christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Christian Rock Satanic?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
164 replies to this topic

GTC1187

GTC1187
  • Members
  • 30 posts
I love Christian rock, but I've seen it called satanic by many sources. I've tried switching to just gospel, but it isn't at all as enjoyable.
Is it okay to listen to Christian rock music?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,421 posts

I think it's ok to listen to 60's rock....  hasn't made me a demonic freak yet and I'm not driven to sin by it....  I don't think some bands are ok, but I think people make too much out of it altogether.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,407 posts

I listen to Christian Rock and Contemporary exclusively and I find nothing satanic about the music. 

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

That's like saying electric guitars are satanic, lol.  I won't pretend to know a lot about Christian rock but if it's to glorify Jesus there's no issue.

You could take the most satanic lyrics ever and sing them to a piano and choir.  It's the content not the package.  God judges peoples hearts and not the volume of their music.

GTC1187

GTC1187
  • Members
  • 30 posts
Okay, thanks for your answers!

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,878 posts

I love Christian rock, but I've seen it called satanic by many sources. I've tried switching to just gospel, but it isn't at all as enjoyable.

What is the reasoning for people calling it satanic?

Or what sources have called it as such?

Are you referring to music with a beat? What is "Christian Rock" to you?

God bless,

GE

GTC1187

GTC1187
  • Members
  • 30 posts
Well, apparently the term "rock n roll" is a 50's ghetto term for sexual relations taking place in the back seat of a car.
I've seen a bunch of sources say that satan was "musical" and that he leads people away from Jesus.
I love the music myself, but I worried about it being watered down/misleading.

BlessedByTheBest

BlessedByTheBest

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

In my humble opinion the question could be better phrased as:

What has historically been the quality of fruit that rock music has produced?  And based on that answer, should rock music be made to be "Christian"?

What does scripture say?

Eph 5:19  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 

Col 3:16  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 

the Word admonishes us to sing with melodious grace.
i would say that most rock music is more rhythmic than melodious.  the flesh is pleased by such beats and tempos.  someone once told me that if you place a baby near music with a beat, they will begin to gyrate.
if the speed of this rhythm is faster than the natural heartbeat, then the music can cause violence or aggression.  this is not to say that "Christian rock" can overtly produce this behavior, but anyone who has been to a rock concert before can testify to this.

of course there are lyrics to consider and the beliefs of the song's author, which reveal the spirit that is influencing the music.(the Spirit of Truth or the Spirit of Error)  and i'm sure these factors play a large role within the message the music projects to its listeners.
there are many forms of worship i am sure the LORD receives depending upon the heart of the worshiper.  but is the music the focus, or is Jesus Christ?

i believe that if a style of music can be labeled as of this world, then we must be able to define what style of music is of the kingdom of God.  where is the line drawn?  what glorifies Him?
i believe the Scriptures plainly reveal to us what type of praise our Heavenly Father is pleased with.  

God bless

BlessedByTheBest

BlessedByTheBest

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

anyways, as long as Jesus is not being glorified according to a style that represents the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, i guess i have no issues with it.... after all...

only the LORD knows their hearts.

Luke 9:49  And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. 
Luke 9:50  And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us. 

BlessedByTheBest

BlessedByTheBest

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Well, apparently the term "rock n roll" is a 50's ghetto term for sexual relations taking place in the back seat of a car.
I've seen a bunch of sources say that satan was "musical" and that he leads people away from Jesus.
I love the music myself, but I worried about it being watered down/misleading.

this is an interesting point.  holding hands around the campfire while singing kumbaya certainly isn't saving too many souls.  

let us pray that those who do not truly know Jesus come into a personal relationship where they are abiding in Him, and He in them.  and that even the fiery darts of the devil's kingdom be used to push sinners towards the foot of the cross.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I came across this one day as I was flipping through the scriptures.

John 10

22 Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter.

23 And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon's porch.

24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, "How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly."

25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me.

26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.

27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.

30 I and My Father are one."

The point here is, if you're putting God first in your life, Satan and his minions cannot draw you away from God. No one, I don't care who they are, can pull you away from the Lord. That includes "Christian Rock".

:sad030: 

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

Most of the arguments against Christian rock are based on the idea that rock style music is devil inspired.  That is an opinion, but can't be proven.  I don't see anything sinful about listening to Christian rock, but I don't see anything spiritual in it either.  To me, it is just entertainment.  You are listening to rock music with a more positive message.  If I want to listen to something for spiritual value, I listen to southern gospel, but even some of that has become fairly generic in the message, and almost secular.  It just comes down to whether or not you are convicted about it.  It might be that the Holy Spirit is showing you christian rock is wrong.  If you feel like it is sinful, don't listen to it.  At the same time, if you are ok with it, look at the reasons given for it being sinful, and if you don't find those reasons compelling, ignore them. 

