christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tetragrammaton

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Tyler47

Tyler47
  • Members
  • 39 posts

"The most obvious proof that Jehovah's Witnesses spell YHWH wrong as "Jehovah" is the fact that the letter "J" doesn't even exist in Hebrew, Greek, Latin."

http://www.bible.ca/jw-YHWH.htm

I thought this was pretty interesting. 

Most Hebrew Scholars translate YHWH as Yahweh, a verb form meaning "to be" which is backed up in scripture in Exodus where God reveals his name to Moses as "I AM THAT I AM".  How do some scholars come up with any other interpretation, such as YHVH, JHVH and JHWH?  Is there any Biblical support for these translations or are they just mistranslated?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

"The most obvious proof that Jehovah's Witnesses spell YHWH wrong as "Jehovah" is the fact that the letter "J" doesn't even exist in Hebrew, Greek, Latin."

Most Hebrew Scholars translate YHWH as Yahweh, a verb form meaning "to be" which is backed up in scripture in Exodus where God reveals his name to Moses as "I AM THAT I AM".  How do some scholars come up with any other interpretation, such as YHVH, JHVH and JHWH?  Is there any Biblical support for these translations or are they just mistranslated?

The word Jehovah is an attempt to take the three vowels of "Adonai"  and apply them to the Tetragrammaton.  YaHoVaH or as we say it in English, "Jehovah."  Jehovah is not a Hebrew word, in truth.

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Shiloh covered the error of the wrong vowels in Jehovah.

Now for the others. The third letter in the Tetragrammaton is the Hebrew letter 'vav'. It quite often has the sound 'v'. However, there was a time of transition, when the letter used to have the 'w' sound. So, some will say Yahweh, and some will say Yahveh. You will find in modern Judaism, which would not pronounce the Tetragrammaton, if they did, the 'v' sound would be used.

Now for JHVH. Hebrew does not have the letter J, or really the letter Y either. The name for the Hebrew letter which has the y sound, is yod. Hebrew has a different lettering, so neither Y or J exist in Hebrew. Hebrew does have yod, which has a sound similar to our modern Y, and Hebrew does not have any letter with a sound similar to the modern J. But, going back in history, with the Roman alphabet we use today, in Jesus time, there was no letter J in the alphabet. The letter J was added later, and when it was first added to the alphabet, it actually had the Y sound. I think Spanish, has the J which sound like a Y. So, J was used quite often for the y sound. But later, the J changed sounds and is no longer ever the sound of the Y. I think that is why people picked up the J from older writings, when the J had the Y sound, so Hebrew letters Yod, were transliterated to a J.    

Tyler47

Tyler47
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Should we use the divine name? 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

Hmmmmmmm   good question

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

I don't think it really matters.  Just don't profane it or use it vainly.

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

My opinion swings to yes, then no, then yes etc etc etc

In the book of Psalms, the divine Name is used many many times. During the reign of King David, praise and worship occurred in the Temple 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Some of the Psalms, written by David, were sung in the Temple. That means that the divine name was sung. So, from that example, the answer would be yes.  

On the other side, the reason the divine Name stopped being commonly used, is it became too familiar and people could blaspheme or misuse the Name. I hear the unsaved use Jesus as a curse word. And use the term, God, in common ways at inappropriate times. If the divine Name came into common use today, it would be misused.

I grew up not speaking the divine Name, as it was due the most highest of respect. Honestly, I find that some use it more like a new toy (my opinion and view).   

Tyler47

Tyler47
  • Members
  • 39 posts

My opinion swings to yes, then no, then yes etc etc etc

In the book of Psalms, the divine Name is used many many times. During the reign of King David, praise and worship occurred in the Temple 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Some of the Psalms, written by David, were sung in the Temple. That means that the divine name was sung. So, from that example, the answer would be yes.  

On the other side, the reason the divine Name stopped being commonly used, is it became too familiar and people could blaspheme or misuse the Name. I hear the unsaved use Jesus as a curse word. And use the term, God, in common ways at inappropriate times. If the divine Name came into common use today, it would be misused.

I grew up not speaking the divine Name, as it was due the most highest of respect. Honestly, I find that some use it more like a new toy (my opinion and view).   

I am the same way.  The main reason I ask is because Jesus called God the father and never said his name. 

Brother Paul

Brother Paul

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Yah'hoveh means the LORD who is...

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

I asked a friend at coffee yesterday about what she thought of using Gods Holy Name when speaking about him......    She thought for a minute and suggested we just call him Bill.    God knows everything and he knows when we are speaking to and about him so just to be safe we should cal him Bill.

After laughing about it for a bit we wondered if it really matters what we call him as long as we call him...    I'm still pondering on that.

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Most Hebrew Scholars translate YHWH as Yahweh, a verb form meaning "to be" which is backed up in scripture in Exodus where God reveals his name to Moses as "I AM THAT I AM". How do some scholars come up with any other interpretation, such as YHVH, JHVH and JHWH? Is there any Biblical support for these translations or are they just mistranslated?

You said that there is no letter "J" in Hebrew. What of Satan's name? Written perhaps as "sjws" or so. Not sure but sure that there is a letter j in the name.

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

You said that there is no letter "J" in Hebrew. What of Satan's name? Written perhaps as "sjws" or so. Not sure but sure that there is a letter j in the name.

There is no letter in Hebrew which sounds like 'j'. I am not sure what you are trying to say Satans name is.

In Hebrew Satan is HaSatan which means 'the adversary'.

In Hebrew, Lucifer is 'halal', which means shining one or morning star. . 

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Ok. Pls enlighten me more

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Ok. Pls enlighten me more

I'm not sure I can be of much help as I can not think of any other names for Satan other then the two I mentioned.  

Just for reference, the Hebrew alphabet is written in a different lettering system. Most of the letters have sound the same or similar to the first letter of the letter name. Following is the alphabet, or as it is called for Hebrew letters, alef bet.

Alef

Bet

Gimel

Dalet

Hey

Vav

Zayin

Het

Tet

Yod

Kaf

Lamed

Mem

Nun

Samek

Ayin

Pe

Tsade

Qof

Resh

Sin

Shin

Taw

I do not know how to put the actual Hebrew letter beside the names. Maybe someone else can do that.

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Is it vav or waw?

Tyler47

Tyler47
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Most Hebrew Scholars translate YHWH as Yahweh, a verb form meaning "to be" which is backed up in scripture in Exodus where God reveals his name to Moses as "I AM THAT I AM". How do some scholars come up with any other interpretation, such as YHVH, JHVH and JHWH? Is there any Biblical support for these translations or are they just mistranslated?

Actually if you look a little closer you will see that the first part of my post that is speaking about the "J" is in quotations..  Meaning I pulled that statement from somewhere else.  And I also put the link to where I found it right under it...  :clap:  

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Halal.  Some things make more sense now...

Patrick6099

Patrick6099
  • Members
  • 11 posts

I never understood why it is said in the Bible "blessed be the name of the Lord" until I learned that God's name was never mentioned by the Jewish people as a show of respect.  

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

i've always been taught that they didn't use the name for fear of accidentally blaspheming him.    One of hose hedge laws to keep you safe.

kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
But the bible says that any one that calls upon the name of The Lord shall be saved.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network