christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I like water

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

MrsRational

MrsRational

• Members *
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

I have been a lurker for many years and decided to register to see how fast people scream at me that I'm a liberal/leftist/whatever.

I was born in Canada, presumably to a mother and father. I'm a Methodist and Red Letter Christian. I have a masters degree in biology and another degree in psychology. I am particularly interested in the life sciences and the human brain. I'm also quite politically active so we'll see how short my tenure here is.

I'm also single recently married and childless so I have nothing but ample free time plenty of free time and disposable income to distract me from eating alone. Everyone feel free to break out your violins.

Edited by MrsRational, 29 December 2013 - 04:36 PM.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,484 posts

Welcome~!

donfish06

donfish06

• PipPip
  • 179 posts

I love water!

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Water's great, isn't it?  Welcome, and God bless you :)

WIP

WIP

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Hi there and welcome :grin:

cozmoe

cozmoe

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Welcome  :mgcheerful:

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Blessings MsRational,

Welcome to Worthy,I love the Living Waters......thirst no more!Glory to God!I am glad you decided to join in on the fun & fellowship......You love Jesus,He is your Lord & Savior......thats all that really matters,welcome,Sister in Christ!

With love,Kwik

Boash

Boash

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
Welcome to Worthy!

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,885 posts

I have been a lurker for many years and decided to register to see how fast people scream at me that I'm a liberal/leftist/whatever.

I was born in Canada, presumably to a mother and father. I'm a Methodist and Red Letter Christian. I have a masters degree in biology and another degree in psychology. I am particularly interested in the life sciences and the human brain. I'm also quite politically active so we'll see how short my tenure here is.

I'm also single and childless so I have nothing but ample free time and disposable income to distract me from eating alone. Everyone feel free to break out your violins.

Welcome tow Worthy :)

Hope you like it here. Hope you grow in your faith in Christ and find good fellowship.

God bless,

GE

Littlelambseativy

Littlelambseativy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Welcome from the great white north!

RDBlanton

RDBlanton
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Welcome to Worthy MsRational. I was born and raised in the high desert of New Mexico so water is very special to me too. The beach is my favorite place, when I can make it there. I have a daughter on the coast in California and another daughter on the coast in Florida. Love them all. In 2 Peter 3:5 the word says that in the beginning the world was formed out of water and by water. 1 John 5:6 sats that Jesus Christ came by water and by blood, and each one of us come by water in our mother's wombs. So I think water is special to God as well. Bless You brother and Happy Holidays.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,733 posts

I'm also single and childless so I have nothing but ample free time and disposable income to distract me from eating alone. Everyone feel free to break out your violins.

What is a "red letter Christian?"  How does that differ from other Christians?  Why would we scream you are a leftist?  Is that your whole objective for being here, to promote liberalism?  I would love to hear your interpretation of scripture, as well as your testimony.  Welcome to WB.

EndSeeker

EndSeeker

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

okay i had to search "Red letter Christian" so i'll save everyone else a google search and copy/paste

The goal of Red Letter Christians is simple: To take Jesus seriously by endeavoring to live out His radical, counter-cultural teachings as set forth in Scripture, and especially embracing the lifestyle prescribed in the Sermon on the Mount.

Ironically, it was a secular Jewish country-and-western disc jockey in Nashville, Tennessee who first suggested that title. During a radio interview with my friend Jim Wallis, that deejay declared, “You’re one of those Red-Letter Christians – you know, the ones who are really into all those New Testament verses that are in red letters!” When Jim said, “That’s right!” he answered for all of us. By calling ourselves Red Letter Christians, we refer to the fact that in many Bibles the words of Jesus are printed in red. What we are asserting, therefore, is that we have committed ourselves first and foremost to doing what Jesus said.

So yeah thats cool,.. i don't think its a denomination tho right? I mean other denominations or non-denominations

can still and should do what Jesus said without being "a red-letter" Christian... correct? just a thought...

EDIT: okay i forgot you mentioned you were Methodist and Red Letter, still i don't quite understand...

Edited by EndSeeker, 15 December 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,619 posts

I was thinking while watching Madiba's funeral today. Love him or not, he was an amazing man who saved a country from itself, and will go down in history as a colossus of a man. Now he's dead, and all that counts of his life is that he was saved and is now with Jesus.

The rest kind of does not mean anything right now does it?

Violins are kind of hard to learn to play, and unless you get it right they sound like cats fighting. So I will leave mine in it's case.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,733 posts

okay i had to search "Red letter Christian" so i'll save everyone else a google search and copy/paste

The goal of Red Letter Christians is simple: To take Jesus seriously by endeavoring to live out His radical, counter-cultural teachings as set forth in Scripture, and especially embracing the lifestyle prescribed in the Sermon on the Mount.

Ironically, it was a secular Jewish country-and-western disc jockey in Nashville, Tennessee who first suggested that title. During a radio interview with my friend Jim Wallis, that deejay declared, “You’re one of those Red-Letter Christians – you know, the ones who are really into all those New Testament verses that are in red letters!” When Jim said, “That’s right!” he answered for all of us. By calling ourselves Red Letter Christians, we refer to the fact that in many Bibles the words of Jesus are printed in red. What we are asserting, therefore, is that we have committed ourselves first and foremost to doing what Jesus said.

