christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A modern context of leaving everything to follow god

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

In today's world does that mean giving up computers, smartphones, and anything else that distracts you from god? is it becoming a Priest/Nun or going into the church so as to dedicate your life in that way?

In my opinion, it is to rid yourself from all distractions so our target and goal is very clear. Jesus Christ.

I have given my Android to my brother since he wanted to buy a phone anyway...its been helpful but i still use my dads laptop (what im using right now) and i need that to update my moms blog (she writes about the miracles in her life, ill add a link below)

Im really torn between Going all out Amish style I.E no electronics or anything that can serve as a distraction or something toned down like just using it for the bare necessities.

In my Heart i know i want to give up this laptop as i spend a lot of time on it and end up forgetting god.

I really want to follow god with all my heart and with as much vigor as i can but im not able to balance these things adequately in my life...anyway i know this is something i have to figure out on my own..But im interested in hearing how you guys cope with distractions in the world...do you alienate them or use them sparingly. 

Edited by jaberwockie, 14 January 2014 - 03:02 PM.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,932 posts

If you enter  a monastic type setting, how do you spread the word of Christ as we are called to do? That is our service to God.

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

If you enter  a monastic type setting, how do you spread the word of Christ as we are called to do? That is our service to God.

Im not saying -go to the mountains style life-...more like getting rid of every singe distraction that would hinder us from doing our duties as Christians.. which includes spreading the word and more importantly loving him with all our heart...everything, i feel, follows automatically after your able to love him with all your heart..that is something i am sincerely trying to achieve.

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi jaberwockie.

I think that the answer you're seeking is unique to every person, and that each one of us is individually led by God to sacrifice different aspects of our lives -- according to our individual needs -- so that we can be free to seek him more deeply.

Therefore, there is no formula for this. If you had given up your Android because you felt that God was leading you to do it, so that you'll have less distractions, then that's alright. But if you had done it just because you thought you should and felt pressured by some principles, then I don't think that's okay. After all, we do have to live in this world, and unless you are being specifically called by God to live as an ascetic, then there are things we need in order to live productively, like computers and cellphones.

I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have two lessons for you, my brother.

First, the aspects of your life that God will ask you to sacrifice are those that are enslaving you and/or preventing you to become closer to him. In my own life, an example of this was my collection of MP3s. I'm a frustrated guitarist, but I love music nevertheless, and I had thousands of music files. And yes, for the sake of spiritual growth, I had sacrificed them -- deleted them in my computer and gave my CDs away, until the only ones that were left were worship songs.

And second, once you are ready to receive and have matured enough, God will give the things you had sacrificed back to you, but in different forms now -- forms that are more godly and more pure. For example, when God gave me back music, I still liked country, love songs, and acoustics, but I had already lost much of my taste for hard rock and metal. (Though I didn't share their culture, I had loved Guns N' Roses and other such bands.)

A reminder regarding my second lesson: this is now a matter of trust. If you have reached this stage and have the things you had sacrificed returned to you, this means that God is now trusting you that you will not let these things enslave you again. He is trusting you that, even with these things back in your possession, he will always be the number one in your life.

Anyway, God bless you, brother, in your endeavor. I salute you! :thumbsup:

~

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

In today's world does that mean giving up computers, smartphones, and anything else that distracts you from god? is it becoming a Priest/Nun or going into the church so as to dedicate your life in that way?

In my opinion, it is to rid yourself from all distractions so our target and goal is very clear. Jesus Christ.

I have given my Android to my brother since he wanted to buy a phone anyway...its been helpful but i still use my dads laptop (what im using right now) and i need that to update my moms blog (she writes about the miracles in her life, ill add a link below)

Im really torn between Going all out Amish style I.E no electronics or anything that can serve as a distraction or something toned down like just using it for the bare necessities.

In my Heart i know i want to give up this laptop as i spend a lot of time on it and end up forgetting god.

I really want to follow god with all my heart and with as much vigor as i can but im not able to balance these things adequately in my life...anyway i know this is something i have to figure out on my own..But im interested in hearing how you guys cope with distractions in the world...do you alienate them or use them sparingly. 

my moms blog - mysteryofmiracles.wordpress.com

Go easy on her shes new to blogging! She wants to share all the miracles that have happened to her,  so i made this blog for her.

