christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you love god just to enter heaven?

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Sometimes i wonder whether we are loving god just to enter heaven and its more of a love out of fear of hell than love for god and his works..this is one of my doubts, Hypothetically speaking, If we were to get the message, that we weren't going to heaven, would we still love him with all our fervor? would we give up?

Is it possible to love God so much that you would love him even if you didn't make it to heaven (though that's contradictory since if you loved him so much, you would be going to heaven!)

That would be my ideal form of love, to love him irrespective off our eternal future.

please share your views, i know that when you really love god you don't care about heaven or hell and just loving him is all that you need. but when your fate has been revealed to you, would you still love him with the same strength? this is my question.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,027 posts

My love for Him is not based on being in heaven. It is based on Him and Him alone. Not for anything I can get out of Him. This is a good thing for all believers to consider. Do they love the Lord with all their being, as scripture says?

Mark 12

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is , "Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord;
30 and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength." This is the first commandment.

chloe_fantastic

chloe_fantastic

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

I don't love Him just to enter Heaven now, but I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of the main motivations as a new believer. I've had time to get to know Him now in a way that can't be experienced by just having someone share the Gospel with me. Now I love Him because I know Him.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Greetings jaberwockie,

I love the Lord with all my heart ,all my soul & all my mind....hell is to be cast out of Gods presence & into eternal darkness(amongst other horrors)my Lord & Savior gave His life that I could be reconciled back to my Father, I cannot make sense out of this question........

Praise & Glory to God-Kwik

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

hello kwik, yes i know its a bit contradictory! but i have problems with my faith now and then so questions like these arise...about how much i actually love god, and is the love i have enough? am i showing it enough? questions like these are things that plague me now and then...just thought id share them with the community! 

thanks for the reply anyway kwik! 

its nice getting to know people here!

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Blessings jaberwockie,

Thats what fellowship is all about,we reason things together....so let us reason & not make up hypothetical questions that need not  even enter your mind....if you are at a low point right now then it is enough to meditate on Gods Truth not things that are not eternal.....Let me encourage you that God has enough love to sustain you while you think you are unable to love (or questioning your love)& will help you with anything you ask of Him,even to love Him more!!!!!!

We so often rely on our own"unreliable"hearts & minds because it is a very natural thing to do,we are used to being lead by our thoughts & emotions......in submission & complete surrender to Christ we are letting go of these things & as we decrease ,He increases(supernaturally).Brother,immerse yourself in the Word of God,talk to Jesus...ask Him for His Heart& Mind

Faith comes by hearing,do you belong to a local church,where you can physically join in with others in praise & worship(it helps so much)God inhabits our praises & where He is-so is love.....I pray you are comforted by the Holy Spirit & receive confidence & the Blessed Assurance that you do not have to do anything but surrender & Jesus will do it all for you,He already has.....

Talk more with us,the more you talk the better to resolve your doubts & fears.....we love you & support you!

God bless you,in Christ-Kwik

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Blessings jaberwockie,

Thats what fellowship is all about,we reason things together....so let us reason & not make up hypothetical questions that need not  even enter your mind....if you are at a low point right now then it is enough to meditate on Gods Truth not things that are not eternal.....Let me encourage you that God has enough love to sustain you while you think you are unable to love (or questioning your love)& will help you with anything you ask of Him,even to love Him more!!!!!!

We so often rely on our own"unreliable"hearts & minds because it is a very natural thing to do,we are used to being lead by our thoughts & emotions......in submission & complete surrender to Christ we are letting go of these things & as we decrease ,He increases(supernaturally).Brother,immerse yourself in the Word of God,talk to Jesus...ask Him for His Heart& Mind

Faith comes by hearing,do you belong to a local church,where you can physically join in with others in praise & worship(it helps so much)God inhabits our praises & where He is-so is love.....I pray you are comforted by the Holy Spirit & receive confidence & the Blessed Assurance that you do not have to do anything but surrender & Jesus will do it all for you,He already has.....

Talk more with us,the more you talk the better to resolve your doubts & fears.....we love you & support you!

God bless you,in Christ-Kwik

Thank you kwik for the encouraging words! Indeed i will let god lead me from now, i am very much searching for a good church in my area but its tough to find the right one...most of the churches i have attended so far have too much church politics than actual worship and reverence to god...so that is something that i am actively trying to find! 

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Blessings My Brother!

This is good news....& do not despair,as His Word says,"Be of good courage as you wait on Him",Our Lord will never let you down my friend,He is faithful & true to His Word........people will often fail & disappoint us but not God,as you search the different churches focus on the Lord & take every good thing that the service you attend brings to you & just leave the rest behind.

I am praying with you & trusting God will lead you & guide you by the power of His Holy Spirit......remember if you keep your spirit filled with the things of God there will be no room for any doubt.......I bless & thank the Lord our God!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Blessings My Brother!

