christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is It Wrong To Buy A Lottery Ticket

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

LadyKay

LadyKay

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Okay, I must confess. I have bought a lottery ticket from time to time. I like to buy the $1.00 or $2.00 scratch offs just for the fun of it. If I win nothing more then $1.00 I go "weeeee I won a dollar!" But I am not really sure if it is right for me to do this. I have heard some people say who have won that God told them what numbers to pick. God has never told me what numbers to pick as I know of and yes I have asked him. :grin:  Well anyway, your thoughts?

Butero

Butero

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts

There is nothing in the Bible that says it is wrong to gamble.  I will usually buy a couple of tickets a year on the Power Ball when the jackpot gets real high, just to take my one shot.  I don't see anything wrong with buying an occassional scratch off ticket, unless you are using money for food or bills to do it.  To me, its no different than any other form of entertainment. 

HumbleThinker

HumbleThinker

• Seeker
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Okay, I must confess. I have bought a lottery ticket from time to time. I like to buy the $1.00 or $2.00 scratch offs just for the fun of it. If I win nothing more then $1.00 I go "weeeee I won a dollar!" But I am not really sure if it is right for me to do this. I have heard some people say who have won that God told them what numbers to pick. God has never told me what numbers to pick as I know of and yes I have asked him. :grin: Well anyway, your thoughts?

I personally wouldn't these days since it is gambling which is a waste of money and cancultivate some poor behavior unintentionally. Obviously the less you do it the less of a problem it is but not doing it at all seems to be the best course as it does not risk our mind straying from God. That said asbutero said, it can fall into the same category as entertainment if you find it entertaining.

Edited by HumbleThinker, 17 December 2013 - 12:18 PM.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts

I believe that after one has tithed, saved, paid the bills, and bought the necessities, the rest is disposable income and if you want to buy a lottery ticket - and your not on the dole - go for it. After all, "you can't win if you're not in." Just my opinion.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

hmmm...I wouldn't call out someone who does buy them...although I don't personally...which means of course you won't see my name in the news LOL!

but of course, if you do, should not be your 1st priority...

I think they should only go up to a certain point and then make more than one prize.....still wouldn't alter my purchase decisions tho

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

The Powerball is Wed. and Sat. I buy 2 tickets for each drawing. My mother is too old and weak to drive so I get the tickets for her. Yes I know if she wins I will get a share of the winnings, so I guess I'm technically playing the lottery. I personally don't see a problem with it. Others may view it as sinning but I don't. There's nothing in the Word that prohibits gambling.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts

The Hoosier Lottery here in Indiana tonight is over $500,000,000. Over half a billion dollars! They say the odds of winning in 1 in over 250 million. Almost the population of the U.S. I haven't bought a ticket, though. Thinking about it.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,023 posts

My hubby and I will get one ticket when the lottery here gets into a large figure. Tonight's Mega drawing is estimated to be $585 million. We have our one little ticket lol. Its entertainment for us. If God wants us to win, we can win on one little ticket.

Any sin in lottery is if one is taking money needed in the household and using that to buy tickets, causing harm to the family. For gambling addicts, buying lottery tickets would be a sin too. 

Guest_ninhao_*

Guest_ninhao_*
  • Guests

I think it's wrong to play lottery for mathematical reasons. :D

The chances of winning jackpot are between 1 in 8 million and 1 in 76 million depending upon the game type.

But good luck to all who play ( you'll be requiring it )

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

The Powerball is Wed. and Sat. I buy 2 tickets for each drawing. My mother is too old and weak to drive so I get the tickets for her. Yes I know if she wins I will get a share of the winnings, so I guess I'm technically playing the lottery. I personally don't see a problem with it. Others may view it as sinning but I don't. There's nothing in the Word that prohibits gambling.

That is sweet that you do that for your mom man.......

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

I don't think it is right to use non disposable income to buy the tickets.   One should not take away from the falimly needs in hopes of getting rich.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I don't think it is right to use non disposable income to buy the tickets.   One should not take away from the falimly needs in hopes of getting rich.

What if there are no family needs?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

What if there are no family needs?

unless it drives you life, then i don't see anything wrong with it.....   if it becomes a driving force in your life and you don't seem to  be able not to buy the tickets then it's a spiritual problem and is not good....    with some people it is to the point of being idolatry.   So to know if it's ok or not. one would have to know the person buying the tickets.

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

People try and say it is wrong but I don't see the issue.  I know this one thing for sure- I'd rather a CHRISTIAN WIN - somebody that would hopefully use some for God's glory.

I know I wouldn't be greedy and would help many many people.

Edited by WillfromTexas, 18 December 2013 - 09:40 PM.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Yes, but in a nutshell just stick to the old adage - "never gamble more than you can afford to lose". If you think about what this really means, then you would never take away from the family needs.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,559 posts

Yes, but in a nutshell just stick to the old adage - "never gamble more than you can afford to lose". If you think about what this really means, then you would never take away from the family needs.