Kali_Ko_Kat

Kali_Ko_Kat
  • Members
  • 43 posts

When my son was in high school he began listening to Christian rock. Some of it I liked, some I did not.  I took him to Christian rock concerts and sat out in the car until it was over. I saw teens and young people who were singing along to the music, saying amen and praise the Lord and praying when I sometimes got tired of sitting in the car and went inside. I heard testimonies by those in the band. And yes, on one occassion after the concert I heard people say they accepted Christ as a result of being at that concert.

My mother-in-law told me she thought it was "evil" and those who sang it were "ungodly" . My response was "who are you to judge?"

God knows the hearts of those who are Christian rockers. He knows if they are sincere and consider it a ministry. He knows He gave them their talent, a desire to sing their music and reach others for Him.

If just one person hears the music, if it touches his/her life, and leads that person to a life in Christ, then the music and the singers/groups have done what they wanted to do-which is reach more people for "believing in Him and have everlasting life".

For those who don't accept then, at least the seed will be sown and could bear fruit sometime down the road.

Edited by Kali_Ko_Kat, 15 December 2013 - 12:09 PM.

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Some of you guys seem like we aren't suppose to have any entertainment at all.  While it's a noble goal to have God in every single thing we see, hear, and do.  It just isn't practical nor do I think God wants us to be bored and boring.  Not every single thing of the world is necessarily evil either...  Do you like Pizza?  Well that's something we as humans created like many other enjoyable things.  Do you like art?  Should all our artwork be of Biblical scenes only?

Now please don't put words in my mouth and say I am promoting secular things.  It's just if I said all I watched were Christian shows and listened to Christian music I'd be a liar.  What's wrong with a good movie if it is not a sinful piece of trash?  Sure there's TONS of trash out there and bad things we should avoid. 

Some things are just neutral entertainment for entertainment purposes.  Yes I know it can be rough finding a show without a satanic or unGodly agenda.  Usually find myself watching cartoons, cooking shows, or classic movies because I don't have the desires of the world portrayed in most programs.  Most Christians I'm sure would agree that most modern programming doesn't even appeal to them.  But I don't see anything wrong with watching things for pure entertainment.  The new Hobbit is out and I'd sure like to go see it and don't see that I'm comitting a sin or it making me a violent person.

Take for example Spongebob...  I like Spongebob and fail to see anything satanic within it...  Yet not that many years ago Christians were saying he was gay and promoting homosexuality...  Uhh yeah..  There's not one sexual thing in that cartoon period.  If they'd ever taken the time to watch it they'd known Spongebob acts more Christian than some Christians.  Yes I know I'm a 42 year old man watching cartoons- and I don't care :grin:

God obviously enjoys variety by looking at how different people are.  We're told to make a joyful noise to the Lord...  Like I said earlier God examines the content and not the context.  The Lord accepts my out of tune songs to him as much as he accepts a song by a famous singer backed by a million dollar orchestra.

Personally I don't enjoy Christian rock but it isn't because it doesn't have a message.  I'm old fashioned like a lot of people here and when I think of praises to God- I think of traditional gospel music because that's how I was raised.  That doesn't mean I'm right just because I don't enjoy something.  Christian rock is obviously touching lives and having a positive influences over younger Christians.  Back in the days of David I'm sure they weren't singing the Gaither Gospel Hour.

One thing I know that is dangerous and that is calling a work of the Holy Spirit evil.  If the Holy Spirit is using Christian rock then far be it from me to say that it's evil and wrong.

As for certain beats that make you want to get up and move.  I don't see how they can be labeled evil, lol...  Even David danced before the Lord with all his might.  Went to plenty of concerts back in my day and the only one I saw people get violent was Nine Inch Nails with Marilyn Manson which has direct satanic overtones.

This really brings back a lot of memories of going to a hard core Pentecostal church in my youth.  Women didn't cut their hair or wear make-up and if she did probably labeled a whore and told to leave the church or change.  Some didn't own televisions etc... etc...  We can't just close our eyes and ears and live in a bubble.  It drove me away from God because I knew I could never be like those people.

Thank the Lord when I found out all those things aren't how you get to Heaven.  Thank God for Jesus and that he took every single one of our sins and cast them away.  Because I'm not perfect and won't ever be perfect.  There was only one perfect one and his name is Jesus.

