christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kefir grains and/or Kombucha?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Hey all, Grace and peace to you.

I didnt know where to post this, whether this was the proper forum or the hobby forum woud have been better, because it would sorta be a little of both I would think.

I was curious if anyone here tried playing with water kefir grains or Kombucha?

I never tried either but I am looking for a few hobbies to busy myself with and two of them really interest me at present.

So I ordered a couple of books and small pieces of equipment needed to take these up and was curious if anyone here has experimented with either?

Oh yeah, and brewing root beer too, I almost forgot. I really like that Virgils root beer and theres a pretty decent root beer brewing video over at you tube I have a good feeling about and I wanted to give that a go, I just have to order all the ingredients and extra bottles.

Anyone else have any luck doing any of these? I am more interested in the water kefir grains and the root beer brewing though.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

I'm making milk kefir :)

What would you like to know about it?

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Hi angels, nothing bout milk kefir sis, I would do that if I had raw milk convenient to me, but i dont. 

I am more interested in the carbonation that come of the waters grains, and which organic juices are a really good combination for bottling them. But also concerning the bottles, which are the best to use and the chancing of them busting at all.

Like what luck with flavors has folks had with them.

I looked up organic black cherry (not because I like it) but my husband loves black cherry (everythng) and thought I would give that a try.

Amazon had an organic concentrate of it also, and was curious whether I could use that (and in what quantities).

I believe I am to use something like 4 parts kefir waters to one part juice, not sure, but a concentrate sorta throws me off there.

Just stuff like, what folks have tried. Im even curious if natural brewed (uncarbonated) root beer can be taken up by these grains and made carbonated that way?

Tons of questions before I try it but looking forward to experimenting with them too.

Can you do chocolate milk kefir? lol

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Kool!

I just searched  "root beer and kefir" and they come up together, so others have wondered much the same.

And yanno, I hadn't thought to look for a kefir forum of some kind and there's many of them on the internet

I should have taken my questions on these things there rather then here,  that really wasn't so brilliant of me.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

lol have fun:)

I like my milk kefir and often make it from goats milk.

This recipe looks very interesting too:

http://wellnessmama....ral-ginger-ale/

I don't think you can make chocolate milk...

I'm very interested   to hear how your recipes turn out...!

I have my kefir on the go for about 1 year .

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Thanks angels4u, ironically I have goats but I don't have goat milk LOL

(Im out of luck) no momma's and I love feta cheese too.

I couldn't get down to milk them anyways if I had them, although if I can find someone to build me a standing up (milking station) I am so there.

My husband thinks those Nubian babies are so adorable and we might be able to go there, not sure. We have pygmies now.

Awh com on sis, you mean you cant do that milk kefir and then just squirt a bunch of hersheys syrup in the batch?

LOLOL

But yeah, that site is perfect, that's what I am looking for recipe, Im not much of a ginger ale person, but even still I want various recipe to try. And I just think its so cool that you can brew carbonation, how awesome is that? I like sparkling water too.

I want to try root beer and black cherry, white grape, strawberry and various others.

It just didn't dawn on me they had forums on this. I definitely got to sift through a bunch of instructions. Some folks have the gift of simplicity and can tell you how to get the desired effects without getting all complicated on you.

Okay, Im too excited, Im gonna do this

I think you should try strawberry kefir milk and tell me how that is going for you.

Like stick a bunch of strawberries in there.

I need a cow LOL There is so much stuff you can make with raw milk Im jealous of folks who can get raw milk.

Yeah, I'll repent of that (after I click submit)

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

lol I did try to ferment other stuff before with the milk kefir and believe it can be done.

I did try a new recipe this weekend which turned out nice:

2 thinly slice lemons,add piece thinly sliced ginger ,put the 2 together in mason jar and fill with honey.

You can make tea with this ,it taste delicious and will stay good for 2 months in the fridge.

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Your kidding me? You are putting lemons into milk kefir??

Don't that make a sort of buttermilk substitute? LOL

(with a little ginger flavor?)