That is a very good way to look at it and I've had some oil investors tell me that exact thing in going into partners to drill an oil well....     and there
' better odds on the oil well than the lottery....   and we decided not to do either..

But I do think everyone should buy one ticket in their lifetime.....   just to see if God wants them to be rich.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

That is a very good way to look at it and I've had some oil investors tell me that exact thing in going into partners to drill an oil well....     and there
' better odds on the oil well than the lottery....   and we decided not to do either..

But I do think everyone should buy one ticket in their lifetime.....   just to see if God wants them to be rich.

That reminds me of an old joke:

A man prays to God and says "Lord please help me, my wife is ill and is dying. We can't afford medical treatment. I've lost my job. My children have little food. We are in debt. Please let me win the lottery this week. Just this once."

The week comes and goes and the man does not win the lottery.

The man prays again. "Lord, I asked you last week for me to win the lottery jackpot, but nothing happened. Please let me win this week. My need is great. My wife is even worse. My kids are hungry. We have almost run out of money. Please let me win."

The week passes by and the man wins nothing, not a cent.

He prays again, "Please Lord, let me win the lottery. You know my need is great. I'll never ask for anything ever again. We are short of money and I can't see any other way out."

Again, the week passes and still no win.

This time the man is quite angry, "Oh Lord, he prays. Why have you forsaken me? Why can't I win the lottery. Just one win? I'll never gamble again."

This time the Lord speaks to him. "Do me a favour," says God, "Meet me half way. BUY A TICKET!!!"

1x1is1

1x1is1

• PipPip
  • 245 posts

I purchase one when the prize is high.  Interesting and fun.  But I suppose that I fall into the same category as most of us in here, I don't glue my nose to the screen as the numbers are picked.......it may be days or even weeks sometimes before I check the winning numbers. :mgbowtie:

Joshua-777

Joshua-777

Royal Member

• Worthy Prayer Partner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

Years ago, when I first applied for bible college, I needed to have a drivers license or state ID to register. Mine was destroyed, and I had only five dollars left after bills. The DMV charges 60$ for a new one, and I needed one that week. As I was walking home from work, I heard in my heart, by a lottery ticket. I went in the store and looked, and there was one that stuck out to me. It was five bucks. I went home and told my wife I feel like God is saying to get a lottery ticket with our last five bucks. She agreed, so I went back to the store and got the one that caught my eye, scratched it and won 100$. The next day, got my state ID and finished registering for college.

That only happened once, but it's still pretty awesome to me God would use a lotto ticket to get me where He was calling me.

ryanmercer

ryanmercer
  • Members *
  • 15 posts

The Hoosier Lottery here in Indiana tonight is over $500,000,000. Over half a billion dollars! They say the odds of winning in 1 in over 250 million. Almost the population of the U.S. I haven't bought a ticket, though. Thinking about it.

-----------------------

That was the mega millions not the hoosier, and hello from another hoosier!

-----------------------

I think it's wrong to play lottery for mathematical reasons. :D

The chances of winning jackpot are between 1 in 8 million and 1 in 76 million depending upon the game type.

But good luck to all who play ( you'll be requiring it )

-----------------------

Actually... even worse, the mega millions is 1 in 258,890,850.00 to win the jacpot

Here is the full breakdown of Mega Millions

Ticket Matches       Payout           Odds               Probability
--------------------------------------------------------------------
5 White + Mega      Jackpot    1 in 258,890,850.00      0.000000003863
5 White No Mega   1,000,000    1 in 18,492,203.57       0.00000005408
4 White + Mega        5,000    1 in 739,688.14          0.000001352
4 White No Mega         500    1 in 52,834.87           0.00001893
3 White + Mega           50    1 in 10,720.12           0.00009328
3 White No Mega           5    1 in 765.72              0.001306
2 White + Mega            5    1 in 472.95              0.002114
1 White + Mega            2    1 in 56.47               0.01771
0 White + Mega            1    1 in 21.39               0.04675

Win something      Variable    1 in 14.71               0.0679916

-----------------------

Okay, I must confess. I have bought a lottery ticket from time to time. I like to buy the $1.00 or $2.00 scratch offs just for the fun of it. If I win nothing more then $1.00 I go "weeeee I won a dollar!" But I am not really sure if it is right for me to do this. I have heard some people say who have won that God told them what numbers to pick. God has never told me what numbers to pick as I know of and yes I have asked him. :grin:  Well anyway, your thoughts?

-----------------------

I'd say yes and no. It's entirely too easy for it to become idol worship. When these jackpots get big people start obsessing about it, talking about how they are going to spend their winnings when they win the jackpot, buying ticket after ticket after ticket, getting ritualistic trying to increase their luck, praying to God that they will win and all the good they'll do in His name if He just lets them win...

Edited by ryanmercer, 29 December 2013 - 06:54 PM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network