So yeah thats cool,.. i don't think its a denomination tho right? I mean other denominations or non-denominations

can still and should do what Jesus said without being "a red-letter" Christian... correct? just a thought...

EDIT: okay i forgot you mentioned you were Methodist and Red Letter, still i don't quite understand...

Hopefully MsRational will give us her interpretation of what the term means, because Shiloh gave an entirely different view of what a red letter Christian is.  The only one who knows for sure what the meaning is would be MsRational. 

MrsRational

MrsRational

• Members *
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

An in depth response...

Red letter Christians emphasize the words of Jesus Christ and try to live according to his teachings. In all cases if Jesus's own words and another persons words conflict, the words of Jesus win every time. We believe that certain "Christian" churches and groups have become over-obsessed with certain sexual sins, and usually but not always extremely right wing and libertarian politics. We believe in a consistency pro-life ethic including but not limited to:

Opposition to the death penalty.
Opposition to euthanasia.
Opposition to abortion.
Opposition to the culture of death including guns and wars of aggression.

Although red letter Christians can personally pursue political beliefs and policy we will not claim Jesus endorses one party, policy or candidate. The Lord is not a Liberal or a conservative and any attempts to make him out to be is heretical and forbidden in Revelation.

Revelation 22:19
I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. 20 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.…

Basically, don't put words in Gods mouth and don't ignore what you don't like.

We believe there is a biblical mandate to defend the weak and impoverished.

Deuteronomy 15:7

“If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother"

Leviticus 19:9 - 10

"'When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest.'Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.…"

Luke 3:10 -11

10 And the crowds asked him, “What then shall we do?” 11 And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

Deuteronomy 15:10

10 You shall surely give to him, and your heart should not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your works and in all to which you put your hand.

Isaiah 10:1-3

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar? To whom will you run for help? Where will you leave your riches?

Matthew 25:40

39 "When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You? 40 The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. 41 Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;…"

In other words, be very very careful how you treat the poor, the lost and downtrodden. Because the way you treat them is the way you treat Christ. You will  notice none of these verses preludes with "If thou feelith like it..." Give generously, don't snarl, snap or whine about it. It also doesn't say "Thou shalt giveth unto the poor, except through thine government which is an abomination."

​Hebrews 13:17

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

Romans  13:1 - 2

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

I believe that Christians are not to sow discord, gossip, lie or otherwise provoke insurrection against their government. We are to honour the people God has chosen to place in charge.

Part 2 to come...

Edited by MsRational, 15 December 2013 - 06:12 PM.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,733 posts

That is interesting.  That scripture in Revelation is dealing specifically with adding to or taking away from the prophecy of that one book.  It has nothing to do with calling God liberal or conservative.  There was a lot of reference to the OT law.  The same OT tells us we should have a death penalty for murderers, and it also expands the death penalty to include many other transgressions.  Why shouldn't we follow those mandates as well as those when it comes to helping the poor?  The scriptures in the NT about helping the poor are always dealing with an individual doing so, not the government.  We are to do so voluntarily and cheerfully as God puts it in our heart.  While it is true we are not to rebel against the government, our supreme authority is the U.S. Consitution, and when that document is violated, we have every right to stand against those in authority, as they are violating the very laws they claim to be upholding. 

I do agree with you on some points.  I am opposed to abortion and euthanasia, and I am opposed to war unless it is necessary to protect us from outside aggressors.  Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. 

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

An in depth response...

Red letter Christians emphasize the words of Jesus Christ and try to live according to his teachings. In all cases if Jesus's own words and another persons words conflict, the words of Jesus win every time. We believe that certain "Christian" churches and groups have become over-obsessed with certain sexual sins, and usually but not always extremely right wing and libertarian politics. We believe in a consistency pro-life ethic including but not limited to:

Opposition to the death penalty.
Opposition to euthanasia.
Opposition to abortion.
Opposition to the culture of death including guns and wars of aggression.

Although red letter Christians can personally pursue political beliefs and policy we will not claim Jesus endorses one party, policy or candidate. The Lord is not a Liberal or a conservative and any attempts to make him out to be is heretical and forbidden in Revelation.

Revelation 22:19
I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. 20 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.…

Basically, don't put words in Gods mouth and don't ignore what you don't like.

Hello MsRational,

I haven't heard of Red Letter Christians before this is interesting. I'm not surprised to see another Christianese term though :D

Firstly when you say you take Jesus' words over any other person's words do you mean inside or outside scripture ? I haven't found any contradiction between Jesus' words and any other Bible writings.

I may suggest by using the Revelation verse concerning that Book perhaps you are falling into the category it describes because you are indeed adding to it's meaning.  :D  I will suggest you are simply mistaken though.

stirstik

stirstik
  • Members *
  • 97 posts

I like water to, it serves a great purpose with my Mr.Noodles addiction. I'm glad you're here

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

May I ask what is most important to your religion? Do you have a relationship with God? I hope you found  a job after finishing your study?

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network