This is good news....& do not despair,as His Word says,"Be of good courage as you wait on Him",Our Lord will never let you down my friend,He is faithful & true to His Word........people will often fail & disappoint us but not God,as you search the different churches focus on the Lord & take every good thing that the service you attend brings to you & just leave the rest behind.

I am praying with you & trusting God will lead you & guide you by the power of His Holy Spirit......remember if you keep your spirit filled with the things of God there will be no room for any doubt.......I bless & thank the Lord our God!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Amen to that! i'm never going to stop searching for him! dry days and empty spells may come my way but lord Jesus Christ is always there behind the fog and mist waiting for us!

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Blessings Brother,

Wow,sounds like you have had a refreshed indwelling....Praise the Lord!!!!!Remember,we love you as does Christ & that anytime you may feel you are experiencing dry days or empty spells that we are all together as One Body ,we laugh together,cry together,encourage & extol one another & we can get through anything together in Christ Jesus........the Lord has brought this Family together by no accident,He blesses us through each other.......Wow,Glory to God!!!!!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,426 posts

Blessings Brother,

Wow,sounds like you have had a refreshed indwelling....Praise the Lord!!!!!Remember,we love you as does Christ & that anytime you may feel you are experiencing dry days or empty spells that we are all together as One Body ,we laugh together,cry together,encourage & extol one another & we can get through anything together in Christ Jesus........the Lord has brought this Family together by no accident,He blesses us through each other.......Wow,Glory to God!!!!!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

Amen, Kwik!  :mgbowtie:

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,572 posts

As for me, when I looked and saw who Jesus was and what he had done for us, it just seemed he is about the coolest dude I could ever meet....   So I follow him in hopes of meeting and getting to know him.....   heaven is just where this will most likely take place......    but if it's here or anywhere else, that's where I want to be.....   meeting and getting to know and understand him on a personal level.    We're growing as it is, but it won't be the same then.

Sedoy

Sedoy
  • Members
  • 43 posts
The meaning of life.

Age old question bothering humanity.

I heard this story somewhere:

People built the biggest supercomputer ever. Downloaded every bit of information about everything into it and asked computer one question: What is the meaning of life?
3000 years went by. Finally Computer declared that it came up with an answer. People from all over the world gathered to hear it.
Computer said… 47

There is no meaning of life outside of God and no computer of any kind can find it.

Meaning of life is to choose God and learn about God. Learn about other things but learn all you can about God foremost.

God wants you to love him but he cannot make you love him if you do not know him.

God cannot just give you knowledge since you must have a right to be ignorant.

God did not create evil. He left out possibility for evil to exist. Can there be good without possibility of evil? How do you know that you love if you are not capable of hate?

God wants you to love Him and he will love you back. Being in his presence and in his love is the most awesome state of being one can experience. This is what we were created for and this is what we lost back when men decided to choose sin.

One can no more be happy apart from God then a sidecar can go on the ride without motorcycle. Pride, the foundation of all sin drives people to want to be their own motorcycles. It will never happen, it cannot happen but pride makes people blind.
Pride made Lucifer want to be his own “god” and it works the same way in people.

Seems like people who rebel against God are trying to change the mind of God on some issues. What a futile waste of effort! God is outside of time and since time is a measure of change God does not change. It is simply impossible!

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

I'm trying to understand the title of this thread.

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I'm trying to understand the title of this thread.

http://carm.org/can-...r-way-to-heaven    :)

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts

When I first accepted Christ, I'm sure it was because of the fear of going to Hell. But, as I matured in my relationship with Him, I began to obey Him and allow Him to live through me out of an appreciation of what He had/has done for me. That is why I try not to sin; not to maintain my salvation, but to show my appreciation to Christ for His salvation, mercy and grace.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,161 posts

If we are even concerned for our soul and whether it goes to heaven or hell that is a good thing.It is the first step of wanting to know who  our Creator really is.Their are many unbelievers who do not even believe in heaven or hell.

Sharlene n Seumas

Sharlene n Seumas
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Greetings One and All and the Jaberwokie,

Ah the question of love. Perhaps the song sung to me when I was five years may help.

''Love is that;

Which the essence of another is

essential to your own existence''

As to heaven, your music enable this to come to life in the Father's embrace.

Sophie knows that love of the Father and destiny is assured.

So rest you by the Tumtum tree; And stand awile in thought: about your Father (god) and his will be yours which is love.

Seumas

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,572 posts

I know people who seem to accept Christ as a fire insurance policy.

wincam

wincam
  • Members
  • 61 posts

the answer, should be accepted no matter where it comes from - "if I love Thee for fear of hell, cast me into hell, if I love Thee through desire for Paradise [heaven] deny me Paradise, but if I love Thee for thine own sake turn not away from me thy everlasting love"[Rabina - muslim woman mystic] - wincam

Edited by wincam, 22 December 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network