Hey Im an ice tea buff, if I can keep a living ice tea thang going here that would be awesome. That's why I was looking up that Kombucha, even though that looks gross. Both kinds have to be fed with sugar it seems

Then I was looking up how easy it would be to grow sugar cane (for feeding it) and that's pretty easy from what I read, you can even grow it in the south.

Okay, I am getting so psyched to do this, I need some neat hobbies to undertake. And Im trying to do more stuff and not spend as much time with the gift of gab online and so far so good with finding things, this is fun. I thought it would be harder to do but theres lots of weird things just waiting to be undertaken.

My husband used to like that artificial strawberry milk, I thought, if angels4u has made strawberry kefir milk I just might take that up too, just for trying to slip it past him once or twice.

He'll never know.

I mean, if I told him live things made what he was drinking he would never drink it so I must do this on the sly LOL

Okay, Im going to do milk kefir too, and just for that experiment, to see if I can make strawberry milk and to see if I can hide this stuff well enough to get him to drink it.

Since its good for him.

But its just like getting him to eat his vegetables, if he knows (or can see them) he will refuse.

How would I do that if I tried it angels?

Get the milk grains, then put them into the milk, but for how long?

Do the milk grains just eat the milk sugar or do you need to feed them besides just adding them to the milk?

Im not sure on the milk ones.

But then when (if ever) would I sneak strawberries into the mix?

(while crossing my fingers that this will work?)

Im so going to screw these poor grains up aren't I? LOL

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

lol I did try to ferment other stuff before with the milk kefir and believe it can be done.

I did try a new recipe this weekend which turned out nice:

2 thinly slice lemons,add piece thinly sliced ginger ,put the 2 together in mason jar and fill with honey.

You can make tea with this ,it taste delicious and will stay good for 2 months in the fridge.

no kefir in this recipe.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

Your kidding me? You are putting lemons into milk kefir??

Don't that make a sort of buttermilk substitute? LOL

(with a little ginger flavor?)

Hey Im an ice tea buff, if I can keep a living ice tea thang going here that would be awesome. That's why I was looking up that Kombucha, even though that looks gross. Both kinds have to be fed with sugar it seems

Then I was looking up how easy it would be to grow sugar cane (for feeding it) and that's pretty easy from what I read, you can even grow it in the south.

Okay, I am getting so psyched to do this, I need some neat hobbies to undertake. And Im trying to do more stuff and not spend as much time with the gift of gab online and so far so good with finding things, this is fun. I thought it would be harder to do but theres lots of weird things just waiting to be undertaken.

My husband used to like that artificial strawberry milk, I thought, if angels4u has made strawberry kefir milk I just might take that up too, just for trying to slip it past him once or twice.

He'll never know.

I mean, if I told him live things made what he was drinking he would never drink it so I must do this on the sly LOL

Okay, Im going to do milk kefir too, and just for that experiment, to see if I can make strawberry milk and to see if I can hide this stuff well enough to get him to drink it.

Since its good for him.

But its just like getting him to eat his vegetables, if he knows (or can see them) he will refuse.

How would I do that if I tried it angels?

Get the milk grains, then put them into the milk, but for how long?

Do the milk grains just eat the milk sugar or do you need to feed them besides just adding them to the milk?

Im not sure on the milk ones.

But then when (if ever) would I sneak strawberries into the mix?

(while crossing my fingers that this will work?)

Im so going to screw these poor grains up aren't I? LOL

The milk grains do eat the sugar.
I make about 1 1/2 cup at the time,it takes about 36 hours depends how warm it is in your house.
Can you get kefir starter where you live?

Hope this helps?  :)

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

How am I supposed to know that theres no kefir in there? LOL

Your supposed to be helping me with kefir recipes sis! laughinsmilie.gif

I wish I had my grains right now,

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Hey thanks for the link too, yeah I can get kefir, I was just going to order the water kefir until I changed my mind talking to you, I think I'll get both the water and the milk.

I needed the nylon strainers, some more half gallon mason jars and a couple of gallons, and organic juices, and a few other things.

I still have picked out the bottles yet, I heard the ones with the lids that flip (but are attached still) are the best ones to use.