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts

One point I do want to make about Christian rock is how that can be forced on people through guilt.  I think there is a certain segment of Christians that were taught all secular music is demonic, and they don't really like Christian music, but they listen to it because they feel they must, or give up music entirely.  I don't personally find any spiritual value in Christian rock, and I don't like it, so I won't listen out of guilt.  I would rather listen to 70s pop than Christian rock, and if I do want something spiritual, I will go with southern gospel.  The more I have observed the lifestyle of Christian singers and the industry as a whole, having been a DJ and music director, the more I have come to look at Christian music as not that much different than secular music.  The message is better, but the objective is making money.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Most of the arguments against Christian rock are based on the idea that rock style music is devil inspired.  That is an opinion, but can't be proven.  I don't see anything sinful about listening to Christian rock, but I don't see anything spiritual in it either.  To me, it is just entertainment.  You are listening to rock music with a more positive message.  If I want to listen to something for spiritual value, I listen to southern gospel, but even some of that has become fairly generic in the message, and almost secular.  It just comes down to whether or not you are convicted about it.  It might be that the Holy Spirit is showing you christian rock is wrong.  If you feel like it is sinful, don't listen to it.  At the same time, if you are ok with it, look at the reasons given for it being sinful, and if you don't find those reasons compelling, ignore them. 

Totally agree :thumbsup:

EndSeeker

EndSeeker

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

okay as i also listen to Christian Rock AND Christian METAL and does it glorify God? YES. and i would say a lot of it is very spiritual

there are misconceptions about these genres, but its good to watch interviews with these bands to know their story and what exactly it is they believe, and then you see their heart is in the right place, and as long your heart is to, its great to have that influence from music as long as you always put God first, as those bands do. so there are no worries.. With Christian Metal, they have low tuned guitars, blast beats, and vocals that have high and low pitched screams, but they glorify God with passion!!! Lyrics such as

"" With tongues of fire, every man shall hear! The Son has risen, every man shall hear!
Blood and tears were not shed in vain. But they were shed with a purpose in mind..
Spirit descend for our work is done here. Tongues of fire spew forth and let these men hear. SPIRIT DESCEND!
With tongues of fire, every man shall hear!The Son has risen, every man shall hear! The Son has risen, and the end is near! ""

Very direct,  passionate and heavy!!! and the end times are heavy and a topic, that isn't popular in the church often

but it puts me in check and gets me thinking about my salvation, many bands also quote verses directly from the Bible.. and this is a new, young generation which this mainly speaks to, and these bands often share the testimonies and the Gospel from the stage and/or after the show and reach out to their fans.. and its practically a form of evangelism i would say, many ungodly men listen to secular metal, but if they find a Christian metal band they like and decide to come to Christ, they don't have to change the genre of music to listen to and these bands shine the light in dark places, they often tour with secular bands and set good examples on and off stage, or their is a worldwide tour that happens once a year called Scream the Prayer which consists of all Christian Metal bands

and i had the opportunity to meet the guys in For Today, real cool dudes, they know whats up. They're legit, and they put direct messages in their lyrics like if you claim to be a Christian, so be it but get your head in the game and live it.. so not fake about it

and they have kept me on the right path countless times so is it okay to listen to Christian Rock / Metal ???

Why yes, of course!!! i hope i made that obvious now :)

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,921 posts

It all depends on the lyrics.Search them before you listen to a song.If they have any nonchristian lyrics then don't listen to it.As a Christian we need to put Christ first in our lives and that means letting go of alot of worldly things.Their are many songs I used to love but I do not listen to then any longer because it takes away from my walk with the Lord.

EndSeeker

EndSeeker

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

It all depends on the lyrics.Search them before you listen to a song.If they have any nonchristian lyrics then don't listen to it.As a Christian we need to put Christ first in our lives and that means letting go of alot of worldly things.Their are many songs I used to love but I do not listen to then any longer because it takes away from my walk with the Lord.

Something else i forgot to add, you reminded me of is, some Christian Rock / Metal bands have lyrics that don't necessarily talk

about God... but in those cases they are often written about relationships, or life struggles through the perspective AS a Christian

and also with Christian Metal, sure they scream with passion, and have low tuned guitars etc. but a lot of bands have regular

"clean" singing with beautiful melodies and quite a few of these bands write acoustic songs / worship songs

so its not all blast beats and ultra heavy

KC02

KC02

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

It's certainly not "devil music." God gave us the ability to play music and sing. Like everything else, the devil has tried to hijack it to edify himself. But he doesn't own any genre of music.

I'm surprised that so many churches still sing songs that are 100 or 200 years old and believe that God put his stamp of approval on these exclusively. Even Elvis, the "King of R&R," got old after awhile. I will not go to a church that is going to torture me with that type of music week after week.

To me, Christian "rock" music isn't entertainment, but a way for me to praise and worship the Lord. So --- listen to whatever you like if it edifies the Lord. We are not all going to like the same kind of music.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network