christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Judging an individual vs Judging the individual's behavior

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

Is it possible to pass judgment on someones' behavior without actually passing judgment on the individual himself?

This issue came up and I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject. 

I have my own opinion but I will hold off posting my answer for now so as not to influence anyone's thought's. 

Thanks.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

I think there is a difference, but it's usually marked with a very fine line.  Not impossible to do, but we do need wisdom to complete the task successfully.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts

If we  pass judgement on their behavior we are saying we know why they did what they did...which of course could very well be wrong

Soooooo, I'm going with no.  No you cannot pass judgement on behavior as you are addressing deeper issues.

However, you can easily say something is wrong or right.  

Was that a trick question?  Or am I out on a limb?

Would say more, but....   :emot-eyes: ...should be interesting                       

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,938 posts

man,I think that a person's behavior is a part of a person, the way they think and the choices they make.So it would be difficult to separate them.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,701 posts

Is it possible to pass judgment on someones' behavior without actually passing judgment on the individual himself?

This issue came up and I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject. 

I have my own opinion but I will hold off posting my answer for now so as not to influence anyone's thought's. 

Thanks.

I would say yes, it is possible to judge someone's behavior without judging the person.  I could see a deacon in the church come out of a Motel with someone other than his wife, and judge that his behavior is sinful.  At the same time, I can't say he is eternally condemned to hell.  For all I know, he will go home, realize he sinned, and fall down on his knees and repent.  The same thing could apply to nearly all behavior. 

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

man,I think that a person's behavior is a part of a person, the way they think and the choices they make.So it would be difficult to separate them.

I'm with Bopeep. Remember what Jesus said about recognizing false prophets?

"Beware of false prophets, who comes to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits" (Matthew 7:15-20, ESV, emphasis mine).

This passage can be easily applied to your question -- generally speaking, of course -- if we think of behavior as a kind of fruit in someone's life (which is not an unreasonable assumption), and keeping in mind that even the godliest man fall into sin sometimes. And so if you say that a person's behavior (fruit) is bad, then you are also saying that that person (tree) is bad.

As Bopeep said, it would be difficult to separate the two: the behavior and the person. Unless, of course, that person is an actor and is only pretending :)

~

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

I think this is judging the bahaviour.

Mat 18:15-17  Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 

I think this is judging the person.

(16)  But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.  (17)  And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

So yes it's possible to judge behaviour without judging the person.

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

I'm with Bopeep. Remember what Jesus said about recognizing false prophets?

"Beware of false prophets, who comes to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits" (Matthew 7:15-20, ESV, emphasis mine).

This passage can be easily applied to your question -- generally speaking, of course -- if we think of behavior as a kind of fruit in someone's life (which is not an unreasonable assumption), and keeping in mind that even the godliest man fall into sin sometimes. And so if you say that a person's behavior (fruit) is bad, then you are also saying that that person (tree) is bad.

As Bopeep said, it would be difficult to separate the two: the behavior and the person. Unless, of course, that person is an actor and is only pretending :)

~

Only God knows a person's heart, so I'm thinking judging the person (as in condemning, passing a judicial sentence) is not my place. However, there is nothing wrong with being a "fruit inspector" as I once heard an old preacher put it. Lost or saved, a person's life bears fruit. If the fruit is bad (example: a false teacher) its a good indication something is not right. Same thing if the fruit of the person's life is good, especially if you've had the chance to observe that person for a long time be it months or years. Its not so much "judgement" as it would be "decernment", I think.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network