christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Hopeless romantic.

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
What exactly does "it" look like?

Do "they" still exist?

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

A hopeless romantic is a person who is in love with being in love.  It's all that matters to them.  They tend to be over sentimental about things.  A hopeless romantic tends to keep everything that reminds them of something  or someone.  A hopeless romantic will keep the restauraunt receipt of the dinner they had on a first date with someone special.  Stuff like that.  They tend to look at life through the lense of romance and romantic fair tales, knights in shining armor, etc.

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

A hopeless romantic is a person who is in love with being in love. It's all that matters to them. They tend to be over sentimental about things. A hopeless romantic tends to keep everything that reminds them of something or someone. A hopeless romantic will keep the restauraunt receipt of the dinner they had on a first date with someone special. Stuff like that. They tend to look at life through the lense of romance and romantic fair tales, knights in shining armor, etc.

Jeez... You've described me perfectly, Shiloh. :blush2:

:P

~

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Lol Dakilang!

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests

A hopeless romantic is a person who is in love with being in love.  It's all that matters to them.  They tend to be over sentimental about things.  A hopeless romantic tends to keep everything that reminds them of something  or someone.  A hopeless romantic will keep the restauraunt receipt of the dinner they had on a first date with someone special.  Stuff like that.  They tend to look at life through the lense of romance and romantic fair tales, knights in shining armor, etc.

So a romantic hoarder!!

Is the focus more on the situation rather than the person?

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
I think that there ought to be two categories of romantics: the one Shiloh has described (the worldly romantic), and the one who hopes for the best in love that God can give (the Christian romantic).

I'm a romantic, and I'm putting myself in the second category :wub:

And yes, I'm not ashamed to admit it :)

By the way HG, if you want to know real hopeless romantics, just pick up any romance book and read it. Then you'll know that there are still many of them in the world. (The books are also sources of good lessons of what worldly relationships are like.)

~

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Well that's got me thinking now....Christian helpless romantics -

Maybe that's putting someone OR the situation (the state of being in love) on a pedestal.

Not sure if that's a good thing.

Guest_HisG_*

Guest_HisG_*
  • Guests
Showering someone with chocolates, candy, perfume, flowers and jewellery sounds wonderful - but all the time?

Not so sure.

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Well that's got me thinking now....Christian helpless romantics -

Maybe that's putting someone OR the situation (the state of being in love) on a pedestal.

Not sure if that's a good thing.

Not on a pedestal, no.

It is simply this:

The woman: surrender to her husband. And love him as best as she can.

The man: love her as Jesus has loved the Church. Warts and all.

In other words, just the ideal Christian relationship.

God can give the best. Why not have then the required faith in him, and hope for the best too?

After all, marriage is only once for the many of us.

~

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Blessings HisG,

There are plenty of hopeless romantics still in the world and I suppose they are called "hopeless for a reason",their views on romance may be a little unrealistic......dreams of a perfect romance with a perfect partner is not likely and usually the hopeless romantic will suffer many a disappointment........ they tend to see romance through rose colored lenses,people are just not perfect and to rely on another person for your own  happiness has little to do with Christianity

Putting all trust in God,Jesus being Lord of our life and having faith in Him & focusing on what is eternal brings complete joy & happiness,if God sends us a mate to rejoice in these things together it is an added benefit but not our main focus.

With love,in Christ-Kwik

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

So a romantic hoarder!!

Is the focus more on the situation rather than the person?

In many cases, yes.   One guy I grew up got married, but couldn't handle it because he was in love with the idea of being married, more than his wife.  He was very idealistic about marriage and what he thought marriage was supposed to be like and what the perfect wife was like and when all of that didn't work out, he become disillusioned and wasn't interested in being married anymore.

He wasn't in love with her.  He was in love with fanatasy, more or less.  He was in love with this image of the perfect marriage he had conjured up in his head and wasn't prepared for the curve balls that life always throws into our best laid plans.

Hopeless romantics tend to have what we in the states call a "pie-in-the-sky" notion of love.   Keep in mind that romance is not love.  The hopeless romantic is all about the trappings, like flowers, candy and sunset walks on the beach, but all of this tends to deflate and blow away when the euphoria of a new relationship wears off and real life issues come into play.  They don't like having to work through those areas of relationships, especially marriage where there are money problems, and personality conflicts.  Love is not like that.

Every marriage is plagued with having to work through those little annoying habits your spouse has that you didn't notice when you first got married, but now drive you crazy.  The hopeless romantic cannot say, "you know what?  you do some things that drive me to want to climb the walls, but let's work through this because we love each other."   The hopeless romantic wants his/her life to look like one of the plastic love stories on the Hallmark Channel (do you get that channel in Oz?).  He/she lives in a make-believe world where all of their relationship issues can be solved in an hour and a half.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network