Giving up all of your electronics and trying to remove all distractions won't make you a better follower of Christ.  The problem is that you wil never get to that place where you feel you have given up enough.  The irony will be that you end up not focusing on Christ, but are focused on achieving particular level of piety that makes you feel like you are following Jesus, when in fact, your focus ends up being self-absorbed.

Giving up all to follow Jesus doesn't mean shedding matieral possessions, necessarily.   It is really a heart attitude.  The willingness to follow Jesus if following means the losing of all you have, is what he asks for.  Will you follow Jesus if following Him means that you have to choose between Jesus or your family? Between Jesus and your reputation in the community?    Will you follow Jesus if following Jesus means that your life becomes a scandal in the eyes of those around you?

That is what Jesus meant by being willing to deny yourself, take up your cross (the scandal) and follow Him no matter what the cost to you here on earth.  Paul says that he counts everything as loss in order that he might gain Christ.   

Paul gave up his career as a Pharisee, suffered intense persecution and loss during his ministry.   To follow Jesus doesn't mean trying to manufacture piety by trying to rid yourself of material possessions.  It means following Jesus with your whole heart and being willing to lose what following Jesus will cost you.   Trust me, it may cost you a lot more than an Android or an IPad.

Dak

Dak

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
I'm with you, Shiloh.

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Hi jaberwockie.

I think that the answer you're seeking is unique to every person, and that each one of us is individually led by God to sacrifice different aspects of our lives -- according to our individual needs -- so that we can be free to seek him more deeply.

Therefore, there is no formula for this. If you had given up your Android because you felt that God was leading you to do it, so that you'll have less distractions, then that's alright. But if you had done it just because you thought you should and felt pressured by some principles, then I don't think that's okay. After all, we do have to live in this world, and unless you are being specifically called by God to live as an ascetic, then there are things we need in order to live productively, like computers and cellphones.

I can only speak from my own experiences, but I have two lessons for you, my brother.

First, the aspects of your life that God will ask you to sacrifice are those that are enslaving you and/or preventing you to become closer to him. In my own life, an example of this was my collection of MP3s. I'm a frustrated guitarist, but I love music nevertheless, and I had thousands of music files. And yes, for the sake of spiritual growth, I had sacrificed them -- deleted them in my computer and gave my CDs away, until the only ones that were left were worship songs.

And second, once you are ready to receive and have matured enough, God will give the things you had sacrificed back to you, but in different forms now -- forms that are more godly and more pure. For example, when God gave me back music, I still liked country, love songs, and acoustics, but I had already lost much of my taste for hard rock and metal. (Though I didn't share their culture, I had loved Guns N' Roses and other such bands.)

A reminder regarding my second lesson: this is now a matter of trust. If you have reached this stage and have the things you had sacrificed returned to you, this means that God is now trusting you that you will not let these things enslave you again. He is trusting you that, even with these things back in your possession, he will always be the number one in your life.

Anyway, God bless you, brother, in your endeavor. I salute you! :thumbsup:

~

Yeah that seems to sum it up relatively accurately...My android was pretty much enslaving me...i just got up everyday and i was on my android for the rest of the day..my time spent worshiping or even thinking of  god was pathetically minuscule, hence my reason of giving it away...also you are right shiloh..i shouldn't turn myself into a modern day pharisee by following some strict set path and hoping il find god that way...I guess the road i should take would be a- No matter what path you take, if God is on it and he is the ultimate goal then you are good to go-

That would be the best path to follow i feel..And i can imagine the kind of sacrifices god may want me to make will be really important...much more important than giving away a phone/etc...either way, i will deliberate the entire matter in prayer.

Thanks for the replies guys...it helps to put forth questions so you can get second hand opinions on them :)

Edited by jaberwockie, 21 December 2013 - 07:14 AM.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

my moms blog - mysteryofmiracles.wordpress.com

Go easy on her shes new to blogging! She wants to share all the miracles that have happened to her,  so i made this blog for her.

I don't think Jesus wants you to do away with anything that might be a distraction, but include him in whatever you are doing.  Obviously not doing things that he would not approve.  Instead of getting rid of the phone because you think it a distraction, use the phone to spread the word and keep up with others needs.  While it's not a good thing to set and play "Angry Birds" all day, there's nothing wrong with taking a few minutes now and then to fling a feather.......   but you can put Jesus in the middle of such things also.

I just think he wants to be a part of whatever we are doing.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network