking everything away from you, and force you to depend only on his daily provisions. Yes, as if indeed you're in full-time ministry and depends only on what God provides for you through other people.

Scary thought, huh?

But you will learn a lot, I promise you. As I myself have learned a lot....

~

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts

"Things" do not matter in this life.God provides for what we need not what we want.I am not into keeping up with the Jones at all.Who has this new iPad who has this new computer.........

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Love ya DRS81, God bless you! :)

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

"Things" do not matter in this life.God provides for what we need not what we want.I am not into keeping up with the Jones at all.Who has this new iPad who has this new computer.........

Bopeep do you have the new IPad  what's it like ?  :D

Amen this life is about spiritual treasures not physical.  

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

How many times do you have to ask for forgiveness in order for the Lord to forgive you...

i'm feeling sick to my stomach about it all.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,123 posts

Bopeep do you have the new IPad  what's it like ?  :D

Amen this life is about spiritual treasures not physical.  

I think I said that I don't have any of that stuff.I do have a very,very old cell phone though.It rings and I answer it.That is all it does.When I use it and that is rare.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

How many times do you have to ask for forgiveness in order for the Lord to forgive you...

Once. 

Unless you have lingering doubts, then I don't know.

There's also that thing about forgiving others. If you're holding a grudge against anyone and expecting God to forgive you, you might want to pack a lunch. If we can't forgive the transgressions of others, we can't, in all honesty, expect the Father to forgive ours.

Ask and believe and it shall be done onto you.

:sad030:

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

Once. 

Unless you have lingering doubts, then I don't know.

There's also that thing about forgiving others. If you're holding a grudge against anyone and expecting God to forgive you, you might want to pack a lunch. If we can't forgive the transgressions of others, we can't, in all honesty, expect the Father to forgive ours.

Ask and believe and it shall be done onto you.

:sad030:

No one is to blame here but me. Forgiving myself is definitely the hardest part here. I'll get there though, tx man!

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

What else is left when there's nothing left to buy.

"What else is left when there's nothing left to say."

..wither away    wither away.

Hindsfeet

Hindsfeet

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Once you have repented with a sincere heart, it is nailed to the cross. Leave it there.

This is where the enemy can have a field day with you, the battlefield is in the mind.

We are no greater than our King to hold on to unforgiveness of ourselves, ,,, He is just to forgive us... from the east to the west....pick up your sword.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network