Just want to make sure I have what I need for playing around with these.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

Hey thanks for the link too, yeah I can get kefir, I was just going to order the water kefir until I changed my mind talking to you, I think I'll get both the water and the milk.

I needed the nylon strainers, some more half gallon mason jars and a couple of gallons, and organic juices, and a few other things.

I still have picked out the bottles yet, I heard the ones with the lids that flip (but are attached still) are the best ones to use.

I just put paper towel on the top of the bottle while making it or put the lid on very loose so air can escape.

As a rule a couple of table spoons kefir grains and 1 -1/2 cup milk should be fine,don't worry about the temperature,if it's a little warmer in the house is might go faster..it doesn't go bad,usually I leave it for a day or 1 1/2 day and if I don't want to make more kefir I store the grains together with the milk in the fridge. It is best to use whole milk,kefir loves the fat of the milk and sometimes I add coffee cream to the mixture while making it. I don't always rinse the grains before making a new batch,ones in awhile I rinse them under the tap.   It's really easy to make  kefir.! :)

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

I just put paper towel on the top of the bottle while making it or put the lid on very loose so air can escape.
As a rule a couple of table spoons kefir grains and 1 -1/2 cup milk should be fine,don't worry about the temperature,if it's a little warmer in the house is might go faster..it doesn't go bad,usually I leave it for a day or 1 1/2 day and if I don't want to make more kefir I store the grains together with the milk in the fridge. It is best to use whole milk,kefir loves the fat of the milk and sometimes I add coffee cream to the mixture while making it. I don't always rinse the grains before making a new batch,ones in awhile I rinse them under the tap.   It's really easy to make  kefir.! :)

I can quote!! woohoo!

I couldn't do that (just so yanno)

Thanks angels4u, good to know, and I read through the questions on that site you gave me and that was helpful. I didn't know its awful for the first few times till the grains adjust, and that is sort of essential to know, because I would have tried it once and just been like, "Ew, this is gross, and would have tossed them out" lol

Because I make yogurt and various starters for breads and the rest of it, so it should be pretty easy I would think.

Though I did find a yogurt culture at one of the sites found on that link you provided which grows at room temp and that is good to have,
no warming needed with that one. So I was glad I stumbled upon that one too.

UPS just delivered my half gallon mason jars, as soon as the nylon strainers get here I will order the grains, organic juices and sugars and hopefully get started on this within the next several days.

Thanks a bunch angels4u!

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

Where do you  live?

If the transportation is not too far,I can probably mail you some grains ..

I  don't use nylon strainer,just a plastic strainer.

I did make yogurt before,just with a few tablespoons yogurt from the store and lukewarm milk and leave it in oven with  the light on overnight and it should be yogurt .

Did you ever strain yogurt :) 

How  do you make your bread starters ?  :)

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
I ordered this strainer here (but two of them)

http://www.amazon.co...=nylon strainer

(One thing, I cant post links well yet)

Yeah, I made paneer, cottage cheese, made sanfransisco sour dough bread, I got the decent starter for that one over at amazon, and it was really good actually. I have also the recipes in various fermentation books for wild yeast, whether straight or combined with yeast and have tried a few videos showing so much at you tube. Just played around with them is all.

I noticed the grains at the site you provided were like ten times higher then over at amazon, well the prices go from just over a buck to 11 bucks. But I have had good luck from there amazon believe it or not.

Now, I have done buttermilk (three ways) sour cream (a couple of ways) cream cheese (one way) mozzarella cheese also.

I have made my husbands yogurt for a couple of years, so Im used to doing that, and wanted to take up hard cheeses, but that's sorta tougher (and more complicated to me with temp control and all of that.

I thought, Im just gonna tackle these drink stuffs. This looks interesting (and easy enough).

I have a bread maker but Im all intimidated by it, I made dough by it once (but I get nuts looking at all those buttons) so I have steered clear of it and took up no knead breads (and soft pretzel making) rather then go there.

I gotta get my act together I guess. Im no suzy home maker, I like to try stuff.

Thanks for the offer too sis, and I already put the Kefir grains in my cart, I thought, what the heck just plop them in there I have the jars and I gotta toss the first couple of batches, so why wait?

