christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

certain scholars say there is a contradiction between Gen 1 and Gen 2:

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

jpett

jpett
  • Members
  • 28 posts

In Genesis 1 God creates vegetation BEFORE he creates man, and in Genesis 2 he creates vegetation ONLY AFTER he creates man. Are these contradictory accounts?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

In Genesis 1 God creates vegetation BEFORE he creates man, and in Genesis 2 he creates vegetation ONLY AFTER he creates man. Are these contradictory accounts?

No. 

Genesis one and two are one account.  The problem is that the chapter and verse breaks in the Bible are arbitrary and didnt exist until the 13th century  and were put in place by a man named Stephen Langston.

There are good and bad chapter breaks and Genesis one and two are an example of a bad chapter break.  What "chapter two" does is summarize what was already said in chapter one.   The second part of the creation story narrows its focus down to day six and the event surrounding Adam and Eve.  It is not meant to be a chronlogical retelling of the first part of the creation account in Genesis one.  So there is no contradiction.

Omegaman

Omegaman

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
5 Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth and no plant had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground, 6 but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground. 7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

verse 8 the Hebrew for the verb planted is pluperfect, indicating a past completed action. No contradiction, just some translations of the bible are not as clear as they could be in English.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

5 Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth and no plant had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground, 6 but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground. 7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Excellent point, Omegaman :thumbsup:

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,536 posts

~

Beloved, Do You Know The Creator Knows

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

You Are Over Your Head

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

And Going Down

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Call Out

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

And Live

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? John 11:25-26

Love, Joe

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

It seems like the animals were created after Adam, to provide a companion for him.  I don't know how you can read it any other way.  To say that it is not a literal description of events seems rather. . . a stretch of imagination (I'll avoid other terminology here!).  Of course, most of the time I do a literal reading of a text, someone tells me a different interpretation is needed. The name for God is different here to my understanding.  What is the significance of that?

Edited by gray wolf, 11 December 2013 - 07:51 AM.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,536 posts

....It seems like the animals were created after Adam, to provide a companion for him.  I don't know how you can read it any other way....

~

Beloved~!

And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the third day. Genesis 1:11-13

I Have Observed That Sometimes It Seems Hard To Count

And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:24-25

Without A Number Line

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:26-27

ConnorLiamBrown

ConnorLiamBrown

Advanced Member

• Seeker
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

It seems like the animals were created after Adam, to provide a companion for him.  I don't know how you can read it any other way.  To say that it is not a literal description of events seems rather. . . a stretch of imagination (I'll avoid other terminology here!).  Of course, most of the time I do a literal reading of a text, someone tells me a different interpretation is needed. The name for God is different here to my understanding.  What is the significance of that?

I take a completely different approach to the text than most (if not all) given above.  I am always hesitant to make significant decisions based on an English version.  Perhaps the "had planted" is in the pluperfect; but the "made to spring up" is not.  Vegetation comes after man, and so do the animals it seems.

I believe the two accounts are meant to compliment each other thematically, not to conform chronologically.  Notice the inversion of heavens and earth in 1:4b.  The author is announcing that he is going to give the same themes from a different narrative perspective.

The first account (which ends at 1:4a) arranges days 1 -3 to correspond to days 4-6.  1/4, 2/5 , 3/6. where God fixes a "problem".  The problem?  the earth was void and empty.  In other words, the earth was uninhabitable (void) and without inhabitants (empty).  DAys 1-3 fix the first problem; days 4-6 the second. The point of this account is to reach the pinnacle of creation: the creation of man.

BTW this would have struck deep roots in the consciousness of an Israelite, the origin of which involves waters parting, dry land appearing, and man (in the form of Israel) being established (i.e. the Red Sea incident).  In selecting and redeeming Israel, God was in the act of a new creation.  This theme is reiterated in the flood narrative where God brings the world back to square one, and then "starts over" with Noah.  AGain, this theme finds its ultimate expression in the cross, where God destroys sinful creation and then creates perfect creation (in the form of the resurrected Christ)

I find this interpretation of the first account of creation in Genesis backed up by ancient customs.  It was typical in those days that temples were inaugurated by a 7 day festival, at the end of which the "idol" was brought into the temple: at this point it was thought that the idol was taking up dominion over the immediate land.  The "resting" of God in no way means He was "tuckered out".  Rather, the picture is that of a King/god sitting down on his thrown.  It is also significant the word for "image" (applying to man) is used everywhere outside of Genesis in association with "idols", and used negatively.  In other words, the point of the first account is to make two propositions:  it is the Lord who is God over the universe, and man/woman is His representative/idol; the whole earth (not bound to locality as the other gods) is His temple (the language of "work" and "keep" in 2:15 echoes the priestly roles given in Leviticus and numbers, corroborating this interpretation as man as God's representatives/image/idols).

The second account focuses on days 3/6, bringing them together.  Again, we have the theme of two problems: there is no rain, and no man to work what the rain would produce.  So God causes it to rain, and then creates man out of the dust (but probably mud).  If we insist on focusing on a "chronological" account, it is probably in the second, not the first.  But I don't think the author of Genesis cared a wit about that.  He was too interested in overthrowing the conventional beliefs in and about the gods, not in entering the debate between evolutionists and 6-day creationists.  

anyhow, a different take.

By the way, I gave this interpretation somewhere else and was lambasted as "mocking Christ".  I have no idea where that accusation came from; but I am a Christian.

clb

Edited by ConnorLiamBrown, 09 January 2014 - 02:22 PM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network