christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Woman wants to rent a family for Christmas

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,426 posts

When I first read this story it made me tear up....then I reread parts of it and realized that this woman has the real spirit of Christmas.  :mgbowtie:

http://shine.yahoo.c...-215805343.html

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Yes, she sure has the spirit. But the story would be even greater if God is in the picture....
~

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Blessings Everyone,

Interesting story,I seem to recall watching a movie with the same theme.......I believe that Mathew Mcdonoughey was the fellow that rented the family for Christmas?In any event,it makes me sad too know that there is no mention of our Heavenly Father,if Miss Turner could just know that she does have a real Father that loves her so much that it the reason we celebrate this day we call Christmas.....He sent His Only begotten that day so His Children could know Him as "Abba"...................Praise Jesus!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

The phrase: 'the spirit of Christmas' does not agree with me.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,550 posts

:thumbsup:

~

The

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Matthew 1:18

Spirit

Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. Matthew 1:19-20

Of

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:21-23

Christmas

Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS. Matthew 1:24-25

Hallelujah~!

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,426 posts

Why? 

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

Well, you prob think about the birth of Christ when you hear or read that...at least I guess you do...but it is my experience that most people using that phrase

mean things associated with Christmas that have developed and become traditions...such as giving, family, kindness etc...and nothing wrong with any of

those things.

But if you ask people, generally speaking, what that phrase means to them...I doubt the answer will be Christ's birth...but that is not a 'spirit' anyway

It is a one time event.   There are a lot of spirits in the world but only one Spirit that is of God.  There are many different kinds of ways of being happy

or whatever, and people tend to us the word spirit in association with those things that have nothing to do with the Bible.

I don't always get stuck on words that way, but  the use of the word spirit as is used at Christmas does not, as I already stated, agree with me.

It may be a concept you do or not see, but that is what I see.

OK...well I just typed 'what is the spirit of Christmas' into google search and like I stated, it seems the answers to that question are many and varied

If you want, try it for yourself and see what I mean.

I'm not trying to steal your op, so I won't get back on that one...like I said, just google and the answer is clear why I don't like the phrase.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,426 posts

Well, you prob think about the birth of Christ when you hear or read that...at least I guess you do...but it is my experience that most people using that phrase

mean things associated with Christmas that have developed and become traditions...such as giving, family, kindness etc...and nothing wrong with any of

those things.

But if you ask people, generally speaking, what that phrase means to them...I doubt the answer will be Christ's birth...but that is not a 'spirit' anyway

It is a one time event.   There are a lot of spirits in the world but only one Spirit that is of God.  There are many different kinds of ways of being happy

or whatever, and people tend to us the word spirit in association with those things that have nothing to do with the Bible.

I don't always get stuck on words that way, but  the use of the word spirit as is used at Christmas does not, as I already stated, agree with me.

It may be a concept you do or not see, but that is what I see.

OK...well I just typed 'what is the spirit of Christmas' into google search and like I stated, it seems the answers to that question are many and varied

If you want, try it for yourself and see what I mean.

I'm not trying to steal your op, so I won't get back on that one...like I said, just google and the answer is clear why I don't like the phrase.

I wish the article was more Christ-centered myself but it's not so we just have to deal with it the way it is.  When I say 'spirit of Christmas', in this case, I'm talking about the spirit (general idea) of giving rather than receiving. 

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

yeah...I'm not negating your thoughts or anything...it's the secular use of the word, as though Christmas is a secular holiday (by now it is in many peoples minds)

and nothing more than feelings that dissipate Dec 26th.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,426 posts

yeah...I'm not negating your thoughts or anything...it's the secular use of the word, as though Christmas is a secular holiday (by now it is in many peoples minds)

and nothing more than feelings that dissipate Dec 26th.

Right; it's a different thing for those that don't know Him.  Christmas is not the same holiday for them as for believers.  I love to see goodwill toward man but I think the true meaning of the season is lost on most people.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

I guess we pretty much agree....I will say though, that you do see some very kind acts from people who do not believe in God.  It goes to show that we really were created in His image  

Thanks MG

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,161 posts

Yes, she sure has the spirit. But the story would be even greater if God is in the picture....
~

Amen to that..  :mgcheerful:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,572 posts

~

Maybe that's a lesson for us too.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Blessings Everyone,

It is true what sevenseas is saying and we do know that the non-believer has yet not seen or heard......we could begin with pointing them to Luke 2:14....Just about everybody recites this verse at Christmas time never understanding that it was a multitude of heavenly hosts proclaiming to the world....."hey everyone....this day the Prince of Peace has finally arrived & God won't be mad at you anymore if you accept Him"....the GoodWill towards man comes from the Great I Am,our Heavenly Father............the promise of reconciliation lay in that manger that night!

Merry Christmas,with love in Christ

Kwik

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network