I wish you could post vids here in this section, lets say if you found a decent recipe on a vid because I am certainly not playing one (stopping and starting it) to write out any instructions off of recipes I find on one.

I don't even do that for myself, I do "play alongs" and cook with the person doing what I want to do lol

I don't even know how to post a link to a video without the actual video embedding verses just the link, and I'll get in trouble if I do that. Im just not all that technically swavvy here.

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

I didnt know where to post this, whether this was the proper forum or the hobby forum woud have been better, because it would sorta be a little of both I would think.

I never tried either but I am looking for a few hobbies to busy myself with and two of them really interest me at present.

So I ordered a couple of books and small pieces of equipment needed to take these up and was curious if anyone here has experimented with either?

Oh yeah, and brewing root beer too, I almost forgot. I really like that Virgils root beer and theres a pretty decent root beer brewing video over at you tube I have a good feeling about and I wanted to give that a go, I just have to order all the ingredients and extra bottles.

Anyone else have any luck doing any of these? I am more interested in the water kefir grains and the root beer brewing though.

Any kefir fermenting on the kitchen  counter?   :)

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

LOL Hey sis!  Not yet! I just got a note today in my email saying, the Kefir grains have shipped! Im still waiting on the mailman here.

And you know I wanted to pick up some organic juices but thats way too expensive to ship whether its one bottle or a six pack. So I settled experimenting with one concentrate andon Lakewood organic juice. The store locator by me showed Publix is the only grocery store here that carries it, so me and the hubby made a special trip there yesterday. I picked up 4 flavors (for the water kefir that is) and I ordered my beer bottles (for bottling it) and thats fine if they come late because I probably wont be ready for those for a couple of weeks.

But yeah, Im pretty excited! I should know something after a couple of weeks Im thinking.

Im guessing I should toss the first couple of sugar water batches, which would be what? Bout 6 days down the tubes? Then do another 2-3 days, and then a second fermenting, and then bottle it (if I like it)

Im sorta nervous about the bottles exploding or something, thats my only worry with this.

Im gonna give my dogs the milk kefir I think. Not sure, it wont go to waste because they like the stuff I bought at the store. Although they seem to gravitate to anything with living organisms in it. They love sour dough starter too lol

I was going to say, dogs know what is good, but that just doesnt work out in reality (all the time)  because they eat some pretty gross stuff too.

No Kefir YET sis, hopefully soon lol

angels4u

angels4u

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

LOL Hey sis!  Not yet! I just got a note today in my email saying, the Kefir grains have shipped! Im still waiting on the mailman here.

And you know I wanted to pick up some organic juices but thats way too expensive to ship whether its one bottle or a six pack. So I settled experimenting with one concentrate andon Lakewood organic juice. The store locator by me showed Publix is the only grocery store here that carries it, so me and the hubby made a special trip there yesterday. I picked up 4 flavors (for the water kefir that is) and I ordered my beer bottles (for bottling it) and thats fine if they come late because I probably wont be ready for those for a couple of weeks.

But yeah, Im pretty excited! I should know something after a couple of weeks Im thinking.

Im guessing I should toss the first couple of sugar water batches, which would be what? Bout 6 days down the tubes? Then do another 2-3 days, and then a second fermenting, and then bottle it (if I like it)

Im sorta nervous about the bottles exploding or something, thats my only worry with this.

Im gonna give my dogs the milk kefir I think. Not sure, it wont go to waste because they like the stuff I bought at the store. Although they seem to gravitate to anything with living organisms in it. They love sour dough starter too lol

I was going to say, dogs know what is good, but that just doesnt work out in reality (all the time)  because they eat some pretty gross stuff too.

No Kefir YET sis, hopefully soon lol

You're on your way to make the kefir soon:)

It sounds very interesting :)

Why don't you drink the milk kefir from the store yourself ? It taste  so good!

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

I have put it in smoothies. I would still do that if I made one because I dont like it plain so much, but in one of those would be fine.

I'm just bored and I like experimenting with stuff when I am.

Not into experimenting with bungy jumping like Hall7 is, because that is some dangerous boredom (lol)

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network